ADVERTISEMENT

No AJ

It’s not up to me lol. But seriously, you don’t see the problems with this guy? Didn’t Chittum already leave due to these people?
Yes. The Ferraris were dismissed from Blair Academy after getting into a fight with Chittum (as a teammate). Bringing them to Iowa was a direct slap in the face to Chittum, so it's no wonder he left.

How do I figure that Iowa would attract top shelf coaching candidates? Is that a serious question?

Doug is a fantastic guy and in the perfect spot for him. The fans love him so much that they aren't super concerned his results are only pedestrian. He has the same issues with injuries and burnout that we see in Iowa City. You wouldn't find a better person to run a program but at the end of the day he hasn't done enough at UNI to warrant serious consideration in Iowa City or another big time job.
I'm talking about this, "Any change shouldn’t be expected to be more than a Blip."

Bringing in a big name will move the needle (and we have the resources to do it) and you agree. So I'm not sure what you're trying to argue with me over.

Yes. The Ferraris were dismissed from Blair Academy after getting into a fight with Chittum (as a teammate). Bringing them to Iowa was a direct slap in the face to Chittum, so it's no wonder he left.
This has been covered ad nauseam. Chittum was in Iowa City training with the HWC for close to 8 months before any Ferrari entered the picture. He had ample time to sign and he didn't.

Ferrari or no Ferrari, he wasn't staying.

This has been covered ad nauseam. Chittum was in Iowa City training with the HWC for close to 8 months before any Ferrari entered the picture. He had ample time to sign and he didn't.

athletes don't have to sign letters of intent...they usually do, but they don't have to

obviously this was a weird situation, but "he left because the team recruited a guy he had a history with" is infinitely more plausible than "he knew he was leaving after less than a year the whole time"

This is a lot of cope. As you said, he was in Iowa City training with HWC for 8 months. Why would he be there if it wasn't with the intention to sign eventually? He smartly kept his options open and it paid off when TnT burned him.

This is a lot of cope. As you said, he was in Iowa City training with HWC for 8 months. Why would he be there if it wasn't with the intention to sign eventually? He smartly kept his options open and it paid off when TnT burned him.
Why would he spend 8 months there and not commit? They gave him everything.
You say he smartly kept his options open and they paid off, I think he kept them open because he only had one foot in.

That or his dad controls everything in his life and was looking for a way out, which is likely what happened.

Why would he spend 8 months there and not commit? They gave him everything.
You say he smartly kept his options open and they paid off, I think he kept them open because he only had one foot in.

That or his dad controls everything in his life and was looking for a way out, which is likely what happened.
its possible he wasn't sure about the situation (and wanted to keep options open) and then the recruitment of ferraris made them leave

so, sure he probably wasn't ever 100% hawkeye (which i bet is more common than fans of any team would like to admit), but that doesn't mean bringing the ferraris isn't what cost them chittum

Reactions: Ilhawk135
athletes don't have to sign letters of intent...they usually do, but they don't have to

obviously this was a weird situation, but "he left because the team recruited a guy he had a history with" is infinitely more plausible than "he knew he was leaving after less than a year the whole time"
No they don't, but a vast majority do sign the NLI so it closes the recruitment door. That never happened here. To me, that shows a lack to fully commit.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for that giant gaping 8 month period before the Ferraris entered the picture.

I didn’t suggest they would or wouldn’t but these are Probly the best proven guys who have improved programs they have gone to. I replied to the question who they should go after and just listed guys that aren’t in the Hawkeye tree.

Who are you going after?
Sticking with Tom Brands, until he stops. Then, we'll see who surfaces when things change. Iowa (state of) connection a big plus, but it doesn't have to be an Iowa alum. I'd like to see if Spencer Lee pursues coaching.

No they don't, but a vast majority do sign the NLI so it closes the recruitment door. That never happened here. To me, that shows a lack to fully commit.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for that giant gaping 8 month period before the Ferraris entered the picture.
Why should Tom trust a recruit who has a history of jumping around since starting high school, and refuses to sign his letter of intent. I think that says he wants 2 more free transfers in college, so you won’t have him long. Ferrari didn’t come onto the seen until several months after he refused to sign. Maybe Tom wouldn’t have persued Anthony if he would have signed in the fall, but it was still a smart move to entice his #1 pfp brother to come our way.

So they caused damage prior to landing in Iowa, costing Iowa a high ranking recruit who potentially could've won a title?

Reactions: el dub
How do I figure that Iowa would attract top shelf coaching candidates? Is that a serious question?

Doug is a fantastic guy and in the perfect spot for him. The fans love him so much that they aren't super concerned his results are only pedestrian. He has the same issues with injuries and burnout that we see in Iowa City. You wouldn't find a better person to run a program but at the end of the day he hasn't done enough at UNI to warrant serious consideration in Iowa City or another big time job.
So could you name a few coaches that have done enough to warrant serious consideration? This seems like it'd be a short list. Bormet? Ryan? Mike Gray? Kohl? None of these are realistic. Did Coleman Scott do enough at UNC to get OKSt? Probably not by your metric.

So they caused damage prior to landing in Iowa, costing Iowa a high ranking recruit who potentially could've won a title?
Not sure about Chittum's potential to win a title, but he should be a consistent AA anyway (he's in a tough class with Haines & Shapiro still with multiple years left).

Guys without Iowa ties I’d like to see interviewed
Rob Koll
Damian Hahn
Pat Pop
Brian Smith
Chris Pendleton
David Taylor
Great list, dont disagree.. but its not like they are doing anything Brands aren't, which was my point. Its very similar to the argument against KF; you are going to have to take a risk on someone who hasn't accomplished what he has, and thats a valid argument.. but it hasn't worked out for teams like Nebraska very well. And Michigan spent some time in the desert before getting Harbaugh (who had obviously proved himself in both CFB and NCAA)
Pretty sure Tom Ryan won one at Ohio State in 2015 no?
sure did, he was in my count of 5 coaches who won, brain fart to include him again

I can see your point about a coaching change but have you seen what Iowa's current roster makeup for next year looks like? Ouch.

Yeah, not great. I just dont know what coach you are going to bring in that can change anything quicker or better than the brands do. With the portal the way is it (as others have said) things can change quick. Iowa added some pretty nice pieces this year, and in the past. If the roster isn't a top 3 roster in two years, then maybe you thinking about making change. This years roster would look different if it werent for the gambling, and maybe i shouldn't give some leeway for that ,but i do.

Reactions: Trapper85

if we are going with conjecture, then there is the just ss likely failing of Tom not getting the letter of intent signed.

Reactions: MVPFAN and kegan
Why? It's worked for 40+ years and keeps us in the top 5 year in and year out.

I guess most here aren't content with top 5.

c91fbddb203d1d037ea12e121959ea76b0059d8e.gif

I'd love to see DT here someday!

There's a LARGE list of recent PSU wrestlers I'd make.

I've said for years we don't need TWO Brands.

Also said having all Iowa coaches isn't doing us any favors.

I've taken so much heat and now people are finally seeing the light.

Keep one of the Brands. Bring in some outside blood.

All a pipe dream though. Nobody is getting rid of either.

The ONLY way to beat PSU right now is with MONEY.

I'm talking about this, "Any change shouldn’t be expected to be more than a Blip."

Bringing in a big name will move the needle (and we have the resources to do it) and you agree. So I'm not sure what you're trying to argue with me over.

I have no idea what we are talking about at this point. I just expressed why any coach at Iowa would have the tools to be successful that every program but 1 doesn't have. They would be set up for success. Dropping to OK level, like someone mentioned, is beyond unrealistic.

So could you name a few coaches that have done enough to warrant serious consideration? This seems like it'd be a short list. Bormet? Ryan? Mike Gray? Kohl? None of these are realistic. Did Coleman Scott do enough at UNC to get OKSt? Probably not by your metric.

Jiminy crickets you have low expectations. Iowa is an absolute blue blood with amazing facilities, a monster budget, incredible tradition, an established senior club, and deep NIL pockets. There's only one other program in the country that's set up with more resources to win.

The above post reminds me of "No way would Cael Sanderson leave ISU!" Obviously that doesn't mean every big name coach would be interested in leaving their school--especially as late in their careers as some of the guys you mention are--but you can bet there's a few that would listen. Think Grey isn't taking that call? Or Pat Pop? Or Coleman? Think again.

And nevermind you left out the part where I mentioned top assistants. Sorry, but Doug has had his chance to make a splash to set himself up for the Iowa job and just isn't doing it. Fantastic guy who's at around the level he should be.

Yeah I’m n
Great list, dont disagree.. but its not like they are doing anything Brands aren't, which was my point. Its very similar to the argument against KF; you are going to have to take a risk on someone who hasn't accomplished what he has, and thats a valid argument.. but it hasn't worked out for teams like Nebraska very well. And Michigan spent some time in the desert before getting Harbaugh (who had obviously proved himself in both CFB and NCAA)

sure did, he was in my count of 5 coaches who won, brain fart to include him again

Yeah, not great. I just dont know what coach you are going to bring in that can change anything quicker or better than the brands do. With the portal the way is it (as others have said) things can change quick. Iowa added some pretty nice pieces this year, and in the past. If the roster isn't a top 3 roster in two years, then maybe you thinking about making change. This years roster would look different if it werent for the gambling, and maybe i shouldn't give some leeway for that ,but i do.
Yeah m not suggesting a current regime change just think those coaches are intriguing outside the Hawkeye pipeline. And inside the Hawkeye pipeline I really only see Spencer, Kemmerer and Ramos and 2 of those are down the road possibilities

Reactions: just_somebody
Kemmerer would be great choice as a coach. But nobody talks about Jordan Burroughs. This would be his last Olympic cycle and he has such good name recognition that he would be able to draw some good recruits. Same as David Taylor. Maybe Kyle Snider as the leader of the ROTC. Give a good offer and see what happens. Or keep TnT. Without PSU this past 10 years, TnT would have the best results.

Kemmerer would be great choice as a coach. But nobody talks about Jordan Burroughs. This would be his last Olympic cycle and he has such good name recognition that he would be able to draw some good recruits. Same as David Taylor. Maybe Kyle Snider as the leader of the ROTC. Give a good offer and see what happens. Or keep TnT. Without PSU this past 10 years, TnT would have the best results.
yeah, nobody ever brings up burroughs...lol

But they would still have to relocate. Maybe Burroughs.

Exactly right

Reactions: el dub
If it was today and those dipshit kids interviewing didnt ask him his plans for this season….they are bigger idiots than they sound snd look
The interview was absolutely terrible. AJ opening the interview by giving context for his actions - that fans were making racist comments etc., toward him all day…

Seems this is a kid can’t get out of his own way and each time he opens his mouth he just makes things worse for himself.

I was in the corner of giving him a chance and trusting T/T … but the double finger salute … and then repeating over and over during the interview how he is such a godly man… nutshell - the kid is full of shit. And I don’t think there is any way this kid can last 3 years at one program … before f&@$ing something up …

I loved BM as a wrestler but who has he developed around his weight? Outside of Legacy Carr who was a slam dunk, what have his results been?
That entire program is significantly better. Their style had no identity a couple years ago. Dresser may be the head coach, but Brent has pushed those kids to get better. I love his passion to improve the kids and make that program better. I wasn’t pointing to one kid in particular.

That entire program is significantly better. Their style had no identity a couple years ago. Dresser may be the head coach, but Brent has pushed those kids to get better. I love his passion to improve the kids and make that program better. I wasn’t pointing to one kid in particular.
Post results of kids he’s worked with please, because I’m genuine curious. I cannot think of any that weren’t ready made in that weight range.

I have no idea what we are talking about at this point. I just expressed why any coach at Iowa would have the tools to be successful that every program but 1 doesn't have. They would be set up for success. Dropping to OK level, like someone mentioned, is beyond unrealistic.

Jiminy crickets you have low expectations. Iowa is an absolute blue blood with amazing facilities, a monster budget, incredible tradition, an established senior club, and deep NIL pockets. There's only one other program in the country that's set up with more resources to win.

The above post reminds me of "No way would Cael Sanderson leave ISU!" Obviously that doesn't mean every big name coach would be interested in leaving their school--especially as late in their careers as some of the guys you mention are--but you can bet there's a few that would listen. Think Grey isn't taking that call? Or Pat Pop? Or Coleman? Think again.

And nevermind you left out the part where I mentioned top assistants. Sorry, but Doug has had his chance to make a splash to set himself up for the Iowa job and just isn't doing it. Fantastic guy who's at around the level he should be.
Something needs to change. The lack of recruiting results to me, plus the lack of Champions over the last 5 to 10 years means is enough to warrant a change. I'm not saying fire Brands, but for the first time I have thought it, but new coaches, new recruiting strategy, new training techniques, should all be examined. I don't see enough willingness to change but more of double down to what we do, and that may not be working anymore. I have been going to Iowa wrestling for over 30 years and don't know if I have ever been less excited for a season this year or next. I typically go to Nationals as well but have no desire to go see a PSU 3 day commercial.

Here are my proposals for new blood:

Iowa should bring in Strittmatter as an assistant coach. Wrestlers like him, he's a successful club coach, and he can help improve recruiting.

Iowa should also hire Willie as the recruiting coordinator. Willie has good rapport with many of the top wrestlers in the country. Couple that with the Iowa brand and a new facility, it seems like the timing would be good.

Here are my proposals for new blood:

Iowa should bring in Strittmatter as an assistant coach. Wrestlers like him, he's a successful club coach, and he can help improve recruiting.

Iowa should also hire Willie as the recruiting coordinator. Willie has good rapport with many of the top wrestlers in the country. Couple that with the Iowa brand and a new facility, it seems like the timing would be good.
I favor the Dake Boat unless there are some negatives that I am not aware of.

Reactions: Bobhaywood

I assume that you mean as an assistant coach. Dake is a good egg. I'm not aware of any negatives.

He's an incredible athlete. I always looked at him as being someone who'd work well one-on-one with the middle weights.

Reactions: texas twister
Man there are alot of good prospects out there especially after this next Oly cycle. I’m not throwing this out there to create controversy I’m really not. But someone like Gilman who was loved by the Hawk fans and he loved Iowa at one point but then you add in the experience he’s got in the PSU room and that’s awfully valuable. He’s a medalist Has somewhat of a popular reputation. Again, I would just throw him in the mix. I’m not Sandy’s at the top of the list, but the fact that he’s got that Iowa mentality blended with now. The PSU philosophy would be a pretty strong combination. And maybe not as the head coach, but get him back in some capacity whether it’s HWC or as a head assistant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT