ADVERTISEMENT

No bueno

I feel like you skirted the question that I asked you. You said every female you know under 50 has been assaulted/raped, I said no one that I know has been and allowed that there may well be some that have that have never brought that forward. You then emphasized that angle only.

Don't you think it is odd that your experience is 100% and mine is a qualified 0%?

I don't think it's odd because not every victim is going to tell everyone their experiences.

I also earlier stated that I included groping, etc. Every woman I know under 50 has one of *those* stories.

When someone is saying I can’t breathe and they keep getting choked, the idea it was An accident is totally laughable.

I am not saying that the death was justified or not, that is a separate discussion. It was accidental in that the police were not trying to kill, only subdue, him...as he actively resisted their lawful efforts.

It wasn't as if the police just whacked some guy for selling illegal cigs, as you implied initially.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I feel like you skirted the question that I asked you. You said every female you know under 50 has been assaulted/raped, I said no one that I know has been and allowed that there may well be some that have that have never brought that forward. You then emphasized that angle only.

Don't you think it is odd that your experience is 100% and mine is a qualified 0%?

I think that you have to be using a very flawed, narrow definition of assault and rape.

What would you attribute that high of percentage to? It is quite possible that there are some stories that have not been told to me as a male, but I can't think of one lady that I know well that has been raped/assaulted, and that would cover a couple/few hundred people.
This is a really bad take.

Many of the women who have been assaulted are feeling confusion and shame and don't want the whole world to know what happened to them. They don't go to the police, let alone have a conversation with some casual acquaintance. Two of my long-term relationships were with women who told me about their experiences. One took almost a year, before she told me, the other more than two years. And, even then, it took a lot of reassurance from me that whatever they had to tell me would be okay.

What would you attribute that high of percentage to? It is quite possible that there are some stories that have not been told to me as a male, but I can't think of one lady that I know well that has been raped/assaulted, and that would cover a couple/few hundred people.
Ya I can’t believe a couple hundred women wouldn’t bare their souls to you and discuss such a horrible event.

Ask them if they have had their ass grabbed, or someone tried to feel them up or some comment that was totally out of line that was made to them or about them?

Cmon don’t be so dense about this. The stuff that was acceptable in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s that women had to put up with because boys will be boys doesn’t make it any less vile.

The only thing that is odd is the guys who want to challenge Wendy on her experience. Whether you like the precise statistic or not, have some tact and general sensitivity for the subject. To challenge her on a number is petty and misses the big picture.

Many of the women who have been assaulted are feeling confusion and shame and don't want the whole world to know what happened to them. They don't go to the police, let alone have a conversation with some casual acquaintance. Two of my long-term relationships were with women who told me about their experiences. One took almost a year, before she told me, the other more than two years. And, even then, it took a lot of reassurance from me that whatever they had to tell me would be okay.

I've had a very similar experience as you.

Reactions: vhsalum
The only thing that is odd is the guys who want to challenge Wendy on her experience. Whether you like the precise statistic or not, have some tact and general sensitivity for the subject. To challenge her on a number is petty and misses the big picture.

I have experience too and I am in a position to know about happenings to a large number of people, over many, many years and I do find it odd that there is such a huge disparity in our experiences. I simply asked her a question, I did not challenge her experience. For all I know, she is a victim advocate or rape counselor or something along those lines, which could explain it.

This is a public message board, if she, or anyone else, doesn't want to be asked any questions about what they post then they are in the wrong place IMO.

Ya I can’t believe a couple hundred women wouldn’t bare their souls to you and discuss such a horrible event.

Ask them if they have had their ass grabbed, or someone tried to feel them up or some comment that was totally out of line that was made to them or about them?

Cmon don’t be so dense about this. The stuff that was acceptable in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s that women had to put up with because boys will be boys doesn’t make it any less vile.

I acknowledge that it is quite possible that someone I know has experienced an assault/rape that I don't know about. I also can't believe that if anywhere near 100% of them had that this would not have come to my attention in some form. You are distorting my comments.

I also think you are changing the context of the subject...if "ass grabbing" or off color comments, etc, are included in your stats then that could explain a lot. I thought the context here was actual rape/assault. I have also said nothing that condones or excuses any unwanted acts, whether they be from nowadays or the '60's, etc. You have added that.

I have been in various positions of authority with literally several hundred, probably thousands, of men and women in my charge in one form or another. I have had many, many "life" situations brought to my attention over that time, and I have said that it is quite possible that some of those ladies have had things happen to them that I do not know about.

But it is also quite improbable to me that I have never heard this if it as common as it is being reported. As such, I am curious about that. I know of many abusive situations, and have intervened on behalf of the aggrieved multiple times in various ways, but no rapes, thankfully. Most of the people receiving that abuse have been very apprehensive to share that with others too...for good reason.

I acknowledge that it is quite possible that someone I know has experienced an assault/rape that I don't know about. I also can't believe that if anywhere near 100% of them had that this would not have come to my attention in some form. You are distorting my comments.

I also think you are changing the context of the subject...if "ass grabbing" or off color comments, etc, are included in your stats then that could explain a lot. I thought the context here was actual rape/assault. I have also said nothing that condones or excuses any unwanted acts, whether they be from nowadays or the '60's, etc. You have added that.

Well ass grabbing is sexual assault. So like I said, you are using a very flawed, narrow definition. Glad we could get to the bottom of this.

I hope this explains a lot for you:

"The National Center for Victims of Crime states:[5]

Sexual assault takes many forms including attacks such as rape or attempted rape, as well as any unwanted sexual contact or threats. Usually a sexual assault occurs when someone touches any part of another person's body in a sexual way, even through clothes, without that person's consent.

In the United States, the definition of sexual assault varies widely among the individual states. However, in most states sexual assault occurs when there is lack of consent from one of the individuals involved. Consent must take place between two adults who are not incapacitated and can change during any time during the sexual act."

Definitely this. Victims don't always tell others for various reasons, nor should they have to, nor should they have to tell everyone they know. Most of my friends are okay with going into some detail (or saying "___happened), but some have never told any sort of specifics, and that's okay. They don't need to re-live their trauma to feed my curiosity-masked-as-concern or to prove a point on a message board.

If I'm out with my closest guy friend, who I love as a wacky older brother, and I get groped or something (something relatively minor)...would I tell him? I don't know, because then shyte would start flying, and it's not worth him getting arrested. Would I tell him after the fact? I don't know, because then it'd be "well why didn't you tell me? I don't care if I get arrested for that."
men are pigs. especially when buzzed or worse. people have been saying "men are pigs" for decades; we have all heard the expression. not all are pigs, of course, but....

bottom line, when men behave like pigs, they need to face the consequences.(knocked on their ass; arrested; etc).

men are pigs. especially when buzzed or worse. people have been saying "men are pigs" for decades; we have all heard the expression. not all are pigs, of course, but....

bottom line, when men behave like pigs, they need to face the consequences.(knocked on their ass; arrested; etc).

Getting violent or reacting in any way other than nervous laughter may result in not good things happening to the woman.

Edit: people just need to be taught to keep their hands to themselves and what enthusiastic consent/bodily autonomy are. And to stop making excuses for "boys being boys" and "oh, he's just like that."

I have been in various positions of authority with literally several hundred, probably thousands, of men and women in my charge in one form or another. I have had many, many "life" situations brought to my attention over that time, and I have said that it is quite possible that some of those ladies have had things happen to them that I do not know about.

But it is also quite improbable to me that I have never heard this if it as common as it is being reported. As such, I am curious about that. I know of many abusive situations, and have intervened on behalf of the aggrieved multiple times in various ways, but no rapes, thankfully. Most of the people receiving that abuse have been very apprehensive to share that with others too...for good reason.

First, the context of Wendy’s comment clearly included groping and other unwanted physical attention - and she later specifically explained that.

Next, according to the CDC nearly 20% of women have been raped or had an attempted rape. If you add in groping and other physical intrusions two things become clear. One, it’s likely that close to 100% “have a story to tell”, and two, the women you know so well aren’t talking to you as openly as you think.

Getting violent or reacting in any way other than nervous laughter may result in not good things happening to the woman.

Edit: people just need to be taught to keep their hands to themselves and what enthusiastic consent/bodily autonomy are. And to stop making excuses for "boys being boys" and "oh, he's just like that."
yeah, i hear ya; reacting violently could end up with you getting arrested

it seems that a lot of groping occurs at bars when people are under the influence where they believe, for some unknown reason, that anything goes.

First, the context of Wendy’s comment clearly included groping and other unwanted physical attention - and she later specifically explained that.

Next, according to the CDC nearly 20% of women have been raped or had an attempted rape. If you add in groping and other physical intrusions two things become clear. One, it’s likely that close to 100% “have a story to tell”, and two, the women you know so well aren’t talking to you as openly as you think.
giphy.gif

it seems that a lot of groping occurs at bars when people are under the influence where they believe, for some unknown reason, that anything goes.
If someone grabs my wife at a bar or any other place for that matter they are getting punched in the face. No talking about it. I've had to do this twice. The first was a stranger and he got punched in the face, the 2nd was someone i knew but don't care for(we run in the same circle) and he got open hand smacked(hard).

Does this go for women as well? Because I have had my ass grabbed by passing women at the bar too many times to remember. I would never consider that to be assault.

I think the most important thing is to remember whats best for Gable right now to help him get through this and become a better person.....and that's too immediately get him back in a singlet and wrestling in live competition

And if anyone has a problem with that...then you dont know all the facts the coach does.

I've learned how this card is to be played from PSU fan.

What is the Fresno City college transfer about?

From reports:

Dylan Martinez (149 pounder), the other guy arrested, had just joined the Gopher wrestling program for the 2019 Spring semester and the remainder of his two years of eligibility. Martinez will redshirt the rest of the 2018-19 season. Martinez wrestled at Fresno City College out of high school and was a two-time state champion in the California Community College (CACC).

Or get stalked/attacked/murdered.

Does this go for women as well? Because I have had my ass grabbed by passing women at the bar too many times to remember. I would never consider that to be assault.

Yes, of course. It's never okay to touch someone who doesn't want to be touched. It is assault (or would it be battery?). Regardless, it doesn't matter who's doing it...it's wrong.

Reactions: GlenHawk
Or get stalked/attacked/murdered.

Yes, of course. It's never okay to touch someone who doesn't want to be touched. It is assault (or would it be battery?). Regardless, it doesn't matter who's doing it...it's wrong.
I have been watching www.StarTribune.com (the Minneapolis newspaper) and as of now, no charges have been filed.

It's top of the front page news, as everyone can see.

The latest update (14 min ago):

U wrestling star Steveson jailed on suspicion of criminal sexual conduct

14 MINUTES AGO

Gable Steveson of Apple Valley, one of the nation's top heavyweight wrestlers, was arrested Saturday along with a second Gophers wrestler, Dylan Martinez. No charges have been filed yet.

Found this comment on the Gopher board..

"As someone that works in the CJ system and knows a little more about this stuff than the average rube on here... although the 1st-5th CSC counts cover a wide range of things, the vast majority of the counts charged are felonies. Some 5th degree CSC cases are GM's but none are "minor misdemeanors"--which I would classify as either a "petty misdemeanor" or "misdemeanor"....

3rd degree CSC---probable cause (which is what Gable is held on), is definitely more serious than the GM 5th deg. CSC. They can hold him up till noon on Tues. to charge him, although the County Attorney COULD ask for an extension, but those are usually asked for in the case of murder charges, not as often CSC cases."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT