ADVERTISEMENT

No doubt Kent State is the best team we've played so far

I hate these kinds of teams with 30-year-old coaches who live and die by the RPO with tempo and basically coach like they're playing EA Sports NCAA Football on PS4.

Great to see our steady play and consistency ground them down in the end. Our O still needs a lot of work. Kent is a good team, I just hate their style of ball.

The game may turn out different after the first quarter or worse but right now these guys are much tougher than either team we've played so far.
Realize that this is week 3 for every team.......

Also, our rushing stats alone say that both Indiana and Iowa State had better defenses, at the very least.

I fully expected our defense to concede some yards in this game, but to their credit we kept them out of the endzone after that first score. Bend don't break was in full effect today, and we didn't really even need a ton of turnovers to shut them down.

If Kent State doesn't win the MAC, they will be right up there. Something for Iowa State fans and players to aspire to. It's a pretty tough conference.
They might. Too early to tell. Don't get the love they are getting here. They played hard, they should when playing a power conference team.

Kent State was flying around with some great athletes on the field. That is a team to keep an eye on and I hope they win the MAC. They certainly close fast and hit hard on defense.
Kent State has a handful of P5 transfers. I’m pretty sure most G5 schools do too (and honestly, the same probably goes for every other level of organized collegiate football - especially true for JUCOs) but some shine better under the right coaching. Kent State is a fun team to watch and they’ll do things in the MAC. Probably a team about as good as a lower level B1G team. May be able to beat an Illinois or Nebraska.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
I hate these kinds of teams with 30-year-old coaches who live and die by the RPO with tempo and basically coach like they're playing EA Sports NCAA Football on PS4.

Great to see our steady play and consistency ground them down in the end. Our O still needs a lot of work. Kent is a good team, I just hate their style of ball.

I think a lot of coaches have figured out that going tempo really hoses your defense if you're going against an opponent with a good defense. If a team like Iowa has a 15 play 60 yard drive and you turn around going 3 and out, but only take 45 seconds off the clock putting your defense right back out on the field, that's not a winning formula.

That's why I think a lot of teams will go tempo situationally if they catch a defense with a personnel package that they can exploit and not allowing them to sub. But not many teams will do that exclusively as that will put your gassed defense out on the field just as often as you wear down an opposing defense negating your advantage.

I hate to ruin a good rant but Iowa St. is the best team we have played. Indiana blew it against Cincy. Kent St. doesn't have a defense to either of those team's caliber.

Reactions: unclesammy
Sean Lewis is the youngest head coach in FBS, and he has turned Kent St from total garbage to a pretty darn competitive team in his 3+ seasons. He may be the next great coach to come out of the MAC. I don't think I'd want to see him at Wisky...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT