ADVERTISEMENT

"No visits once you commit" & "We're 100% committed to you" policies haven't always been enforced

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Example of the "no visits once you commit" policy not being enforced:

(1) Any idea how Drew Ott got away with visiting Nebby after committing to Iowa?

Example of the "once you commit, we are 100% committed to you" policy not being enforced:

(2) Remember the QB, Jack. Beneventi, who had his scholarship pulled really late in the game, where he ended up at Western Illinois?

Just seems like there is not consistent enforcement of the "once you commit, no visits to other schools" and "once you commit, we are 100% committed to you" policies.

Any other examples you can think of?

Is the Iowa staff a bunch of hypocrites as a result?

I just think it's dumb that 50 year old men treat 17 year old kids this way.. you have to think like them. The popularity is all new to them and this process IS once in a lifetime. Teach them about character, respect, etc when they get to Iowa but jeeez it just seems so babyish and extreme to pull the offers..

And before you scream higdon higdon higdon don't pretend like him and Eno are the same. Higdon already decommited from one program and didn't recruit for Iowa like Eno did

Bo Corrales now on twitter liking people's comments about how dumb Iowas coaches rule is.. at least he was honest about how mad he was with either Blair or HawkeyeNation.. don't remember which one

Well it's well known that as long as you are up front to visits like Noah Fant last year, you are ok. It's when you lie that you get dropped. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Iowa has the 85th ranked offense in the nation........Their best recruiting ranking in the last 5 years is 42nd......Not sure why this is so hard to understand.........

Reactions: hawkeye_power
Why do you think a player might be in a position where they feel like they have to lie about this? Just curious. I can think of several reasons

I honestly think that the pressure is high on these recruits.......I also honestly think that Eno had every intention of being a Hawkeye and didn't want to mess that up.......Pretty ridiculous that it couldn't be worked out in my opinion.......

I honestly think that the pressure is high on these recruits.......I also honestly think that Eno had every intention of being a Hawkeye and didn't want to mess that up.......Pretty ridiculous that it couldn't be worked out in my opinion.......
So your idea of not wanting to mess up being a Hawkeye would be not letting the staff know about a visit to Mizzo. Being dishonest about it, then taking a second visit to ASU. It's about trust, if you can't understand that I feel sorry for you friend.

So your idea of not wanting to mess up being a Hawkeye would be not letting the staff know about a visit to Mizzo. Being dishonest about it, then taking a second visit to ASU. It's about trust, if you can't understand that I feel sorry for you friend.

There's a difference between being "allowed" to do another visit, and the coaches being "cool" with you doing another visit. Eno probably felt like the coaches would be pissed if he told them, so I don't blame him for not telling them

So, when Kirk was talking to some NFL teams about their coaching vacancies, should Barta have fired him? Double standard? Hypocrisy?

Depends. Did Barta tell him he couldn't talk to anyone? Did Kirk do it anyway and then lie to Barta about it? What was negotiated in Kirks contract about these sort of things? How much would it have cost Barta to fire Kirk for doing this? Do we know for a fact that Kirk actually talked to NFL teams and if he did, what did he talk to them about? Did he do all of this with Barta's blessing?

The coaches have never said that there is a blanket policy where you absolutely cannot visit other schools once you commit to us. There have been several kids during Kirks tenure do this and their scholarship was not pulled. They don't want you to commit until you are sure. Once you commit, they don't want you visiting other schools. If you decide to visit other schools, they want to know about it and have the opportunity to discuss it with you. If you decide to visit other schools they may decide to still hold your offer but also start to look at other kids. Or they may decide that it is best to rescind the offer. If you don't tell the coaches about multiple other visits or aren't honest in your communication with the coaching staff, then don't be shocked if they decide to move on.

There was a time when this was how you handled kids. But as you see with our schemes KF isn't very good at changing with the times.

Now our brilliant AD has given Kirk the contract to ensure that he doesn't have to adjust ever again.

Depends. Did Barta tell him he couldn't talk to anyone? Did Kirk do it anyway and then lie to Barta about it? What was negotiated in Kirks contract about these sort of things? How much would it have cost Barta to fire Kirk for doing this? Do we know for a fact that Kirk actually talked to NFL teams and if he did, what did he talk to them about? Did he do all of this with Barta's blessing?

The coaches have never said that there is a blanket policy where you absolutely cannot visit other schools once you commit to us. There have been several kids during Kirks tenure do this and their scholarship was not pulled. They don't want you to commit until you are sure. Once you commit, they don't want you visiting other schools. If you decide to visit other schools, they want to know about it and have the opportunity to discuss it with you. If you decide to visit other schools they may decide to still hold your offer but also start to look at other kids. Or they may decide that it is best to rescind the offer. If you don't tell the coaches about multiple other visits or aren't honest in your communication with the coaching staff, then don't be shocked if they decide to move on.
I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Don't lie and there won't be consequences. Seems pretty simple.

There's a difference between being "allowed" to do another visit, and the coaches being "cool" with you doing another visit. Eno probably felt like the coaches would be pissed if he told them, so I don't blame him for not telling them

To me, asking permission is one of those "it depends" situations. If Eno said he wanted to take his visits, see some places he has never been to, and enjoy himself for a weekend, BUT he's a Hawkeye no matter what, I have zero problem with that. If, on the other hand, he calls the coaches to say "yeah, well, I'm going to visit ASU next since they want me to come", that's a bit of a different message.

I don't think the staff likes either scenario, but one is a lot more innocent than the other and easier to excuse... And honestly, Eno took the dumbest route he could - went to visit both schools without asking for permission and then tried to cover it up!

So, evidently you were perfect when you were younger? You made NO mistakes as an 18 year old? Congratulations, more of us clearly need to be more like you!! It just appears from what is being reported from the outside that something could have been worked out........To think that all recruits are going to be perfect is not realistic..........

Reactions: David1979
Honest question; if we weren't going to battle against schools like Michigan for Eno... why did we recruit him in the first place if we are going to give up when he takes a couple visits while continuing to recruit on twitter, maintain that he is a Hawk, etc.

That really seems silly to me that you would waste the time recruiting kids in the first place if you are willing to give up at signs of adversity. Obviously I'm not privy to the specifics of what has gone on, but publicly, it seems as though Eno was (and still is) expecting to be a Hawk next year. If you're not going to compete for the recruit then don't. But to give up isn't teaching kids about how to face challenges.

Honest question; if we weren't going to battle against schools like Michigan for Eno... why did we recruit him in the first place if we are going to give up when he takes a couple visits while continuing to recruit on twitter, maintain that he is a Hawk, etc.

That really seems silly to me that you would waste the time recruiting kids in the first place if you are willing to give up at signs of adversity. Obviously I'm not privy to the specifics of what has gone on, but publicly, it seems as though Eno was (and still is) expecting to be a Hawk next year. If you're not going to compete for the recruit then don't. But to give up isn't teaching kids about how to face challenges.
Totally agree.

So if Iowa goes after a committed prospect at RB now that is ok?

Honestly, it's one of the dirtiest businesses in this country......almost to the point of being ugly. There is certainly no honor among thieves in the recruiting business. Brett Bielema will sit in a kids living room bad mouthing Iowa with his Hawkeye tatoo on his freaking leg and knows full well that Iowa gave him his start in coaching. That's just the way it is......How many players has KF gotten to flip over the years? Should we start listing them? So, I agree with you on this........

The kid lied. This isn't hard folks.

Coaches are busy as it is. the last thing needed is a kid lying about taking visits.

You don't know that. Coaches aren't allowed to talk about it and I'm pretty sure Eno didn't say it. A quick search shows his visits were 9/16 to Missouri and 10/7 to ASU so no big secret. What's the excuse on Calloway, did he lie to? Anyway, coaches should be busy and recruiting is part of that.

So, evidently you were perfect when you were younger? You made NO mistakes as an 18 year old? Congratulations, more of us clearly need to be more like you!! It just appears from what is being reported from the outside that something could have been worked out........To think that all recruits are going to be perfect is not realistic..........

You don't have to be perfect to understand that lying is wrong and honoring your commitments is right. The kid knew what he was doing. Claiming naïveté because he's young doesn't fit here.

Because it would be hypocritical of Iowa to do so when they dont want their commits visiting other school

Example of the "no visits once you commit" policy not being enforced:

(1) Any idea how Drew Ott got away with visiting Nebby after committing to Iowa?

Example of the "once you commit, we are 100% committed to you" policy not being enforced:

(2) Remember the QB, Jack. Beneventi, who had his scholarship pulled really late in the game, where he ended up at Western Illinois?

Just seems like there is not consistent enforcement of the "once you commit, no visits to other schools" and "once you commit, we are 100% committed to you" policies.

Any other examples you can think of?

Is the Iowa staff a bunch of hypocrites as a result?
It sounds like Eno lied, not once, but twice to the Iowa coaches. Different than what you are talking about. Beneventi was benched by his highschool team for Christ sakes. If we would have continued recruiting him, you would have been on here bitching about that. Furthermore, our coaches are some of the few that actually stay loyal to recruits with schollies, even in times where they have medical issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT