ADVERTISEMENT

No way ‘developmental program’ Kirk goes hard at the portal…

I would imagine they try and fill any vacancies from transfer outs. I doubt he will go after big names. I’d imagine they go for guys who surprise at lower levels and are hungry for a shot. But with Petra’s gone and Padilla in portal I bet they do go after a day one starter at QB.
I’m guessing 4 transfer portals guys before spring semester. If we lose more than that to the portal he might go after more or give walk-ons the scholly

Reactions: sober_teacher
giphy.gif

I think he will give it some lip service, but he is loyal to a fault and won’t disenfranchise those that committed to the Hawks. IMO
Game has changed too much for Kirk. Offense dominates, hoping the opposing offense is bad and will make mistakes is only beating bad teams, which is all we can beat now. Hope Barta keeps his in with the Big 10 schedule maker. He takes care of us, otherwise it's 4-8 or worse.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I think he will give it some lip service, but he is loyal to a fault and won’t disenfranchise those that committed to the Hawks. IMO
Seems the right move. Despite what this board incorrectly believes the transfer portal is far from a panacea. Here’s a graph of transfers received (x-axis) vs wins (y-axis) for all Big Ten teams in 2022. Pretty clear correlation, just not the one this board believes to exist.

Seems the right move. Despite what this board incorrectly believes the transfer portal is far from a panacea. Here’s a graph of transfers received (x-axis) vs wins (y-axis) for all Big Ten teams in 2022. Pretty clear correlation, just not the one this board believes to exist.

Usually the bad programs are dependent on transfers (See Nebraska). Good teams are selective and use them to fill a gap or two.

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me the portal should be used to fill a few immediate gaps in your program. Wholesale use of the portal is probably not a good idea and an indication that you have bigger problems.

As far as the graph, it really does not mean much to me because the programs/teams adding 5+ transfers are likely in trouble anyway.

Reactions: sober_teacher
And for the record, I don’t consider Iowa Western or community colleges or the like to be “real” transfers. I don’t really consider Mids (MAC, FCS) to be real transfers either. P5 to P5 are real transfers.

All that graph proves is what we already know - the elite teams in the conference don't need to rely on talent from the portal very much, and a few B1G teams are in desperate rebuild mode right now and are using the portal to make it as fast as possible.

If you don't think Iowa is in rather dire need of filling in big holes with the portal this offseason, I don't know what to tell you, other than you are one of KF's favorite fans.

Usually the bad programs are dependent on transfers (See Nebraska). Good teams are selective and use them to fill a gap or two.
Usually good teams have offenses and after 2 years of bullshit on O all options need to be on the table. Funny how Nebraska is always brought up for teams using transfers but tcu had 10 and that has worked out OK for them. We all know KF will never be dependent on them but I'd say given the needs Iowa has 4-6 in the right spots would be helpful

Game has changed too much for Kirk. Offense dominates, hoping the opposing offense is bad and will make mistakes is only beating bad teams, which is all we can beat now. Hope Barta keeps his in with the Big 10 schedule maker. He takes care of us, otherwise it's 4-8 or worse.
Right. The only reason Iowa is in a bowl this year is the weak crossover B1G schedule. 🤦‍♂

The transfer market has changed. Instead of being a place where disgruntled players go, its now an avenue for talented players to move to places and situations that are best for them. It offers opportunities for players that overperform at a lower level to move to a bigger program, or for players like McNamera or Palmer which clearly have starting talent but don’t get playing time to move to an organization that needs that.

Sometimes players aren’t performing and have to move down too, just like before. Others are taking advantage to create bidding wars for their services, or with Charlie Jones, find a place that better takes advantage of their talents. Ultimately, the transfer portal has completely changed talent acquisition forever and only a moron would look at it as some sort of last resort.

All that graph proves is what we already know - the elite teams in the conference don't need to rely on talent from the portal very much, and a few B1G teams are in desperate rebuild mode right now and are using the portal to make it as fast as possible.

If you don't think Iowa is in rather dire need of filling in big holes with the portal this offseason, I don't know what to tell you, other than you are one of KF's favorite fans.
OP is taking a shot at the “developmental program” nature of Iowa and KF, which is ridiculous considering the sustained success it has yielded. If you don’t think the “developmental program” has been successful, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m simply pointing out the obvious, yet almost exclusively overlooked, reality of the portal. It is not a panacea.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Filling a gap is fine.

OP implied KF needs “to go hard” at the portal and took a shot at the developmental nature of the Iowa program. Seems like they are looking for much more than gap filling.

Filling a gap is fine.

OP implied KF needs “to go hard” at the portal and took a shot at the developmental nature of the Iowa program. Seems like they are looking for much more than gap filling.
Right. And that won’t happen. One, KF doesn’t know what the portal is. Two, they don’t need to.

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me the portal should be used to fill a few immediate gaps in your program. Wholesale use of the portal is probably not a good idea and an indication that you have bigger problems.

As far as the graph, it really does not mean much to me because the programs/teams adding 5+ transfers are likely in trouble anyway.
The graph isn’t meant for you. We’ve got people in this thread suggesting Iowa should take 10+ transfers annually. I don’t know if there is a faster route to a broken program than that.

Reactions: AlvySinger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT