ADVERTISEMENT

NW Grades

UndercoverHawk

HR All-American
Dec 16, 2015
125- Pass
133- A weird match. DeSanchise dominated.
141- B would like to see more. Needs to finish
149- C Lugo has looked really good of late. Not so today.
157- B Glosser was game just overmatched a little.
165- A ref tried to take the major from him. Kid shoulda been stalled out.
174- A+ idc if Bowman is hurt Shaw will make him earn the spot. Shaw looks fantastic. Worried he gives up his legs but has scrambled out and come out on top so far through 2 matches.
184- A The only way Cash will ever get an A+ from me is to beat Martin.
197- B- way too dicey. Should control these kind of matches.
285- A+ Stoll killed him. That was a pin.

Ref had no idea what stalling was until heavyweight.

125- Pass
174- A+ idc if Bowman is hurt Shaw will make him earn the spot. Shaw looks fantastic. Worried he gives up his legs but has scrambled out and come out on top so far through 2 matches.

Reactions: otiee007
125- Pass

I like bowman and I thing 74 from NW is dinged up but Shaw looks like best option at 74. Bowman doesn’t seem to have gas tank with the cut. Full court press on adding some muscle to Shaw before March

125- Pass

97 - yeah would like to see warner get a couple more takedowns. He’s making ground from midlands though. Getting battle hardened.
285 - Jennings has nightmares about Stoll - you can see it in his eyes.
184 - great for cash - he takes so much heat on here(from myself included), he deaserves a little credit
157 - would have like to see glosser wrestle like he had nothing to lose.... tough kid though

A for Marinelli, Shaw, Wilcke, and Stoll.

Low Pass for everyone else.

Edit: oops, B+ for Glosser, A for DeSanto.

Last edited:
Perez: B, made Rivera earn that major. Perez worked his tail off and almost keep a dec.
DeSanto: B+, kinda a weird match but dominated.
Murin: Solid B, controlled the match from start to end. Very workman dec. Actually a good weekend for Murin.
Lugo: D, just when I think maybe he can AA he shows me he won't with a match like this.
Glosser: B-, was a little disappointed but he was wrestling #3.
Bull: A, Bull is so fun right now. I am believing more and more that he is winning it all.
Shaw: A, love the fight in this kid. Gives everything he got. Up 2 weights and definitely giving the staff reason to believe he will be the guy in March
Wilcke: B+, just cant bring myself to give him an A to many wth matches.
Warner: B, getting better each time out. Still has some ironing out to do.
Stoll: A, feeling better about Sam. Needed to see him wrestle this match to see how he is against a rd of 12 type guy.

Team gets an A. If Lee and Young wrestle, this could have been a shutout. Backups were game on this road trip. The referee was obviously calling it for the home team but at least he got out of the way in the closer matches. Looked like NW had pretty good attendance today. Murin is really starting to worry me, he just is not shooting much and having a hard time finishing when he does. What was up with that Moreland guy, did he really know who he was messing with after the whistle? Cash needs to teach that arm bar tilt to Warner. Big Sam was wrestler of the meet to me, he is getting that mojo back.

Reactions: Grip220
Guys, mute the stream and listen to ironside and Grace on 800 KXIC and then sync it up with the stream. If you're out of signal, Get iHeart app and plug KXIC into the search. They start 15 mins ahead of go time.

Tom brands would’ve wrestled 125 himself if he could and 157 if he wasn’t too tired after beating Rivera. He’d send terry in his place if he was. I, for one, don’t question the coach’s toughness. Brands is old school tough nosed. Period.
Good for you. Iowa sat starters against NW two best wrestlers today. Coaches decision. That shows a lot of toughness.

Reactions: CesspoolHawk
Good for you. Iowa sat starters against NW two best wrestlers today. Coaches decision. That shows a lot of toughness.
Doing what he perceives is best for the wrestlers, knowing he’s going to get roasted over it and catch a lot of flak. Sounds tough to me.

Reactions: wasdt21
Brands’ job is to prepare his athletes to be their absolute best—and to win NCAA titles. That means making the tough decision even if it isn’t the popular decision. He knows something everyone else (including Flo) doesn’t. They have stayed quiet about lots of injuries/illnesses through the years (e.g. Clark, McDonough, and Kemerer to name a few). Eventually it comes out and makes sense. It definitely sucks we didn’t get to see the rematch, but let the dust settle a bit...

Ref - F.
NW Broadcasters - D
I even think a "D" is generous. The clueless NW play-by-play guys misidentified two Hawkeyes, and they didn't identify Glosser until the 3rd period, all while stating that this was a "marquee match"!

As well, the main guy kept asking the color commentator what the strengths and strategies were of the NW wrestlers near the beginning of each match. Most of the time, the answer seemed to be, "Wrestle strong from the basics." Yeah. And breathe some oxygen when you get a chance. Jeesh!

I like bowman and I thing 74 from NW is dinged up but Shaw looks like best option at 74. Bowman doesn’t seem to have gas tank with the cut. Full court press on adding some muscle to Shaw before March
Fully agree. I've liked Shaw in both matches. He seems to know how to answer a leg attack...meaning, he can reach around for the guy's ankles like most 25-pounders do! But he also has an ability to launch more attacks than we've seen from Bowman. Thirdly, he appears to have a bit of a gas tank of his own. My "vote" (symbolically speaking) is for the Shawmeister.

I was out of pocket all day and came back and scanned over the NW grades. Disappointed to see that Lee did not wrestle. I was hoping to see the NW report card from a Titanium POV. Maybe that will come later tonight. I will be looking later.

It was interesting that Northwestern only allowed fans to sit on three sides of feildhouse. Don’t know if it was easier for crowd control or to make it look it fuller to camera. I had a great time and there were lots of Hawk fans! Would have liked to see Lee kick his butt! Go Hawk!

125- Pass

Agree. Lugo was tight, Warner needs to let it fly.

Brands gets an F?!? Pretty harsh, not knowing exactly how Lee is doing, plus Iowa won 8 of 10 matches.
Yep, Brands gets an F. Lee was healthy enough to wrestle 2 days ago. Fans deserve to see exciting wrestling with the best 2 squaring off in a rematch. Not having it was a major debbie downer. Now, if is determined that there was something, I will except the criticism. Many fans had this match up circled since Midlands. It was a small highlight on a dismal schedule this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT