ADVERTISEMENT

Obi-Wan Kenobi

It seems like poor casting then. (It seems that way, but it's not.) I understand that only so much can be expected of an 8 or 9 year old. The show takes place 10 years after episode 3. They could have easily gotten away with casting a young looking 11 or 12 year old. Hell, they regularly cast actors in their mid to upper 20s to play high schoolers in Hollywood. At that age, a couple of years would make a big difference in acting abilities. (Demand the best and if it doesn't meet your expectations, change your name to Karen and pound the table.....the American Way! :D)

I understand EvilMonkey is going to give me a laughing emoji (You understood wrong....) and rip on this. ("Educate you" is a nicer way to put it.....:cool:) He seems especially defensive of his opinions in this thread. (Well, when someone in this thread challenges my opinions for the first time, then perhaps I will defend my opinions........but until then......) But it’s just, like, my opinion man. I think the show is very good (Is it though?), but I think the dialogue and acting for Leia is the weakest link. (The worst part about this show so far is the child actor playing Leia?........Lol perhaps you'll be one of the few that won't have a problem with what's about to happen in this show then.............#no spoilers :)) No big deal. Again, just an opinion.
Yeah well, like, your opinion is wrong, man............ :)

P.S. Always be careful what you wish for. :D

I've only finished the 2nd episode. Thoughts so far:

1. The pacing is a bit slow. (That's mostly a subjective, but fair, criticism for any show. Some people don't mind sitting through a 3 hour movie......others that don't have the attention span to last even an hour and a half will whine and groan after the fact, and are usually the ones who had "no idea the movie would be that long".............)
2. No character development for the inquisitors. Perhaps show them stringing up the captured jedi or their interaction hunting him down. What's 3rd sister's motivation. (They've been rather disappointing all around, but that's what we get for raised expectations thanks to the trailers. Also, I could give Reva's motivations, but I don't want to get into spoiler territory)
3. Contradictory that Obi-wan argues with Owen about training Luke but then he doesn't want to use his force powers until he absolutely must. (Inconsistent writing between the episodes is apparent, and a big issue. It's a theme now with Star Wars properties.....)
4. Finally once he uses the force, why doesn't he go crazy with it. He's caught by the baddest forces in the galaxy besides Vader. (Wanting to train Luke and using the Force after years of reclusion and building remorse and self-doubt are two different things. Not to mention that the more he uses the Force, the more attention he brings to himself, and he can't protect Luke if he's being chased by the Empire. The big underlying issue right now is how can Obi Wan get the Empire off his back so that he can resume watching over Luke without living in constant fear that the Empire and Vader are onto him/close to finding him or Luke.)

That was probably the worst episode yet. Crappy writing, crappy acting.

“Impenetrable base” Yet, Obi-Wan was able to swim right up to it, and the two ships were able to fly right up to it.

The inquisitors seem to be pretty bad at their job if they can’t intimidate a 10 year old.

Was that the biggest tracking device in the history of the universe?

Obi-wan magically becomes a Jedi again, within about a days time.

Two people, one trench coat was ridiculous and absurd.

A whole bay of Tie fighters, nah we won’t launch any of those after the fleeing ships.

Talia’s open hand strike to the helmet of a stormtrooper was able to knock him down.

Reva is so good that Vader showed sympathy for her incompetence, because that’s what his character is known for.

Last edited:
They should rename the series “The Third Sister and Little Leia Show”. The emphasis of this miniseries was supposed to have been about Kenobi and Vader, but they’re basically relegated to second billing in their own show.

“Impenetrable base” Yet, Obi-Wan was able to swim right up to it, and the two ships were able to fly right up to it.

The inquisitors seem to be pretty bad at their job if they can’t intimidate a 10 year old.

A whole bay of Tie fighters, nah we won’t launch any of those after the fleeing ships.

Talia’s open hand strike to the helmet of a stormtrooper was able to knock him down.

Reva is so good that Vader showed sympathy for her incompetence, because that’s what his character is known for.

Last edited:
this thread was entirely responsible to make me watch this show. after 3 episodes i confess to being seriously underwhelmed. i had expected something if not as good as to at least belong in same galaxy as the mandalorian.

SPOILERS

Yikes. After last week, I was really anticipating this episode. But that was by far the worst episode. The impenetrable base, the improbable rescue, the tracker. It’s time for some new plots in Star Wats universe. It would actually be interesting to see a plan go smoothly for once because it would be such a surprise. When they were walking across the platform at the end, anyone of us could have stopped watching and guessed the finish accurately at that point. We’ve seen it a dozen times.

OMG the slap and the trench coat. I lol'ed the slap. And there are just too many questions about the trench coat. How did that get past even the writer's room?!

Even the tomb/trophy room was disappointing and it was a really cool premise, The problem is that I did not recognize anyone. I guess they used some characters from the cartoon series.

Last edited:
I think what folks forget is only 12.4% of America's population is African American. The roles they play shouldn't be reduced to "token black friend" or "comic relief", BUT the simple fact their presence isn't equal to other races shouldn't be a black eye (no pun intended).

As of 2020
White (non-Hispanic) - 59.7%
Hispanic/Latino - 18.6%.
Black - 12.4%
Asian - 5.9%

Wowzers! Talk about a thread hijack.

Is the Galaxy Far Far Away only Americans? 59.8% of the Earth’s population lives in Asia. 16.9% lives in Africa and only 9.8% lives in Europe. 5.5% lives in South America while 7.2% live in the North America continent which includes Mexico and all the large island nations of the Caribbean. 0.6% live in Oceania. So if the Galaxy Far Far Away matched Earth’s population, for every white human there should be at least one Hispanic, two Blacks and six Asians.

FUv3DZTWYAALI2C

Joke stolen courtesy of Red Letter Media

Even the tomb/trophy room was disappointing and it was a really cool premise, The problem is that I did not recognize anyone. I guess they used some characters from the cartoon series.
It was pretty bad overall all but there were a lot of references to the video game fallen order. If you are familiar with that, you probably enjoyed it more than the average viewer. Guess I wasn’t the only one to notice. Some reviewers liked it more than others…

Last edited:
Reactions: JupiterHawk
It was pretty bad overall all but there were a lot of references to the video game fallen order. If you are familiar with that, you probably enjoyed it more than the average viewer. Guess I wasn’t the only one to notice. Some reviewers liked it more than others…

Ahhhh ok... Kind of obscure easter eggs but makes sense.

It affected others more than myself.

Is the Galaxy Far Far Away only Americans? 59.8% of the Earth’s population lives in Asia. 16.9% lives in Africa and only 9.8% lives in Europe. 5.5% lives in South America while 7.2% live in the North America continent which includes Mexico and all the large island nations of the Caribbean. 0.6% live in Oceania. So if the Galaxy Far Far Away matched Earth’s population, for every white human there should be at least one Hispanic, two Blacks and six Asians.
Maybe the Galaxy Far Far Away is only white folk and non-humanoids. :cool:

jk

1*OTARdrj_JJ1oCWpsQSMLrA.jpeg

Star-Wars-Black-Actors-Ranked-600x302.jpg

ddauc55-eeb9dbb9-670a-4e15-a969-3ffe63cefc60.jpg

fennec-shand-main_25402b49.jpeg

JTF_FF_000556.0.jpeg

Back to Kenobi, how does this series create issues with the following statements:

Leia - "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire."

No mention of the fact he rescued her as a child?

Darth Vader - "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master."

Last time they met Vader whooped his arse. Maybe they meet a 2nd time and Obi bests him with the high ground?

Terrible, purposeless character that has nothing to do with race.
Agreed, I have many problems with Last Jedi. The race for her character is not one of them.

Back to Kenobi, how does this series create issues with the following statements:

Leia - "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire."

No mention of the fact he rescued her as a child?

Darth Vader - "I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, but now I am the master."

Last time they met Vader whooped his arse. Maybe they meet a 2nd time and Obi bests him with the high ground?

It’s another reason I wished they’d not included Kenobi and Vader meeting in person in the show. You can sidestep the Leia issue by saying her message to him was kept brief due to circumstances - after all her ship had been boarded and she was about to be captured, hardly time for a longer message aside from explaining the importance of the droid.

It’s another reason I wished they’d not included Kenobi and Vader meeting in person in the show. You can sidestep the Leia issue by saying her message to him was kept brief due to circumstances - after all her ship had been boarded and she was about to be captured, hardly time for a longer message aside from explaining the importance of the droid.
The only way around the New Hope Vader/Kenobi issue is Ben continues to reconnect with the Force, returning to his former glory and bests Vader in the final episode with some sort of smart ass comment like, "you've still much to learn my padawan." That would poise Ben as Anakin's Master (still), thus making the Death Star quote still viable.

The only way around the New Hope Vader/Kenobi issue is Ben continues to reconnect with the Force, returning to his former glory and bests Vader in the final episode with some sort of smart ass comment like, "you've still much to learn my padawan." That would poise Ben as Anakin's Master (still), thus making the Death Star quote still viable.
Kenobi writers reading HORT: "I thought we were screwed but holy f*ck that's brilliant! Let's reshoot the ending."

Agreed. Overall the show is better than expected, but definitely has plot holes.

Main issue I’ve always had with shows or movies like this is that there’s no actual danger to the main characters. We know Kenobi, Leia and Vader will all be around for New Hope, so we’re robbed of true suspense surrounding those characters.

It’s one of the reasons Rogue One turned out to be good. All new characters so you didn’t know who was safe or not - basically none of the as it turned out.

Terrible, purposeless character that has nothing to do with race.
For many people, it does have to do with race. But not for everyone.

I didn't care for her character. Her sister had a more interesting story and she died in the first few minutes of the movie. Nothing against the actress, the writing for the character was bad. The saving the people we love line was seriously horrible considering Finn was trying to save a large amount of people that he loved and she stopped him from doing that.

For many people, it does have to do with race. But not for everyone.

I didn't care for her character. Her sister had a more interesting story and she died in the first few minutes of the movie. Nothing against the actress, the writing for the character was bad. The saving the people we love line was seriously horrible considering Finn was trying to save a large amount of people that he loved and she stopped him from doing that.
Agreed.

It's sad Disney Execs had to brief the Third Sister actress that she'd likely receive racial backlash. It's so sad people still think through the lens of color.

They showed like 30 TIE fighters at the base at the beginning. Then let a crappy little shop fly away with all three of them with no chase. Weird. Just shouldn’t have shown the fighters.
Third Sister let them escape due to the tracking device placed in Lola. It only had to look somewhat convincing, hence why she killed Wade and not the other ship. She wants Kenobi AND the Path location.

I liked it. I'm amazed at the poor reviews on this site. It's just a TV show for entertainments sake. Just enjoy it.

I particularly liked Obi striking out in the dark with his light Saber and then turning it off to disappear in the dark again. Very cool visuals.

It was pretty pretty good
I woke up early and saw @irunlikeAcieEarl 's post and decided to watch it. I really enjoyed it. Definitely some badass moments from both sides. The cliffhanger is very interesting considering what we know happens in the future. I am concerned we will not see that duel after all. Will wait for others to chime in before discussing spoilers.

I will say one thing:
Peak Vader is f'ing incredible. The life saber duel was amazing and maybe my favorite. Holy shit!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT