ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive and Defensive rankings

It'll be interesting to see how both units do over the season. I expect both will improve quite a bit.
I have no doubt Phil's D will continue to improve. We saw some good things early on with the O, let's hope the mistakes get corrected. We don't need Oregon points, just a consistent offense that can run and no matador plays by the line that are drive killers.

It'll be interesting to see how both units do over the season. I expect both will improve quite a bit.
It's funny how people's expectations have been set over the past few years. We expect perfection from the defense and when it's not there we wonder what's wrong. If the offense rises to a level of competence everyone will be ecstatic.

It's funny how people's expectations have been set over the past few years. We expect perfection from the defense and when it's not there we wonder what's wrong. If the offense rises to a level of competence everyone will be ecstatic.
Agreed. When Dejean didn't come up with that ball on Saturday, many acted as if he'd somehow let the team down and blown the play. Man, has perspective been skewed.

Honestly, if you saw the look on his face when he didn't come up with that, I'm sure he's harder on himself then anyone...
I noticed that.

The first thing that popped in my head was that he wasn't feeling 100%.

Not because he didn't make the catch, but how he LOOKED after.

Maybe it was the heat, idk.

But he didn't look great.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
Honestly, if you saw the look on his face when he didn't come up with that, I'm sure he's harder on himself then anyone...
No doubt. But again, we're so spoiled by our D. Those kind of "almost got it" plays on D are common. Only here do some view like a WR dropped a pass wide open in the end zone. That said, I'd rather he come up short last week...and pick one or two this Saturday.

No doubt. But again, we're so spoiled by our D. Those kind of "almost got it" plays on D are common. Only here do some view like a WR dropped a pass wide open in the end zone. That said, I'd rather he come up short last week...and pick one or two this Saturday.
We've been spoiled since Norm was here. Man, we've had some awesome defenses over the last 25 years! I'm never worried about them, they'll get it figured out. Parker always does, he's the heart and soul of Iowa football just like Norm was before him.

Both will if Cade stays healthy.

Lot of overconfidence going on in this fanbase, though, assuming that's gonna play out over a 12+ game schedule...................

Because I can promise you this team is going Under 8.5 wins if they have to rely on a backup QB that looks like the failed fusion of Goten and Trunks from DragonBall Z..................

dragon_ball_z___fat_gotenks_by_diogouchiha_d689dkx-fullview.png

Agreed. Yes, he blew that play. But he has a giant sack of goodwill built up, so I am certain he is the only person in the world that didn’t forgive him immediately. And it’s not like the play was a gimme - it would have been highlight reel material had he pulled it off.

He is my favorite Hawk.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I noticed that.

I noticed that.

I thought he looked fast….😉

We've been spoiled since Norm was here. Man, we've had some awesome defenses over the last 25 years! I'm never worried about them, they'll get it figured out. Parker always does, he's the heart and soul of Iowa football just like Norm was before him.
Iowa defense was very good under Norm but nothing like they've been since Phil took the reins. He's in reload mode with top 10 defenses seemingly every year.

The Big Ten has good defenses and so does ISU which sure limits our offensive production. 2022 these are the scoring defenses we faced. #1 Illinois, #4 Minn, #7 Mich, #13 Kentucky, #17 Wisc, #18 ISU, and #24 OSU who allowed 21 points per game. Iowa was #2 behind the #1 Illinois defense who allowed 12.8 PPG. Over half the teams we faced had a top 25 defense.

2021 Scoring Defenses Wisc #4, Minn #6, PSU #6 Tie, Mich #8, ISU #20, Kentucky #26. Iowa was at #13 behind 4 defenses we faced including 2 in the Big West. Kentucky allowed 21.7 PPG while the top 4 defenses we faced all allowed less than 18 PPG. We faced 4 top ten defenses and 6 top 26 defenses.

I'm hoping to see more pressure from our D line on the opposing QB this week and perhaps mix in a healthy dose of blitzing when the situation allows. How often did we send a blitzer in obvious passing situations last week? I don't recall many.
It was a "okay" performance against a team they had 0 tape on because of a new OC for USU. I'm guessing the D will improve v ISU, especially the VA LB transfer who had a very quiet game.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I'm hoping to see more pressure from our D line on the opposing QB this week and perhaps mix in a healthy dose of blitzing when the situation allows. How often did we send a blitzer in obvious passing situations last week? I don't recall many.
Will be interested to see how mobile Mr Rocco is.

Just 2 carries versus UNI, so run as a last resort kind of guy or QB sneak guy.

That's not how you measure a D.
Sincerely,
OP's Mom
My Mom died recently, but thanks for the shout out.

What metrics would you suggest are more representative of a defense's performance than how may points they give up and how many yards they give up? (add turnovers, sure)

they didn't even run any d-line stunts that i noticed either, which are normally very effective

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
My Mom died recently, but thanks for the shout out.

What metrics would you suggest are more representative of a defense's performance than how may points they give up and how many yards they give up? (add turnovers, sure)
Twas nothing but a joke

After week 3 93rd in offensive efficiency and 8th in defensive efficiency. Penn St. is 21st and 6th. yikes... Hope the Hawks can cause some turn overs.
Well, let's just say Penn State is hopefully due to commit a few turnovers this week. They have yet to give the ball away this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT