ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Cardinals 2018 Thread***

The Cardinals Front Office will interview Joe Girardi
this Fall for the manager position. He would accept
the challenge and make a good manager for the Cards.
I hope not. I like the way they're playing and hope they give Shildt serious consideration

I hope not. I like the way they're playing and hope they give Shildt serious consideration

Barring an unmitigated disaster occurring, Shildt already has the job permanently imho.

He knew all the kids very well before he even got the job, and has been more sound strategy-wise in a month than Matheny ever was over 6 years combined.

They already know what they got. The guy has been in the organization for 15+ years and drew rave reviews for his work there. Joe Girardi will NOT be the next Cards manager.

Can't sleep...probably still wound up over tonight's game.

It wasn't pretty...and tomorrow's match-up I don't care for at all...but a gutsy win tonight.

Reactions: JWolf74
Gant vs. Gonzalez. Exact same ERAs @ 3.89. 4 - 4 vs. 7 - 8. Gant's been more consistent, while Gonzalez is trending down, 4.85 ERA last 15 games. I fear lefties too but we're hot and home field actually felt like the playoffs last night. Cards have played more road games at this point than any other team in MLB, so the schedule does move in our favor down the road........

WHEW

I'd really like to see, oh 15 runs tomorrow. And I'm beginning to believe the bullpen guys getting healthy are needed no matter what. Been playing a lot of games lately, and the mostly 5 to 6 inning starts appear to finally be catching up with them.

Also on tap...a place the Cards have not been since the end of the 2015 season. That's more than 10 games above .500.

Another equal ERA match up tonight with Gomber and Hellickson @ 3.50 each. Hellickson is a righty from Des Moines, out of Hoover High School, who is about a .500 pitcher with several teams over 8 years. 74 - 71 lifetime. Keep it going boys......

WHEW

I'd really like to see, oh 15 runs tomorrow. And I'm beginning to believe the bullpen guys getting healthy are needed no matter what. Been playing a lot of games lately, and the mostly 5 to 6 inning starts appear to finally be catching up with them.

Also on tap...a place the Cards have not been since the end of the 2015 season. That's more than 10 games above .500.
I agree. The starters have been great all year but the younger guys just can't go deep enough into games. The bullpen is going to get taxed over the last month so hopefully that doesn't kill the momentum.

The Cards' next off day is next Thursday 8/23, then another the following Monday 8/27. There's 46 calendar days left in the season...they have 5 total off days within those.

They need those injured pitchers to come back ASAP, even though the kids have been great.

"Survive until September".

Jebus...

Matt Carpenter exits game, HBP on left hand.

Oh great GoB's, please don't let that hand be broken.

Reactions: JWolf74
Bader is so fun to watch. Another great play in the outfield and his 2 run triple, the kid can absolutely fly.

Curious how The Wonger is tomorrow. He was in a lot of pain after getting plunked with that pickoff throw.

It looks like the Brewers have folded. They made a few questionable roster moves and their bullpen looks like ours did before we brought up all the AAA guys. Counsel getting tossed, breaking bats, throwing helmets, evidently old racist tweets from their AS reliever. I'm thinking we've passed them for good. Cubs have only scored 3 runs in three games ( though they did win 2 of the 3, still...) We've gone from 10 + Ks a game to 4 or 5.

Welp...2 out of 3, another series win.

Now, on to the Dodgers and Rockies on the road. I get the feeling this team is tired - a lot of energy expended in this run they're on, and I suspect that the run of series wins may come to an end in LA.

This is the type of roadie that will test St. Louis. LA especially, they just don't usually play well in LA. However, we miss Kershaw although still face a couple soft tossing lefties. Just get to their bullpen and I like our chances.

Played well against the Rocks in StL, and usually play well there historically. Keep it up.

The GREAT part about the week is they get a day off between series, then a day off next Monday. They are badly needed - the kids look like they are running on fumes, as well as Yadi and Carp.

Agree about the team needing some rest. Carpenter really looks like he could use an extra day of rest (Hitting .190 the last 15 games). I didn't expect him to keep up the torrid pace he was on; but he is looking tired. You hate to sit him; but giving him a day off next to one of the scheduled off days may rest him enough for the final push.

It will be interesting to see the moves they make when Fowler, Munoz, Martinez, Waino, and Wacha come off the DL.

I can see Munoz replacing Greg Garcia as the utility man. Martinez is definitely going to replace somebody in the bullpen. Really no room for Fowler unless he wants to be a 5th outfielder with Jose Martinez out there right now.

Waino has been one of my favorite Cardinals for a long time but I think its time for him to hang it up. I don't really see a fit for him down the stretch. Rotation has been good and I don't need to see him throwing 88-90.

I didn't see the pre-game so I don't know if something's imminent...but I see the bulk of those coming after 9/1 when rosters expand.

Munoz up and Wisdom down prior to that in the mean time makes sense if Yairo's healthy.

Talk about a see saw game. Brett Cecil comes in to save the day, then back to back against Jansen to take the lead.

Bud...shut 'em down please. BIG opportunity here to steal this game.

After several blown opportunities I decided to finish the game this AM as I just knew we were going to lose after the bases loaded, only one run scored and sending Gomber back out after that one hour inning. I didn't want to lose anymore sleep than I already had. Boy what a surprise that was.

Evidently that relief pitcher for the Dodgers in the longest inning I've ever seen...it took 14 minutes to throw 20 pitches to 4 batters.

I swear, never seen anything like it before. Wisdom's AB...the pitcher would take 20 seconds to get a sign, Wisdom would call time. The pitcher would then fidget wasting another 15 seconds. Then they'd go through the signs again for another 20 or so seconds...Wisdom - ready the entire time, would step out.

It was ridiculous. The funny thing was Hrabosky warned before the guy ever threw a pitch this would happen.

It took something like 42 minutes to play one half inning where 2 runs were scored.

It's apparently confirmed. Strictly a waiver claim. Wisdom is sent down, Fowler to the 60 day. I get the feeling when Munoz is ready, O'Neill will be sent down too.

About the only aspect I can see out of this is it means they're moving Carp to 3B against righties to put a left handed bat (Adams) in the lineup, and apparently that means it's roughly a platoon of Adams and Gyorko (for lefties) with Carp back at 1B.

They do need another lefty hitter, and preferably a power bat at that. Handsome Greg has been mostly awful as a PH this year, and Adams has always been good at that.

I'd say it means they're most likely sticking with Jose Martinez in RF with Munoz being the super sub all over the map until 9/1. This is strictly to get through August and then they can recall O'Neill and Garcia to sub in the OF and Wisdom as a rightie PH.

Needed a lefty bat, and this helps fill that void now that we're actually in contention again.

C-Mart activated as well.

SCARY moment with Carlos there...took a liner straight in the chest.

He was able to get off on his own power...but damn, that had to hurt.

It definitely looks like the St. Louis Cardinals will not
need the services of Joe Girardi as their next manager.

Toronto Blue Jays or Washington Nationals might give
him an interview.,

If O'Neil continues in right the grounds crew needs to bury an invisible fence and put a shock collar on him so he doesn't get in Bader's way in right center. Damn near three serious collisions last night, all appearing to be O'Neil disregarding Bader's calling him off.

Adamas and Yairo Munoz activated, Poncedeleon sent down (not surprising at all) - but Ozuna goes on the DL with his well known shoulder issue.

O'Neill catches a "break" I'd say.

I was wondering how his reaction was going to be after muscling up on a throw to the plate a game or two back.

O'Neill in LF and Martinez/Munoz in RF apparently until September.

Well, low IQ Ozuna had zero ( 0 ) chance on that play and allowed the tying run to walk into second base. Was he damaged goods when we got him? I assume he had to pass a physical before the contract.

They knew about the shoulder. He "passed" evidently. I get the feeling that's why the price wasn't nearly what it was for Yelich.

I also seem to recall a play in ST that he fell on it hard as well as a game early in-season that aggravated it. He's been dealing with it pretty well all things considered. It certainly has sapped power - but I guess he also could be in a condition like Kris Bryant too (maybe out for the rest of the year - let's hope not anyway).

He's hardly taken any days off this year. Might be a case of "well, you need the rest and we think we can afford to give you 10 days off here to get you right" kind of deal going on here.

And after last night's O'Neill near debacles in RF...they pulled the trigger to move TO to a more comfortable defensive position. And they have days off tomorrow and Monday so the game impact is less (finally).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT