ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Cardinals 2018 Thread***

I'm beginning to run out of words for how this team is playing right now. It really is amazing.

Pillar of Meat! Pauly De Mustard! Hell, Brett Cecil and Dakota Hudson. Flaherty...and Hicks striking out the side!

Just ripped the heart out of the Dodgers this series. Unreal. Enjoy the day off, guys! You earned it!

3345eb6995d4c358caa11313f1f11215--cardinals-news-cardinals-baseball.jpg
Cards continue to dominate LA. I love it!

Holliday just got called up by the Rockies today. Ending his career where he started. Another big bat to face this weekend

I was a little nervous about the stretch of the Nats, Brewers, @ Dodgers, and @ Rockies. A 10-3 record for that stretch is incredible and now 19-5 for the month of August.

Great recovery today after the 8th inning last night. Man this is fun to watch.

Indeed.

I admit I am worried about using Hudson in the situations he's been getting used in. I could see them using Carlos and now Leone getting those high leverage situations, and possibly Weaver too.

Mayers going down sucks. Hopefully it's simply because of prior over-use - but you always worry about shoulder issues.

It'll be interesting to see Waino and Wacha what roles they are put in. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a piggy back type setup with both. They could conceivably piggy back with Waino, Wacha, Ross and Ponce most of September.

Hell...we'll probably also get Bowman and Brebbia back too (maybe both?) to pitch the blowout innings like today.

Might have an 18 man staff at some point next month.

Reactions: JWolf74
Screw you guys for firing Matheny
Got back to " the Cardinal way. " Bringing up the guys through the AAA team. Memphis clinched the league again today, for the third year in a row even after the Cards plundered their roster after the unprecedented number of injuries. I have no idea why they wasted money on Fowler and Holland when we have homegrown players who are better and hustle more.

Today's news...

Wong to the DL, Wisdom recalled. Ugh (on Wong).

Looks like Shildt is getting the job full time now too, interim tag to be removed.

Got back to " the Cardinal way. " Bringing up the guys through the AAA team. Memphis clinched the league again today, for the third year in a row even after the Cards plundered their roster after the unprecedented number of injuries. I have no idea why they wasted money on Fowler and Holland when we have homegrown players who are better and hustle more.
I thought Matheny was the Cardinal way.

I thought Matheny was the Cardinal way.
The Cardinal way is developing players we draft or trade for early in their careers. Keeping FAs to a minimum. I'll give props to those who clamored for change, although Shildt was 7 - 7 till they revamped the bullpen, traded Pham, Dejong and Molina came off the DL, Fowler got hurt, Holland was released and the AAA boys took over the outfield. Again credit to Shildt but this is a different team we're looking at now.

Gyorko to the DL, Adolis Garcia up.

It'll be interesting to see how they parcel out the starts going forward.

who would want to play for a bunch of rude, racists fans? ;)
Dex hustled for the cubs and played really well!
Just the world keeping things even after heyward i guess?

Well a tenth straight franchise record tying series win for the Cards! Even with 4 starters on the DL the AAA boys come through again. Now we get the bottom feeders Cincy with 1 - 16 Homer Bailey vs Gomber tonight. Cubs vs. Phillies and we can gain on the division or pad the WC lead with some wins.....

The Cardinal way is developing players we draft or trade for early in their careers. Keeping FAs to a minimum. I'll give props to those who clamored for change, although Shildt was 7 - 7 till they revamped the bullpen, traded Pham, Dejong and Molina came off the DL, Fowler got hurt, Holland was released and the AAA boys took over the outfield. Again credit to Shildt but this is a different team we're looking at now.

You are correct that it is misguided to give too much credit to the managerial change. How many games did the Cardinals lose compliments of Holland, Lyons, Gregerson, Bowman, etc. Fowler going down was hugely positive for STL too.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Whew. I hate our relief pitching against the Reds offense.

Sweet wonderful September roster expansion is finally here. 3-4 more pitchers, maybe Sosa for infield depth, Kelly to give (err...make) Yadi rest.

Of course Votto is back for our series after missing the entire Cub series. :mad: Still the defense looks shaky after Gyorko and Wong went to the DL. Cubs finally getting to a competitive part of their schedule. Cubs payroll for 2018 now a whopping 231 million dollars, more than 80 million higher than the Cardinals....

So far, Ponce, Tyler Webb (please no more Cecil) and Kelly already in town evidently. Maybe get Ozuna back from the DL today also (if not more).

So far, Ponce, Tyler Webb (please no more Cecil) and Kelly already in town evidently. Maybe get Ozuna back from the DL today also (if not more).

Getting Ozuna back would be fantastic. Numbers not great this year but he was finally coming around before hitting the DL.

Also September is going to be an amazing month for the National Leauge. Six teams all potentially able to make the wild card.

Every game counts and the Cardinals have a tough month. Get it boyzzzz

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Well a tenth straight franchise record tying series win for the Cards! Even with 4 starters on the DL the AAA boys come through again. Now we get the bottom feeders Cincy with 1 - 16 Homer Bailey vs Gomber tonight. Cubs vs. Phillies and we can gain on the division or pad the WC lead with some wins.....

Did you guys sweep the Reds? Didn't get to see any of the Cards scores this weekend.

Did you guys sweep the Reds? Didn't get to see any of the Cards scores this weekend.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Team seems to be a tad bit out of mental gas at the moment.

Should have won today, bases loaded none out bottom of the 9th tied...then 3 straight batters decided to swing at anything but strikes the rest of the inning.

The Reds 3-4-5 batters then made them pay.

Nope. Votto is back. He missed the entire Cub$ series. Pissed that one away yesterday, now we get Scherzer while the Cub$ missed him, of course.

Cubs beat the Nats when Scherzer started a few weeks ago. You might remember the game, kinda dramatic ending, maybe a walk off grand slam or something like that. The Cubs beat basically every other elite NL East starter this past week oddly enough

Nope. Votto is back. He missed the entire Cub$ series. Pissed that one away yesterday, now we get Scherzer while the Cub$ missed him, of course.

Yes, the Cubs have been breezing through a light schedule of Scherzer, Syndegaard, deGrom and Nola the past couple of weeks. It's been nice.

Yes, the Cubs have been breezing through a light schedule of Scherzer, Syndegaard, deGrom and Nola the past couple of weeks. It's been nice.

It is just unfortunate that the Cardinals didn't play Miami and Milwaukee so they could fatten up their record like the Cubs.. I guess they had Cincy this past weekend to fat.... err, nevermind.

Cubs beat the Nats when Scherzer started a few weeks ago. You might remember the game, kinda dramatic ending, maybe a walk off grand slam or something like that. The Cubs beat basically every other elite NL East starter this past week oddly enough
So they didn't beat Scherzer, got it! Cub$ payroll has exploded with their latest hires, now second only to the Red Sox.

Red Sox @ 240.4 Million
Cub$ @ 239 Million
Cards @ 150 Million
Brewers @ 121 Million
Reds @ 97 Million
Pirates @ 79 Million

Question is how is the Central even a race given the $$$$ disparity? 2 X the Brewers, 3 X the Pirates, 90 million more than the Cards. Is there a 90 million dollar closer out there? Chapman......Bueller......anyone?

Last edited:
So they didn't beat Scherzer, got it! Cub$ payroll has exploded with their latest hires, now second only to the Red Sox.

Red Sox @ 240.4 Million
Cub$ @ 239 Million
Cards @ 150 Million
Brewers @ 121 Million
Reds @ 97 Million
Pirates @ 79 Million

Question is how is the Central even a race given the $$$$ disparity? 2 X the Brewers, 3 X the Pirates, 90 million more than the Cards. Is there a 90 million dollar closer out the? Chapman......

the cubs payroll is nowhere near 239, they are under the luxury tax limit.

Red Sox @ 240.4 Million
Cub$ @ 239 Million
Cards @ 150 Million
Brewers @ 121 Million
Reds @ 97 Million
Pirates @ 79 Million

Question is how is the Central even a race given the $$$$ disparity? 2 X the Brewers, 3 X the Pirates, 90 million more than the Cards. Is there a 90 million dollar closer out there? Chapman......Bueller......anyone?

How did you get $239 million? Did you just lump in Murphy's and Hamels' entire season deals and toss them into the Cubs' payroll? Cubs are only on the hook for about $5.5M for Murphy & Hamels combined. It appears the Cubs are currently the 4th highest MLB payroll at $193M, sitting behind Boston, San Francisco and LA Dodgers.

The Cubs are closer to #8 St. Louis's $163M payroll than they are to Boston's $228M.

EDIT: Apologies, forgot the link: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT