ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2019 thread*****

Haste makes waste. Did not read close enough.

I will admit to being too negative. On the other hand, you are a Pollyanna when it comes to this organization going forward.

I hope you are right, but when the payroll flexibility wanes, and the farm system is a steaming pile (which the Cubs certainly is), the window (which there should not be for a big money franchise like the Cubs) generally shortens. Two years ago, the Cubs ranked #1 in FanGraphs "next 5 years" rankings. They are currently at 7th. It's not just negative Cubs fans who think this.

I expect the Cubs to be good next year, because Theo will continue to be as short-term focused as Ricketts will allow him to be, and then 2020 will start the gradual decline. Theo will leave after his contract is up to go slay a new dragon. I just hope the Cubs don't look like the current SF Giants when that happens.

I don't think I'm Pollyanna. The Cubs have real challenges. That said, I think Theo could take the off season off and leave the team purely as-is and they'd win 90+.

I don't think there's much doubt that Javy looks like a star, KB is an MVP threat, Rizzo is a good productivity bat. The starting rotation,if older, is still above average.

I'll be very interested to see what happens this off season.

Here is the bottom line: The Cubs needed two starters last offseason. Because a blind squirrel could draft and develop pitching as well as this front office, they gave a megadeal to mentally weak and perpetually injured Yu Darvish, and a substantial deal to Tyler Chatwood. The two guys brought negative value to the org.

This year, they are due a combined $33.5M. Chatwood went so poorly that they have to pay Cole Hamels $20M to fix that mess. So the Cubs are paying $53.5M to their final two rotation spots.

If this organization could have produced a #5 starter through the system, they could be paying this starter somewhere between $500K and $3M.

There is your money to sign Bryce Harper and stat below $246M.

But I have been told that the Darvish/Chatwood deals and inept pitching infrastructure don't matter because "it's just money."

they just need to package happ or almora. I still think schwarber could be good next year. Package one of them or both with Chatwoods deal or maybe even Heyward if it’s possible. Than sign Harper or machado. I think they have to sign Harper or machado to win it next year.

they just need to package happ or almora. I still think schwarber could be good next year. Package one of them or both with Chatwoods deal or maybe even Heyward if it’s possible. Than sign Harper or machado. I think they have to sign Harper or machado to win it next year.
Nobody is taking Heyward's money off of Theo's hands. And, as mentioned earlier on I think his contract is a bit of an impediment with his multiple player options.
They can trade away younger guys, but it should be for an arm, or to clear up a spot. I was a proponent of trading away guys to the Marlins last offseason to get Yelich. The Marlins had a fire sale and Theo should have been more aggressive. Almora clearly needed to be a part of a deal there.
I am still wondering if the Cubs attempt to turn Chatwood into a really high priced bullpen guy. Strip him down like what the Royals did with Wade Davis. Make him a two pitch pitcher, and see what happens. I always hear how Chatwood is a four pitch pitcher. You ain't that if you can't get them over the plate. His fastball is good, so go with that and something off speed, with a slider one in ten pitches.

I think the cubs will go after McCutcheon
I saw that a few days ago. I would suggest all Cubs fans to be prepared to be underwhelmed this offseason. I think he is still a valuable player, but I wouldn't do anything past 2 years guaranteed.

I saw that a few days ago. I would suggest all Cubs fans to be prepared to be underwhelmed this offseason. I think he is still a valuable player, but I wouldn't do anything past 2 years guaranteed.

Next year's success or failure will come down to how well the starters pitch and whether the Cubs get one of their younger bats to rise up -- Happ, Schwarber, Almora, Russell, Contreras....not whether the Cubs get a huge free agent. The Cubs have a lot to like coming back, but there will need to be improvement in the guys they have to get back to where they were.

If the Cubs look to improve via trade, Montgomery might be a big chip

Next year's success or failure will come down to how well the starters pitch and whether the Cubs get one of their younger bats to rise up -- Happ, Schwarber, Almora, Russell, Contreras....not whether the Cubs get a huge free agent. The Cubs have a lot to like coming back, but there will need to be improvement in the guys they have to get back to where they were.

If the Cubs look to improve via trade, Montgomery might be a big chip
200.gif

Monty isn't going to net you much if he's the main part of a package. An auxillary piece yes.

I mean to enhance a package. Say a team wants to roll on Schwarber power but is a little touchy on consistency...addong Montgomery establishes a floor for the deal and helps the Cubs return.

I mean to enhance a package. Say a team wants to roll on Schwarber power but is a little touchy on consistency...addong Montgomery establishes a floor for the deal and helps the Cubs return.
Ah. The problem the Cubs have is either it will take some quantity which hurts their depth or they have to take on salary which prevents them from addressing other areas during the year. It's a narrow needle they are threading.

Reactions: hawkifann
Montgomery is cost controlled for 3 more years, he’s valuable both to the cubs and ad trade bait. He’s not bringing back a super star but he’s valuable.

Montgomery is cost controlled for 3 more years, he’s valuable both to the cubs and ad trade bait. He’s not bringing back a super star but he’s valuable.

Lefty. Wants to start also. I remember reading rumblings he wanted to be traded before last season if he wasn't going to start...something like that. But the Cubs apparently don't view him as anything other than a "6th starter/bullpen lefty" type, and they might be absolutely correct with that.

In a world where Edwin Jackson can get 17 starts with a wildcard team in 2018, all healthy "MLB average starting pitchers" have value.

Sign Donaldson to a 1 year deal, move Bryant to left, trade for pitching. Maybe sign Lemehiu

Or they are keeping there cards really tight to the vest about what they are really up to. We had a two hour presser a couple of weeks ago with Theo saying there will be changes. Now they are putting out this message that they are handcuffed by salary issues and they can't do much on the FA market. Smokescreen.

Look, if they can add Donaldson, Lemehiu, Realmuto, Chavez....... and trade for a stud starter, i'd be tickled

Reactions: lucas80
Sign Donaldson to a 1 year deal, move Bryant to left, trade for pitching. Maybe sign Lemehiu

What kind of pitching are you talking about? The Cubs rotation is (in whatever order you like): Lester, Hendricks, Hamels, Darvish, Quintana with Montgomery and Chatwood in the wings to fill gaps. If you're going to "trade for pitching", who is going to move out? Lester's deal has been 200% worth it for the Cubs, but he's not an attractive trade target at his age with his deal. The Cubs shouldn't trade Hendricks. They just took the option on Hamels, so he's going nowhere. Darvish is not tradeable. Quintana could be dealt, but is there really a deal out there for a "stud" starter that doesn't involve Javy or KB (or arguably Contreras)?

15/17/18 the hitters blew it......
I would hardly call us beating the nats an "upset"......
Beating a team in a best of 5 when they have Scherzer and Strassburg to start 3 of the 5 games would be an upset in most people's books, especially with the way Strasburg pitched in the 2nd half that year.

Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
What kind of pitching are you talking about? The Cubs rotation is (in whatever order you like): Lester, Hendricks, Hamels, Darvish, Quintana with Montgomery and Chatwood in the wings to fill gaps. If you're going to "trade for pitching", who is going to move out? Lester's deal has been 200% worth it for the Cubs, but he's not an attractive trade target at his age with his deal. The Cubs shouldn't trade Hendricks. They just took the option on Hamels, so he's going nowhere. Darvish is not tradeable. Quintana could be dealt, but is there really a deal out there for a "stud" starter that doesn't involve Javy or KB (or arguably Contreras)?
Happ, Schwarber, Monty for Syndergaard or DeGrom.

if the mets are dumb enough to make that trade you do it in a second.
From the Mets perspective, you're gaining two position players with bat skills, and Montgomery is servicable. DeGrom is only controlled through this next year, so, not sure I even like that from the Cubs side.

From the Mets perspective, you're gaining two position players with bat skills, and Montgomery is servicable. DeGrom is only controlled through this next year, so, not sure I even like that from the Cubs side.
This deal would have made more sense before this past season, or even mid season.

Sitting around today waiting for the GD F***** garage door repairman to show up, besides politics stuff I've been catching up on BN and BCB. It's going to be a very interesting offseason in general. Both sites are linking stuff about possible rebuilds for the Giants and Mariners. If both of those teams blow things up there are some awesome trade opportunities for the Cubs.
Erick Leal has probably pitched his way onto the 40 man roster. Nico Hoerner is raking in the AFL. And, a name I have mentioned before, Dakota Mekkes, looks more and more like a legitimate bullpen arm for 2019.

Beating a team in a best of 5 when they have Scherzer and Strassburg to start 3 of the 5 games would be an upset in most people's books, especially with the way Strasburg pitched in the 2nd half that year.

Just my opinion though.
I expected the cubs to win that series and felt they were the better team.

I still find it crazy that our starters don't get the credit they deserve :(

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT