ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2019 thread*****

Clutch hitting.

Look, I'm not saying I don't want Harper on the Cubs. I think he would work great there. I just think that a Cubs infield with Machado and Baez up the middle and Contreras behind the plate sounds better than an outfield with Harper in it. The Cubs can't sign both of them, so I guess I'd rather have Machado now that Russell is compromised.

If the Cubs do go after Harper, that means the issue with Bryant's shoulder is far worse than they have been leading on.
from 2015-17 espn shows him with runners on and/or risp/loaded with an ops over 1000

I think Brett Taylor nailed it regarding Chili Davis today. To paraphrase, the Cubs didn’t create an opening on their staff last off-season and bring in Davis for a one year experiment. And, Joe Maddon made it really clear he wanted him on the staff.
I can’t see them firing him now. I guess if they struggle offensively early on next year they will jettison him pretty quickly, though.

I think Brett Taylor nailed it regarding Chili Davis today. To paraphrase, the Cubs didn’t create an opening on their staff last off-season and bring in Davis for a one year experiment. And, Joe Maddon made it really clear he wanted him on the staff.
I can’t see them firing him now. I guess if they struggle offensively early on next year they will jettison him pretty quickly, though.

I'm willing to look at hitting coach as a coordinator type position, where there's a philosophy and development of a style. I don't know that it's good to churn hitting coaches, so for that reason, I'm good with keeping Chili another year to see where things go. The offense has to get better, though.

Does anyone have a minor league player that they think will impact the roster next season? As the piece by Levine points out, the Cubs have been deficient in pushing pitchers through the system.
Adbert Alzolay?
James Norwood?
Trevor Clifton?
Thomas Hatch?
James Underwood?
Those seem to be the pitchers who could impact.
Could Nico Hoerner or Zach Short jump up to be a utility player by mid season? I have always been a fan of Aramais Ademan, but he and Miguel Amaya are just too far off.

Does anyone have a minor league player that they think will impact the roster next season? As the piece by Levine points out, the Cubs have been deficient in pushing pitchers through the system.
Adbert Alzolay?
James Norwood?
Trevor Clifton?
Thomas Hatch?
James Underwood?
Those seem to be the pitchers who could impact.
Could Nico Hoerner or Zach Short jump up to be a utility player by mid season? I have always been a fan of Aramais Ademan, but he and Miguel Amaya are just too far off.

Alex Lange maybe? I don't really know, the last two years have just been horrible for starting pitching development in the minors. I think Amaya gets moved next year.

Jason McLeod was on David Kaplan’s show today. Kap jumped right into the farm system and McLeod was transparent about the fact that trading Torres, Eloy, Cease, Candelario, and others really emptied them out.

Kap jumped right into the pitching and McLeod doesn’t run from the fact that they have failed miserably in this regard. All he could do was point to the guys in High A and AA and say that they are encouraged, but it sounds like platitudes to me.

McLeod is the guy who I think should be fired if they don’t win the NL Central in 2019. At some point if the team falls short of its goals, it’s time to look at the men in charge of forming the roster and the development pipeline.

For those wanting to sign Harper, I hope it happens, but I really hope that folks aren’t mad at Tom Ricketts if he doesn’t want to go deep into the tax. It would be very easy to say, “Theo, you’ve given horrible contracts to Heyward, Darvish, and Chatwood, why should I let you give an even bigger one?”

For those wanting to sign Harper, I hope it happens, but I really hope that folks aren’t mad at Tom Ricketts if he doesn’t want to go deep into the tax. It would be very easy to say, “Theo, you’ve given horrible contracts to Heyward, Darvish, and Chatwood, why should I let you give an even bigger one?”

No to Harper. No to Machado.

Except there still isn't a lead off hitter in the bunch. JFC.
harper has a career obp of .388(and even higher over the past 3 years). that isn't good enough for you?

It really won't matter though as long as joey keeps playing musical chairs with the lineup.....

harper has a career obp of .388(and even higher over the past 3 years). that isn't good enough for you?

It really won't matter though as long as joey keeps playing musical chairs with the lineup.....
If whoever signs Harper bats him leadoff. .that team will regret that bigly.

No one with half a brain would pay him big $$$ and do that.

Guarandamnteed.

If whoever signs Harper bats him leadoff. .that team will regret that bigly.

No one with half a brain would pay him big $$$ and do that.

Guarandamnteed.
What is wrong with him batting leadoff with 3 possible mvp candidates behind him(all with power)?

What playoff team has a traditional lead off hitter?
Good point, but I just think with the current make up of the team they need a guy that can walk/beat out a grounder, steal a base, advance on a fly ball, and score on sac fly.

I’ll just say after watching the ALDS, I’m sure glad my team isn’t managed by Aaron Boone. Maybe hiring a guy with no coaching experience wasn’t such a great idea.

He runs a a significant risk. I know everyone is putting a happy face on his shoulder injury, and even if that is fine, what if he breaks an ankle or wrecks a knee next season? Or, he just doesn't continue to develop?

He’s under team control until he turns 30. I think it is a mistake on his part to turn down the money but that’s the boras way.

He’s under team control until he turns 30. I think it is a mistake on his part to turn down the money but that’s the boras way.
Huge mistake. Boras client looking to get paid the mega deal at 30 years old. Has nobody been paying attention? The days of mega deals for 30 year olds are over.

If KB wants to be a Cub and the Cubs are willing to pay him a fair offer and lock him long term I am all for it. If KB wants to go for the mega deal at 30 years old then I say thank you for being a great Cub I wish you well with your future team. This is a similar situation to the Cards and Albert Pujols. The Cards were wise to let Pujols walk for nothing, look at what the Angels are saddled with now. MLB teams have learned and aren't paying big bucks for aging stars anymore.

Huge mistake. Boras client looking to get paid the mega deal at 30 years old. Has nobody been paying attention? The days of mega deals for 30 year olds are over.

If KB wants to be a Cub and the Cubs are willing to pay him a fair offer and lock him long term I am all for it. If KB wants to go for the mega deal at 30 years old then I say thank you for being a great Cub I wish you well with your future team. This is a similar situation to the Cards and Albert Pujols. The Cards were wise to let Pujols walk for nothing, look at what the Angels are saddled with now. MLB teams have learned and aren't paying big bucks for aging stars anymore.
Good point. The trend is definitely away from big deals in the 30+ age bracket. Pujols hasn't been miserable, but he isn't worth the sum of the contract.
A cynical Cubs fan could also point to the folly of huge deals to younger players like Jason Heyward, too. :)

Good point. The trend is definitely away from big deals in the 30+ age bracket. Pujols hasn't been miserable, but he isn't worth the sum of the contract.
A cynical Cubs fan could also point to the folly of huge deals to younger players like Jason Heyward, too. :)

One could also point out that this doesn't have to be a binary point in the negotiation. Cubs control him for a couple more seasons.

Reactions: dgordo
Clutch hitting.

Look, I'm not saying I don't want Harper on the Cubs. I think he would work great there. I just think that a Cubs infield with Machado and Baez up the middle and Contreras behind the plate sounds better than an outfield with Harper in it. The Cubs can't sign both of them, so I guess I'd rather have Machado now that Russell is compromised.

If the Cubs do go after Harper, that means the issue with Bryant's shoulder is far worse than they have been leading on.

Couple of questions - if the Cubs sign Machado, where does Murph play? Left field?

Also, I don't get the connection between Harper and Bryant.

Another good example would be Cano in Seattle. I think most GMs know.

Couple of questions - if the Cubs sign Machado, where does Murph play? Left field?

Wasn't Murphy a rental?

If they did offer Bryant that contract then there's no way they're thinking of signing anyone big in my opinion. I just don't think he's worth the big contract so it's kind of baffling to me.

Wasn't Murphy a rental?

If they did offer Bryant that contract then there's no way they're thinking of signing anyone big in my opinion. I just don't think he's worth the big contract so it's kind of baffling to me.

Actually, locking him into an extended contract gives the Cubs cost certainty and they are better able to project how big of a FA contract to offer and the best way to structure the deal.

1) Minnesota? How many years does he have left on his contract? If it is up this year then you don't resign him. Otherwise, I would think you would trade him for somebody or prospects. I love his bat but Machado's is pretty good too.

2) They grew up playing against/with each other in Las Vegas so they are friends. Harper has, at least subtly, expressed an interest in playing in Chicago. The problem is both Bryant and Harper will command precedent setting contracts. That's basically devoting $400 million+ (and that's a conservative guess) into two players. If Bryant's injury turns out to be far more severe than we've been lead to believe, that makes signing Harper a lot less complicated. For the record, I don't want Bryant to be hurt worse than he is.

Reactions: 33hawkfan
Is Theo an idiot? I hope Tom Ricketts tells him no on these big deals. As brilliant as Theo is with so many things with his job, he has a massive blind spot with big dollar free agent signings.

How did you picture the Cubs being built as Theo laid the groundwork here? To start, they hit on a good number of draft choices, Bryant being maybe the biggest hit. Are you envisioning a scenario where the Cubs have a constant stream of 22-28yos coming up and then letting them all walk when they hit FA, replaced by another kid from the system? I don't think that's realistic. The last dynasty built from within was the 1990s Yankees and even they didn't do this. They kept Pettitte, Rivera and Jeter. I figured all along that the Cubs would roll as long as they could with the cheap, cost-controlled talent and then pick 1-3 to try to lock in through their primes.

If Kris Bryant's shoulder isn't chronic (and all reports say it's not), then I would assume he'd heal up and likely go back to the hitter he's been.....which is top 10 level talent in all of MLB. Of course he's going to get expensive. I don't love huge FA deals at 30, but KB is 26. Barring chronic injury, I'd expect elite MLB hitters to be in their prime from 27-33. Some guys last longer, some fade earlier, but it's pretty legit for hitters at that level to be quite good to at least 32-33. If you wait out KB's contract, then he'll be looking for his one big payday at 30. I would fully expect the Cubs to start trying now to extend him. Even if they have to pay virtually open market rates and, say, a 6-year deal, at least you're locking him in and paying for his 27-32 seasons. I have no problem with that.

If I was the Cubs right now, I'd look to see if I could lock in KB and Baez. Right now, all the key pieces are open questions after 2021. Lock those two in and you have the start of a core still in their prime beyond 2021.

People need to understand that bryant was hurt from the end of May on, look at his numbers before he got hurt. He is an elite player.

Reactions: hawkifann
I like Kris Bryant but he isn't worth anywhere close to 200 million and that's with a healthy shoulder. I hope Boras' ego continues to save us from Theo making a very bad and long lasting decision.

I like Kris Bryant but he isn't worth anywhere close to 200 million and that's with a healthy shoulder. I hope Boras' ego continues to save us from Theo making a very bad and long lasting decision.

Using Fangraphs WAR, it’s estimated that 1 WAR is worth about $9-9.5M the last two seasons and projected for $10.5M in 2019 and $11M in 2020.

KB’s first 3 seasons, he posted WARs of 6.1, 7.9 and 6.7. This year, even with the injury, he posted a 2.3. If he returns healthy, I think his next 4 seasons (through age 31) are clearly protectable in the 6.5-7.5 WAR. If I use $10M/WAR conservatively for the 4 years and give him a 7 WAR average, that would give the Cubs a projection of $70M/season for a total 4 yr value of $280M.

WAR isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty good and pretty well respected in front offices. A deal won’t be priced strictly per these estimates, as there’s risk for the club in laying out guaranteed $$$$, but it gives a framework.

Reactions: dgordo
you know nothing about the offer, just like the rest of us(well, accept that it was over 200m and "fair")

ADVERTISEMENT