ADVERTISEMENT

***Official Penn State Purdue thread ***

Continuing to play that way when you don't need to is the odd thing. They could have milked the clock the last few possessions and didn't. Conservatism gets criticized a lot but it works in your favor sometimes.
Went back and looked at the PBP. After the pick-six, Purdue forced a punt after 4 plays and out and got it with 6:27 left. With over 6 minutes left, looked like Brohm treated it as he needed to score another TD to put the game away. I don't disagree with him. After 2 incomplete passes, they hit Jones for 15 on 3rd and 10 to the Purdue 46. Next play, got a PI call to move the ball to the PSU 45. It's at this point where one could argue to go real conservative here and try to eek out one more first down for a FG. But that is not for sure. And Brohm is thinking just score a TD and end the game. First down, they complete a pass to the PSU 30 but there is a chop block penalty that takes it back 15 yards. Drive ends up going nowhere.

Purdue defense forces another 3 and out, after punt Purdue has it with 4:28 left. Complete pass on first down, 1 yard. Clock keeps running. Next play is snapped with 3:39, incomplete. 3rd and 9, complete for a first down at the Purdue 41. With 2:56 left Purdue runs for 4 yards on first down. PSU uses its first timeout. Right here is where the decision has to be made. Purdue can choose to run the ball two more times and make PSU use its timeouts. But if it doesn't get the 6 yards needed PSU gets the ball back with over 2 minutes left and 0 timeouts. Brohm chooses aggressive route, 2 incompletions and a touchback means PSU gets the ball at its 20 with 2 timeouts left.

Even though the result was a loss, I would argue that how Brohm approached the end gave his team the best chance to win. He was going to let the best part of his team (the offense) try and win the game. There is no guarantee they get a first down with 2 more runs. We will never know as he chose to throw the ball.

Purdue's penalties (9 of them) were very crucial. They made just enough huge mistakes with the penalties and giving up the long TD to the TE to end the second quarter to lose the game. They seem to do these things against the good teams they play other than Iowa, when they make zero mistakes.

O'Connell is good/accurate, but Purdue's passing O gained 358 passing yards on 58 attempts, for 6.1 yards per attempt. That is not very good. Petras averaged 6.52 yards per attempt for 2021, just as comparison. And O'Connell average 8.4 yards per attempt last year.

I do think Purdue is pretty good and their schedule is very favorable. It was huge that PSU knocked them off for the West race. If Jones does not get hurt, he will put up big numbers in that offense and it will sting every week. But I see where Purdue could be inefficient throwing the ball against good teams. Jones is a very nice player, but if he is getting 19 targets a game, it also means you don't have other great options to throw to. Jones could have been featured more at Iowa, but he is not David Bell.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Didn’t read through most of thread so not sure if mentioned. But that loss was big for Iowa and rest of the west division. Purdue has Maryland & Indiana as their other 2 cross overs games. with getting psu first game home at night no time the better then to have played them. Game was theirs for the taking and they pulled a Frost. Reminds me a bit of last season how psu game week 1 vs Wisconsin paid off end of season and helped us win the west. Because I can easily see another 2 loss team winning the west again.

Didn’t read through most of thread so not sure if mentioned. But that loss was big for Iowa and rest of the west division. Purdue has Maryland & Indiana as their other 2 cross overs games. with getting psu first game home at night no time the better then to have played them. Game was theirs for the taking and they pulled a Frost. Reminds me a bit of last season how psu game week 1 vs Wisconsin paid off end of season and helped us win the west. Because I can easily see another 2 loss team winning the west again.
Yes it was huge. Purdue's other crossovers are Maryland and Indiana. Whereas Iowa has OSU and Michigan. Still would be a path for Iowa to win the West even if losing to both Michigan and OSU. If that happens, Iowa would likely have to beat Wisconsin, Minnesota and Purdue. Not an easy task, but could happen.

Even though the result was a loss, I would argue that how Brohm approached the end gave his team the best chance to win. He was going to let the best part of his team (the offense) try and win the game. There is no guarantee they get a first down with 2 more runs. We will never know as he chose to throw the ball.
You might be right - we'll never know. And, as soon as I am done typing this I will no longer care. BUT -

After the illegal block penalty there was about 5:06 on the clock and it was 2nd and 25. In that situation, picking up the first down is a long shot. In fact, AO threw a couple of very dangerous passes trying to pick it up.

But, they didn't pick it up and burned 6 seconds off the clock.

Running the ball on 2nd and 3rd downs burns 80 seconds or you force PSU to use TO's. I think that would have been a much smarter strategy.

Not that it matter - PSU didn't need the TO's as the rolled down the field to win the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT