ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

My big takeaway from this is that BK is getting ripped. Can’t wait to see what a kid with his genetic makeup will look like come August. Dude is a beast.

To be frank, I don’t care about Ferrari one way or the other anymore. My give a shit with him is busted.
When are they moving into the new facility? That's the old weight room.

Unless the NIL offer to Alirez includes a commitment to join the HWC, $500K for one year is simply ridiculous when this team in nowhere close to competing for a title, imo.
Are you writing the check? This is going to be the norm. If you are a national champ or a serious contender you are going to have the ability to demand this type of money moving forward. At least how things are with NIL. It just takes a few guys with deep pockets and a willingness to throw that money around. I mean Perkins left Iowa because he could get 500k. Now that should blow your mind.

Reactions: el dub
It is depressing what has become of college athletics and definitely harder to watch. I expect the results are probably worse for fb and bb (I don’t know and don’t care) but the wrestling landscape is much different. Likely there is more damage being done beteeen the haves and have nots. Over time, a lot of smaller wrestling programs could disappear as there may not be any point in trying. There are at most 10-15 competitive teams now depending on your definition. If the same 5-8 schools are buying the best available talent each year, we are on a pretty slippery slope imo.
SCOTUS said whatever. Do you have any background in how we got here from the way it was to now?

This was coming and you couldn’t stop it. The way it used to be was from the English aristocracy their views on sport. It was beneath them to be paid for doing something like this, it was pretty good of the game, etc. etc. etc.

Great if you’re a rich guy, tut tut old chap, but the rest of the regulars don’t have a family fortunate fall back on. That influenced athletics for a whole long period of time, and countries developed workarounds along before we did. For example, communist countries usually had army officers compete in these games.

Their was to play hockey or basketball or lift or run sprints. This started to change in the late 80s and early 90s if you happen to recall the dream team. The way we grew up with does not exist anymore. It is never coming back.

SCOTUS said whatever. Do you have any background in how we got here from the way it was to now?

This was coming and you couldn’t stop it. The way it used to be was from the English aristocracy their views on sport. It was beneath them to be paid for doing something like this, it was pretty good of the game, etc. etc. etc.

Great if you’re a rich guy, tut tut old chap, but the rest of the regulars don’t have a family fortunate fall back on. That influenced athletics for a whole long period of time, and countries developed workarounds along before we did. For example, communist countries usually had army officers compete in these games.

Their was to play hockey or basketball or lift or run sprints. This started to change in the late 80s and early 90s if you happen to recall the dream team. The way we grew up with does not exist anymore. It is never coming back.
this ranks right up there with the dumbest pile of rubbish posted on any board in the history of sports or internet or wrestling.

it'll be OKST or Iowa but i have no idea who leads rn. there was a bunch of smoke at the US Open that Alirez was going to go in and it was all iowa but i know there were convos with OK ST.

There's a lot of possible reinforcements for the Hawks with Cannon now in plus Alirez and Parco.
Cannon going in right after Alirez announced would seem to indicate to me that Michigan is likely in on Alirez as well. Cannon was supposed to be their 141 this year to allow Lemley to RS. Alirez fits Michigan's MO to a tee, and may be the best option in terms of grad school educational opportunities, which will be a bigger factor in grad transfers in non-revenue sports.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Cannon going in right after Alirez announced would seem to indicate to me that Michigan is likely in on Alirez as well. Cannon was supposed to be their 141 this year to allow Lemley to RS. Alirez fits Michigan's MO to a tee, and may be the best option in terms of grad school educational opportunities, which will be a bigger factor in grad transfers in non-revenue sports.
Maybe Lemley won’t RS even if Alirez goes elsewhere … ?

Reactions: GableBeer
The problem with NIL and wrestling is the scoring system. If dual meets mattered, depth mattered and lower placements were valued more the system could correct itself.

All value is in potential top 3 placers. 1% of the 1%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT