ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Love seeing the whining and tears from the familiar crowd on X/Twitter.

I don't know who needs to hear this but,

LET'S GO HAWKS!

Notice the potential amount of the bag is only discussed when an individual is thinking about going to Iowa. Bag amounts have never been discussed with PSU, Michigan, Ohio State, or Oklahoma State transfers.

Mineo says Iowa. Take that for it is worth.
Nobody cares what he has to say.
This portal stuff really sucks for the smaller programs that finally can feel good about an accomplishment. I feel bad for NCO.
I think after this year, I will be done following college wrestling. And I have been a life long fan. I wonder if others feel the same way. I have to think that with viewership dropping, I am not alone.
I’m sure PSU fans felt the same way for cal poly and cal baptist last year

Yeah, Nagao and Truax caused a stir, especially with the reports of big offers for both from Iowa that they both rejected (who knows if true, but that was the word on the street at the time anyway), but Mesenbrink was completely under the radar, except for one or two guys on the PSU board who were on it immediately and said he was going to be the best of the three by far. The twitter buzz was almost exclusively around Nagao and Truax, though.
PSU paid them more. That’s info mineo wont tell u

So very true. When you pair it with completely unregulated NIL offers, it becomes an untethered beast…
Wrestling is lucky for now because it's smaller so until there is some semblance of sanity I think it'll do ok. But basketball and football are going to have issues sooner than later. that's when some fix or rules will be put into place.

As much as a segment of PSU loved their wrestling, football is the big sport for most and I can see the frustration with this problem already. Anyone out of the top ten is going to get pretty salty rather soon.

Look with pro sports? It's not as wide open there as in college.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Notice the potential amount of the bag is only discussed when an individual is thinking about going to Iowa. Bag amounts have never been discussed with PSU, Michigan, Ohio State, or Oklahoma State transfers.
Exactly, not to mention "they" must know what they go to those schools for because "they" know it is less than what Iowa offered. I'm betting they don't know shit or it isn't less. Take your pick.

All parties? Not sure Nickerson and co. are super jazzed, lol.

FWIW, I'll root for him if he actually ends up at Iowa, but all the constant transferring does hurt my enjoyment of the sport. It's definitely the free market approach, but as a fan, I preferred the old way where transfers were far less common and you built fan relationships with wrestlers over four and five years. I understand we're not in that time any longer, and this is necessary to compete, but doesn't mean I have to like it!
The veteran portals are a downer for the parity on the smaller school end of the scale, but they generally are not putting teams over the top, either. Penn State made waves by getting Nagao and Truax last year, but they were 2 of the 3 lowest scorers on the team (along with Davis, who wasn't even supposed to be a starter, possibly ever much less last year as a true frosh), and they still would have easily won nationals without them. Michigan turns over half their roster every year with grad transfers, but where has that gotten them?

Transfers like Kerk and Mesenbrink who move before they ever even compete, I don't mind. That just says they are admitting a mistake in the recruiting process and correcting it. I really don't mind grad transfers for the last year of eligibility too much, either. In this case. Northern Colorado got four years and an undefeated national championship out of Alirez while he earned his undergrad, so he actually did fulfill his commitment to the school, then he took a legitimate ORS to actually train for the Olympic trials, and now he wants to go somewhere else for his post-grad education. I didn't think he would move, but it makes sense on a lot of levels, too, especially if he uses it to get a masters in his area of choice.

As for where he lands, I wouldn't rule out Michigan yet. They are trying to redshirt Lemley this year, and only have Cannon coming back from injury above him. Alirez would be a significant one-year upgrade over Cannon, who is already a mercenary and not a homegrown recruit. Alirez fits Michigan's MO to a tee.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
So is he still planning on 197? Is Glaizer thinking of going down to 184? Is brands coming back? 74/84?
He's obviously back training in Iowa, but he's still a long way from being a member of the wrestling team. I think you'd want to keep Kueter away from them as much as possible. LOL.

Reactions: MilleGinja
All parties? Not sure Nickerson and co. are super jazzed, lol.

FWIW, I'll root for him if he actually ends up at Iowa, but all the constant transferring does hurt my enjoyment of the sport. It's definitely the free market approach, but as a fan, I preferred the old way where transfers were far less common and you built fan relationships with wrestlers over four and five years. I understand we're not in that time any longer, and this is necessary to compete, but doesn't mean I have to like it!
I dont disagree with you, but Im sure Nickerson understands the situation fully and shoulld want what is best for Aleriz although im sure he does not love tge fact that he is moving on… unless Nickerson is moving in himself???
Iowa and the HWC is a great fit for Aleriz
moving forward, IMO.

Would Alirez have 1 or 2 years left? I would think at least two?
One. He competed full time in 2020, 2022, and 2023, all of which are counting years. He was injured during 2021, but I don't think he can apply for a medical RS because that was a free year anyway.

Reactions: BGon4ND
don’t fall for the mineo bs. he does this to make Iowa look bad, it’s more than just an automatic iowa thing. there are other suitors.
Right, this is Mineo’s game- anything to make Iowa look bad. He makes sure to get out in front of any story that might even have ties to Iowa.

If Iowa lands him, they “tampered” or “offered him an insane ‘bag’”.

If Iowa doesn’t land him, Iowa couldn’t even land him with the insane offer.

Right, this is Mineo’s game- anything to make Iowa look bad. He makes sure to get out in front of any story that might even have ties to Iowa.

If Iowa lands him, they “tampered” or “offered him an insane ‘bag’”.

If Iowa doesn’t land him, Iowa couldn’t even land him with the insane offer.
Who cares about that idiot! Screw him and his followers

Yeah, Nagao and Truax caused a stir, especially with the reports of big offers for both from Iowa that they both rejected (who knows if true, but that was the word on the street at the time anyway), but Mesenbrink was completely under the radar, except for one or two guys on the PSU board who were on it immediately and said he was going to be the best of the three by far. The twitter buzz was almost exclusively around Nagao and Truax, though.
Thanks

Last seen grumbling about the portal/nil on Twitter if that's any sign.
He's has some weird thoughts lately. Thought future rules should be changed to allow the #34 guy to wrestle 174 because CStar didn't earn it at B1Gs on the mat. Never said anything about Manning baiting the crowd at OTT. Now hates NIL. If it wasn't for NIL, Willie would be in wrestling hibernation today. Once upon a time, this was dead season, so he should be cheering it on. More clicks for his site.

He's has some weird thoughts lately. Thought future rules should be changed to allow the #34 guy to wrestle 174 because CStar didn't earn it at B1Gs on the mat. Never said anything about Manning baiting the crowd at OTT. Now hates NIL. If it wasn't for NIL, Willie would be in wrestling hibernation today. Once upon a time, this was dead season, so he should be cheering it on. More clicks for his site.
Manning baiting the crowd??? Don't try to make what those POS PSY fans did at OTT JB or mannings fault. The rest is correct though.

Manning baiting the crowd??? Don't try to make what those POS PSY fans did at OTT JB or mannings fault. The rest is correct though.
Manning did bait the crowd. I'm not saying the booing was good behavior because I don't believe in that stuff, but Manning did JB no favors.

Reactions: Hawkgma
Wrestling is lucky for now because it's smaller so until there is some semblance of sanity I think it'll do ok. But basketball and football are going to have issues sooner than later. that's when some fix or rules will be put into place.

As much as a segment of PSU loved their wrestling, football is the big sport for most and I can see the frustration with this problem already. Anyone out of the top ten is going to get pretty salty rather soon.

Look with pro sports? It's not as wide open there as in college.
I get the part you are referring to in that Football and Basketball are much larger and the money is WAAAY more. However, the size of wrestling allows everyone to know each other more and some very shady, 100% rule breaking things are absolutely happening behind the scenes.

1.) There is NOT supposed to be ANY outside contact prior to the athletes going into the Portal. So many of these instances scream that they have already spoken with the programs they end up at way before even entering the portal.

2.) Money isn't supposed to even be ANY part of the discussion prior to the signing with the new school.

With how well wrestling seems to be able to keeps secrets, so many of these things seem to be happening behind the scenes and you are seeing so many elites transfer that NEVER would have before NIL. Without reasonable regulations that are strictly enforced, you are going to have constant, unbridled CHAOS....

I get the part you are referring to in that Football and Basketball are much larger and the money is WAAAY more. However, the size of wrestling allows everyone to know each other more and some very shady, 100% rule breaking things are absolutely happening behind the scenes.

1.) There is NOT supposed to be ANY outside contact prior to the athletes going into the Portal. So many of these instances scream that they have already spoken with the programs they end up at way before even entering the portal.

2.) Money isn't supposed to even be ANY part of the discussion prior to the signing with the new school.

With how well wrestling seems to be able to keeps secrets, so many of these things seem to be happening behind the scenes and you are seeing so many elites transfer that NEVER would have before NIL. Without reasonable regulations that are strictly enforced, you are going to have constant, unbridled CHAOS....
Athletes can contact each other.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT