ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

I'd put a rope around my neck and jump out of the hay loft if you were my daddy...
Son,

We don't talk like that in this family. Apologize to your mother immediately. She pushed that bowling ball of a meat stick you call a head out. 11 hours of labor so you could lick Tom's boot. She'll always love you, but i'm disappointed.

Love,
Your Daddy.

So, I'd have to relay something like, "Hey Tom, some dude who claims he wrestled at Iowa under you and posts on the Hawkeye Report thinks you have been running the program into the ground for the past 14 years. He doesn't want to get you fired, but he wants you to get fired." Does that sound about right?
Sure. You’re the one who thinks it’ll help the program to directly relay my thoughts. You figure it out.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
Son,

We don't talk like that in this family. Apologize to your mother immediately. She pushed that bowling ball of a meat stick you call a head out. 11 hours of labor so you could lick Tom's boot. She'll always love you, but i'm disappointed.

Love,
Your Daddy.
Pretty much an insult to both my parents.
You want to take shots at me go ahead, but you pretty much hit total chicken shit with this one.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
Paid haters?
Unnamed would be wrestling media types allegedly being paid by some competing university(ies) or their rich alumni to spew Iowa hate on various wrestling boards.

Never heard who was to have been allegedly involved. Tom didn't finger any party to my knowledge.

Did catch wind of unfounded rumors of @PatMineo22, @smalls103, and Justin Basch. Similarly believe I read PSU bandied about as the source of funds.

I never gave the idea much credibility. Then @johnstownsteel stepped out of the shadows to openly claim himself a 'Paid Iowa Hater.' He may even have had a T-shirt made.

Reactions: el dub
Pretty much an insult to both my parents.
You want to take shots at me go ahead, but you pretty much hit total chicken shit with this one.
Son,

I'm not quite sure your mother would approve of your language, but I guess we both knew you were none too good with words since you put Tom's boot in your mouth. Please come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas so we can get that taste out the back of your throat for a day or 2.

Love,
Your Daddy.

I am a big Brands fan and give him way more credit than most seem to on here. I also see why there is a lot of frustration. Here's how I've simplified my thoughts:

Tom's top priority has to be Forest and Bo. If PSU lands both, then Iowa's ceiling is second place for about the next decade. If Tom can land one or both then we'd have a punchers chance to get back or be the favorites for a while.

So, in the current state of Iowa wrestling, will we land one or both? No.
Will Tom do what needs to be done to get those two. That means bring in people they want to train with (ex: David Taylor and Spencer Lee). If Tom isn't willing to make changes in his staff that would help land those two, then the change has to be Tom.

Unnamed would be wrestling media types allegedly being paid by some competing university(ies) or their rich alumni to spew Iowa hate on various wrestling boards.

Never heard who was to have been allegedly involved. Tom didn't finger any party to my knowledge.

Did catch wind of unfounded rumors of @PatMineo22, @smalls103, and Justin Basch. Similarly believe I read PSU bandied about as the source of funds.

I never gave the idea much credibility. Then @johnstownsteel stepped out of the shadows to openly claim himself a 'Paid Iowa Hater.' He may even have had a T-shirt made.
that was so embarrassing when that shit was being said. It's bad enough when everyone says PSU is only better because of their billionaire but when the fans (or coach) was pushing that narrative that other schools (PSU) pay media outlets to bash Iowa the embarrassment level was at a new high...

Son,

I'm not quite sure your mother would approve of your language, but I guess we both knew you were none too good with words since you put Tom's boot in your mouth. Please come home for Thanksgiving and Christmas so we can get that taste out the back of your throat for a day or 2.

Love,
Your Daddy.
My father passed away less than a year ago.
You, el dub and Marky Mark can go F yourselves.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
Back to the original topic, the portal......... Anyone know if we are in on anyone for 133? To me that is the biggest hole along with 184 for 1 more year..... That is based on thinking Block will make 141....
Not doubting you, but is Iowa really hitching their wagon to Block @141?
A guy with no track record coming off of injury?
That's bold.

I am a big Brands fan and give him way more credit than most seem to on here. I also see why there is a lot of frustration. Here's how I've simplified my thoughts:

Tom's top priority has to be Forest and Bo. If PSU lands both, then Iowa's ceiling is second place for about the next decade. If Tom can land one or both then we'd have a punchers chance to get back or be the favorites for a while.

So, in the current state of Iowa wrestling, will we land one or both? No.
Will Tom do what needs to be done to get those two. That means bring in people they want to train with (ex: David Taylor and Spencer Lee). If Tom isn't willing to make changes in his staff that would help land those two, then the change has to be Tom.
I’m a Brands fan as well. But the program is bigger than the coach or athlete.

I want him replaced as a coach because I don't think he's the right man for the job (proven over the past 14 years). I respect him as a person, as he possesses qualities that are worthy of respect. I'm not going to his boss to get him fired because I wouldn't do that to anybody. I respect myself enough not to do that. What is so difficult to understand about that? Are you incapable of nuance?
Everyone else gets it.

My father passed away less than a year ago.
You, el dub and Marky Mark can go F yourselves.
ron burgundy GIF

What? You too shy to ask for more cards?

Btw, claiming victim hood is so……. 2020.

Why would anyone expect change to staff?
That’s inconceivable.

I’m more interested in results. How can that be so difficult to grasp?
how do you manage to get everything wrong????
The real problem is talent, but I think it is picking and getting the right horse. Go to the horse track and there are 3-4 horses all at less than 4-1 odds. Any could win the race. Cael picks that winner better than TnT do at this time. Knowing who to pick and who not to is just as important. Who has a skill set that truly translates to the college game? If you are grinding them out in high school, good defense, counter wrestler ... just because you won it all in HS .... don't expect that will hold up as well in college. Do you have some length? Can your game still be developed? These are all questions that it feels to me that Cael does better than TnT
Again AGAIN!!!! NO the great Krailure is NOT repeat is NOT better at "picking the winner!!!! What he was better at, IF you want to give him credit!?!?!? Was skating the rules with FatMoneyMans slush fund!!! That was what started it, alone with bring in several wrestlers from Iowa st, including a criminal to win!!!

SOOOOOOO IF you want TnT to go????? Then you had better be bring in someone who can also get away with, find $$$$$, make offers to ALL top kids!!!!!

how do you manage to get everything wrong????

Again AGAIN!!!! NO the great Krailure is NOT repeat is NOT better at "picking the winner!!!! What he was better at, IF you want to give him credit!?!?!? Was skating the rules with FatMoneyMans slush fund!!! That was what started it, alone with bring in several wrestlers from Iowa st, including a criminal to win!!!

SOOOOOOO IF you want TnT to go????? Then you had better be bring in someone who can also get away with, find $$$$$, make offers to ALL top kids!!!!!
Victimhood doesn’t suit you, bruh.

Reactions: vhsalum
Kind of hard not to take that one personally
Respectfully, you're taking it too personally. I lost both my parents and my wife in a 13 month period. It was a joke, and a funny one at that. If someone had posted that to me, I would have laughed. It wasn't personal at all but I understand your sensitivity. Just give it a pass.

And sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was a real body blow, and we all deal with that stuff differently.

Last edited:
Early reviews seem to show an uptick of recruits (and possibles) and buzz at OSU after CScott’s return as associate HC and heir apparent. While TB’s spot as “second-best team results coach in the Cael/PSU era” is undisputed, it’s not farfetched to believe a new, younger, known-to-recruits assistant might hasten Iowa’s resurgence.
I think @wahlberg and @T8KUDWN are more frustrated than at odds with each other. Both want Hawks to improve. Both struggle to find the best way to slow the juggernaut. Maybe OSU’s path is a solid first step, combining old (keeping Brands) with new (rising star assistant) while focusing all guns on recruiting.
A little Spencer success on the Oly front wouldn’t hurt either.

Back to the original topic, the portal......... Anyone know if we are in on anyone for 133? To me that is the biggest hole along with 184 for 1 more year..... That is based on thinking Block will make 141....
Surely the kid from Lehigh is an upgrade over what is currently in the room.

Reactions: vhsalum
Respectfully, you're taking it too personally. I lost both my parents and my wife in a 13 month period. It was a joke, and a funny one at that. If someone had posted that to me, I would have laughed. It wasn't personal at all.

And sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was a real body blow, and we all deal with that stuff differently.
It's been hard, way harder than I ever imagined. Guess you don't know until you actually go through it. And now I think about and remember all the things he went through at this time a year ago leading up to the day he passed away. He was as tough as they get and I always thought he'd make it through, but I was wrong.
I will admit it was kind of cool when my mom got ahold of me a few weeks ago and told me she found a couple of his recruiting letters from Coach Patten at UNI and Coach Nichols at isu. It had been a long time since I had seen those. I knew he had them tucked away somewhere and was glad she found them.

It's been hard, way harder than I ever imagined. Guess you don't know until you actually go through it. And now I think about and remember all the things he went through at this time a year ago leading up to the day he passed away. He was as tough as they get and I always thought he'd make it through, but I was wrong.
I will admit it was kind of cool when my mom got ahold of me a few weeks ago and told me she found a couple of his recruiting letters from Coach Patten at UNI and Coach Nichols at isu. It had been a long time since I had seen those. I knew he had them tucked away somewhere and was glad she found them.
Seriously, condolences. Haven't been through that, and don't know how I'll handle it when it happens.

I get it. My wife was the 3rd in the grouping and that one kicked the ever loving shit out of me. But time heals the heartache and all you are left with is the love and the good memories. Trust me on that. Talking about it helps too!

I'm glad you are getting into the remembrance stage. That's a good healing sign my friend.

OFF TOPIC

We are about halfway through the portal window.

It's starting to feel like there will be slim pickings this year.
i agree it doesn’t seem like the needs we have align with what’s in the portal. there is still time for new people to enter but i have said i will be surprised if there are any portal additions of significance and i stand by that.

Not doubting you, but is Iowa really hitching their wagon to Block @141?
A guy with no track record coming off of injury?
That's bold.

you think we should bring in a transfer over a freshman top 20 recruit before they even have a chance to win the spot? i disagree strongly and don’t care what wsr’s track record is.

Reactions: jack66
I get it. My wife was the 3rd in the grouping and that one kicked the ever loving shit out of me. But time heals the heartache and all you are left with is the love and the good memories. Trust me on that. Talking about it helps too!

I'm glad you are getting into the remembrance stage. That's a good healing sign my friend.
That would have been hard, real hard, going through that.

Talking about it is still the hard part.
I can't believe I talked it about it here.
God works in mysterious ways sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT