ADVERTISEMENT

*******OFFICIAL SEASON 8 EPISODE 3 GAME OF THRONES THREAD*******

Was expecting at least a fight between Jon and the Night King. A lot of build up in the series between the two for them to never actually fight. Thought this might be Jon's redemption episode also. Series has displayed him as a very poor military tactician and once again showed him and Daenerys as terrible tactitions. Night King treats Jon as his play thing. Bran warging around doing nothing most of the episode was odd. Good episode, don't mind Arya killing the Night King. Big fan of Jon but dude just never seems to get past the hype. Maybe Martin if he ever finishes his books will put the Jon Snow storyline together better. Hard to think that I have gotten married and have had two kids since his last book was published. Dude is dirt slow.

Was expecting at least a fight between Jon and the Night King. A lot of build up in the series between the two for them to never actually fight. Thought this might be Jon's redemption episode also. Series has displayed him as a very poor military tactician and once again showed him and Daenerys as terrible tactitions. Night King treats Jon as his play thing. Bran warging around doing nothing most of the episode was odd. Good episode, don't mind Arya killing the Night King. Big fan of Jon but dude just never seems to get past the hype. Maybe Martin if he ever finishes his books will put the Jon Snow storyline together better. Hard to think that I have gotten married and have had two kids since his last book was published. Dude is dirt slow.
If the night king really is dead and has not warged into another white walker like the 3er did with bran, was the whole prince that was promised thing wrong?

If that’s true, can you imagine how many people actually watched the show worldwide vs the official numbers?
One of my friends is on vacation in Cartegena, Colombia right now. She posted a video on FB last night of her w/about 50 people watching it at a restaurant. Maybe it was a South American thing?

I need to watch again. It certainly had some great moments. But I have to say it also seemed a bit dragged out and very predictable. And so far this season overall has been oddly way too linear and predictable I would say. The series is based on geographical scene changing and shock. There has been little of either.
Perhaps it’s sour grapes that the season did not go the way I and others thought, with a big twist such as another front opened on Kings Landing the same time.

Probably my biggest critique is basically wasting John and Daenerys so far this season. They are the two biggest story arcs of the story from the opening chapters, both followingcoming to age rags to riches stories of empowerment and being anointed rulers. This should have been their shining penultimate moment of sacrifice and leadership and instead they spent much of their time trying to see who could kill their dragon first and having to have their asses saved. The whole dragon thing basically took John Snow from leading the battle, where he should have been. And both did nothing to win the battle other than roasting some walkers.
Seems just an odd thing to do. This should have been their moment.

I am glad the episode had closure, I was sure they were getting ready to end it right after he raised their fallen commarades to fight for him and we would have to wait another week. When he raised the dead, you knew he had to die and take them all down, as planned or there was no hope. And Arya was the one hope. It still was awesome.

Last edited:
Two random moments:

1. When Melisandre lit all the Dothraki sickles on fire - that was a super cool visual. I was pumped.

2. When the zobmie giant came through the gate at Winterfell - that was particularly discouraging. Up until that point, I had forgotten there were giants in the Night King's army. Then, when the battle was already like 100-0, in comes Michael Jordan off the bench.

Last edited:
I agree somewhat with Joker. I thought it was a very anticlimactic ending to the whole Night King story line. But I think think the writing of the show has gone downhill since they passed GRRM in the books.
I agree somewhat with the Night King ending but....

It sets up the final Cersai showdown...Danny/John ending.

Danny basically has no army left. Dothraki annihilated and the unsullied decimated. How does she enforce her claim on the throne? John doesn't have much left either....I'm thinking Sansa still has a large portion of the nights of the Vale left.

It'll be interesting from here on out....lots of back stabbing.

Reactions: NoleATL
I thought Arya gave the dagger to Sansa? What did she give to Sansa before she headed to the crypt?
It was the Valyrian steel dagger that Arya stabbed the NK with, right? That was a nice touch that she killed the NK with the dagger that was meant to kill Bran originally.
Dragon glass dagger I believe.

Reactions: Tom Paris
My only issue with the episode was the battle tactics were awful. I mean, Daenerys might have just as well told the Dothraki to slit their own throats. What a waste.
Yeah, a cavalry charge at night is bad under any circumstances. Charging into a dead army at night is even worse....

Reactions: Tom Paris
Tough crowd. I loved the episode. The target was always the NK, in hopes of killing off the dead. When the Dothraki were simultaneously wiped out I think Jon and Dany knew they woefully under estimated the sheer numbers of the dead. This caused them to go to plan B and seek the NK out, via dragons and it almost worked.

I feel left out. Is this something I can start watching now or do I have to start from the beginning?
You need to watch from the beginning. Several children literally grow up into adults over the course of 10 years of shooting. Most of them end up being crucial to the story and one of them crucial to killing the night king, which is the "bad guy" threatening all of humanity.

I agree somewhat with the Night King ending but....

It sets up the final Cersai showdown...Danny/John ending.

Danny basically has no army left. Dothraki annihilated and the unsullied decimated. How does she enforce her claim on the throne? John doesn't have much left either....I'm thinking Sansa still has a large portion of the nights of the Vale left.

It'll be interesting from here on out....lots of back stabbing.
I have mixed feelings on this episode. It feels like there is a lot more to explain regarding the night King. I thought Bran was going to trap him in the Weirwood network or something like that. It seemed to me that they almost had to resolve this now. I just can't think of an effective retreat from this battle.
In general I've preferred the less fantasy driven elements of the story. I would argue the less magical bits are the strongest parts. So in a way I think it's good to have eliminated the Night King.

Still would like to know what happened to all those babies the Night King turned....
It was my understanding they grew up to be white walkers. But they would all appear to be turned to crushed ice now. My biggest question is how Arya killing the Night King relates to the prince that was promised prophecy.

So what happened to Tormund? I don't think I saw him die, but I didn't see him after the battle either. Did I just miss him? Really hope he's not dead.

So what magical powers did Arya gain now, after offing the Night King?

Is she still gonna 'off' everyone else at the end to take the Iron Throne, and then it'll be revealed they she and Baratheon's Bastard have the next heir coming?

Fantastic episode. I do get why some are disappointed that Jon and the Night King didn't have a battle. I also get those that are disappointed the Night King and the dead are well, dead, now and not saved for later considering this was the real battle. The show is a Game of Thrones, but the battle vs the dead was more important. I'm fine with that all. Theon and Jorah went out like champs. Bran had a nice moment with Theon. Jorah died saving Dany, what he always wanted. Both dragons are alive. Ghost is probably dead. I think the show should throw away the Brienne/Jaime possible love. Jaime could get any woman he wanted. Tormund needs to beat those guts up in the next episode. Maybe Jaime gives his blessing before Brienne enters Pound Town. Overall, excellent episode. But I do wish Jon was more of a hero than what he was. Jon has been fighting this war much longer than Arya. But maybe it was someone as stealthy as Arya that made it possible to kill the Night King.

Edit: Ghost is in the preview for next week.

Last edited:
There were some very cool moments in that battle, of course culminating with Arya killing the night king. But overall, not up to their standards, and perhaps suffering in comparison with just seeing Endgame.

The battle just didn't have that coherent a story to tell overall...a lot of it was too dark, most of the characters outside Arya didn't have much of an arc, too much A to B that you didn't get to see. Was not a fan of Arya going Jurrassic Park in the middle of it with no apparent point.

It just didn't have an in-battle narrative up to the level of previous GOT battles. There was no real twists and turns, the tides turning, emotional journey stuff. It was just "get your ass kicked, get your ass kicked some more, then get your ass kicked even more...oh and now here's Arya to end it, don't worry how she got there or anything, nothing you've seen really matters to how the battle ends, Arya was just there when she needed to be." And don't worry, nobody that you cared much about died, so this battled that's loomed all these years was really not something worth agonizing about.

Again, on the scope of TV overall, it was impressive, and had cool moments...Theon's last stand and Mellisandre starting the fire most notably. But not up to the level of GOT battles, or great cinematic battle scenes.

It wasn't bad, or disappointing or anything, it just wasn't all that great, and I kind of feel like all the build up of the White Walkers all these years, it would have been nice to get something great. While you can never quite payoff the years and years of setup in a single battle, I thought Endgame did as well as could be done, and was a solid A, with this being more like a C+ or B-.

Fantastic episode. I do get why some are disappointed that Jon and the Night King didn't have a battle. I also get those that are disappointed the Night King and the dead are well, dead, now and not saved for later considering this was the real battle. The show is a Game of Thrones, but the battle vs the dead was more important. I'm fine with that all. Theon and Jorah went out like champs. Bran had a nice moment with Theon. Jorah died saving Dany, what he always wanted. Both dragons are alive. Ghost is probably dead. I think the show should throw away the Brienne/Jaime possible love. Jaime could get any woman he wanted. Tormund needs to beat those guts up in the next episode. Maybe Jaime gives his blessing before Brienne enters Pound Town. Overall, excellent episode. But I do wish Jon was more of a hero than what he was. Jon has been fighting this war much longer than Arya. But maybe it was someone as stealthy as Arya that made it possible to kill the Night King.

Edit: Ghost is in the preview for next week.
Ghost is alive. He was in a screenshot somebody took from the previews for next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT