ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St sends 4 coaches to Minneapolis to watch DJ Carton; Fran & Beilein there, too

Reactions: Franisdaman
Interesting to hear that Mizzou and Illinois seem to be backing off. From Matt's Day 2 story:

"Two things I've noticed so far: No presence from Missouri or Illinois at Carton's games. I'm hearing the Tigers are backing off. And Carton told me he's had some contact with Illinois in the past couple weeks, but it doesn't sound like the Illini are prioritizing him like Iowa, Iowa State and the rest of the schools here in Minnesota"
Not sure if this is a recent development or not, but TOS has DJ listed as "Warm" on Iowa, Indiana, OSU, Marquette, Michigan and Wisconsin. Cool on others. FWIW.

OSU is definitely trying to make a big statement. Tom has said they're a team to watch out for in the DJ sweepstakes.

It’s one thing for him to shun the Hawks for an elite bball program like Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, etc...but not for a fball school!

I guess it would at least be better than connie.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Could DJ be a one&done type of player?

Anything is possible. We have 2 players trying out for NBA teams this summer. Although we expect them both to be back next year....the point is that if DJ is that good, he'll get a shot at the NBA after his freshman season

With the players we have on this team, DJ will rack up a ton of assists. He will also be able to showcase his abilities to take it to the hole. Our spacing should be pretty darn good for the next several years. DJ will have more than enough chances to show what he has to the country....if he becomes a Hawkeye.... Which is sure hope becomes a reality!

With the success that Michigan has had, especially in the NCAA's, I'd be concerned about Beilein.

Sure. Michigan offers things that Iowa doesn't, particularly with recent tournament success. BUT, Iowa offers things other schools don't have, either. Proximity to home, friends on the team, a chance to rep his home state, immediate playing time, etc. Recent NCAA success is a factor for DJ, but it's absolutely not the only factor.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69

Anything is possible. We have 2 players trying out for NBA teams this summer. Although we expect them both to be back next year....the point is that if DJ is that good, he'll get a shot at the NBA after his freshman season

With the players we have on this team, DJ will rack up a ton of assists. He will also be able to showcase his abilities to take it to the hole. Our spacing should be pretty darn good for the next several years. DJ will have more than enough chances to show what he has to the B1G & the country....if he becomes a Hawkeye.... Which I sure hope becomes a reality!

Ok.I have to ask. Bettendorf, usually has good teams. What was their record this last season, and standing in the MAC ?
Were they down compared to other years, like when they made state?

Does it strike anyone as ironic that all these better teams with highly rated guards already on the roster / committed are still pursuing Carton? Meanwhile we hear that because Bohannon and Connor are here, Fran "hasn't been able to land another guard" or that "other guards don't want to come here and compete for PT". Connor needs to contribute at a reasonably high level and this has 0 to do with being Fran's kid and everything to do with the needs of the team.

If indeed Fran is going to bank the extra scholarship, there better be some tangible development among returning players (Baer, Pemsl, Moss, Dailey, and Kriener). Not much more you can ask of Bohannon, Cook, and Garza (if Cook returns).

Reactions: HemiHawk
Ultimately, IMHO, kids want to play for a winner. Proximity can work for and against a program, depending on whether a kid has a desire to stay close to home or venture away. At the end of the day, though, kids want to play for a winner. That's what matters.

The best thing Fran can do to increase his odds with DJ or any prospect is to win. Since it sounds like he wants to decide by the end of the summer it's likely DJ will go out of state. Unless he has that great of a relationship with Weiskamp and PMac, I don't see him committing to Iowa. Either that, or Fran convinces him Iowa is going to win big soon and that he won't have to worry about being second fiddle to the coach's son (Connor). That's a huge obstacle too.

Yeah, I just don't see DJ committing to Iowa. If he does, kudos to Fran.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Yeah, I hope he does too and I also agree that kids want to play for a winner, so keep an eye on Beilein. He has a winner and their resume' just keeps getting better. Just a feeling.

At Iowa, Fran is 6-7 vs Beilein overall. That includes (0-2) in his first season and (0-3) last season.

No question Beilein seems like a great coach and even better person. There’s no denying his success, especially these last couple of seasons.

I’m just saying that FM has certainly held his own vs Beilein.

But “holding your own” in head to head competition can’t compare to a Final 4 vs. NO tourney. I’d love him to be a hawk, but expect he’ll want to play for a conference/National contender.

Does it strike anyone as ironic that all these better teams with highly rated guards already on the roster / committed are still pursuing Carton? Meanwhile we hear that because Bohannon and Connor are here, Fran "hasn't been able to land another guard" or that "other guards don't want to come here and compete for PT". Connor needs to contribute at a reasonably high level and this has 0 to do with being Fran's kid and everything to do with the needs of the team.

If indeed Fran is going to bank the extra scholarship, there better be some tangible development among returning players (Baer, Pemsl, Moss, Dailey, and Kriener). Not much more you can ask of Bohannon, Cook, and Garza (if Cook returns).

We mostly hear that from people that want to complain about Fran, not as an excuse and its nonsense IMO. No top player should be worried about that.

As for asking more from JBO Cook and Garza, I can promise you most coaches would ask them to learn how to play defense in a manner that prevents the team from getting blown out every other game.

But “holding your own” in head to head competition can’t compare to a Final 4 vs. NO tourney. I’d love him to be a hawk, but expect he’ll want to play for a conference/National contender.

No, certainly not. No more than you can compare Iowa’s success to Michigan’s.

With that said, there’s been years with “no tourney” for John Beilein as well.

Ultimately, IMHO, kids want to play for a winner. Proximity can work for and against a program, depending on whether a kid has a desire to stay close to home or venture away. At the end of the day, though, kids want to play for a winner. That's what matters.

The best thing Fran can do to increase his odds with DJ or any prospect is to win. Since it sounds like he wants to decide by the end of the summer it's likely DJ will go out of state. Unless he has that great of a relationship with Weiskamp and PMac, I don't see him committing to Iowa. Either that, or Fran convinces him Iowa is going to win big soon and that he won't have to worry about being second fiddle to the coach's son (Connor). That's a huge obstacle too.

Yeah, I just don't see DJ committing to Iowa. If he does, kudos to Fran.

I'd say that you've left every possible option open in this post....

Ohio State has FOUR coaches? I'm sure DJ is impressed.
Dumb question, I'm sure someone will say, but how do we know all these schools that send coaches are looking just at Carton? Bain, the reporter, named many coaches and implied they were all there for Carton. Are the other players hamburger? You all would know who the other players are.

Dumb question, I'm sure someone will say, but how do we know all these schools that send coaches are looking just at Carton? Bain, the reporter, named many coaches and implied they were all there for Carton. Are the other players hamburger? You all would know who the other players are.

They are not hamburger. They are chopped liver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT