ADVERTISEMENT

OK, my long promised PTL report.

one of things that drew Tyler Cook to Iowa was Fran's track record & commitment to help TC expand his game in areas necessary to have a shot at the NBA. Its way too early to judge *guess* if they will be successful.

I have no doubt that Cook will indeed become more than just a "dunker".

Reactions: And1Hawk
What's the prognosis on Pemsl?

All I know is that compared to the past, we have A LOT of guys at the 4 or 5 spot who can score with the ball. As others pointed out - Nunge may even have the skill set to play the 3. Cook, Pemsl, Kriener, Nunge, and Garza are all guys who can score or appear capable of being consistent scorers. Say what you will about Woody - but his game on O never seemed to develop like most fans would have hoped.

As guys continue to learn how to play better D ... all that length will translate well to contesting shots and the like.

Reactions: DanL53
No, people were saying that after PTL last year

...shoot we all are wrong sometimes...doesnt matter.. I dont predict the NBA stuff cause what the heck do I know. I hope Tyler Cook is a 4 year Hawkeye....but for sure Tyler Cook as a freshman will not be the Cook as a senior...and in between.

People were also saying good things about JBo after PTL last year...and some of them were taken to task. Course those people posting JBo was nothing more than a fall back have disappeared.:p

Last edited:
Talked to a PTL coach last night and he says Garza likely out for PTL game tonight due to a quad injury. Hasn't practiced this week and trying to get him healthy for Europe trip. Hopefully not a nagging issue

Talked to a PTL coach last night and he says Garza likely out for PTL game tonight due to a quad injury. Hasn't practiced this week and trying to get him healthy for Europe trip. Hopefully not a nagging issue

Yes got hurt in PTL game last sunday (played thru it after walking it off) ...dont know if this is the same injury.

Yes got hurt in PTL game last sunday (played thru it after walking it off) ...dont know if this is the same injury.
What was it you were saying about PTL injuries. As I recall, Jok had an injury last summer that eventually caught up with him for a couple games in the B1G season.

While I'd agree Cook has a lot of work to do, to climb into the 1st round over the next several years, I'm not sure he's the most talented player Iowa's had in years. Now Cook is very powerful and athletic, but I'd say that Utoff was more talented when comes to over all basketball skill.
A little less stoic and a bit more swagger and I feel Jared would be playing more in the NBA. Europe might be better for him honestly. He's better than a lot of guys you see sticking,

What was it you were saying about PTL injuries. As I recall, Jok had an injury last summer that eventually caught up with him for a couple games in the B1G season.

PJ did get dinged up and it did linger...hope Kriener's back doesnt. I wasnt trying to knock the PTL but Kriener's injury didnt need to happen. And I'm not blaming Larsen...assuming he makes it clear what the standard of physical play in PTL games is.

I agree injuries happen in any setting. But there are differences in physical play from the PTL to preparation for B1G play.

A little less stoic and a bit more swagger and I feel Jared would be playing more in the NBA. Europe might be better for him honestly. He's better than a lot of guys you see sticking,
I agree with this. Uthoff often seems passive, and I think this sometimes keeps him from showing off his skill set.

PJ did get dinged up and it did linger...hope Kriener's back doesnt. I wasnt trying to knock the PTL but Kriener's injury didnt need to happen. And I'm not blaming Larsen...assuming he makes it clear what the standard of physical play in PTL games is.

I agree injuries happen in any setting. But there are differences in physical play from the PTL to preparation for B1G play.
Wasn't Jok's injury during his going through the NBA eval process? I thought he hurt a hand or wrist during one of his early workouts? I didn't think he played much in the PTL before last year with the NBA process and invites to camps.

Anytime you're playing competitively there is a chance for injury - the key is keeping the environment such that there aren't any malicious acts.

Wasn't Jok's injury during his going through the NBA eval process? I thought he hurt a hand or wrist during one of his early workouts? I didn't think he played much in the PTL before last year with the NBA process and invites to camps.

Anytime you're playing competitively there is a chance for injury - the key is keeping the environment such that there aren't any malicious acts.

This point has been incorrectly made several times.

Let's just #$%$^ing put it this way. We all know how the PTL isn't like a REAL game when it comes to evaluating players.

Well, it isn't, lately, anywhere close to a safe place to play either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT