ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, this class actually looks pretty great...

Far less communicable? And you think it's just going to disappear in a couple months?

Many reasons. Mostly the almost universal exaggeration of the risk promoted by the public health officials and then exaggerated into hyperdrive by western media.

The models are already showing an exaggerated risk, by a factor of hundreds of percentages. Cures and vaccines will be available by fall, or probably by summer. Most significantly I think most people will simply refuse to remain locked down and demand a reopening of social intercourse, including spectator sports.

Many reasons. Mostly the almost universal exaggeration of the risk promoted by the public health officials and then exaggerated into hyperdrive by western media.

The models are already showing an exaggerated risk, by a factor of hundreds of percentages. Cures and vaccines will be available by fall, or probably by summer. Most significantly I think most people will simply refuse to remain locked down and demand a reopening of social intercourse, including spectator sports.
There will not be a cure or vaccine before 2021.
I expect they will have figured out some things to ease the effects and some meds to knock it down a bit. Also a quickie test to see if you have already been exposed.
19 will be around for a while, likely fading into an also ran flu that may modify and pop up once in a while.

Does anyone actually watch what is happening on the defensive end of the court? CJF was arguably the team's best defender this season. Great feet. Great competitiveness. Great toughness. Great understanding and positioning.

Perkins does have the physical tools to become a really good defender. And there is reason to believe that he has the necessary mentality as well. But at this point Tony isn't in the same ballpark as CJ as a defender. And he won't be taking any minutes from that guy next season, period.

I'm excited about the potential that Perkins brings. Very happy to have him. He just doesn't have the experience and polish of CJ yet. Tony's time will come. But stop selling CJ short people. He won't be beat out for any minutes as long as he is at Iowa. Far too good and far too competitive. This guy is simply a baller and a winner

I especially like the guards coming in, because it gives Fran an assortment of players with different skills. We are bringing in guys who are winners and seem to play with more of an attitude than guards we had in the past. CJ and JoeT both showed that aggressive and tough attitude, and it sounds like Ulis and Perkins are the same. I see Ulis competing with Joe T for PG minutes, and Harper is clearly an off guard, and his minutes might depend on how JBo is used. I would not be surprised if one of the two redshirts.

I have less of a feel for what the twins will add to the team. They seem to have skills and length, but I am not sure how that will fit into Fran's rotation. Whether they can crack the regular rotation might largely depend on PMac's ability to go. Hopefully, some their dad's toughness and defensive prowess will come too. If it does, they could surprise.

Big O seems to have upside, with a big body and soft hands. He doesn't strike me as a big contributor his first year or two. Maybe he can start training with Luka, get into the same sort of shape, and learn some of Luka's moves. I hope he is only needed for spot minutes this fall.

Just hope we have college basketball this fall, because this team is more loaded than any team in the past couple of decades.
Who is Harper??

Reactions: unclesammy

far less communicable?? I think not. I’ve heard stories in Seattle of 13 people went to a party and all 13 came down with corona. It may not be quite as deadly as feared but it damn well seems quite transmissible.

Reactions: CaboKP
Far less communicable? And you think it's just going to disappear in a couple months?

Dr Dog is off here. Must have started drinking a little early... This coronavirus is the most communicable of all in history. At least since the invention of the printing press...

However it is nowhere near the CFR(kill rate) of SARS(from China) or MERS (from the Middle East).. But if COVID-19, with its ease of transmission, was even half of SARS, people would be shooting each other(in America, that is). If it were MERS with a CFR of 35%. With hospitals essentially shutdown, You'd find house after house down your street with dead people. It'd be worse than Armageddon with its slow and painful death.

Social distancing is working. Had the schools, bars and restaurants all remained open, there would be hundreds of deaths in Iowa already. With thousands to come. Especially with our Federal government's response... But people took action and the curve has flattened, or at least it's getting close.

Now it will(hhopefully) migrate to the southern hemisphere with the coming of summer, just like the 4 other coronaviruses and influenza that circle the globe yearly. That'll be soon, fingers crossed... But it'll be back in the Fall. Hopefully it's RNA does not mutate into something more deadly... And/or enough people caught The 19 to create some herd immunity.

That noted, why the heck aren't they playing golf or tennis!? The sports are played naturally with social distancing. Just get rid of the crowds, and roll the cameras. Heck I'd even watch Nascar right now!!!

I hate to toss cold water on this discussion, but I think we would be prudent to pump our brakes just a bit with this incoming group. I'm as excited about this class as the next guy (more than some), but if stars matter, and many on here would argue they do, we have a class of very good 3* rated players arriving this summer. All of them seem to have the ability to take it up a level and play in the Big 10, but the great thing is that they won't be required to, at least not for awhile. We are bring back a pretty loaded squad which has been highly ranked by the basketball pundits. This means, that our freshman won't have to be spear carriers for at least a season. I'm hoping that most will accept this and, unless McCaffery thinks they add a significant element which can't be ignored, they will take a redshirt and improve their games through practice sessions and workouts.

I hate to toss cold water on this discussion, but I think we would be prudent to pump our brakes just a bit with this incoming group. I'm as excited about this class as the next guy (more than some), but if stars matter, and many on here would argue they do, we have a class of very good 3* rated players arriving this summer. All of them seem to have the ability to take it up a level and play in the Big 10, but the great thing is that they won't be required to, at least not for awhile. We are bring back a pretty loaded squad which has been highly ranked by the basketball pundits. This means, that our freshman won't have to be spear carriers for at least a season. I'm hoping that most will accept this and, unless McCaffery thinks they add a significant element which can't be ignored, they will take a redshirt and improve their games through practice sessions and workouts.

:)

giphy.gif

Reactions: slipHawk and BBHawk
On March 1, there were 88 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the United States. By month’s end, there were more than 170,000. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has compiled data on people who were hospitalized from the virus during that month to get a clearer demographic picture of infected patients who have required the most serious medical care.

The study, released Wednesday, found that older people infected with the virus were more likely to be hospitalized; men were more likely to endure severe cases than women; and black people were hospitalized at a higher rate than whites. The study also found that hospitalization rates for Covid-19 have been significantly higher than for recent outbreaks of influenza.

Reactions: slipHawk
I agree with the OP. Maybe one day they will all start for Iowa together. Big O, Double Murrays, Saucy T and Ulis.

It’s not about ratings, it’s about their potential and Fran’s ability to develop their talents. No matter what anyone says, I think this class will be awesome.

Reactions: slipHawk
Uhlis is a 4 star guard. He’s pretty built already and can score from 3 levels. Joe T will have to play well to keep his spot in the rotation.

Uhlis is a 4 star guard. He’s pretty built already and can score from 3 levels. Joe T will have to play well to keep his spot in the rotation.
Joe T was a 4-star pg out of HS. Ahron Ulis is a 3-star, not a 4-star. Joe T has a year of playing pretty extensively at Iowa and understands what is expected. Ulis will not start over JT nor will he out-work him. Ulis will probably not see major minutes until his sophomore year, barring injury.

He has to worry most about Tony Perkins, arguably the best incoming Big 10 recruit
Based on what? He is unranked by Rivals. There are a dozen or more incoming recruits in the Big Ten ranked higher than Perkins. Illinois has three ranked higher including Andre Curbelo and Adam Miller, the top ranked incoming backcourt in the Big Ten.

Based on what? He is unranked by Rivals. There are a dozen or more incoming recruits in the Big Ten ranked higher than Perkins. Illinois has three ranked higher including Andre Curbelo and Adam Miller, the top ranked incoming backcourt in the Big Ten.

Rivals has a terrible ranking system. Those guys were all evaluated during their junior year. Tony Perkins had a better senior year than any of those guys and no one paid attention.

Glad to have a distinguished medical professional from the WHO/CDC posting here.

Nostradamus has been more accurate than the WHO/CDC.

• Unmodeled predictions-millions of American deaths.
  • Modeled predictions assuming more social distancing than currently practiced in the US-100,000 - 200,000 deaths. That's a 100% margin of error, not exactly specific in a statistical sense.
  • Current models, less than 60,000 deaths and that number declines daily.
  • Originally predicted hospitals would be overwhelmed but it turns out there has never been an actual threat to overwhelm any hospital anywhere in the US.
  • Original prediction of the need for ventilators overestimated by something like 800%.
As with many "expert" opinions foisted on the public the dire predictions about Chinese Covid were wildly wrong and exaggerated. Kind of like the global warming hysterics have assured us that the growing ice caps would melt by 1999, or 2004, or 2007, or 2012, or 2017, or …. five years from whenever the nincompoops are decrying the falling sky.

Stay in your lane brother. Long on snark but short on thought is not a very good look for you.

far less communicable?? I think not. I’ve heard stories in Seattle of 13 people went to a party and all 13 came down with corona. It may not be quite as deadly as feared but it damn well seems quite transmissible.

The macro data does not support your conclusion regarding communicability. Indeed, just today the state of Washington announced that one of the emergency field hospitals (in Seattle I think) set up is being disassembled after failing to host even 1 patient.

We will see who is right in time. I know it seems somehow impossible but I am sometimes mistaken about big events/trends; but not very often.
Does it looks like overall, things aren't getting a lot worse in most parts of the country, yes. Will things be "back to normal" any time soon, Hell No! Maybe we will ONLY have 60,000 die, not 100,000+, but only if we keep most measures in place for a couple more months. Good advice would be to ignore the president (on almost any issue, but especially this), and listen to the medical experts. Were you one of the morons who questioned cancelling the NCAA tournament too?

It is possible that there will be basketball in the fall, but not if we open things back up too early.

Reactions: perryhawk

• Modeled predictions assuming more social distancing than currently practiced in the US-100,000 - 200,000 deaths. That's a 100% margin of error, not exactly specific in a statistical sense.
  • Originally predicted hospitals would be overwhelmed but it turns out there has never been an actual threat to overwhelm any hospital anywhere in the US.
  • Original prediction of the need for ventilators overestimated by something like 800%.
As with many "expert" opinions foisted on the public the dire predictions about Chinese Covid were wildly wrong and exaggerated. Kind of like the global warming hysterics have assured us that the growing ice caps would melt by 1999, or 2004, or 2007, or 2012, or 2017, or …. five years from whenever the nincompoops are decrying the falling sky.

Stay in your lane brother. Long on snark but short on thought is not a very good look for you.

"Stay in your lane"?o_O That's precious. FYI, I suspect the task force chose the 100,000-200,000 projected deaths for two reasons: First, to scare the shit out of people, so they would do what the experts were advising. Second, Trump embraced the high predictions, hoping that he could come back and do a victory celebration that we beat the predictions because of his "strong leadership." Most projections were actually in the 80,000 death range, when the task force said 100k-200k. The US is still going to surpass all other countries in infected and deaths by a WIDE margin, which is definitely not something to be proud of, particularly when our leaders had a month or two more warning than some others.

You must not know a lot of people who work in emergency rooms in highly infected regions. I know a few. It is true that we didn't have to choose to let some die because of a shortage of ventilators, but it has been damn overwhelming. You need to step back and credit the front-line medical workers, many of whom have been heroic over the past month or so, often working with less than the best possible PPE.

Again, now is the time to listen to the experts, like Anthony Fauci, who has been an American hero for several decades.

Sorry Ronman but you are tossing cold water. First of all kids want to play right away now. My guess is 1 or 2 at the most redshirt. We return Luke, Joe W, CJ, Conor and Joe T as our starters. We lose our 6th man in Kreiner and Pemsl who also played a fair amount of minutes because we had no bench. We dont know how Nunge will do or how rusty he will be, Pat is still a total question mark and JoBo is coming off double hip surgery. So at this point our bench looks very questionable. We are optimistic about those 3, but if Pat doesn’t go that leaves us at 7 and 2 of them (Nunge and Bohannon) coming off injuries. Fran will play at least 9 guys maybe 10. I’m confident at least 2 of them get significant minutes. Possibly 3.

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Joe T was a 4-star pg out of HS. Ahron Ulis is a 3-star, not a 4-star. Joe T has a year of playing pretty extensively at Iowa and understands what is expected. Ulis will not start over JT nor will he out-work him. Ulis will probably not see major minutes until his sophomore year, barring injury.

I should have said; in my opinion he’s a four star guard

I think Toussaint is legit and will develop into a very high level big ten guard but if he can’t limit the turnovers, Uhlis, who might be a more consistent shooter could take his place. In my mind they are very different players but will compete for the same minutes. This isn’t a knock on Joe, I think Ahron is damn good. He’s filled out a lot in the last year

Reactions: BBHawk
"Stay in your lane"?o_O That's precious. FYI, I suspect the task force chose the 100,000-200,000 projected deaths for two reasons: First, to scare the shit out of people, so they would do what the experts were advising. Second, Trump embraced the high predictions, hoping that he could come back and do a victory celebration that we beat the predictions because of his "strong leadership." Most projections were actually in the 80,000 death range, when the task force said 100k-200k. The US is still going to surpass all other countries in infected and deaths by a WIDE margin, which is definitely not something to be proud of, particularly when our leaders had a month or two more warning than some others.

You must not know a lot of people who work in emergency rooms in highly infected regions. I know a few. It is true that we didn't have to choose to let some die because of a shortage of ventilators, but it has been damn overwhelming. You need to step back and credit the front-line medical workers, many of whom have been heroic over the past month or so, often working with less than the best possible PPE.

Again, now is the time to listen to the experts, like Anthony Fauci, who has been an American hero for several decades.

You are on pretty thin intellectual ice when you begin your argument, if the diatribe could be called an argument, with the proposition that the very persons whose advice we should heed are lying and exaggerating to frighten the population. That is kind of how a "moron" would argue a position.

I'm sorry that the actual facts do no support your hysterical anecdotal belief structure. Remain in dystopia, it seems to be a good fit for you.

YOU calling someone else snarky? That's rich.

Go ahead and plan your party for a month out. Of course, you are way smarter than anyone at the CDC. Let's throw in the NIH while you are at it. Fouci needs to be worried about his job with you around!

BTW, there are overwhelmed hospitals. You (and your ilk) just refuse to believe them when they say it is happening. We are still in the surge, not on the downturn. Don't be an idiot.

You are on pretty thin intellectual ice when you begin your argument, if the diatribe could be called an argument, with the proposition that the very persons whose advice we should heed are lying and exaggerating to frighten the population. That is kind of how a "moron" would argue a position.

I'm sorry that the actual facts do no support your hysterical anecdotal belief structure. Remain in dystopia, it seems to be a good fit for you.
What do you call someone who lies and exaggerates to downplay what is happening? DANGEROUS!

Go look at the reports of the mass graves being filled in NYC, and then keep telling everyone this is overblown I think you are really full of yourself, but sometimes your posts about Hawkeye basketball are pretty good. In this case, you have very little idea what you are talking about, and you would be smart to just shut up. This will be my last post to you on this thread. By the way, I do have Dr. in front of my name.

It depends in the service you use. Both have been ranked a 3 star and a 4 star by different sefvices.

I usually just check 247's composite ranking... That has Joe T at .876 and Ahron U at .906. That's 3 stars for both. But Ahron's is closer to a 4. For what it is worth...

If Joe T can develop a better, more consistent outside shot(maybe Frank G can help train him for a couple of weeks ) he'll be keeping his minutes. He is a good free throw shooter. So there is hope there.

Iowa could play with 3 or even 4 guard lineups in the future. Having 2 quality playmakers on the floor has worked, ie Connor and JT.

No reason JT, AU and Perkins can’t all play together.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
It depends in the service you use. Both have been ranked a 3 star and a 4 star by different sefvices.

I usually just check 247's composite ranking... That has Joe T at .876 and Ahron U at .906. That's 3 stars for both. But Ahron's is closer to a 4. For what it is worth...

If Joe T can develop a better, more consistent outside shot(maybe Frank G can help train him for a couple of weeks ) he'll be keeping his minutes. He is a good free throw shooter. So there is hope there.
ESPN had JT as a solid 4-star. No one has Ulis as a 4-star. That's why I said JT is a 4-star and Ulis isn't.

Composite scores are tricky that way - all it takes is one high or low score to screw it up. Apparently someone missed the boat on JT.

Reactions: skydog0784

I am pretty darn excited for this class. I believe that they are very underrated, and that history will show that. But you are right, we are pretty loaded going into next year. It would be fantastic for most of them to redshirt.

My bet would be that there is a good chance that 2-3 of them Redshirt, barring injury. We need them to, so Fran doesn't let his biggest coaching downfall get to him - playing too many guys. Fran feels they deserve the minutes.

Redshirting has its value. Just ask CMac and CJF. Plenty of others in the past as well. They will be closer to their physical peak, and playing at a higher level when they graduate too. That is just fact for 90% of basketball athletes. NBA and other professional players reach their top performance at age 27 on average.

That noted, I think we could use a Tony Perkins, if he is ready... His offensive game would add another dimension to the Hawks. BUT that is IF he can play Good defense. In his videos, he was quite lazy on defense. That was the biggest question mark that I noticed.

Go ahead and plan your party for a month out. Of course, you are way smarter than anyone at the CDC. Let's throw in the NIH while you are at it. Fouci needs to be worried about his job with you around!

BTW, there are overwhelmed hospitals. You (and your ilk) just refuse to believe them when they say it is happening. We are still in the surge, not on the downturn. Don't be an idiot.

1) I don't think I'm smarter than anyone at the CDC. I do, however, think I'm less politically influenced / handcuffed.

2) I have only seen hospitals which are way emptier than usual. And I have been to half a dozen.

1) I don't think I'm smarter than anyone at the CDC. I do, however, think I'm less politically influenced / handcuffed.

2) I have only seen hospitals which are way emptier than usual. And I have been to half a dozen.
Wow. Now we know that you have dissociative personality disorder...there is help for that, you know. That explains why you have been to so many different hospitals lately.

I can't believe the level of stupidity of some posters.

There are over 6000 hospitals in the US, and you form an opinion after being in 6 (if you aren't just lying through your teeth)? Iowa alone has over 140 hospitals. The biggest, the U of IA, has 811 beds but only 26 ICU beds. And I know they didn't let you in there to check things out. Nor could you have gone into ANY hospital area where someone was being treated for Covid-19.

And if you are less "politically handcuffed" than someone quoted at the CDC, congrats. That and $2 will get you a cup pf coffee at most places, but it doesn't mean squat here. Covid-19 doesn't really care about your political affiliation.

1. I never start the snark or name calling, insulting or otherwise personalizing disagreements about most things. I do hit back.

2. There simply are not any overwhelmed hospitals anywhere in the US. There has been massive news coverage of the threat of an overwhelmed hospital system but it has not materialized. That threat was exaggerated by the public health policy personnel who then scared the hell out of the political leadership. Andrew Cuomo, whose actually done a pretty good job through this epidemic, was asking for 40,000 ventilators. That's like 10X the number of people actually on ventilators in the entire United States.

3. Don't be a sheep and mindlessly accept whatever bullshit your political thought leaders emote without at least some critical thought. I know you're a lefty but the sapien part of homo sapien means you are capable of rational critical thinking but simply won't because its hostile to your political beliefs. Just spend some time looking at the actual data as this epidemic has unfolded. Indeed specifically look at the change in IMHE models on 4/5 and 4/6.

4. To return to where we started, there will be football and basketball next fall. The political leadership of almost every state (think the nuts that banned HQC might actually trash their states' economies) and the United States is not going to destroy the American economy, and all that goes with that destruction, because an illness is effecting a small percentage of the population.

Go look at the reports of the mass graves being filled in NYC, and then keep telling everyone this is overblown I think you are really full of yourself, but sometimes your posts about Hawkeye basketball are pretty good. In this case, you have very little idea what you are talking about, and you would be smart to just shut up. This will be my last post to you on this thread. By the way, I do have Dr. in front of my name.

"Mass graves"???? Are you insane? About 700-800 more people a day are dying in NY State that usual-and even that number includes co-morbidities. That's sad but hardly requires mass graves. I'm pretty sure the dying are being individually buried or cremated by their families. You're describing an epidemic more like medieval Black Death where mass morbidity outran the capacity for individual burial. Jesus, the state and local governments even give the homeless individual burial. A belief in nonsense like mass graves probably would make a chap feel the Fourth Horseman was at hand. Fortunately, reconnecting with reality disabuses such fears.

As for whose out of their depth, you support your argument with a reference to a frightening but entirely false anecdote about mass graves and I remain data focused.

I'm not full of myself I'm just confident in my opinions. What did John Lennon say? Genius is pain and how I suffer. For those lacking a sense of humor....that is what we call a joke.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT