ADVERTISEMENT

Old Iowa wrestling footage

augiehawk

HR All-State
Dec 13, 2004
I have been watching some old Iowa wrestling matches and meets recently on Youtube and here are some thoughts on what is different that today. Watched some Iowa vs Iowa State 1986, Iowa vs Ok St 1987, Brands matches, etc..

1. Diversity of attacks. Lots of different moves in neutral and on top.
2. More threat of a big move. Watched the 86 team and multiple guys were looking for throws, headlocks, etc.. I feel like this is something that its missing from today's teams across college. I feel like Assad did some of this his freshman year, but not now. Is this coached out of him? Always thought a guy like Taylor Walsh would be good to have on staff. You just had to wrestle him differently.
3. So glad they changed the out of bounds rule. It was hard to watch guys with most of their bodies in bounds and have the ref stop the action.
4. So glad they got rid of the injury timeout as well.
5. Watched the Tom Brands all star match and this was 1 vs 2 and pace and action throughout. Just seems like wrestling is much more calculated now and 1 vs 2 is typically a very tight close match.

Just some random thoughts and with wrestling action slow, something to discuss.

I have been watching some old Iowa wrestling matches and meets recently on Youtube and here are some thoughts on what is different that today. Watched some Iowa vs Iowa State 1986, Iowa vs Ok St 1987, Brands matches, etc..

2. More threat of a big move. Watched the 86 team and multiple guys were looking for throws, headlocks, etc.. I feel like this is something that its missing from today's teams across college. I feel like Assad did some of this his freshman year, but not now. Is this coached out of him? Always thought a guy like Taylor Walsh would be good to have on staff. You just had to wrestle him differently.
3. So glad they changed the out of bounds rule. It was hard to watch guys with most of their bodies in bounds and have the ref stop the action.
5. Watched the Tom Brands all star match and this was 1 vs 2 and pace and action throughout. Just seems like wrestling is much more calculated now and 1 vs 2 is typically a very tight close match.

#2 is huge. No denying wrestling was far more wide-open and fun to watch in those days.

#5 is probably partly due to the abundance of readily available film study material- every minute of every match. Staffs prep to get a one point lead and preserve it. It was so clear in the ISU meet after 8-plus minutes at 149 the plan from jump was to get to UTB. Strategically smart but painful to watch.

Watch how quickly refs called stalling back then. Guys could take shots, try throws etc and maybe give up a takedown in the process but get out and still keep shooting and getting in wrestling positions to score because the other guy couldn’t sit on a lead. Now, two really good opponents are hesitant to take shots because the other guy will make him pay and stall the rest of the match. This is wrestling wide.

My favorite is Mid 70s Iowa with the GIANT SQUARE SHAPED MAT...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT