ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

any moment now.. its gonna happen

ApGUJ5.gif

which is why Michigan’s offense would have been so much better for him this season since he would be starting in the slot
We’re told he can play both inside and outside, if that’s the case then he wouldn’t be starting at Michigan even with the change unless they’re running primarily 4 wr sets.

We’re told he can play both inside and outside, if that’s the case then he wouldn’t be starting at Michigan even with the change unless they’re running primarily 4 wr sets.

Michigan will be running mostly 3 and 4 WR sets this year. They moved their FB from last season to DL since there won't be a fullback spot other than the occasional goalline situation. Harbaugh hired Josh Gattis to run his version of wide open RPO spread attack and totally abandoned what he had been doing previously.

Since Martin left, Michigan has 2 true freshmen battling for the starting slot WR position.

which is why Michigan’s offense would have been so much better for him this season since he would be starting in the slot

He’s taking snaps in the slot at Iowa. He’ll work into that role as he continues to acclimate with Stanley.
He’s closer to home and family.
More comfortable with the coaching staff and program at Iowa.

How can you make the assumptions that he “would be better off at Michigan”. If he hated living there, and the coaches/program then he would have never succeeded, regardless of the offensive set.

He’s taking snaps in the slot at Iowa. He’ll work into that role as he continues to acclimate with Stanley.
He’s closer to home and family.
More comfortable with the coaching staff and program at Iowa.

How can you make the assumptions that he “would be better off at Michigan”. If he hated living there, and the coaches/program then he would have never succeeded, regardless of the offensive set.

please learn to read in context. I wish the kid well at Iowa. I was pointing out the irony of him leaving Michigan right when their offense changed to better utilize him. Michigan's 2019 offense would be far better for him than Michigan's 2018 offense. I was not talking in any way about Iowa's offense.

He transferred out right as Michigan's offense changed to perfectly cater to him in 2019. It's ironic.

please learn to read in context. I wish the kid well at Iowa. I was pointing out the irony of him leaving Michigan right when their offense changed to better utilize him. Michigan's 2019 offense would be far better for him than Michigan's 2018 offense. I was not talking in any way about Iowa's offense.

He transferred out right as Michigan's offense changed to perfectly cater to him in 2019. It's ironic.

Maybe it would maybe it wouldn't. It's speculation at this point.

The fact remains that Iowa has historically used their slot receivers heavily so he'll be set up well here.

Receptions per year starting slot
2018: 52 receptions (Easley)
2017: 51 receptions (Easley)
2016: 42 receptions (McCarron)

While Martin may have received more targets this year at Michigan than last year, he's assured 40 plus receptions at Iowa if he starts in the slot.

Reactions: ChiHawk21

That's why perhaps there's more to the story? Just speculating or perhaps simply he missed home, his family, friends and the pull of the hometown school and it was time for the prodigal son to return...:)

Interesting article that highlights some potential transfer sabotage from Michigan. But the part that give me hope is that is seems this request was denied because Michigan said he was seeking increased playing time and Harbough's public comments were about how Martin was at the top of the spring depth chart, so playing time isn't an issue.

He would’ve been fourth behind Black, Collins, and People-Jones.

And at Iowa he’d be our best option playing at two positions. And based on our Kids day he’d be our #2 in targets.

Only so many balls to go around at Michigan.

The whole narrative from Harbaugh that Martin was atop the depth chart is meant to block his waiver request. Him and Michigan have stopped others already from being granted their requests.

Reactions: RHBar and thrillpac
The whole narrative from Harbaugh that Martin was atop the depth chart is meant to block his waiver request. Him and Michigan have stopped others already from being granted their requests.
I hate to say it but I think you are on to something

The Cincy coach even called Jimmy out on it publicly

Reactions: RHBar
If that is the case what a loser to purposely try to block a kid from being eligible this year
this was the story:

Michigan's Harbaugh: I wouldn't lie about transfer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Jim Harbaugh lashed out Tuesday night at Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell, who said Michigan did not support a transfer's attempt to immediately play for the Bearcats.

Harbaugh said he told Fickell months ago he wouldn't lie about what he knew regarding the transfer of James Hudson.

Fickell told The Athletic that Michigan didn't support Hudson's waiver request.

"They can say they didn't undermine it, but they didn't work to help the kid out,'' Fickell said in the story published Tuesday. "All the power is in the hands of the school a player is leaving. If they want to help, they can help them become eligible.''

Harbaugh said that's simply not true.

"Michigan did not block the waiver,'' said Harbaugh, adding it was the NCAA's decision to deny Hudson's request.

The NCAA does not comment on specific waiver cases, and schools rarely do, even when an athlete waives protection under federal privacy laws.

Hudson, a seldom-used offensive lineman, transferred to Cincinnati last year. The NCAA denied his waiver request in the spring to be eligible this season. Hudson posted on Twitter that mental health prompted his transfer, but his request was denied because he did not reveal the issues at Michigan.

Hudson, who is from Toledo, Ohio, signed to play at Michigan in 2017, and he redshirted as a freshman and played sparingly as a sophomore.

Harbaugh said Fickell called him in March, trying to coach him what to say about the events leading up to Hudson's transfer.

"I told him, 'I'm not going to lie,''' Harbaugh recalled telling Fickell.

Harbaugh said he talked to Fickell about Hudson switching from offensive to defensive line. As Harbaugh has often said this summer, he believes all college athletes should be able to transfer once without sitting out the following season.

"That's how I personally feel about this issue,'' he said.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27382723/michigan-harbaugh-lie-transfer

Reactions: Wadzinator
this was the story:

Michigan's Harbaugh: I wouldn't lie about transfer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Jim Harbaugh lashed out Tuesday night at Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell, who said Michigan did not support a transfer's attempt to immediately play for the Bearcats.

Harbaugh said he told Fickell months ago he wouldn't lie about what he knew regarding the transfer of James Hudson.

Fickell told The Athletic that Michigan didn't support Hudson's waiver request.

"They can say they didn't undermine it, but they didn't work to help the kid out,'' Fickell said in the story published Tuesday. "All the power is in the hands of the school a player is leaving. If they want to help, they can help them become eligible.''

Harbaugh said that's simply not true.

"Michigan did not block the waiver,'' said Harbaugh, adding it was the NCAA's decision to deny Hudson's request.

The NCAA does not comment on specific waiver cases, and schools rarely do, even when an athlete waives protection under federal privacy laws.

Hudson, a seldom-used offensive lineman, transferred to Cincinnati last year. The NCAA denied his waiver request in the spring to be eligible this season. Hudson posted on Twitter that mental health prompted his transfer, but his request was denied because he did not reveal the issues at Michigan.

Hudson, who is from Toledo, Ohio, signed to play at Michigan in 2017, and he redshirted as a freshman and played sparingly as a sophomore.

Harbaugh said Fickell called him in March, trying to coach him what to say about the events leading up to Hudson's transfer.

"I told him, 'I'm not going to lie,''' Harbaugh recalled telling Fickell.

Harbaugh said he talked to Fickell about Hudson switching from offensive to defensive line. As Harbaugh has often said this summer, he believes all college athletes should be able to transfer once without sitting out the following season.

"That's how I personally feel about this issue,'' he said.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27382723/michigan-harbaugh-lie-transfer
I'm sorry but I had a bad taste in my mouth with this guy as soon as I heard about him sleep on the floor some recruits bedroom jumping in the pool with recruits I mean this guy is a dirtbag and he'll try to manipulate any kid to get what he wants he's yeah not good. Then he says he's never picked his nose and eating it well thats what i saw

Reactions: Franisdaman
I started this thread 34 days ago. That is when we found out OM's family had hired an attorney to help in his case.

Unbelievable, isn't it, how this has been dragged out?

To be fair, the lawyer didn’t turn in the request the day he was hired. I’m not sure when he did submit it, but Kirk verified that there was a lag between when the lawyer was hired, the case and document were built, and finally submitted.

I would think it would take, at a minimum, a week for for the lawyer to do his lawyering, probably more.

I'm sorry but I had a bad taste in my mouth with this guy as soon as I heard about him sleep on the floor some recruits bedroom jumping in the pool with recruits I mean this guy is a dirtbag and he'll try to manipulate any kid to get what he wants he's yeah not good. Then he says he's never picked his nose and eating it well thats what i saw
Yeah, when Jim says, and I quote, "I wouldn't lie," well, I think he is lying.

It isn't the coach signing off on the report. It is some assistant AD in compliance. So Harbaugh can say all the right things publicly but Michigan can still submit a report that hurts and doesn't help.

It isn't the coach signing off on the report. It is some assistant AD in compliance. So Harbaugh can say all the right things publicly but Michigan can still submit a report that hurts and doesn't help.
It all sounds chickenshit come on just help the kid play at another school don't be butthurt about him wanting to leave your school

He would’ve been fourth behind Black, Collins, and People-Jones.

And at Iowa he’d be our best option playing at two positions. And based on our Kids day he’d be our #2 in targets.

Only so many balls to go around at Michigan.

Black, Collins, and DPJ are all on the outside. Martin would have started in the slot. MLives current best guess depth chart has frost Mike Sainristl starting there.

Michigan won't block the transfers, they will just submit comments in their report that will make the NCAA block the transfer, then the coach can hold up his hands and say that it was the compliance department that submitted the report. It resembles a classic government circle jerk with the fingers pointing at everyone else.

Michigan won't block the transfers, they will just submit comments in their report that will make the NCAA block the transfer, then the coach can hold up his hands and say that it was the compliance department that submitted the report. It resembles a classic government circle jerk with the fingers pointing at everyone else.
Save this post! It will explain exactly when people start asking, "Why did they disapprove the waiver?" next week.

Once Jim Harbaugh stated that a player should be able to transfer the first time w/o sitting out then the decision allowing him to play should of gone into affect.

Once Jim Harbaugh stated that a player should be able to transfer the first time w/o sitting out then the decision allowing him to play should of gone into affect.
Harbaugh saying that is like saban saying teams should be playing 10 power 5 conference teams.

as Harbaugh repeatedly pointed out, neither he nor Michigan has anything to do with the approval or disapproval of the exemption. He would personally prefer if players could transfer with no questions asked and be immediately eligible but the NCAA won't allow it.

Cincinnati's coach is just mad Harbaugh won't lie to help Hudson make a case to the NCAA. Hudson was doing well at Michigan and got mad when the RT got hurt in the MSU game and Andrew Steuber bypassed him on the depth chart and got to play and he didn't. The day after the game his parents met with Harbaugh and asked for transfer paperwork and he filed it on Monday. If he wants to claim he was depressed he can, but Harbaugh certainly won't lie on his behalf for it.

Harbaugh believes Martin should be immediately eligible but there is literally nothing he can do to make that decision for the NCAA.

as Harbaugh repeatedly pointed out, neither he nor Michigan has anything to do with the approval or disapproval of the exemption. He would personally prefer if players could transfer with no questions asked and be immediately eligible but the NCAA won't allow it.

Cincinnati's coach is just mad Harbaugh won't lie to help Hudson make a case to the NCAA. Hudson was doing well at Michigan and got mad when the RT got hurt in the MSU game and Andrew Steuber bypassed him on the depth chart and got to play and he didn't. The day after the game his parents met with Harbaugh and asked for transfer paperwork and he filed it on Monday. If he wants to claim he was depressed he can, but Harbaugh certainly won't lie on his behalf for it.

Harbaugh believes Martin should be immediately eligible but there is literally nothing he can do to make that decision for the NCAA.

That is a chuckle worthy disingenuous post on this subject. You are correct, Harbaugh can’t make the decision for the NCAA, can he have an influence? Yes. Can Michigan block the transfer? Absolutely not, can they influence the decision? Absolutely. To imply otherwise is laughable

So much wrong in this post. UM has to verify the reasons for the transfer leaving and other things such as academic status and status with team. It goes through the athletic department, but definitely can be influenced by the coaching staff if they want and if the player didn’t document everything. To think otherwise is absurd.

Reactions: David1979
if they don't make a decision today... how much will that impact the Depth Chart and Preparation for next week's game?
Probably very little...if approved consider it a nice bonus for all! Sure it would be nice, but this is the NCAA after all.

How the eff have they not made a decision a week before the season starts. This is a joke, just let every kid transfer once without having to sit out a year and be done. That way everything is black and white, kids don't have to hire lawyers, coaches or universities don't need to grant or deny anything. You get one transfer, then after that, you sit a year no matter the circumstances.

lol

Hudson gave zero indications of his depression while he was at Michigan, then Cincinnati called Harbaugh and tried to tell him what to say about Hudson’s reasons for transferring. I have no idea how anyone could blame Harbaugh for Hudson’s waiver rejection other than the fact that people dislike Harbaugh.

Hudson gave zero indications of his depression while he was at Michigan, then Cincinnati called Harbaugh and tried to tell him what to say about Hudson’s reasons for transferring. I have no idea how anyone could blame Harbaugh for Hudson’s waiver rejection other than the fact that people dislike Harbaugh.
Lol

What people don't seem to remember the NCAA had a set policy, you sit a year no matter what. Then people started asking for exceptions and it got out of control. I think if there is a push for everyone gets one free transfer the NCAA will just revert back to the original stance of everyone sits out.

I like the everyone sits rule better that way there are no exceptions, the blue bloods don't get a different set of rules, etc. If everyone gets 1 free transfer we are going to end back up right where we are now because people will want an exception on their second transfer due to some extenuating circumstance.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT