ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

I wonder how many other transfers are waiting on a decision from the NCAA...
or is Oliver Martin the only one?
Heard last night during the miami florida game that one of the teams would be starters was still waiting on hearing from the ncaa about his immediate eligibility waiver request so the backup had to play.

For those of you thinking Jim Harbaugh does not blackball kids who leave his program, here is more evidence to the contrary.

Check this out:

This looks promising....

LOL

Yes, good ol' KJay News!

There is what is at the top of their Twitter page:

KJAYnews
@KjaYnews

The fastest growing news network in Eastern Iowa and Europe. Football is family and family is forever. Official News Network of Long Snapper Drew Scott

Joined December 2018

132 Following
162 Followers

1080x360

That is huge news. I think it’s crucial to get him playing this year because with Eppy, Wirfs and Stanley this outdoor be one of those undefeated/championship type special seasons that KF sprinkles in every few years. OM would make our WR corps finally as feared as our RBs and TEs are every year.

Reactions: Wadzinator
For those of you thinking Jim Harbaugh does not blackball kids who leave his program, here is more evidence to the contrary.

Check this out:

Fran,
I am not sure what responsibility the school the kid is leaving from has in securing a waiver. Someone in the link said something to the effect OSU was doing more. I would like to see what OSU did to get Martell's waiver approved. That situation is entertaining because he is apparently a slot receiver at Miami because he couldnt win the QB job there, either.
Harbaugh is a douche but I don't see how he has any responsibility above and beyond answering questions from the NCAA. It surely isn't his responsibity to drive the process.

It wae reported a couple weeks ago that Martin's waiver application had only been submitted a couple weeks before that. The real story here is why it took so long for whoever is representing him to move on that.
I hope he plays this year because I think he adds an element to the offense. I have no reason to expect that will happen, though. I hope to be proven wrong.

If the #1 reason given for him transferring is his position coach leaving....you might run into trouble with the NCAA. His posituon coach was there for less than a year (about 9 months)....he had zero to do with why Martin chose Michigan in the first place.

Except: when Martin chose Michigan, Iowa had neither an OC or a WR coach. So, there's that.

Fran,
I am not sure what responsibility the school the kid is leaving from has in securing a waiver. Someone in the link said something to the effect OSU was doing more. I would like to see what OSU did to get Martell's waiver approved. That situation is entertaining because he is apparently a slot receiver at Miami because he couldnt win the QB job there, either.
Harbaugh is a douche but I don't see how he has any responsibility above and beyond answering questions from the NCAA. It surely isn't his responsibity to drive the process.

Look up the kid at GA Tech who just got turned down. Michigan said the kid left "solely for playing time and a fresh start". The kid and his parents answered the same question much differently. In fact, one of the key things they said was that the kid did NOT feel comfortable addressing any of it with Harbaugh, personally.

In essence, look at the track record. Michigan transfer-outs appear to be "0-fer" on getting waivers. Their luck with oncoming is considerably better, including Shea Patterson.

It wae reported a couple weeks ago that Martin's waiver application had only been submitted a couple weeks before that. The real story here is why it took so long for whoever is representing him to move on that.
I hope he plays this year because I think he adds an element to the offense. I have no reason to expect that will happen, though. I hope to be proven wrong.

I think Martin files the initial paperwork, not Iowa. The NCAA sends the paperwork to Michigan and Iowa after they get the waiver request from the player. Who knows how long it too the NCAA to get the paperwork back to Iowa after Oliver requested the waiver

Would think there may be some goodwill in Harbaugh's heart because of how Iowa handled the Rudock situation.

And you would be wrong. When Harbaugh says, "Every kid deserves a free transfer", he is saying under his breath "...TO Michigan. Noone should get a free transfer FROM Michigan". You can read his lips if you look close enough.

Aug 9 Update:

Kirk Ferentz says NCAA only recently received Oliver Martin petition

Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The paperwork has been submitted, but only recently, in the quest to gain wide-receiver transfer Oliver Martin immediate eligibility for the Iowa football program.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said the petition to the NCAA, which is largely in the hands of the UI compliance office (and an attorney hired by the Martin family), was filed "within the last two weeks." So it’s a misnomer to suggest the NCAA has been sitting on the former Michigan receiver’s case.

What took so long? Ferentz didn't offer that information. Nor does he have any clue what the NCAA will rule.

“Oliver doesn’t have any information; I don’t have any information,” Ferentz said during Iowa’s media day Friday. “There’s not much we can do. So, we’ll just remain neutral. I’d like to be optimistic, but I don’t have any grounds for that.”

Martin continues to practice well, Ferentz said. But with the season approaching fast, a quick ruling either way would help coaches determine whether Martin will be part of the 2019 plans as a redshirt sophomore or whether he’ll have to sit out until 2020.

Iowa is seven practices into fall camp, and its season opener is Aug. 31 against Miami of Ohio.

“If he can get eligibility,” Ferentz said. “I certainly think he’ll help our football team this year.”

Martin, the former Iowa City West standout, joined the Hawkeyes in early June after two years at Michigan and a quick stay in the NCAA transfer portal. Iowa was his first choice, and he was immediately welcomed back to his hometown.

On our Hawk Central radio show in June, wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland said Martin had been doing well. As for his eligibility, he said then: "Either way, he’s going to contribute. He’s going to help the program."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-media-day-michigan-transfer/1969080001/

Aug 6 Update:

Still NOTHING.

Aug 1 Update:

No ruling yet; no known timetable.

July 19, ORIGINAL POST
Great article from Chad Leistikow.

Some excerpts:

[Ferentz] later got a question about the NCAA’s transfer portal and chuckled.

Ferentz joined the chorus of many Big Ten coaches here, saying he is confused why some players are granted immediate eligibility after transferring and others are not. He and the Hawkeyes are currently in that state of limbo. They're waiting to hear from the NCAA on whether Michigan transfer Oliver Martin will be cleared to play in 2019 for the Hawkeyes.

“Just some clarity on that whole thing would really help," Ferentz said. "I understand how the portal works. That’s pretty clear. What is confusing is who gets a pass to the field and who doesn’t, and that didn’t start this past 12 months, either."

The Martin family has hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Ferentz, in a later interview with Iowa reporters, couldn't offer a timetable of when the NCAA will rule. Athletics director Gary Barta said in a separate interview that his research showed that 60% to 70% of immediate-eligibility waivers for transfers have been approved. That would seem to increase Martin's odds.

“I’m not an expert on the topic at all, but as an outsider, it certainly seems like your chances of getting things your way increase (with an attorney)," Ferentz said. "We’ll just wait and see."

Martin loves it at Iowa, and a source says he has acclimated quickly to the wide-receivers room; building culture is an important piece to the Hawkeyes 'formula, and Martin is on the right track.

“He’s been training with the team all summer long and doing a great job," Ferentz said. "Seems to have fit right in with everybody. Obviously knows Iowa City a little bit. I think he’s doing a great job."

As for the waiver?

"We obviously think he’s a really good football player and good young person," Ferentz said. "If he could help our football team, I’m all for anyone helping us. But we’re not counting on it. That’d be a bonus.”

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...r-portal-oliver-martin-recruiting/1772814001/

A lot of angst could be eliminated with a firm deadline when a waiver application has to be filed for the upcoming season. Teams could also plan to replace the transferring player. Of course that would mean the players have to make their decision earlier and the NCAA has to have sufficient staff to make a timely decision. There is really no way to make everyone happy.

Not sure of these guys but a Facebook page called Hawkeyes & Tallboys claims he’s eligible the announcement to come tomorrow. We’ll see.. I’m trying to link a screenshot but can’t figure out how to put a picture on here.

Fran,
all i am doing is showing you what's being reported and the displeasure being shown by the families.

also, there are coaches coming out showing displeasure with Harbaugh.

Look up the kid at GA Tech who just got turned down. Michigan said the kid left "solely for playing time and a fresh start". The kid and his parents answered the same question much differently. In fact, one of the key things they said was that the kid did NOT feel comfortable addressing any of it with Harbaugh, personally.

In essence, look at the track record. Michigan transfer-outs appear to be "0-fer" on getting waivers. Their luck with oncoming is considerably better, including Shea Patterson.

So.what were they supposed to answer? Again, this is not obstruction. They acknowledged the kid wanted playing time.

If the scoop is correct, it's still disgusting that the ncaa approved OM's petition so quickly (considering that the request was only made a little over 2-weeks ago) while so many others languish. The Iowa player jumps the line just coz his HC has been around a long time and is well respected. :)

I think Martin files the initial paperwork, not Iowa. The NCAA sends the paperwork to Michigan and Iowa after they get the waiver request from the player. Who knows how long it too the NCAA to get the paperwork back to Iowa after Oliver requested the waiver

Iowa has nothing to do with it. It is up to the player and his attorney if he chooses to have one represent him. According to KF, Martin's attorney didn't submit the paperwork until late July. That isn't on Michigan or the NCAA.

So.what were they supposed to answer? Again, this is not obstruction. They acknowledged the kid wanted playing time.

The kid and his family told NCAA there were "mental health issues", and that the kid did NOT feel comfortable broaching the subject with Harbaugh OR ANYONE at Michigan. The kid did NOT say it was "only" about playing time.

We're talking Harbaugh here...

But...assuming OM is eligible. Who says he's suddenly 1 or 2 on the depth chart? Do you just dump the guys you already named 1/2?
It’s WR. The most fluidly substituted position on the field. If he is better than those guys, of course, but they’ll all play.

all i am doing is showing you what's being reported and the displeasure being shown by the families.

also, there are coaches coming out showing displeasure with Harbaugh.

I am not a fan of Harbaugh. Giant douche, IMO. I, like all Iowa fans hope OM gets to play this year. I just don't see Harbaugh ae the reason a decision hasn't been reached yet.

The kid and his family told NCAA there were "mental health issues", and that the kid did NOT feel comfortable broaching the subject with Harbaugh OR ANYONE at Michigan. The kid did NOT say it was "only" about playing time.

Well, if the kid said he wasnt comfortable sharing his mental health issues with the coaching staff, how wohld the coaching staff have information pertaining to his mental health to share with the NCAA?

Well, if the kid said he wasnt comfortable sharing his mental health issues with the coaching staff, how wohld the coaching staff have information pertaining to his mental health to share with the NCAA?

He also said he did NOT tell them it was "solely" about playing time. But that is what Michigan put on the questionnaire they got from the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT