ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Michigan's Harbaugh: I wouldn't lie about transfer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Jim Harbaugh lashed out Tuesday night at Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell, who said Michigan did not support a transfer's attempt to immediately play for the Bearcats.

Harbaugh said he told Fickell months ago he wouldn't lie about what he knew regarding the transfer of James Hudson.

Fickell told The Athletic that Michigan didn't support Hudson's waiver request.

"They can say they didn't undermine it, but they didn't work to help the kid out,'' Fickell said in the story published Tuesday. "All the power is in the hands of the school a player is leaving. If they want to help, they can help them become eligible.''

Harbaugh said that's simply not true.

"Michigan did not block the waiver,'' said Harbaugh, adding it was the NCAA's decision to deny Hudson's request.

The NCAA does not comment on specific waiver cases, and schools rarely do, even when an athlete waives protection under federal privacy laws.

Hudson, a seldom-used offensive lineman, transferred to Cincinnati last year. The NCAA denied his waiver request in the spring to be eligible this season. Hudson posted on Twitter that mental health prompted his transfer, but his request was denied because he did not reveal the issues at Michigan.

Hudson, who is from Toledo, Ohio, signed to play at Michigan in 2017, and he redshirted as a freshman and played sparingly as a sophomore.

Harbaugh said Fickell called him in March, trying to coach him what to say about the events leading up to Hudson's transfer.

"I told him, 'I'm not going to lie,''' Harbaugh recalled telling Fickell.

Harbaugh said he talked to Fickell about Hudson switching from offensive to defensive line. As Harbaugh has often said this summer, he believes all college athletes should be able to transfer once without sitting out the following season.

"That's how I personally feel about this issue,'' he said.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27382723/michigan-harbaugh-lie-transfer

Michigan's Harbaugh: I wouldn't lie about transfer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Jim Harbaugh lashed out Tuesday night at Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell, who said Michigan did not support a transfer's attempt to immediately play for the Bearcats.

Harbaugh said he told Fickell months ago he wouldn't lie about what he knew regarding the transfer of James Hudson.

Fickell told The Athletic that Michigan didn't support Hudson's waiver request.

"They can say they didn't undermine it, but they didn't work to help the kid out,'' Fickell said in the story published Tuesday. "All the power is in the hands of the school a player is leaving. If they want to help, they can help them become eligible.''

Harbaugh said that's simply not true.

"Michigan did not block the waiver,'' said Harbaugh, adding it was the NCAA's decision to deny Hudson's request.

The NCAA does not comment on specific waiver cases, and schools rarely do, even when an athlete waives protection under federal privacy laws.

Hudson, a seldom-used offensive lineman, transferred to Cincinnati last year. The NCAA denied his waiver request in the spring to be eligible this season. Hudson posted on Twitter that mental health prompted his transfer, but his request was denied because he did not reveal the issues at Michigan.

Hudson, who is from Toledo, Ohio, signed to play at Michigan in 2017, and he redshirted as a freshman and played sparingly as a sophomore.

Harbaugh said Fickell called him in March, trying to coach him what to say about the events leading up to Hudson's transfer.

"I told him, 'I'm not going to lie,''' Harbaugh recalled telling Fickell.

Harbaugh said he talked to Fickell about Hudson switching from offensive to defensive line. As Harbaugh has often said this summer, he believes all college athletes should be able to transfer once without sitting out the following season.

"That's how I personally feel about this issue,'' he said.

LINK: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27382723/michigan-harbaugh-lie-transfer

I don't see that Harbaugh has done anything wrong here...
and he has the right attitude toward transfers.

I don't believe we have anything to worry about in regards to Oliver Martin's waiver approval... I expect we'll be getting a decision soon.

I don't see that Harbaugh has done anything wrong here...
and he has the right attitude toward transfers.

I don't believe we have anything to worry about in regards to Oliver Martin's waiver approval... I expect we'll be getting a decision soon.

At any rate, hopefully Jimmy remembers we cleared Rudock to go there at a time when we yet did not have to. Kirk did the right thing for the kid.

Yeah, Rudock was a graduate transfer. Kirk had zero say in this move.
I disagree. Kirk had plenty to say in this move. Kirk was honest and told Jake in January, after the bowl game, that Jake would be the back up to CJ Beathard for the upcoming season. What Kirk said prompted Jake's move to Michigan. What Kirk said and when he said it gave Jake A LOT OF TIME to ponder his next move.

And you say Kirk had zero say in Jake's move?

Also, this ESPN story shows you are WRONG. As you can see, Kirk had PLENTY to say in "this move."

Jake Rudock allowed to transfer

• i

Josh MoyerESPN Staff Writer

March 26, 2015

Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock is free to transfer anywhere, including to another Big Ten school, Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz said Wednesday.

"We signed a release, basically, with no strings attached," Ferentz said on the first day of Hawkeyes spring practice. "... Bottom line is I want him to be happy about the opportunities in front of him."

Rudock, who visited Michigan earlier this week, could play immediately as a graduate transfer. He technically remains on Iowa's roster and has not been banned from the football building, but he's also not practicing with the team.

"Until he decides what he's going to do definitively," Ferentz said, "we'll keep him outside the program at this point.

"He's not banned from the building by any stretch, yet. I think right now he just kind of has to finalize what his plans are going to be, and we'll move from there."

The two-year starter appeared in 12 games last season and started in all but one due to injury. He finished the year with 2,436 passing yards, 16 TDs and five interceptions. But backup C.J. Beathard also played in nine games, outshined Rudock at times and was listed as Iowa's starter in a spring depth chart released in January.

"If Jake's heart's not totally into being here, then it's probably best he does go somewhere else," Ferentz said. "But, right now, he's in the exploratory process in this stage."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-football-most-exciting-players-no-tua-trevor

His position coach at Michigan left. I don't know why the NCAA would deny him.

Is there a direct release of decisions from the NCAA, Most Corrupt Organization Worldwide This Side of the IOC? (New official organizational title). If so, that would "x" out that possibility. If not...I like it.

FIFA is way more corrupt than both.

His position coach at Michigan left. I don't know why the NCAA would deny him.

FIFA is way more corrupt than both.
I'm agreeing with the general idea. I disagree with way more. We've just heard of times FIFA has been caught. Who knows, for instance, what's gone on in the shadows concerning PSU, OSU, and MSU large scale sex incident infractions have been essentially swept away...inept timing and clarity of transfer equality...etc.

Rudock was a graduate transfer, meaning the NCAA would allow him to transfer and gain immediate eligibility.

But the old B1G rules were still in place. The rules that allowed Bo Ryan to be an asshole about Uthoff.

Iowa was cool and let Rudock transfer and receive immediate financial aid. The same that they did with Ben Brust to Wisconsin.

Bo Ryan is a douche.

From chads text group

BTW, there's no Oliver Martin ruling expected from NCAA this week but the case is progressing. Cannot say more than that for now. But he's still appearing in practice photos and apparently doing very well on the field. Once again, a closed scrimmage on Saturday in Iowa City. We get coordinator interviews Tuesday.

Be back on the clock Monday with more updates!

-Chad

Reactions: Franisdaman
From chads text group

BTW, there's no Oliver Martin ruling expected from NCAA this week but the case is progressing. Cannot say more than that for now. But he's still appearing in practice photos and apparently doing very well on the field. Once again, a closed scrimmage on Saturday in Iowa City. We get coordinator interviews Tuesday.

-Chad

Who is Chad?

I am telling ya, he gets declared eligible the Monday before the Iowa State game and they go batshit crazy over it. The excuse for them losing this year's game and super bowl and all that stupid crap they spout when they lose annually.

This would be hilarious. Especially if he went for over 100 and 2 tds.

Also, this ESPN story shows you are WRONG. As you can see, Kirk had PLENTY to say in "this move."

Jake Rudock allowed to transfer

• i

Josh MoyerESPN Staff Writer

March 26, 2015

Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock is free to transfer anywhere, including to another Big Ten school, Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz said Wednesday.

"We signed a release, basically, with no strings attached," Ferentz said on the first day of Hawkeyes spring practice. "... Bottom line is I want him to be happy about the opportunities in front of him."

Rudock, who visited Michigan earlier this week, could play immediately as a graduate transfer. He technically remains on Iowa's roster and has not been banned from the football building, but he's also not practicing with the team.

"Until he decides what he's going to do definitively," Ferentz said, "we'll keep him outside the program at this point.

"He's not banned from the building by any stretch, yet. I think right now he just kind of has to finalize what his plans are going to be, and we'll move from there."

The two-year starter appeared in 12 games last season and started in all but one due to injury. He finished the year with 2,436 passing yards, 16 TDs and five interceptions. But backup C.J. Beathard also played in nine games, outshined Rudock at times and was listed as Iowa's starter in a spring depth chart released in January.

"If Jake's heart's not totally into being here, then it's probably best he does go somewhere else," Ferentz said. "But, right now, he's in the exploratory process in this stage."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-football-most-exciting-players-no-tua-trevor
Lol, after the Uthoff situation with an intra-conference transition, there is absolutely no way in hell Barta would allow Ferentz to block that.

From chads text group

-Chad
Any chance you could provide updates on the Chad text group? I saw the announcement after they closed the group.

At any rate, hopefully Jimmy remembers we cleared Rudock to go there at a time when we yet did not have to. Kirk did the right thing for the kid.
I agree with you ... BUT: Kirk knew that Rudock would not play against Iowa (well at least regular season). otoh, Martin will get the chance to abuse his previous coach and teammates.

I feel it should go the other way. Everyone should be allowed a free transfer. These guys have a limited time to prove worth to a potential employer.

Why waste a year of these guys time?

Rudock can make the transfer to Michigan. I feel like we should get one in return.

I feel it should go the other way. Everyone should be allowed a free transfer. These guys have a limited time to prove worth to a potential employer.

Why waste a year of these guys time?

Rudock can make the transfer to Michigan. I feel like we should get one in return.
the whole transfer thing is a huge mess. the transfer portal was only a start in fixing the whole mess.

why penalize kids who want to leave one school for another? i agree with you; let them have one freebie where when they transfer they have immediate eligibility. if they want to transfer a 2nd time, well, maybe that's when the NCAA can mess with it and determine what should happen.

we don't penalize millionaire coaches and make them sit out a year when they leave one school for another so why do we penalize amateur athletes?

Lol, after the Uthoff situation with an intra-conference transition, there is absolutely no way in hell Barta would allow Ferentz to block that.

So, after being proven wrong about Ferentz’s power to deny JR’s transfer, instead of admitting you were wrong, now you’re trying to downplay Kirk’s good will in the situation. How about a little less yap from you and a little more stfu, mmmkay?

You deserve unlimited likes for this post so here you go! Your post is getting rained on with likes! ;)

AmbitiousEvenGlowworm-size_restricted.gif

So, after being proven wrong about Ferentz’s power to deny JR’s transfer, instead of admitting you were wrong, now you’re trying to downplay Kirk’s good will in the situation. How about a little less yap from you and a little more stfu, mmmkay?

listening to the Hawkeye Heaven podcast that was posted yesterday...
they are saying the decision, on Oliver Martin, has been made... and an announcement will be made by the end of the week.
I think its from Thursday's radio show....

but I'm not sure how reliable these guys are..
unless I'm mistaken... today is the last day of the week.

https://hawkeyeheaven.net/news/hawkeye-heaven-podcast-75-jordan-canzeri/

They probably stole what party hawk said in this thread and acted like it was some inside information they had. Best not ever to read or listen to Hawkeye heaven.

the whole transfer thing is a huge mess. the transfer portal was only a start in fixing the whole mess.

why penalize kids who want to leave one school for another? i agree with you; let them have one freebie where when they transfer they have immediate eligibility. if they want to transfer a 2nd time, well, maybe that's when the NCAA can mess with it and determine what should happen.

we don't penalize millionaire coaches and make them sit out a year when they leave one school for another so why do we penalize amateur athletes?
Fran. as I posted previously coaches don't just get to leave without penalty. This is a regular statement that is not factual. These coaches are bound by the contract they sign with the university. If he has a substancial buyout then he must pay that to leave early so there is in FACT a penalty, just as the school is bound by the contract if they fire him early without just cause. Its up to both parties attorneys to work all this out before, during, or after said contract.

Fran. as I posted previously coaches don't just get to leave without penalty. This is a regular statement that is not factual. These coaches are bound by the contract they sign with the university. If he has a substancial buyout then he must pay that to leave early so there is in FACT a penalty, just as the school is bound by the contract if they fire him early without just cause. Its up to both parties attorneys to work all this out before, during, or after said contract.

Just like the penalty that the student-athlete takes in losing tuition, room and board, nutrition table, world class strength and conditioning, and the perks of being an Iowa athlete.

Students lose out too. There are penalties all the way around.

Back to Martin — we’re going past week three. The NCAA has been working down the list, but we need HawkCentral, iowa.rivals.com, and the Des Moines Register to publish pieces asking what the heck is taking so long, while players X, Y, and Z in similar cases have already been cleared. Do some work NCAA!! Stay and work the weekend.

This isn't honest. The coach himself never pays that buyout: his new employer pays it in order to free him up to coach for them.

Reactions: mrF6n6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT