ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Warning, there's a lot of ignorance going into this oliver martin post. Go easy on me.

Oliver Martin: Twitter rumors flying that his waiver has been approved, but no traditionally credible sources (like Iowa beat writers) have confirmed...so it's rumor. One rumor was from August 15th though that he had been approved. On one hand, it's nearly impossible it could have been kept secret for this long, but on the other hand it would explain BF's change from 'we need to focus on guys who we know are here' to 'we'll treat it as if he's playing with us until we find out he isn't.' I won't believe it until there's some credible source.

Question: Is he ineligible until declared eligible? Or is he eligible until declared ineligible?

Question 2: If he's not had a redshirt, could he just play 4 games then take a redshirt if the appeal is denied?

Warning, there's a lot of ignorance going into this oliver martin post. Go easy on me.

Oliver Martin: Twitter rumors flying that his waiver has been approved, but no traditionally credible sources (like Iowa beat writers) have confirmed...so it's rumor. One rumor was from August 15th though that he had been approved. On one hand, it's nearly impossible it could have been kept secret for this long, but on the other hand it would explain BF's change from 'we need to focus on guys who we know are here' to 'we'll treat it as if he's playing with us until we find out he isn't.' I won't believe it until there's some credible source.

Question: Is he ineligible until declared eligible? Or is he eligible until declared ineligible? Ineligible until declared eligible.

Question 2: If he's not had a redshirt, could he just play 4 games then take a redshirt if the appeal is denied? No

Timeline of the Oliver Martin request:

June 11 (76 days ago):

--It is reported that former Michigan wide receiver Oliver Martin has transferred to Iowa

Sometime before July 19 (38 days ago):

--On July 19 it is reported that the Martin family had hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Mon July 29 (28 days ago):

--Educated guess on when the paperwork was submitted to the NCAA based on this reporting:

--On.Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT it was reported that the paperwork has been submitted "within the last two weeks."

So, the NCAA has had this for AT LEAST 28 days now.

One question I would have:
Why did it take 48 days (between June 11 and July 29) to hire an attorney and to come up with the paperwork to submit to the NCAA?

Last edited:

Question: Is he ineligible until declared eligible? Or is he eligible until declared ineligible?

Question 2: If he's not had a redshirt, could he just play 4 games then take a redshirt if the appeal is denied?
1. Ineligible until declared eligible.
2. He’s already red-shirted while at UM.

He returned to practice last week.

He's missed the past 7 days with a shoulder injury, so probably wouldn't be listed anyway, but of course there's no decision yet on the waiver either so they still don't know if he's eligible to play this season.

He hasn't been practicing at all for the past week because he's been injured, but when healthy he's definitely in the mix, mostly working at the Z receiver spot with ISM. Right now, Iowa has a top 4 at WR (Smith, ISM, Ragaini, and Tracy) and with Martin available it would be a 5 man rotation if he gets the waiver to play this year.

According to Blair's Friday posts, it doesn't appear he practiced last week.

Timeline of the Oliver Martin request:

June 11 (76 days ago):

--It is reported that former Michigan wide receiver Oliver Martin has transferred to Iowa

Sometime before July 19 (38 days ago):

--On July 19 it is reported that the Martin family had hired an attorney to help with his petition.

Mon July 29 (28 days ago):

--Educated guess on when the paperwork was submitted to the NCAA based on this reporting:

--On.Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT it was reported that the paperwork has been submitted "within the last two weeks."

So, the NCAA has had this for AT LEAST 28 days now.

One question I would have:
Why did it take 48 days (between June 11 and July 29) to hire an attorney and to come up with the paperwork to submit to the NCAA?

If it takes 48 days to finalize your case and file paperwork, that is perfectly fine...as long as it gets approved. Better than rushing something and getting a denial.

If it takes 48 days to finalize your case and file paperwork, that is perfectly fine...as long as it gets approved. Better than rushing something and getting a denial.
keep in mind that I am sure he was thinking about transferring long before June 11, which is when it was reported that he was transferring to Iowa

tenor.gif

Welcome to D1 football.

Doesn't really have anything to do with D1 football. Has to do with some being obsessed with this kid because he was a highly rated recruit from Iowa City. And people have wanted him to transfer here since he went to Michigan.

I feel bad for this kid because the build up for him playing has been ridiculous.

The build up is really only among the most rabid part of the fan base, which is just a small slice of the folks who will watch games. KF has done a good job of keeping things tamped down, just making comments like "he's practiced well." In this case, it's helping to reset expectations. If he's healthy, I would be happy if he's a contributor and adds another viable receiver to the squad. If he was actually going to see the field this year at Michigan (it sounds like he was) then he can help Iowa.

Last edited:
The build up is really only among the most rabid part of the fan base, which is just a small slice of the folks who will watch games. KF has done a good job of keeping things tamped down, just making comments like "he's practiced well." In this case, it's helping to reset standards. If he's healthy, I would be happy if he's a contributor and adds another viable receiver to the squad. If he was actually going to see the field this year at Michigan (it sounds like he was) then he can help Iowa.

Very true.

If he's healthy, I would be happy if he's a contributor and adds another viable receiver to the squad. If he was actually going to see the field this year at Michigan (it sounds like he was) then he can help Iowa.

Pretty much where I am on this as well. I admittedly questioned what he was "good at" long ago when this transfer was being discussed, and I would say again that he's not that proven (after only being a RS freshman, what more can he really have done, I guess)...

That said, ANYTHING that improves Iowa's WR situation will be welcomed. Find the 3 or so guys that have the best chemistry with Stanley and keep feeding them the ball. It will do wonders for the running game.

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
Pretty much where I am on this as well. I admittedly questioned what he was "good at" long ago when this transfer was being discussed, and I would say again that he's not that proven (after only being a RS freshman, what more can he really have done, I guess)...

That said, ANYTHING that improves Iowa's WR situation will be welcomed. Find the 3 or so guys that have the best chemistry with Stanley and keep feeding them the ball. It will do wonders for the running game.

We don't know anything until the game start, but it appears as if the staff feels pretty good about Smith, ISM, Ragaini and Tracy. If Martin is healthy, that would be 5. And 5 viable receivers is what you really need to run 3 WR sets as much as I think Iowa might want to this year. Guys get hurt and need breaks during games. Hopefully we will get good news soon.

Doesn't really have anything to do with D1 football. Has to do with some being obsessed with this kid because he was a highly rated recruit from Iowa City. And people have wanted him to transfer here since he went to Michigan.

You don't think the spotlight also isn't bright on Justin Fields?

It comes with the territory of being a high end transfer.

Oliver is a big boy and knew what he signed up for.

rumor is Oliver was told by his lawyer that he got the OK
and the University will be receiving the official document today or yesterday.

but I don't need sources or official confirmation that Martin will be granted immediate eligibility.... I just know it :)

but I don't need sources or official confirmation that Martin will be granted immediate eligibility.... I just know it :)

If true, it's great news. He might not end up being anything more than okay, but just having more good players on the team is always good. If you think back, the good years Iowa has had have coincided with some good news about a player coming back. Prior to the 2008 season, Shonn Greene came out of nowhere. He was a longshot to get back to school once he went to the JUCO. Same for Amari Spievey, who ended up being a really good part of the 2009 team. Same for Clinton Solomon, who had to go to JUCO in 2003 and then was a huge part of the 2004 season.

It's just a bit unusual for Iowa to get good news on player additions. I see Martin and Daivyon Nixon as added bonuses for this year's team as it seemed a longshot to get them on the team this year (Nixon was in the transfer portal and Martin immediate eligibility).

Oh, I see what's going on here...

Time it takes for the average person to get a document over to a second party = 5 minutes.

Time it takes for a lawyer = about a week.

Or that there has been verbal communication but the document is still being prepared.

Putting this in perspective, the Hawks are adding a four star receiver and former top 150 player to an already loaded roster. This has the makings of a special season

Reactions: mrF6n6 and ichawk24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT