ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

I think the shoulder injury that caused him to miss 2-3 weeks of camp put him behind to the point where the season was starting & we more or less had our guys at that point.

Hopefully he finds his way on the field for the Wisconsin game & can be targeted a couple of times. Really starting to feel for the kid.

"Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.' "

That quote from Tuesday's PC really stood out to me as well. Sounds like he's just not doing enough in practice to jump over any of the guys in front of him. End of story.
BUT....BUT...THERE MUST BE CONTROVERSY!
Damn Copeland must have adopted Kirk's seniority card system like he did when he refused to play younger players like Brandon Smith and ISM over vets like Dafney and Young.... oh wait.

Well he is in the Martin case for sure. Oh wait, Ragaini and Tracy are younger/same age as him? Well damn, that kinds shoots that down.

As stated above, the coaches are comfortable with their 3 WRs (ISM, Ragaini, and Tracy).

They also discussed 2 other receiving options:

* True Freshman TE Sam Laporta -- apparently KF stated in Tuesday's press conference that Laporta kinda forced the coaches to play him based on how he was performing in practice. And look how he performed at N'western.

Mark Emmert stated that when Iowa went to ONE tight end, who was in the game? Not Beyer; it was Laporta; so Sam probably has passed Beyer on the depth chart.

* True Freshman Tyler Goodson -- lets face it; he has impressed when going out for passes and you want the ball in play makers' hands

just a few points:

* how you perform in practice matters. we have no idea what's going on there, of course

* who, of the WRs, is not performing right now? i guess you could say Ragaini (with the drops)

* now they are having Goodson lining out wide; i think that is a good thing. he is a proven play maker and he can catch the ball

* there is only one ball to go around

Just a reminder of why Oliver did not see the field much this season

Not sure why this continues to be such a hot topic of conversation. Oliver is 5th on the depth chart. Plain and simple.

From an Oct 31 KxNO / Hawk Central podcast:

Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register said all they can report is what the coaches are saying. Chad then stated "I thought Copeland was more open about it than anyone's been. It sounded like to me he just hasn't progressed....He hasn't progressed enough to get on the field."

* Mark Emmert then chimed in and said he didn't think there was any other explanation other than Oliver Martin is the 5th best WR in the room (after Brandon, ISM, Tracy & Ragaini).

* Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.'

* Mark then said he thinks its clear Oliver's got an opportunity this week (the bye week before Wisconsin) and the coaches are looking for him to step up if he really wants to play. Mark said that if Oliver plays at Wisconsin we know that Oliver did step it up in practice during this bye week.

LINK to Listen for yourself (Skip ahead to the 6:37 mark): https://soundcloud.com/hawk-central-hour

Also, as a wide receiver at Iowa, you are required to block. Some of these tweets are telling. In the last tweet Copeland emphasizes that guys need to buy in to that (blocking) in order to play.

Last edited:
I would think that assertions from both sides would bother you then? Especially the side that says maybe he isnt as good as we all thought? Maybe the other guys are just better?

Harb just thinks the kid should get more playing time, so hes the only one you call out?

I am in the camp of why didnt OM get more playing time? Makes one wonder and I think both sides of this argument have no idea but would like to know...

In reality we are fans and it is none of our beeswax...

Hello, you lazy bastard ;)

See the previous post in this thread. I think you will see that Copeland pretty much came out in late October and said what is holding Oliver back. Hope that helps

Reactions: WestIAHawk
I'm tired of hearing all this "takes a long time to learn the playbook" bs.

There are TRUE FRESHMAN out there playing at HIGH levels every single year. QB, RB, WR, you name it.

Last edited:
I'm tired of hearing all this "takes a long time to learn the playbook bs".

There are TRUE FRESHMAN out there playing at HIGH levels every single year. QB, RB, WR, you name it.
When Brandon Smith was injured, we saw Tyler Goodson, a true freshman, running pass patterns. And catching the ball. We didn't see Oliver Martin out there.

Why do you think that was the case?

When Brandon Smith was injured, we saw Tyler Goodson, a true freshman, running pass patterns. And catching the ball. We didn't see Oliver Martin out there.

Why do you think that was the case?

Because OM wasn't good enough to be on the field.

One...more...time...for those who insist on keeping this alive.

There is no mystery or big conspiracy here. A few weeks back Copeland said, among other things, "I like the kid off the field." In other words, OM is not doing enough in practice or preparation to pass the guys ahead of him.

End.
Of.
Farking.
Story.

Agree 100%. This is post 970. See post 964 above. I posted all of that info in this thread on October 29 and Nov 1 (skim thru page 24). That was 6 weeks ago.

And now, 6 weeks later, a thread is started where the posters says, and I quote, "It is now very clear that Oliver Martin should have been on the field all year long."

Unbelievable.

cc: @FlickShagwell

I have literally never heard a Hawkeye coach say that. Its all Hawkeye fans projecting.

Show me a quote of a Hawkeye coach saying that.

I have literally never heard a Hawkeye coach say that. Its all Hawkeye fans projecting.

The closest I have seen is this.

Instead of it "takes a long time to learn the playbook," Copeland has been quoted saying that "It takes a lot to learn what's being asked of you on a day-to-day basis."

Where that quote came from:

There's a quote above on this page.

Copeland on Oliver Martin: "Everybody wants Oliver to play right now, and it's kind of unfair. It takes a lot to learn what's being asked of you on a day-to-day basis."

Copeland on Oliver Martin: "Everybody wants Oliver to play right now, and it's kind of unfair. It takes a lot to learn what's being asked of you on a day-to-day basis."

That's not really the same as "can't learn the playbook." Sounds to me like he's struggling to understand what's expected of him as a part of this program (work ethic, attitude, commitment, etc.) and maybe isn't working as hard as he should be. Goes right along with Copeland's quote about liking him off the field.

That says absolutely zero about the playbook. Thanks for playing.

2014 Ferentz mentioned it pertaining to Damond Powell. Can’t link on phone.

When Iowa was 2-0 with the ISU game ahead, this was written in HawkCentral:

Sep 12, 2019

Some insight into Oliver Martin’s usage

Copeland’s position group has been one of the many bright spots in Iowa’s 2-0 start. His top five receivers each have at least four receptions, and they’ve accounted for all six of Nate Stanley’s touchdown passes. Historically a position of weakness, wide receiver now looks like a Hawkeye strength.

Copeland, who deserves a lot of credit for turning that room around, said he wasn’t surprised at the production of Ihmir Smith-Marsette (a team-high eight catches for 148 yards and three touchdowns), Brandon Smith (5-48-1), Nico Ragaini (4-66-0), Tyrone Tracy Jr. (4-64-1) and Martin (4-24-1).

But …

“It’s a typical coach’s answer,” he said. “but I’m not satisfied. We can do better in a lot of different areas.”

On the topic of Martin, the Michigan transfer and Iowa City West product, we asked Copeland about why his snap count is in the low 30s (against an average of 76.5 for the other four) in the early going.

“That’s a really fair question,” Copeland said. “The thing that people don’t realize, when a young man comes into a program … it takes time to learn the system. I explain to people who don’t follow college football and who aren’t in our building every day, when you learn a system it’s literally like learning a new language. Different words mean different things in the playbook. Just that in of itself, it takes time. You’re not going to learn a new language overnight.”

Iowa is teaching Martin all three receiver positions, which adds to the redshirt sophomore’s learning curve. We haven't seen a ton of Martin so far, but that doesn't mean we won't see him play an increasingly important role as his season (and career) progresses.

“He’s doing a really good job. He really is. That’s why you have seen him have plays and productivity and touches with the football,” Copeland said. “The last thing you’ve got to realize is we’ve got some really good players already in the receiver room.

“And there’s only one football on each play.”

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...e-hawkeyes-kirk-ferentz-receivers/2299350001/

Reactions: BronxHawkeye
Willie Guy 2...never going to live up to the hype. Unfair to him as a player..congrats to those who worked hard enough to earn a spot on the field.

Didn't seem to take Bell long to learn Purdue's offense. Theirs must not be nearly as complex as Iowa's 98th-ranked offense.

Willie Guy 2...never going to live up to the hype. Unfair to him as a player..congrats to those who worked hard enough to earn a spot on the field.

Willie Guy was like the top WR recruit in the country that Hayden Fry somehow lured from Texas to Iowa City. Oliver Martin is a 4-star recruit (who should have been a 3-star in all reality) who grew up in the shadows of Kinnick Stadium. I really don’t see the comparison whatsoever. Lots of dudes are overhyped.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Willie Guy was like the top WR recruit in the country that Hayden Fry somehow lured from Texas to Iowa City. Oliver Martin is a 4-star recruit (who should have been a 3-star in all reality) who grew up in the shadows of Kinnick Stadium. I really don’t see the comparison whatsoever. Lots of dudes are overhyped.
Willie Guy was a QB in high school, I believe, that never fully made the transition to wr. Not unheard of.

We've got three game changing wide receivers. Three. And another that's as dependable as most of the receivers that we've had in the Ferentz era. Yet, we're talking about another guy. What's wrong with Oliver Martin? Where is Oliver Martin? When will we see Oliver Martin? Who gives a damn?? We don't need him.

Willie Guy was like the top WR recruit in the country that Hayden Fry somehow lured from Tennessee to Iowa City. Oliver Martin is a 4-star recruit (who should have been a 3-star in all reality) who grew up in the shadows of Kinnick Stadium. I really don’t see the comparison whatsoever. Lots of dudes are overhyped.

FIFY

Look at the pass receiving options coming back next year:
Brandon Smith
ISM
Tracy
Ragaini
Tyler Goodson coming out of the backfield
LaPorta at Tight End

Do you agree with this? The best wideout core returning in school history?

Martin was not even mentioned as one of our returning players to watch:

Brandon Smith
ISM
Tracy
Ragaini
Tyler Goodson coming out of the backfield
LaPorta at Tight End

Bump all you want as you take sloppy thirds.
Just relax and enjoy a trip down memory lane. I recommend starting at Page 1 and work your way, post by post, through all 25 pages. The drama is palpable. It reeds like a Broadway play.... anticipation mixed with skepticism to open; then the excitement builds tempered only by the need for certainty .... and then, suddenly, certainty arrives! the news produces a spontaneous outpouring of glee; good fortune is celebrated, the future looks bright..... but slowly, agonizingly, hope and expectations give way to doubt, then disappointment; finally: bewilderment and disgust as the main character leaves the family to join an antagonistic neighbor........ tragedy, comedy, highs and lows, its all there!!

....also, Fran dropped the ball - updates at every stage and he missed a big one, to wit: the tweet about Oliver Martin's decision to transfer to Nebraska.

Good luck to him. Oliver seems like a nice young man with big play potential. I hope he has great personal success (accept vs. the Hawks) going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT