ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Note that Copeland talked today at length about how important it is for his receivers to be good run-blockers. Says his guys need to buy in to that in order to play.

Note that we might see Tyler Goodson playing out wide.

Last edited:
Yes I’m sure the complex air attack from Iowa has been too tough for Oliver to learn and that’s why he isn’t playing. What a waste of a year of eligibility
just a few points:

* how you perform in practice matters. we have no idea what's going on there, of course

* who, of the WRs, is not performing right now? i guess you could say Ragaini (with the drops)

* now they are having Goodson lining out wide; i think that is a good thing. he is a proven play maker and he can catch the ball

* there is only one ball to go around

just a few points:

* how you perform in practice matters. we have no idea what's going on there, of course

* who, of the WRs, is not performing right now? i guess you could say Ragaini (with the drops)

* now they are having Goodson lining out wide; i think that is a good thing. he is a proven play maker and he can catch the ball

Not that I think you're bagging on him, but this weekend was Nico's first bad outing. The rest of the year he's been pretty darn good.

As for those who think Martin is getting slighted, it's pretty simple. There's not enough catches to go around.

Nate Stanley leads the Big Ten in passing yards, and our WRs are unquestionably the best they've been since probably 2011. There's just no WR on the field right now that you can justifiably take snaps away from for Oliver Martin.

Yes I’m sure the complex air attack from Iowa has been too tough for Oliver to learn and that’s why he isn’t playing. What a waste of a year of eligibility

There's something weird about all of this. We have a receiver go down and so they're going to use a RB as a receiver. The whole "receivers need to be a run-blocker to play" doesn't make sense because the times I've seen Martin in the game, it's usually a run play. Then Martin goes out.

Reactions: percyland
Not that I think you're bagging on him, but this weekend was Nico's first bad outing. The rest of the year he's been pretty darn good.

As for those who think Martin is getting slighted, it's pretty simple. There's not enough catches to go around.

Nate Stanley leads the Big Ten in passing yards, and our WRs are unquestionably the best they've been since probably 2011. There's just no WR on the field right now that you can justifiably take snaps away from for Oliver Martin.
No, I agree with you. Oliver is the #5 WR. Who above him has not performed?

There are several people on here unhappy that Oliver is not seeing the field. Reporters again today asked about Martin.

But, like you said, who do you sit / punish?

And now that they are thinking about putting Tyler Goodson out wide more, that could really make things worse for Oliver.

People just need to give it a rest on Martin. He was way too hyped up as a transfer just because of his HS ranking and the fact he is a local kid.
Yep. He will be on the field when he’s good enough or needed.

If Martin isn't good enough, then tell us!! I get so sick of this "its take time to learn" BULLSHIT!

Why the hell are so many other teams able to get 1st year WR on the field and making impacts???
Man purdue is just lucky as crap that Rondale is so much more intelligent than a guy like Martin!!

People just need to give it a rest on Martin. He was way too hyped up as a transfer just because of his HS ranking and the fact he is a local kid.
Could be, but then say that instead of the "oh he is still learning the plays" crap.....

just a few points:

Only one ball to go around but not giving him any experience in the system makes no sense. You want him to be ready to play but won’t give him any snaps? I watched Michigan games that he played (and scored touchdowns in) he isn’t a chump

Reactions: Front7
You really think KF (or any coach) is going to say that he was overhyped? Would you rather they said "he's behind the other guys"...actually BF already said that but it wasn't sufficient for this messageboard.
The guy gets on the field early in his career at Michigan, AND produces. We all know there are numerous elite athletes competing for Michigan football every year. Oliver practiced with/against them and performed well enough to get solid minutes and targets.

There is zero chance he is/was overhyped. There's also zero chance he hasn't learned the "day-to-day."

I get a lot of us are "beating a dead horse" with this but it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
The guy gets on the field early in his career at Michigan, AND produces. We all know there are numerous elite athletes competing for Michigan football every year. Oliver practiced with/against them and performed well enough to get solid minutes and targets.

There is zero chance he is/was overhyped. There's also zero chance he hasn't learned the "day-to-day."

I get a lot of us are "beating a dead horse" with this but it doesn't make sense.

Saw most of his time when there were injuries or blowouts. Only had 11 catches. Yes you are beating a dead horse. It does make sense.

Reactions: OILCHECKER

What an unfair statement. You don’t attend practice. You don’t attend meetings. You don’t know Iowa’s playbook. You don’t know anything...outside of the fact that Martin doesn’t get significant reps.

What an unfair statement. You don’t attend practice. You don’t attend meetings. You don’t know Iowa’s playbook. You don’t know anything...outside of the fact that Martin doesn’t get significant reps.
I know the that KF has a tendency to play favorites and sitting on guys for too long. So you must be one of the few last year when that was fine when Noah Fant played like 10 snaps against Northwestern and we lost the game

Reactions: garberhawkeye
I know the that KF has a tendency to play favorites and sitting on guys for too long. So you must be one of the few last year when that was fine when Noah Fant played like 10 snaps against Northwestern and we lost the game
You ever think Fant didn't earn the right to play more snaps?
Maybe he was being lazy, maybe a bad teammate, maybe something else maybe a combo. Who knows.....

Good chance there was a reason he was a "favorite"....because he didn't earn it? ;)

Maybe he was being lazy, maybe a bad teammate, maybe something else maybe a combo. Who knows.....

Good chance there was a reason he was a "favorite"....because he didn't earn it? ;)
That makes me feeling better about losing to Northwestern for the 3rd time in a row

You have what you think you know. You don’t know why about anything. Nobody outside of the program does. Therefore, making conclusions and/or pointing fingers is unfair and illogical.

Who would you bench to put OM in? People keep complaining that he is not playing, but I go down the list and I would not sit any of our top 3 for him right now.

Reactions: David1979
I'll say I'd bench Nico or at least split his reps. I'm not asking for Oliver to start, I'm asking for him to get at least 10 snaps a game.

I don't know what Oliver can or can't do but his pedigree is pretty solid. None of us do and neither do the coaches in a game. We have seen drops from Tracy (who played great last week) and drops from Nico last week.

This is an honest question, with all things being equal eligibility wise, who has the highest upside? I think Martin's tools out of hs might be better and he is not getting an equal shot to develop.

Also... I absolutely do not want to hear about the playbook anymore. Everyone likes to compare KF to the "Patriot way" and Sanu had multiple snaps after walking into the team in the middle of the week.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Who would you bench to put OM in? People keep complaining that he is not playing, but I go down the list and I would not sit any of our top 3 for him right now.
How do we know? We haven’t seen him. He’s only gone out for a pass like 3 times and one catch was for a touchdown. As the poster above said it’s not like we are lighting the scoreboard up, he must be very far behind if he’s not playing any meaningful snaps but I don’t believe that

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Prior to Saturday Tracy had a few bad drops. It has been interesting to watch the 'sharp guy, we have him learning all 3 positions' progress to 'gee the playbook has a lot to it' We don't get to watch practice so it's very true that we don't know what the situation is. I do however doubt that Harbaugh put OM at the top of the depth chart hoping or knowing he was going to transfer out of the school. He must have had some chops to get to that level. Perhaps if the playbook wasn't so 'complex' there might be a little more success to it. There is something to be said about having players 'think too much' rather than play. It will continue to be interesting as both sides of this equation dig in. For those that don't think that KF hears that chatter and that it is in his mind.....

How do we know? We haven’t seen him. He’s only gone out for a pass like 3 times and one catch was for a touchdown. As the poster above said it’s not like we are lighting the scoreboard up, he must be very far behind if he’s not playing any meaningful snaps but I don’t believe that
The team not lighting up the scoreboard has more to do with play calling and O line play than the WR's.

Reactions: iafan44

Earned top 20 pick in draft. Kirk doesn't maximize his talent, it's nothing new. Epenesa sat behind Parker Hesse....come on. He'll, it took Beathard nearly transferring to get him to play. Could have 2 more high draft picks on offense and we can't hardly break 20....but shame on us for questioning these offensive geniuses

Earned top 20 pick in draft. Kirk doesn't maximize his talent, it's nothing new. Epenesa sat behind Parker Hesse....come on. He'll, it took Beathard nearly transferring to get him to play. Could have 2 more high draft picks on offense and we can't hardly break 20....but shame on us for questioning these offensive geniuses
This is exactly right. Guys on here saying trust the coaches and we aren’t there in practice. But why should we trust KFs judgement on this considering the Greg Davis years, perpetual average to below average offense and conservative play. I trust Phil Parker with defense and KF with OL play but don’t give him the nod on handling WRs.

Note that Copeland talked today at length about how important it is for his receivers to be good run-blockers. Says his guys need to buy in to that in order to play.

Note that we might see Tyler Goodson playing out wide.

So let me get this straight our wide receivers have to be good run blockers but our guards can suck a$$ and that's fine. Cop out answers

I'll say I'd bench Nico or at least split his reps. I'm not asking for Oliver to start, I'm asking for him to get at least 10 snaps a game.

I don't know what Oliver can or can't do but his pedigree is pretty solid. None of us do and neither do the coaches in a game. We have seen drops from Tracy (who played great last week) and drops from Nico last week.

This is an honest question, with all things being equal eligibility wise, who has the highest upside? I think Martin's tools out of hs might be better and he is not getting an equal shot to develop.

Also... I absolutely do not want to hear about the playbook anymore. Everyone likes to compare KF to the "Patriot way" and Sanu had multiple snaps after walking into the team in the middle of the week.

Would like to see this as well. Get him in the mix and see what he can do... At least we don't have a Grisby on the team. He dropped balls every game and took coaches half the year to make a change. He must have been one helluva blocker.

What follows is a really good discussion on Oliver Martin. It comes from Thursday evening's (Oct 31) KXNO HawkCentral radio program.

The 3 participants in the discussion: Chad Leistikow & Mark Emmert are the beat writers for the Des Moines Register. Ross Peterson of KXNO is the studio host.

Skip ahead to the 6:37 mark (link below) where they discuss the Oliver Martin situation.

What stood out to me:

* Chad pointed out that with Brandon Smith out the coaches are very comfortable going with 3 WRs: ISM, Ragaini and Tracy.

* Ross then sighs, brings up Oliver Martin, and makes some very good points. The coaches wanted Oliver eligible. The coaches trusted Oliver enough where his 1st catch as a Hawk was a TD. What happened??

* Chad said all they can report is what the coaches are saying. Chad then stated "I thought Copeland was more open about it than anyone's been. It sounded like to me he just hasn't progressed....He hasn't progressed enough to get on the field."

* Mark Emmert then chimed in and said he didn't think there was any other explanation other than Oliver Martin is the 5th best WR in the room (after Brandon, ISM, Tracy & Ragaini).

* Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.'

* Mark then said he thinks its clear Oliver's got an opportunity this week (the bye week) and the coaches are looking for him to step up if he really wants to play. Mark said that if Oliver plays at Wisconsin we know that Oliver did step it up in practice during this bye week.

LINK to Listen for yourself (Skip ahead to the 6:37 mark): https://soundcloud.com/hawk-central-hour

Reactions: Hawk24
What follows is a really good discussion on Oliver Martin. It comes from Thursday evening's (Oct 31) KXNO HawkCentral radio program.

The 3 participants in the discussion: Chad Leistikow & Mark Emmert are the beat writers for the Des Moines Register. Ross Peterson of KXNO is the studio host.

Skip ahead to the 6:37 mark (link below) where they discuss the Oliver Martin situation.

What stood out to me:

* Chad pointed out that with Brandon Smith out the coaches are very comfortable going with 3 WRs: ISM, Ragaini and Tracy.

* Ross then sighs, brings up Oliver Martin, and makes some very good points. The coaches wanted Oliver eligible. The coaches trusted Oliver enough where his 1st catch as a Hawk was a TD. What happened??

* Chad said all they can report is what the coaches are saying. Chad then stated "I thought Copeland was more open about it than anyone's been. It sounded like to me he just hasn't progressed....He hasn't progressed enough to get on the field."

* Mark Emmert then chimed in and said he didn't think there was any other explanation other than Oliver Martin is the 5th best WR in the room (after Brandon, ISM, Tracy & Ragaini).

* Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.'

* Mark then said he thinks its clear Oliver's got an opportunity this week (the bye week) and the coaches are looking for him to step up if he really wants to play. Mark said that if Oliver plays at Wisconsin we know that Oliver did step it up in practice during this bye week.

LINK to Listen for yourself (Skip ahead to the 6:37 mark): https://soundcloud.com/hawk-central-hour

"Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.' "

That quote from Tuesday's PC really stood out to me as well. Sounds like he's just not doing enough in practice to jump over any of the guys in front of him. End of story.

Reactions: Franisdaman
"Mark said that he thought it was really telling when Copeland said on Tuesday that 'I really like the kid off the field.' "

That quote from Tuesday's PC really stood out to me as well. Sounds like he's just not doing enough in practice to jump over any of the guys in front of him. End of story.

BUT....BUT...THERE MUST BE CONTROVERSY!

Damn Copeland must have adopted Kirk's seniority card system like he did when he refused to play younger players like Brandon Smith and ISM over vets like Dafney and Young.... oh wait.

Well he is in the Martin case for sure. Oh wait, Ragaini and Tracy are younger/same age as him? Well damn, that kinds shoots that down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT