ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

At B1G media day Harbaugh said he has no say in it and if he did he’d let each player transfer one time without penalty.

Regardless what Harbaugh said, Michigan is involved. I do like how he phrased it though, does he personally have a say, no. The former school IS consulted.

It spells out the process on the link I've provided.

Do they pay the same amount that any student would pay, or does the athletic department get a discount?

Is there any difference in what the athletic department pays, for an out of state scholarship athlete versus an in state one?

My understanding is that the costs for athletes are the same as for any other student. For example, Dillon Doyle is an in-state student so the athletic department would pay the UI general fund the cost for in-state tuition (plus room and board if he lives in the dorms). The same would hold true for out-of-state athletes...the the athletic dept. would pay the cost of non-resident tuition etc.

. Previous school’s position

Previous school’s position

Going to go out and a limb and say this means the previous schools position on the transfer:rolleyes:
No, it would be more fact based vs opinion (UM’s position or feelings). I guess they could lie about things though.

On ncaa.org I found the previous school’s AD has to submit whether the athlete could return to the team, if dismissed then the date, if in good academic standing at time of departure, and reasons athlete gave former school for transfer.

On ncaa.org I found the previous school’s AD has to submit whether the athlete could return to the team, if dismissed then the date, if in good academic standing at time of departure, and reasons athlete gave former school for transfer.
Hopefully Michigan was not an ass about it!

Kirk Ferentz says NCAA only recently received Oliver Martin petition
Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The paperwork has been submitted, but only recently, in the quest to gain wide-receiver transfer Oliver Martin immediate eligibility for the Iowa football program.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said the petition to the NCAA, which is largely in the hands of the UI compliance office (and an attorney hired by the Martin family), was filed "within the last two weeks." So it’s a misnomer to suggest the NCAA has been sitting on the former Michigan receiver’s case.

What took so long? Ferentz didn't offer that information. Nor does he have any clue what the NCAA will rule.

“Oliver doesn’t have any information; I don’t have any information,” Ferentz said during Iowa’s media day Friday. “There’s not much we can do. So, we’ll just remain neutral. I’d like to be optimistic, but I don’t have any grounds for that.”

Martin continues to practice well, Ferentz said. But with the season approaching fast, a quick ruling either way would help coaches determine whether Martin will be part of the 2019 plans as a redshirt sophomore or whether he’ll have to sit out until 2020.

Iowa is seven practices into fall camp, and its season opener is Aug. 31 against Miami of Ohio.

“If he can get eligibility,” Ferentz said. “I certainly think he’ll help our football team this year.”

Martin, the former Iowa City West standout, joined the Hawkeyes in early June after two years at Michigan and a quick stay in the NCAA transfer portal. Iowa was his first choice, and he was immediately welcomed back to his hometown.

On our Hawk Central radio show in June, wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland said Martin had been doing well. As for his eligibility, he said then: "Either way, he’s going to contribute. He’s going to help the program."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-media-day-michigan-transfer/1969080001/

Kirk Ferentz says NCAA only recently received Oliver Martin petition
Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The paperwork has been submitted, but only recently, in the quest to gain wide-receiver transfer Oliver Martin immediate eligibility for the Iowa football program.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said the petition to the NCAA, which is largely in the hands of the UI compliance office (and an attorney hired by the Martin family), was filed "within the last two weeks." So it’s a misnomer to suggest the NCAA has been sitting on the former Michigan receiver’s case.

What took so long? Ferentz didn't offer that information. Nor does he have any clue what the NCAA will rule.

“Oliver doesn’t have any information; I don’t have any information,” Ferentz said during Iowa’s media day Friday. “There’s not much we can do. So, we’ll just remain neutral. I’d like to be optimistic, but I don’t have any grounds for that.”

Martin continues to practice well, Ferentz said. But with the season approaching fast, a quick ruling either way would help coaches determine whether Martin will be part of the 2019 plans as a redshirt sophomore or whether he’ll have to sit out until 2020.

Iowa is seven practices into fall camp, and its season opener is Aug. 31 against Miami of Ohio.

“If he can get eligibility,” Ferentz said. “I certainly think he’ll help our football team this year.”

Martin, the former Iowa City West standout, joined the Hawkeyes in early June after two years at Michigan and a quick stay in the NCAA transfer portal. Iowa was his first choice, and he was immediately welcomed back to his hometown.

On our Hawk Central radio show in June, wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland said Martin had been doing well. As for his eligibility, he said then: "Either way, he’s going to contribute. He’s going to help the program."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-media-day-michigan-transfer/1969080001/
As has been mentioned in another thread, I'd imagine hiring a lawyer probably slowed up the filing of the paperwork. Just causes a lot more t's to be crossed and i's to be dotted. Hopefully it was worth it.......

Reactions: Franisdaman
Like the comment about can’t be optimistic based on the history with Iowa, NCAA and waivers. A subtle dig at the NCAA.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I believe the Athletic Department is a completely separate, not-for-profit entity financially. Not a shell game. And the University takes some of the AD's income. They share fund raising so that is inevitable.

I can't find the athletic departments 990 report. Who hires the AD? The University of Iowa just gave him an extension. The athletic department pays their bills and has been donating money to the general fund for the past couple of years.

I can't find the athletic departments 990 report. Who hires the AD? The University of Iowa just gave him an extension. The athletic department pays their bills and has been donating money to the general fund for the past couple of years.
Not sure they have to file a 990, good luck finding that. And as far as your questions, do your own research.

Well that clarifies a little bit I guess now we get to hold our dick in our hands for another two to three weeks brother

Not sure they have to file a 990, good luck finding that. And as far as your questions, do your own research.

I did find their 1023: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/420796760

And here is their 990: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/420796760/201910889349300846/IRS990

Reactions: 2bagger22
Air - why are u trolling this? We get you don’t like Barta. This is different. Man stop being obsessed on Barta. So if Martin doesn’t get the waiver it’s on GB? Look I am not a fan of him per se but stop blaming global warming on him too.

Maybe I’m jaded, but I’m not going to pass up a chance to remind people what kind of idiot we have running this athletic dept.

The biggest thing to me is the way he seems to take his fan base for granted.

Pisses me off because when I say that I get told to follow another team. I don’t want to do that. I want my athletic dept to stop shooting themselves in the foot at every turn.

Thanks for asking so I had another chance to mention some of this. I can go on if you want me to.

Maybe I’m jaded, but I’m not going to pass up a chance to remind people what kind of idiot we have running this athletic dept.

The biggest thing to me is the way he seems to take his fan base for granted.

Pisses me off because when I say that I get told to follow another team. I don’t want to do that. I want my athletic dept to stop shooting themselves in the foot at every turn.

Thanks for asking so I had another chance to mention some of this. I can go on if you want me to.

Your drivel is off topic. Start a thread about it or go away.

Those are for the University of Iowa Foundation. Which now has a new name, U of Iowa Center for Advancement.

The Athletic Department is still part of the university. They are not a stand alone organization. The AD has not received financial support from the General Fund for something like a decade.

I have read things about the AD contributing money to the General Fund, but I'm not sure if that is really happening. It may be people or organizations interpreting the tuition money the AD has to pay for its athletes as a contribution.

One more thing. For a while now, technically money is flowing from the university General Fund to the AD. Which you'll see on the USA Today list of how much support ADs receive.

This is misleading. The entire reason for the money flow is because the AD oversaw the construction of the CRWC since they have expertise in building athletic facilities. The General Fund was covering the bond obligations for the CRWC as it was paid for by student fees after the students voted to pay for it. The money transferred to the AD was for the bond payments.

One more thing. For a while now, technically money is flowing from the university General Fund to the AD. Which you'll see on the USA Today list of how much support ADs receive.

This is misleading. The entire reason for the money flow is because the AD oversaw the construction of the CRWC since they have expertise in building athletic facilities. The General Fund was covering the bond obligations for the CRWC as it was paid for by student fees after the students voted to pay for it. The money transferred to the AD was for the bond payments.
The AD is non-profit. That much is true. And they receive funding from the U of IA center.

The entire university is non profit. The AD is a subset of that.

Your forced donations for athletic tickets go to the foundation due to the design of the giant tax dodge around this kind of thing.

The entire university is non profit. The AD is a subset of that.

Your forced donations for athletic tickets go to the foundation due to the design of the giant tax dodge around this kind of thing.
What kind of "tax dodge" is there now?

All I know is that Oliver seems like a great kid. He took his shot at playing at Michigan and missed his friends and family so much that he made the right decision and came home. Can we agree that we'd like to see him do well just for himself, not just because it would make us happy as fans? I'd love to see him have a breakout year.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Leistikow: Oliver Martin's media-day presence represents Iowa football's 2019 hope — and beyond

Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 6:58 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — A young man who might not play his first snap of Iowa football until the fall of 2020 was one of the premier attractions Friday at the Hawkeyes’ annual media day.

Whatever happens with the Oliver Martin eligibility-waiver petition probably won’t make or break the Hawkeyes’ season. But his story nonetheless is a fascinating one and carries much symbolism about this Iowa team.

There's excitement about Martin, the former Iowa City West star and top 50 recruit, according to 247Sports. Bringing a wide receiver onto campus that was running atop the depth chart just a few months ago at Michigan is a big deal.

And there’s excitement about what this offense can do, not only in 2019 and going forward. Martin’s presence on media day represented that, too.

To see Martin, a chiseled 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds, happily donning a No. 5 Hawkeye uniform is positive imagery for Iowa football. This hardly feels like a stale program in Year 21 under Kirk Ferentz; it's one that is attractive to players even from a more storied Big Ten school.

“It feels like a good fit being back,” Martin said as he stood in front of countless reporters wanting to hear his side of the transfer story. “Overall, I’m very happy being here. I think it’s a good thing to be here."

Martin was careful with his words and politely declined his rationale for leaving Michigan, while possibly losing a year of college eligibility in the process.

“I appreciate your interest on the topic,” he said, “but I just don’t really want to go into the details.”

In fact, he went out of his way to fondly speak of his days at Michigan. This was hardly the sound of a young man who hated his experience under Jim Harbaugh; it sounded like a guy who needed a fresh start.

When he told Michigan coaches he wanted to transfer, they implored him to stay.

“That made the decision even harder for me; talking to the coaches and having them express how they feel about me and how they envisioned me fitting into the offense over the rest of my career there,” he said. “… But at the end of the day, I thought this was where I’d best fit. And that’s why I came here.

“I’m thankful that I went to Michigan. I had a lot of great experiences there,” Martin continued. “I have a lot of great friends that I’ve made there; lifelong friends."

So about his waiver-petition with the NCAA for immediate eligibility …

Ferentz revealed that the paperwork wasn’t even filed until recently (“within the last two weeks,” he said), so the NCAA is hardly dragging its feet on the matter. The UI’s compliance office was slow to put this together; the Martin family has an attorney, too, which added an extra layer to the process.

But while he didn't provide details of his case, Martin seemed confident about it as he tried to remain patient.

“Every once in a while, I (wish) I would have had a decision made by now,” he said. “I think everything on our end was done correctly and as best we could; so I’m happy with that.”

All this talk about immediate eligibility … but could a guy that's been here only two months be able to provide an instant impact?

The coaches say, yes, absolutely.

Martin has been learning all three wide-receiver positions in a crash course to get ready for the season, in case he’s ruled eligible. He said he’s getting the most reps at the “Z” position — the same one that Ihmir Smith-Marsette plays. (Brandon Smith is No. 1 at the “X,” and Nico Ragaini and Tyrone Tracy Jr. are the top slot receivers.)

He’s a smart kid; one who started a game and caught 11 balls for Michigan as a redshirt freshman a year ago. Even if he’s not 100% acclimated for the Aug. 31 opener against Miami of Ohio — he certainly would improve his comfort level as the season goes on.

But with three weeks until the opener, the clock is ticking. And that creates a brewing dilemma for Iowa’s coaches. Pretty soon, they’ll have to streamline the practice reps for guys that are definitely playing in Week 1. That’s why, for everyone involved, a swift NCAA decision would be helpful either way.

“How do you balance that?" offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz asked. "You have to get him ready to play football. You have to get him up to speed and get him ready to go with us to the best of his ability, to the best of our ability, without sacrificing reps for guys that we know are going to play.”

Martin said he’s made a few big plays in practice so far and that he’s been met with open arms. It helped that a pair of high-school teammates, Dillon Doyle and John Milani, were here to begin the transition. He made an instant connection with Ragaini, too.

He's been an excellent culture fit. He works hard, studies the playbook. He sure seems like an easy guy to root for.

Meantime, we wait.

“He's earned their respect; he's doing a good job. And if he can get eligibility, I certainly think he'll help our football team this year,” Kirk Ferentz said. “If he doesn't, then we'll bank this year, use it as a learning year and look forward to having him (play) next season."

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...wa-footballs-2019-hope-and-beyond/1962393001/

Last edited:
There are TWO very good videos you should watch.

* Brian Ferentz discusses Martin; he's always fun to listen to. "We wouldn't bring in a 3rd year guy if we didn't think he could help us."

* Oliver speaks about his situation. As you can see, he is asked for the main reason he left Michigan for Iowa.

Oliver is a cool cat. He said "I appreciate the interest in the topic but I am not going to go into the details on that."

LINK to the 2 videos: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...wa-footballs-2019-hope-and-beyond/1962393001/

Last edited:
Epic fail is your middle name.

To keep Fran happy I just started a new thread for this subject. Chime in with some accurate facts this time.

Has anyone pressed the issue on why the paperwork was only recently filed? I get the lawyer added a layer but the process can’t take months to prepare.

Reactions: biggreydogs
Air - as I said. I am not a Barta fan. But this is not your place to stand on the hill IMO. If you think OM and his appeal has anything to do with Barta you are wrong. That’s it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT