ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Martin Updates: Dec 27: Will not play (Shoulder injury). Is 5th on Depth Chart.

Has anyone pressed the issue on why the paperwork was only recently filed? I get the lawyer added a layer but the process can’t take months to prepare.

You know Kirk. While fans are obsessing about OM getting clearance asap so they can mentally pencil him in for the Miami game, Kirk has the long view. As long as they get an answer by the opener, he will be happy. He can deal with gray areas. The fans can't. I'm sure his goal is to have Martin producing in the B1G, not worrying about the opener.

Reactions: mrF6n6
You know Kirk. While fans are obsessing about OM getting clearance asap so they can mentally pencil him in for the Miami game, Kirk has the long view. As long as they get an answer by the opener, he will be happy. He can deal with gray areas. The fans can't. I'm sure his goal is to have Martin producing in the B1G, not worrying about the opener.

I would be surprised if Kirk took the ‘don't worry, no hurry’ approach to filing the paperwork.

This may be the only time we see Oliver Martin play in 2019. But...

... He sure put on a show, with what I would call the catch of the day, a 22-yarder up the right sideline in which he leaped between defensive backs Terry Roberts and Dallas Craddieth and pulled down the ball while staying in bounds. It was a high-level play and a reminder that this Michigan transfer is really talented. I was impressed all day with his crisp routes and reliable hands.

Martin ran with the No. 2 offense (usually in three-wide sets with Tyrone Tracy Jr. and Calvin Lockett) and finished with four catches for 35 yards. He's learning fast as he awaits his NCAA eligibility fate.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...tions-hawkeyes-kids-day-scrimmage/1975242001/

Why does the NCAA make Iowa sit for a longer time about a player’s status if he could play or not such as the case with Oliver Martin unlike Ohio State where it was a quick decision that they allowed Justin Fields to play this season? This is why the NCAA heads need to have a weekly press conferences and start to answer questions from reporters!

According to Kirk the waiver was submitted a coulpe of weeks ago not a month like we all thought i guess i takes around 3 weeks we will all know soon enough

This. The bigger question is why did it take so long to get Martin's paperwork submitted?

This has already been discussed, 3 days ago, starting on Friday.

See Post # 253 on Page 7, and read from there. Yes, Martin's lawyer was heavily involved.

That post from 3 days ago, again, was this (and then read the posts that follow that further discuss this issue):

Kirk Ferentz says NCAA only recently received Oliver Martin petition
Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The paperwork has been submitted, but only recently, in the quest to gain wide-receiver transfer Oliver Martin immediate eligibility for the Iowa football program.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said the petition to the NCAA, which is largely in the hands of the UI compliance office (and an attorney hired by the Martin family), was filed "within the last two weeks." So it’s a misnomer to suggest the NCAA has been sitting on the former Michigan receiver’s case.

What took so long? Ferentz didn't offer that information. Nor does he have any clue what the NCAA will rule.

“Oliver doesn’t have any information; I don’t have any information,” Ferentz said during Iowa’s media day Friday. “There’s not much we can do. So, we’ll just remain neutral. I’d like to be optimistic, but I don’t have any grounds for that.”

Martin continues to practice well, Ferentz said. But with the season approaching fast, a quick ruling either way would help coaches determine whether Martin will be part of the 2019 plans as a redshirt sophomore or whether he’ll have to sit out until 2020.

Iowa is seven practices into fall camp, and its season opener is Aug. 31 against Miami of Ohio.

“If he can get eligibility,” Ferentz said. “I certainly think he’ll help our football team this year.”

Martin, the former Iowa City West standout, joined the Hawkeyes in early June after two years at Michigan and a quick stay in the NCAA transfer portal. Iowa was his first choice, and he was immediately welcomed back to his hometown.

On our Hawk Central radio show in June, wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland said Martin had been doing well. As for his eligibility, he said then: "Either way, he’s going to contribute. He’s going to help the program."

LINK to the Story:
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-media-day-michigan-transfer/1969080001/

I do believe that the Hawkeyes will start game planning for the Miami Redhawks on the 25th... and we should know by then the decision of eligibility... therefore no worries... nothing hurt
the Iowa Hawkeyes will be well prepared to display the most dynamic Wide Receiving corp in Hawkeye history starting August 31.

Oliver is learning all 3 WR positions, too; so if he does get clearance to play this year, excitement/expectations are gonna be over the top

TE production probably will be down this year so the WRs are gonna have to step up

Reactions: mrF6n6
This has already been discussed, 3 days ago, starting on Friday.

See Post # 253 on Page 7, and read from there. Yes, Martin's lawyer was heavily involved.

That post from 3 days ago, again, was this (and then read the posts that follow that further discuss this issue):

Kirk Ferentz says NCAA only recently received Oliver Martin petition
Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published Aug. 9, 2019, 2:25 p.m. CT

IOWA CITY, Ia. — The paperwork has been submitted, but only recently, in the quest to gain wide-receiver transfer Oliver Martin immediate eligibility for the Iowa football program.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said the petition to the NCAA, which is largely in the hands of the UI compliance office (and an attorney hired by the Martin family), was filed "within the last two weeks." So it’s a misnomer to suggest the NCAA has been sitting on the former Michigan receiver’s case.

What took so long? Ferentz didn't offer that information. Nor does he have any clue what the NCAA will rule.

“Oliver doesn’t have any information; I don’t have any information,” Ferentz said during Iowa’s media day Friday. “There’s not much we can do. So, we’ll just remain neutral. I’d like to be optimistic, but I don’t have any grounds for that.”

Martin continues to practice well, Ferentz said. But with the season approaching fast, a quick ruling either way would help coaches determine whether Martin will be part of the 2019 plans as a redshirt sophomore or whether he’ll have to sit out until 2020.

Iowa is seven practices into fall camp, and its season opener is Aug. 31 against Miami of Ohio.

“If he can get eligibility,” Ferentz said. “I certainly think he’ll help our football team this year.”

Martin, the former Iowa City West standout, joined the Hawkeyes in early June after two years at Michigan and a quick stay in the NCAA transfer portal. Iowa was his first choice, and he was immediately welcomed back to his hometown.

On our Hawk Central radio show in June, wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland said Martin had been doing well. As for his eligibility, he said then: "Either way, he’s going to contribute. He’s going to help the program."

LINK to the Story:
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...pdate-media-day-michigan-transfer/1969080001/

I didn’t see the answer to the ‘why’ aspect other than the lawyer was involved. Hopefully he didn’t use the attorney either from the U or their recommended one. The track record for those is pretty poor. Other requests from other schools appear to be quicker.

I didn’t see the answer to the ‘why’ aspect other than the lawyer was involved. Hopefully he didn’t use the attorney either from the U or their recommended one. The track record for those is pretty poor. Other requests from other schools appear to be quicker.
From the article, the reporters did ask why it took so long to file. KF would not elaborate.

this was what Chad reported in his column:

From the article, the reporters did ask why it took so long to file. KF would not elaborate.

this was what Chad reported in his column:

Thank you for confirming that the ‘why’ question that is being asked remains unanswered.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Thank you for confirming that the ‘why’ question that is being asked remains unanswered.
Yeah, for whatever reason, KF is not offering a timeline of the filing process. We can only speculate.

People like to be critical of the reporters. The reporters asked the question; if KF does not answer, what do they do? Unfortunately, the reporters have to move on and ask a different question.

Yeah, for whatever reason, KF is not offering a timeline of the filing process. We can only speculate.

People like to be critical of the reporters. The reporters asked the question; if KF does not answer, what do they do? Unfortunately, the reporters have to move on and ask a different question.

the reporters could get physical with the coaches...
they might get some answers that way.

Reactions: flyfishstout_CO
The coaching staff has nothing to do with the paperwork. Martin's lawyer and the Compliance department. With a lawyer being involved, that should explain the delay in filing.

My bad, I realized that coaches didn’t file the paperwork. I didn’t realize he would have no input with Jeff, the lawyers and compliance. Thank you for the education.
It doesn’t seem to take this amount of time to file at other schools, even with attorneys.

A lot of times the final paperwork takes awhile to get submitted because the two sides are working together on what is needed. For example, Martin's attorney likely put something together and contacted person x at NCAA and said ok here is what we have, do we need anything else for you to review this, and they come back and say well we have these questions, can you get something to answer them. etc etc. Until they have all the stuff they need and then they submit the final package.

My bad, I realized that coaches didn’t file the paperwork. I didn’t realize he would have no input with Jeff, the lawyers and compliance. Thank you for the education.
It doesn’t seem to take this amount of time to file at other schools, even with attorneys.

I'm sure he does have input. All I pointed out was the coaching staff are not the ones doing the waiver.

I guess I missed where I said KF had no input. Stealthy typing on my part.

I didn't see anything mentioned yet, and its a moot point, but given the timeline of 21 days (or more if the NCAA is busy) and KF's comments on it just being filed in last couple of weeks, could see something this week on Martin? A "don't hold your breath" situation but something to consider.

A lot of times the final paperwork takes awhile to get submitted because the two sides are working together on what is needed. For example, Martin's attorney likely put something together and contacted person x at NCAA and said ok here is what we have, do we need anything else for you to review this, and they come back and say well we have these questions, can you get something to answer them. etc etc. Until they have all the stuff they need and then they submit the final package.

That makes sense. Thank you for the insight.

Just to clarify, if the NCAA gives OM his waiver, doesn't the B10 still has to give him approval as well?

Ok so not sure if this is even an option or not.... if no decision is made by the first game is he allowed to play?

Yes, they did. It was initially denied and they resubmitted. Sounds as if Louisville was helpful during the resubmitted process
the first appeal was denied? that's the first of heard of this. and Oliver's lawyer was involved in the 1st appeal?

i didn't realize if you got denied you could try a 2nd time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT