ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics

Middleton just missed a wide open dunk. Send these losers home and bring a team in 2024 that gives a shit to be there.

When the Dream Team was created, how many other national teams had even one NBA player?
Anyone know?

IIRC, there were 5 NBA players at the 92 Olympics not on the US roster. This year there are, I think, 5 other teams that have at least 5 current/former NBA players. I know Nigeria has 8 and Australia has 7.

So yes, the world has cut the distance. Doesn't change the fact that the current US team is poorly constructed and thrown together at the last minute.

How much NBA talent does USA have compared to every other team playing?
More.

From wiki:
On opening day of the 1991–92 season, NBA rosters included 23 international players from 18 countries. At the start of the 2011–12 season, there were 74 players from 35 countries. Many international players credited the Dream Team as their inspiration to take up basketball.

Last season: 107 international players from 41 countries

I recognize everyone from the Dream Team is in the hall of fame except Lattner, and that's not likely the case for the team we have this year, but I'd suggest the rest of the world has improved more than USA has regressed, wouldn't you?

More.

From wiki:
On opening day of the 1991–92 season, NBA rosters included 23 international players from 18 countries. At the start of the 2011–12 season, there were 74 players from 35 countries. Many international players credited the Dream Team as their inspiration to take up basketball.

Last season: 107 international players from 41 countries

I recognize everyone from the Dream Team is in the hall of fame except Lattner, and that's not likely the case for the team we have this year, but I'd suggest the rest of the world has improved more than USA has regressed, wouldn't you?
No. The apologists have already admitted in this thread that we sent our JV squad and have been haphazardly thrown together. The current way we are running the program is why we suck.

No. The apologists have already admitted in this thread that we sent our JV squad and have been haphazardly thrown together. The current way we are running the program is why we suck.
Care to make a wager on whether our sucky team wins gold?

It is inarguable that world basketball is light years beyond where it was in 1992 and just keeps getting better by the day. It is equally inarguable that this is, with a couple of exceptions, essentially USA's B Team.

One thing Doodle noticed....not a ton of celebrating after this one. They may not be the household names we're used to seeing in a USA jersey, but they do appear to be all business right now. Maybe that bit of a chip on their shoulder due to all the recent criticism is motivating them to lock in more than they otherwise might have. We'll find out in the gold medal game. But at least we're in.

Reactions: mnHawk8
And what grand champions they’d be losing 3x in the process.

Did you use some type of random word generator to produce that post? It looks like one of those stupid facebook games where you're supposed to use the predictive text word from each letter of your name.

Probably over practicing:

When asked what happened on the exchanges, Baker said: "We are all running fast right now. Fred [Kerley] is running 9.8 and I am running 9.8. Trying to time that up perfectly with a couple of practices is tough."
They didn’t practice much and were trying different lineups to see who fit best where. It’s not a good formula. Whoever runs this piece should be fired immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT