ADVERTISEMENT

Paniro Johnson done

He might have a gambling problem? What a shame, he’s a pretty good wrestler.
Would there be other charges for tampering with records? If yes, felony or misdemeanor?

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
I would say loss of eligibility is the least of his concern considering criminal charges are being filed for concealing his identity.

He's in deep shit now.
Yeah - illegal tax avoidance is the real nasty stuff here. All this NIL money in the hands of athletes has real potential to keep the IRS really busy - and the IRS makes NCAA enforcement look like bumpkins.

Used to have a boss back in the day who said there is an imaginary bullshit light outside the door of our shop. When we f-up, that light shines bright. We’re about to find out how bright the light is for the Hawks as well.

Dresser will redshirt Paniro this year and then all of this will get swept under the rug next year. Nothing to see.

Sounds like Dresser is angry over the leaked info. Innocent until proven guilty.. Right?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Dresser will redshirt Paniro this year and then all of this will get swept under the rug next year. Nothing to see.

Sounds like Dresser is angry over the leaked info. Innocent until proven guilty.. Right?!
Paniro has a redshirt available, however the redshirt won't wipe away any suspension. If he shirts whatever suspension will still apply the next year. Or that's the way I understand it.

Paniro has a redshirt available, however the redshirt won't wipe away any suspension. If he shirts whatever suspension will still apply the next year. Or that's the way I understand it.
Not quite. He basically can't redshirt until his suspension is up. If he wants to redshirt, it would be after the term of his suspension. Doesn't make much of a difference though. Also, he might be banned permanently considering he bet on ISU.

That’s the total amount of his bets. It’s not like he plopped down $45,000 in cash. Depending on how often he won, it may not have taken more than a few hundred dollars to do this.
There is a big difference between 45k in deposits and 45k in bets. Like a previous poster said, I can make 45k in bets with a 500 deposit....if I win.

Reactions: Hawkgma and vhsalum
And, he was most likely making bets for multiple people....not good, but likely not that big of deal either
The biggest deal is that these are criminal charges - disguising identity to make bets.

And Paniro (and potentially the Iowa guys) bet on their school.

Couple of things:

1. My sympathy is with Paniro. It's hard to fault a young man from giving in to a gambling impulse, and the sports leagues and society are heavily promoting gambling these days (I still can't believe state governments promote lotteries which harm poor people and take advantage of people with gambling addictions). If you watch sports, which most college athletes probably watch a lot of, you will be hit with a barrage of sports gambling ads.

2. Agree with many of the posters that $45K in wagers is a headline grabber, but isn't really that significant a number. It means he probably lost around $2K gambling (~5% of the amount gambled).

The biggest deal is that these are criminal charges - disguising identity to make bets.

And Paniro (and potentially the Iowa guys) bet on their school.
Or was Paniro in gray shirt during his bets. The dates end 10/31/22 . So did he bet between August and October while he was a student I guess time will tell

Couple of things:

1. My sympathy is with Paniro. It's hard to fault a young man from giving in to a gambling impulse, and the sports leagues and society are heavily promoting gambling these days (I still can't believe state governments promote lotteries which harm poor people and take advantage of people with gambling addictions). If you watch sports, which most college athletes probably watch a lot of, you will be hit with a barrage of sports gambling ads.

2. Agree with many of the posters that $45K in wagers is a headline grabber, but isn't really that significant a number. It means he probably lost around $2K gambling (~5% of the amount gambled).
You are living in a fantasy land if you think someone without inside information, or not a professional gambler, could make 45K worth of bets and only lose a couple of thousand from his/her original stake. They didn't build all of those palaces out in Vegas because the vast majority of gamblers win or only lose 5% of their money.

You are living in a fantasy land if you think someone without inside information, or not a professional gambler, could make 45K worth of bets and only lose a couple of thousand from his/her original stake. They didn't build all of those palaces out in Vegas because the vast majority of gamblers win or only lose 5% of their money.
It's just math. You could flip a coin to pick which bets to make and you will lose roughly 5% of the amount you gamble. Isn't that still roughly the house take? I haven't gambled in a few decades, but a google search confirmed it's still around 5%.

5% of 45K is $2,250, so that would be the best assumption for the amount lost.

Maybe he hit a 16 game parlay.

Here’s another perspective…

2000s it wasnt me GIF

It's just math. You could flip a coin to pick which bets to make and you will lose roughly 5% of the amount you gamble. Isn't that still roughly the house take? I haven't gambled in a few decades, but a google search confirmed it's still around 5%.

5% of 45K is $2,250, so that would be the best assumption for the amount lost.
Unless you are betting on an underdog, house take is at least 10%. By your assumption, you are also guessing that a person would win multiple times before having to reload. And generally, most gamblers don't just flip a coin which would throw any long term mathematical probabilty out of the window.

Or was Paniro in gray shirt during his bets. The dates end 10/31/22 . So did he bet between August and October while he was a student I guess time will tell
This..
The whole thing outside of the misdemeanor charge will probably end up being a big nothing burger. The charge is based on placing bets under someone else's account. That's what you do when your not 21. He'll get some sort of deferred sentence and community service. Additionally, the majority of the time being looked at he was not under any NCAA rules as he was not part of any NCAA program (Gray shirting).

This..
The whole thing outside of the misdemeanor charge will probably end up being a big nothing burger. The charge is based on placing bets under someone else's account. That's what you do when your not 21. He'll get some sort of deferred sentence and community service. Additionally, the majority of the time being looked at he was not under any NCAA rules as he was not part of any NCAA program (Gray shirting).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Listen to this person^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT