ADVERTISEMENT

**Paris Olympic Wrestling**

Not if he wrestled the way he wrestled against Brooks. You can't just assume that the version of DT was going to be any better than what he was there. He was pretty quick to retire and jump into coaching. He may have known he just didn't have the desire/training/health/age to keep it going...
Maybe it's a combination of things. Taylor isn't a Spring Chicken and probably just needed to get on with his life. Not sure how much money a wrestler can make, but he got paid big time to go to oSu and begin the next chapter of his life.

Jesus must love Bulgaria more than Brooks. I don’t understand why a man of such strong faith only crosses his heart and point to the Lord in victory. :(

You are on the wrong Olympics thread...here you go:

The way that match went down - even if he held on - did not bode well for a Yazdani match imo.
Styles make matchups. Yaz goes with a ton of forward pressure and underhooks. As Brooks has shown against Hidlay, that doesn't work very well against him. Now, I am not saying Hidlay is near Yaz's level, but, conversely, the Bulgarian's style confounded Brooks and put him into very uncomfortable territory with physicality I don't think Brooks may have ever experienced.

Yaz is so good that he may very well have been Brooks, but I think Yaz would have had to weather a late storm, much like how he had lost to DT in the past. Yaz's style just isn't conducive to winning late and I am not sure he could push Brooks around the mat early, like he pretty much does to everyone else...

FIFY

$1 million salary and he got a bonus.
But, by many accounts Taylor PURSUED that. If he still had the fire in him to wrestle, he was making plenty of money to keep that focus and didn't have the need to chase that money...

But, by many accounts Taylor PURSUED that. If he still had the fire in him to wrestle, he was making plenty of money to keep that focus and didn't have the need to chase that money...

He wasn't making $1 million a year. AND - it's oklahoma state. Like I tried to tell you guys - if iowa were available/offered, he would have taken it.

Reactions: el dub
Heartsick for Aaron and Helen, but about to bust for that 9th-grader from Murrysville that my neighbor once took me to watch . . . then couldn’t stop me.

Styles make matchups. Yaz goes with a ton of forward pressure and underhooks. As Brooks has shown against Hidlay, that doesn't work very well against him. Now, I am not saying Hidlay is near Yaz's level, but, conversely, the Bulgarian's style confounded Brooks and put him into very uncomfortable territory with physicality I don't think Brooks may have ever experienced.

Yaz is so good that he may very well have been Brooks, but I think Yaz would have had to weather a late storm, much like how he had lost to DT in the past. Yaz's style just isn't conducive to winning late and I am not sure he could push Brooks around the mat early, like he pretty much does to everyone else...

It would have been a great match. I do think you're pretty much right. But Yazdani bullies EVERYONE, especially if you've never wrestled him before.

He bullied Taylor in all of his matches except 2022 and 2023. But you're right about the gas tank. Although Brooks just showed us he can get tired, which I didn't think possible this year.

He wasn't making $1 million a year. AND - it's oklahoma state. Like I tried to tell you guys - if iowa were available/offered, he would have taken it.
I think you are missing my point. I was simply saying there were many indicators that the version of DT we saw lose to Brooks wasn't going to miraculously be much better today. I absolutely think he was ready to move on with the next chapter of his life. Acting like he would be doing better than Brooks in this tournament simply because his is DT, ignores the fact that Brooks completely controlled him both matches.

Brooks is really good and should hold down 86KG for quite some time. He just ran into a physical specimen and will have to adjust if he sees him again and probably should open up his offense a bit earlier...

Reactions: vhsalum
I think you are missing my point. I was simply saying there were many indicators that the version of DT we saw lose to Brooks wasn't going to miraculously be much better today. I absolutely think he was ready to move on with the next chapter of his life. Acting like he would be doing better than Brooks in this tournament simply because his is DT, ignores the fact that Brooks completely controlled him both matches.

Brooks is really good and should hold down 86KG for quite some time. He just ran into a physical specimen and will have to adjust if he sees him again and probably should open up his offense a bit earlier...

This is likely Brooks last time at 86. He'll be at 92 next year and 97 for 2028

But you're definitely not wrong about DT. I just personally think he would have ran roughshod.

This is likely Brooks last time at 86. He'll be at 92 next year and 97 for 2028
Man, 97 kg is a LOT. I know he is big for 86, but I don't know if he has the frame for 97kg. PSU/NLWC does a great job at putting on the right kind of weight, but that is a big jump for a shorter/stockier frame...

Let’s go! Little nervous about tomorrow, but man Lee has the look back. He looks healthy, he’s moving great, he’s not looked sluggish (looked good for all 6 min in first match).

Def will be a tougher match, and anything but a gimme. But I think Spencer will bring his A game and if he does I think he’ll win.

Tough loss for Brooks. He made a folk style move at the wrong time. I’m guessing that instinct. Should’ve just backed away. Other guy was a worthy opponent though and agree with analysis by others.

Reactions: sdvike and el dub
Man, 97 kg is a LOT. I know he is big for 86, but I don't know if he has the frame for 97kg. PSU/NLWC does a great job at putting on the right kind of weight, but that is a big jump for a shorter/stockier frame...

He was up to 211 during the season. Still got chicken legs too.

For those of you that have watched Higuchi, what is the best path to victory for Spencer from a strategic stand point? Appears he’s got a nice sweep single to Spencer’s lead leg.

Higuchi has a LOT. Arm thow, drags to both sides and a HI-C and sweep single. As Japs are wont to do... has a phenomenal lace as well. See below his match with Gross. He's a willing and stubborn shooter. Doesn't turn it off no matter what.

phil-hartman-ed-mc-mahon-snl.gif

Update to best fan award standings:

The Iranians are LOUD and there are a ton of them here. And now one has removed his shirt in celebration of their gold medal in GR 67kg. Japan with a solid showing as well.

He was up to 211 during the season. Still got chicken legs too.
I don't doubt his talent or work ethic. It's simply the fact that the gap is essentially 25lbs between the 2 weights. That is essentially the equivalent of bumping from 141-165 after you are essentially 100% done growing naturally.

On top of that, you are talking about a weight where guys are walking around at 230+. I just have a REALLY hard time seeing that frame naturally holding that kind of weight. Snyder is damn near built like a professional body builder to maintain that size and he is taller.

86kg may very well be too hard for Brooks to hold, but I can definitely see him more as a tweener like Cox was. Cox was too big for 86kg, but I just don't think he ever got his body right for 97kg and he was also another guy that simply looked bigger than Brooks...

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT