ADVERTISEMENT

**Paris Olympic Wrestling**

SPENCER LEE

Sassy Oh No GIF by Nickelodeon

Anybody watch the taekwondo? It feels like leg fencing to me. Both people have their legs up and are just trying to get a poke in with their toes.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub and mjtommy
Damn.. Brooks gets turned while trying to hang on for W
Do you think he stopped wrestling or did he wear out, maybe both? It had to be close to going back to their feet, before Bulgaria was able to get the crotch lift initiated. I am feeling a bit ambivalent about the match.

Reactions: el dub
My folkstyle bias is apparent. I want scoring to have some element of control. If I trip somebody and end up on my ass it doesn't feel like I should be rewarded for that. Particularly earning 4 points. 2 would be more fair. I understand that these are the rules this is just my opinion.

But that was a beautiful counter by the other guy. He initiated it, no accident.

Do you think he stopped wrestling or did he wear out, maybe both? It had to be close to going back to their feet, before Bulgaria was able to get the crotch lift initiated. I am feeling a bit ambivalent about the match.
He definitely appeared to fade a bit. There was a lot of action and that flurry in the second where he didn't score and it appeared to take it out of him.

I think if he continued to hand fight and not try to stall out on a shot he likely hangs on.

Brooks with a mental error there. This isn't folkstyle. Can't sit on an ankle in freestyle against an opponent of that quality. He'll learn but that's a tough L.

Reactions: WyleC
Normally, every one of Brooks' opponents, even DT, wear out due to Brooks nonstop concrete hands to the head. In this case, the Bulgarian was able to give as much as he got and he had World Class counters to leg attacks. Once he added the bent leg turk, I think he broke Brooks with something I am not sure Brooks has ever experienced. Being out-physicalled simply isn't something that happens to Aaron....

Question about the leg turk that the Bulgarian put on Brooks: At one point, the Bulgarian was standing up with the leg turk. I thought that was a no-no. (I know Brooks didn't get turned but it appeared to suck the gas out of him.)

In the 2000 Olympics, Terry had a standing leg turk that was disallowed in the final seconds of his semifinal match against the Iranian wrestler. Would have won Terry the match as part of his furious comeback.

The only difference here is that the Bulgarian didn't start the leg turk from a standing position, but stood up only after he had already secured the leg. Is that the reason it's ok? Anyone know?

I hope Zhou wrestles back to the bronze medal match. Spencer would have went through the other two guys on the podium for the gold then. That is beating the best to be an Olympic champ.
Because of the way repechage works, it's always true that that finalists had to work through the 3rd and 5th place finishers

Normally, every one of Brooks' opponents, even DT, wear out due to Brooks nonstop concrete hands to the head. In this case, the Bulgarian was able to give as much as he got and he had World Class counters to leg attacks. Once he added the bent leg turk, I think he broke Brooks with something I am not sure Brooks has ever experienced. Being out-physicalled simply isn't something that happens to Aaron....

I think it all started when AB found himself with his head pushed under before all the actual action. He did not appear to be comfortable but also didn't get out.

Jesus must love Bulgaria more than Brooks. I don’t understand why a man of such strong faith only crosses his heart and point to the Lord in victory. :(

I hope AB addresses his faith in his interview so I can come back here, post it, and then proceed to tell you to shove it up your ass.

Reactions: AriesRam
DT got waltzed through by Brooks? Father Time caught up to him.
Maybe.

But I think AB was well-suited to beat DT and trained to do it for years, but that doesn't mean he's better than DT against the field. He needed a singlet pull to beat Valencia. I was always skeptical that he was going run through 86 like DT. I expected close matches and then a sound loss to Yazdani (like 4-1).

Yep.

DT is the better "world" wrestler. and he would have demolished this bracket.
Not if he wrestled the way he wrestled against Brooks. You can't just assume that the version of DT was going to be any better than what he was there. He was pretty quick to retire and jump into coaching. He may have known he just didn't have the desire/training/health/age to keep it going...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT