ADVERTISEMENT

**Paris Olympic Wrestling**

Styles make matchups. Yaz goes with a ton of forward pressure and underhooks. As Brooks has shown against Hidlay, that doesn't work very well against him. Now, I am not saying Hidlay is near Yaz's level, but, conversely, the Bulgarian's style confounded Brooks and put him into very uncomfortable territory with physicality I don't think Brooks may have ever experienced.

Yaz is so good that he may very well have been Brooks, but I think Yaz would have had to weather a late storm, much like how he had lost to DT in the past. Yaz's style just isn't conducive to winning late and I am not sure he could push Brooks around the mat early, like he pretty much does to everyone else...
Yazdani is the most physically imposing wrestler at the weight. If Brooks couldn't handle this guy's physicality, he wasn't going to handle Yazdani's.

Brooks beat Hidlay because he's a much better wrestler, not because of Hidlay's style. Yazdani beat Hidlay way worse than Brooks beat Hidlay.

Reactions: moug and vhsalum
Higuchi has a LOT. Arm thow, drags to both sides and a HI-C and sweep single. As Japs are wont to do... has a phenomenal lace as well. See below his match with Gross. He's a willing and stubborn shooter. Doesn't turn it off no matter what.

If Higuchi can avoid Lee's par terre, he is going to be VERY hard for Lee to beat. He has a great gas tank and is every bit as strong in the ties as Spencer. The longer into this match it gets, if Lee hasn't jumped out to a comfortable lead, the more you should start worrying ....

What time is Lee supposed to wrestle? The time said 12:35 cst but obviously that is not the case. They just had 67kg and now they are doing 87kg. They do 57kg after those?

Edit: Ok, I didn't see that the Gold medal matches are on August 9. Guess we have to wait until tomorrow.

Damn.. Brooks gets turned while trying to hang on for W
You can't dive on a leg and hope to hang on in FS. Russians, Iranians and former Soviet block countries will eat that up.

Brooks didn't finish multiple attempts early and after the leg turk he was running scared.

I guess Carl's boys can be human too.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
If Higuchi can avoid Lee's par terre, he is going to be VERY hard for Lee to beat. He has a great gas tank and is every bit as strong in the ties as Spencer. The longer into this match it gets, if Lee hasn't jumped out to a comfortable lead, the more you should start worrying ....
I remember Lee being down and almost out in one of his junior world title matches. Then Lee grabbed another gear and took away the victory late.

Let's hope Lee gets that early lead however..

I remember Lee being down and almost out in one of his junior world title matches. Then Lee grabbed another gear and took away the victory late.

Let's hope Lee gets that early lead however..
Make no mistake, I definitely wasn't counting Lee out late. I was more just giving Higuchi's best path to victory and pointing out that he will almost certainly be the toughest opponent that Lee has wrestled at the Senior Level, so far...

Make no mistake, I definitely wasn't counting Lee out late. I was more just giving Higuchi's best path to victory and pointing out that he will almost certainly be the toughest opponent that Lee has wrestled at the Senior Level, so far...
Not one of Spencer’s opponents in his freestyle career are in Higuchis tier. This is the biggest test Spencer probably ever had, Higuchi is the top 57 kg guy.

Jesus must love Bulgaria more than Brooks. I don’t understand why a man of such strong faith only crosses his heart and point to the Lord in victory. :(
Wasn't he a Russian in a Bulgarian singlet? Russians don't believe in God do they?

Reactions: el dub
sarcasm.

I took a shot too. Not mean-spirited, but AB has to own up that "God" doesn't just choose who is going to win wrestling matches.
Fair enough - God is God for a lot of people and sometimes there is a loser among them. I don't disagree with you.

Reactions: vhsalum
Some key matches I see in Higuchi’s 2023 worlds matches
Higuchi 4-1 over Zhao of China (Spencers 1st match)
Higuchi 16-14 over Harutyunyan (Spencer’s third opponent beat Harutyunyan handily)
Higuchi 11-0 over Kartby (Olympic #3 seed lost to Spencer’s 2nd opponent)

Looks good on paper.

Reactions: el dub
I think Spencer had a slightly more difficult path, but they are very similar.

I think Spencer's dynamic scrambling ability could be the difference here.
Spencer's scrambling ability and his uncanny way of adjusting on the fly is his wild card. Higuchi is the current best 57kg in the world. Tomorrow is Spencer's chance to prove that wrong. I can see him using Higuchi's aggression against him to create scrambles that Lee can score points off of. It is going to be a great test. Lee will be motivated and ready. The biggest match of his life. I can't wait!

Spencer's scrambling ability and his uncanny way of adjusting on the fly is his wild card. Higuchi is the current best 57kg in the world. Tomorrow is Spencer's chance to prove that wrong. I can see him using Higuchi's aggression against him to create scrambles that Lee can score points off of. It is going to be a great test. Lee will be motivated and ready. The biggest match of his life. I can't wait!
Spencer needs to keep his hands on him, Spencer has a trouble with quick wrestlers who shoot from space.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT