ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Duggan

Hawkeye4Life78

HR All-American
Jan 11, 2004
So where does he fit with his transfer in? What was he like out of HS? Not exactly rankings, but projections and the talk around him?

How about his little brother? Who looks like a HWT recruit...

Iowa was in on Pat back in HS but made Kemerer and Joseph a bigger priority and those three were all roughly the same size.

Can he wrestle immediately? Be a nice 141

Also assuming this means Lugo is out....even if he wasn't before...

I wouldn't make any assumptions how this will impact other people Iowa is after. Iowa isn't going to handout a large chunk of cash to a kid that went 11-11 last year. He definitely has talent, but knowing his history, I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone after a year. He could certainly make an impact if he has figured things out.

Last edited:
Congrats to Patrick. He is a good guy to have in the room. Hope he can make 141, if he is eligible it will be interesting to see if he can crack the lineup.

I wouldn't make any assumptions how this will impact other people Iowa is after. Iowa isn't going to handout a large chunk of cash to a kid that went 11-11 last year. He definitely has talent, but knowing his history, I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone after a year. He could certainly make an impact if he has figured things out.

I get that; but I doubt Lugo would come as well....just my opinion

When you transfer more than once I believe you must sit a year. At this point in his career I believe he's going to be a room guy. I don't know the situation at WVU but I thought he saw a better opportunity at starting 4 years at Lock Haven and obviously that didn't happen this season

Reactions: eobhawk
Welcome aboard Mr. Duggan. I tip my hat to anybody who walks on at the D1 level, especially knowing the amount of work put in at just the D3 level. I could see him making big leaps in our room, and who knows, his brother is a pretty highly rated recruit in PA. I don't think this affects any of Iowas other potential recruits or transfers at all.

Duggan is throwing his hat into the Iowa ring and seeing what he can do. He was very close to coming to Iowa out of high school and is looking back on it like a one who got the original answer correct but went back and erased it and put in the wrong one. If he doesn't make the lineup, at least he will have tried and I think that's all he wants.

Last edited:
More on Duggan...He beat a lot of good guys to include Young and Max Thomsen I believe. Got ground down pretty good at WVU and transferred to Lock Haven and had a roommate thing that ended up being a crazy situation...So he really hasn't had a chance to focus on developing. I think it could work out here but like IAWrestle said, it is costing Iowa $0.

His bro Francis finished third at Fargo last year at 220. To give you a guage, Wyatt Wreidt DNP'd. A growing boy so he is going to be a HWY. Very high on Iowa so take that as you will.

More on Duggan...He beat a lot of good guys to include Young and Max Thomsen I believe. Got ground down pretty good at WVU and transferred to Lock Haven and had a roommate thing that ended up being a crazy situation...So he really hasn't had a chance to focus on developing. I think it could work out here but like IAWrestle said, it is costing Iowa $0.

His bro Francis finished third at Fargo last year at 220. To give you a guage, Wyatt Wreidt DNP'd. A growing boy so he is going to be a HWY. Very high on Iowa so take that as you will.
Francis is a good college prospect but not someone who will block Parris or Schultz.

Finished 5th at 220 AAA states this year. Lost in the quarters to the 4th placer, then pinned in consis by the 3rd placer (both D1 recruits). Previously finished 195 6th (2015) and 195 7th (2016). These are good results, but someone with his hype should finish higher.

Had a good situation last year (2016): transferred to North Allegheny to practice with Jake Woodley, under Sanshiro Abe. It didn't improve his place at states. (Transferred back to the Harrisburg area last summer.)

Reactions: IAChief32
yea he didn't really need to go there.

Hypothetical situation: What if your kid told the principal that things are getting out of hand with a kid who is acting a bit off and he could be a danger to himself or others plus has a history of it. What if the principal blew it off? Said kid goes off and ends up doing all of that and more. Gets expelled and put in jail. A year later, same principal lets the same kid back in school. Wouldn't you be pissed at the school and administration? There is a little more to the story than things just didn't work out.

Reactions: FloBro
Can I call him Hacksaw?
giphy.gif

This was probably a bit more than needed to be said by Duggan, a relative nobody at this level, about a program and his coaches. Of course he CAN say whatever he wants, it's America. But if I saw a kid making these kinds of statements in public, I would think that's a bit of a red flag. Fortunately, he's not costing Iowa any money, so who cares?

This was probably a bit more than needed to be said by Duggan, a relative nobody at this level, about a program and his coaches. Of course he CAN say whatever he wants, it's America. But if I saw a kid making these kinds of statements in public, I would think that's a bit of a red flag. Fortunately, he's not costing Iowa any money, so who cares?
Why is this a "Red Flag" the kid should be commended for having the courage to remove himself from an obvious bad situation as the police report confirms. If there were more people like this calling out weak leadership and criminal activities we wouldn't have bigger issues. Too bad someone didn't speak up early on the Penn State football child molestation scandal. As for a nobody, he was a pretty accomplished high school wrestler ranked in the top 50 went to two shitty college programs and hes still chasing his dream and trucking across country to go for it at the best program so my hats off to him and I wish him the best.

The kid has talent. I have no idea what any issues may or may not have been, but I hope he has found a home.

Why is this a "Red Flag" the kid should be commended for having the courage to remove himself from an obvious bad situation as the police report confirms. If there were more people like this calling out weak leadership and criminal activities we wouldn't have bigger issues. Too bad someone didn't speak up early on the Penn State football child molestation scandal. As for a nobody, he was a pretty accomplished high school wrestler ranked in the top 50 went to two shitty college programs and hes still chasing his dream and trucking across country to go for it at the best program so my hats off to him and I wish him the best.

It's a red flag because he's blasting a coaching staff for things that, thusfar, appear to be erroneous based on the Lock Haven response, plus it's just unnecessary. He could just transfer and not say anything at all, and it's the same result. Why does he have to rip the staff and also drag Marstellar, a kid trying to turn his life around, into it? Who is he to tell a D1 head coach how to run his program?

Also, analogizing this, even at it's worst possible interpretation, to what happened at Penn State is a pretty big reach.

The kid simply gave his reason for leaving and didn't take the "PC" way out. Also, what does how well you wrestled have to do with what you can or can't say? He was part of the team and felt what was happening was literally a cancer to the team.

Also, what do you expect Lock Haven to say in response? He is absolutely correct? Of course they will respond the way they did.

I am all for giving kids another chance. As a fan I selfishly want to see Marstellar wrestle. But, I can completely understand someone on the team having Duggan's viewpoint.

Why does he have to rip the staff and also drag Marstellar, a kid trying to turn his life around, into it? Who is he to tell a D1 head coach how to run his program?

Remember that crazy roommate situation I mentioned above? I think Duggan probably knows a bit more about the situation than you.

I hope Marstellar turns his life around too but at what point do these teams stop giving kids a pass? While it might not be PSU, could have easily turned into one because you have Party A telling Party B that Party C is a serious shithead...do something about it. Party B doesn't and look what happened. What if that happened in your job? I'm thinking Duggan knew they were going to take Chance back and that's why he dropped the dime in the media.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT