ADVERTISEMENT

PD3 Wrestling

I think this is a pretty realistic assessment of where this lineup could land in March

Lee- Finalist/Champ
Laux- AA
Turk - AA
Sorenson - Finalist
Kemerer - FInalist
Marinelli - AA/Finalist
Young - AA
Wilcke - AA
PD3 - Finalist/Champ
Stoll - AA
Not only is that 10 qualifiers, that is 10 AAs. Very tall order. 33 and 41 are going to be projects this year until someone proves otherwise to me. (And obviously, I hope they do)

Lee-probably a redshirt, but even if go just coming off injury-AA yes, finalist no
Turk, Laux
Marianelli AA yes, finalist too optomistic
Wilke had a great run, no disagreement there
PD3-hmmm, depends, but doubtful he keeps away from the beer, pot, and keeps head straight

JMO
Lee wouldn't come out of redshirt unless the Brands knew he would be a champ. No way he goes just for some points in March. So IF Lee goes, he's a finalist/Champ
I still can't let go what I heard about Turk last year and how he was beating Carton in the room prior to the injury. I think if healthy, Turk is AA.
65 is the deepest weight. As of now, it goes
Imar
Joseph
Massa
Marstellar
Lewis
Marinelli
Rogers
Steirart

Lee wouldn't come out of redshirt unless the Brands knew he would be a champ. No way he goes just for some points in March. So IF Lee goes, he's a finalist/Champ
I still can't let go what I heard about Turk last year and how he was beating Carton in the room prior to the injury. I think if healthy, Turk is AA.
Imar
Joseph
Massa
Marstellar
Lewis
Marinelli
Rogers
Steirart
Lewis will be up at174.

Based on wrestlestat rankings:
125: #114 Perez. Lee redshirts, Wagner presumably gone.
133: #44 Laux (went 10-8 last year)
141: #22 Turk or #32 Happel
149: #2 Sorensen
157: #2 Kemerer
165: #20 Marinelli (12-2 last year, under-ranked because he hasn't yet beaten a top-10 guy)
174: #27 Young (20-6 last year, has only beaten one top-20 guy, who went 0-2 at NCAA)
184: #26 Wilcke (19-13 last year, good NCAA tourney)
197: Downey
285: #6 Stoll

That's 4 AAs plus several unproven guys who have yet to beat anyone that would warrant ranking them in the top 15. Downey keeps us top 3-4 in team race.
Upside Tarp!
Upside is the key word.
We have a lot of unprovens on paper coming in no doubt (Laux, Turk, Young), but their ceiling is higher imo.
If my projected roster even happens, I think that team will progress a lot on the mat and on paper

Reactions: TarpHawk
Not only is that 10 qualifiers, that is 10 AAs. Very tall order. 33 and 41 are going to be projects this year until someone proves otherwise to me. (And obviously, I hope they do)
Almost every year, I think just about every one of our guys can AA.
They have the ability to do it, it's just putting it together in on tourney for all ten guys.
Obviously not easy since it's only been done once in the history of NCAAs.

Put me down in the Laux won't AA camp. I'm not sure he has one quality win in 4 years. It's pretty unlikely that he's all the sudden going to make the podium. I could see every other wrestler (If Lee goes and we have PD3) being an AA, but I highly doubt it all happens at the same time.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Almost every year, I think just about every one of our guys can AA.
They have the ability to do it, it's just putting it together in on tourney for all ten guys.
Obviously not easy since it's only been done once in the history of NCAAs.
I think it every April. By August, I usually have figured out that it isn't happening.

Orthopaedic surgeons claim that athletes can return to competition 6 months after ACL surgery - IMO this is self-promotion. Spencer should absolutely get sit out this year or go very light. I know from experience that a hell of a lot of post-surgical gains are made in months 7-18.

Reactions: Jaybird319
Laux put up some solid fight against some elite competition last year.
I'm mainly basing his success on the fact that he'd be a 133 pounder for Iowa.
I can't remember a time when an Iowa 133 pounder wasn't in AA contention.

I guess losing 10-3 & 15-0 to NATO and Gross doesn't seem like solid fight/AA aspirations to me.

If we're not bringing in PD3 for a chance to not just get top 4 but get a team title, than there's no point in bringing him in at all than considering the risks

If we're not bringing in PD3 for a chance to not just get top 4 but get a team title, than there's no point in bringing him in at all than considering the risks
I don't know what it is, but there has to be a point otherwise Tom wouldn't consider it. You know how much Tom likes to talk about things behind the scenes so I'm certain he will share the details with us soon ;)

Imar
Joseph
Massa
Marstellar
Lewis
Marinelli
Rogers
Steirart

Let the legend of Vince Turk continue to grow. He lost a wrestle off to Carton last year.

I don't know what it is, but there has to be a point otherwise Tom wouldn't consider it. You know how much Tom likes to talk about things behind the scenes so I'm certain he will share the details with us soon ;)
I'm sure the HWC plays a pretty big factor into it as well. We know Downey has international FS aspirations.
If PD3 keeps his ego and lifestyle in check, he could do very well on the senior level all at the same time benefiting Warner, Wilcke, Holloway, and Burak in the practice room

I'm sure the HWC plays a pretty big factor into it as well. We know Downey has international FS aspirations.
If PD3 keeps his ego and lifestyle in check, he could do very well on the senior level all at the same time benefiting Warner, Wilcke, Holloway, and Burak in the practice room

If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle.

You my friend have a very crappy source.

my source was me.. I was there.. so you very well maybe right..which one has dark curly hair (smile)?
But you may be thinking of they wrestled at midlands turks true freshmen year ..Carton won that 8-7 or something like that

Question. If PD3 was enrolled at Iowa and decided to walk on, would the coaches be able to prevent it? Do they only allow so many walk ons in the room?

I see that PDIII has tweeted a lot about Iowa. Obviously we all believe he is going to end up being a Hawk. Question is when do we expect and official announcement or did I miss it?

Upside Tarp!
Upside is the key word.
We have a lot of unprovens on paper coming in no doubt (Laux, Turk, Young), but their ceiling is higher imo.
If my projected roster even happens, I think that team will progress a lot on the mat and on paper
I'd like just one season where we're ranked #1 at every weight and downside is the key word.

Hurray! PD3 has figured out a way to score 50 team points.

He doesn't need 50 team points to win a National Championship.

He says "I" not we, us, or any other vocabulary that signals a reference to any type of team accomplishment. He believes he will win the 197 pound National Title. I don't agree with him, but his confidence is admirable.

If PD3 came in, rallied the troops with a crazy positive, machismo vibe at semester, and lead the Hawks to a national title, I wouldn't hate it.

Imagine, PD3 comes in, "IT'S TIME TO WIN THIS TITLE, MOTHER%*$#ERS!" and everyone's like, "Hell $%*#in' yeah, brother!" Then they just go on a crazy run to beat Penn State and Ohio State, as PD3 hoists the plaque on ESPN for all to witness... From Unattached Assassin to National Champion. That's a great storyline.

If PD3 came in, rallied the troops with a crazy positive, machismo vibe at semester, and lead the Hawks to a national title, I wouldn't hate it.

Imagine, PD3 comes in, "IT'S TIME TO WIN THIS TITLE, MOTHER%*$#ERS!" and everyone's like, "Hell $%*#in' yeah, brother!" Then they just go on a crazy run to beat Penn State and Ohio State, as PD3 hoists the plaque on ESPN for all to witness... From Unattached Assassin to National Champion. That's a great storyline.
That wouldn't suck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT