ADVERTISEMENT

PD3 Wrestling

If PD3 came in, rallied the troops with a crazy positive, machismo vibe at semester, and lead the Hawks to a national title, I wouldn't hate it.

Imagine, PD3 comes in, "IT'S TIME TO WIN THIS TITLE, MOTHER%*$#ERS!" and everyone's like, "Hell $%*#in' yeah, brother!" Then they just go on a crazy run to beat Penn State and Ohio State, as PD3 hoists the plaque on ESPN for all to witness... From Unattached Assassin to National Champion. That's a great storyline.

Yes. That Pat Downey is clearly a natural leader.

If PD3 came in, rallied the troops with a crazy positive, machismo vibe at semester, and lead the Hawks to a national title, I wouldn't hate it.

Imagine, PD3 comes in, "IT'S TIME TO WIN THIS TITLE, MOTHER%*$#ERS!" and everyone's like, "Hell $%*#in' yeah, brother!" Then they just go on a crazy run to beat Penn State and Ohio State, as PD3 hoists the plaque on ESPN for all to witness... From Unattached Assassin to National Champion. That's a great storyline.

That's as crazy as saying that Swain can beat Shute!

Displayed tremendous leadership several months ago and picked his teammates up when they were down.

Are you serious, Clark? This isn't like the library, where all have access. Coaches decide who gets into the room, not the students.
Once again one of the boards genius replys with a smart ass comment. No wonder so many read but don't post. The guys that think they know everything but don't contribute

Reactions: el dub
What do you think #SQUAD means?

He says "yall can keep doubting me. idc. IM BRINGING THAT NATIONAL TITLE BACK TO IOWA THE SAME WAY I DID @ IOWA CENTRAL
1f4af.png
#SQUAD"

Key part to me that indicate his intentions would be "THE SAME WAY I DID @ IOWA CENTRAL"

Did Iowa Central win the Team National Championship in 2015 when Downey won his title there?

I read his "Squad" as "100 Squad" meaning he is a person who keeps it 100 or tells his true opinion all the time and doesn't sugar coat or beat around the bush. He "keeps it 100." "Real" people "Keep it 100" all the time. Those people are the "100 #squad" and Pat Downey considers himself to be a part of the "100 #squad" because he keeps it 100 all the time or he keeps it real all the time or he tells the truth about his opinions even when it isn't a popular opinion to have, never fake.

That is how I interpreted his twitter language. I could be wrong, but I asked two high schoolers and both said I was correct, soooooooooo

Reactions: just_somebody
It is absolutely mind boggling that the Iowa coaches think bringing this idiot and his idiot dad into the room is a good idea.

Is it really boggling?

If they get Downey to promise to be on his best behavior for three months they have a guy who can be an NCAA finalist. The top 3 guys returning at the weight are 1.Moore 2. Haught and 3. McCutcheon. Downey already has wins over Haught and McCutcheon and he beat Haught while supposedly being 10 pounds underweight (I don't know the truth of that, but that is what Downey has claimed supposedly). The McCucheon win was in freestyle and was quite a while ago, so maybe take that with a grain of salt, but the Haught win actually happened twice in 2015-2016 season and while Downey only had 11 total wins, 7 of them were over ranked opponents and 4 over All Americans. Downey actually pinned Haught both times they wrestled. In the 2016-2017 season Downey was at 184 pounds and never lost a match, he beat Drew Foster from Northern Iowa, who AA's as a Sophomore, but Downey only had 7 matches total.

They can give him a long list of contingencies and watch him like a hawk for 3 months then he can be gone.

Think about this on another thread people are seriously talking about who would win in a dual between Iowa and Northern Iowa. That is blasphemy.

Now, no one is going to beat Penn State next year. Brands knows this and Iowa is most likely going to redshirt two Freshmen who would be serious threats to be near the top of the podium as true Freshmen and certainly would be the best wrestler at their weight in the room, they still have to answer to many casual fans who won't understand the nuance of that decision and won't connect that decision to a Team National Championship in the 2021-2022 season when RS Seniors Warner and Lee are leading the way as bonus point machines.

With Downey in the fold for 3 months, they can still get a trophy and won't have to listen to the criticism for a couple years while the building of their next championship caliber team comes together.

He works out at the OTC for the first semester and is an "unattached assassin." If he follows the rules and keeps his nose clean, the Brands brothers give him a chance at redemption and to win the whole darn thing, by having him enroll and walk onto the team in January. Downey also gets the added bonus of sticking it to ISU, by aiding the hated Hawkeyes. Really Iowa is the perfect place for Downey. The best part is because he will only be enrolling in classes for the second semester, so, they don't have to even worry about him screwing up in the class room side of things. Downey could actually never show up to a single class at Iowa, ever. Fail all of the classes he actually enrolls in, and he could still potentially win a National Championship for the Hawkeyes. Then, he could be fighting in the UFC in May with a much larger potential contract. I kinda hope this all happens now.

Last edited:
I thought for a sport that spans both semesters (wrestling basketball etc) you have to be enrolled both semesters and in good academic standing entering the spring semester.... could be wrong though!

I thought for a sport that spans both semesters (wrestling basketball etc) you have to be enrolled both semesters and in good academic standing entering the spring semester.... could be wrong though!

He won't wrestle attached the first semester as he will still be at ISU.

Reactions: PSUer1989
When you say at ISU do you mean taking online classes but living and training in IC?

Depends...if the classes he needs to complete his degree are online or not. If he is accepted into a master's program at Iowa, he can "start academics" in the second semester. I say that because he needs only to sign up and pay...not actually go to classes unless he is serious about getting a graduate degree. Lot of one and done basketball players get through the first semester, sign up for classes but never go in their second semester.

Reactions: andegre
Depends...if the classes he needs to complete his degree are online or not. If he is accepted into a master's program at Iowa, he can "start academics" in the second semester. I say that because he needs only to sign up and pay...not actually go to classes unless he is serious about getting a graduate degree. Lot of one and done basketball players get through the first semester, sign up for classes but never go in their second semester.
guess I'm wondering if he won't be in IC, where will he be training first semester if his plans are to join Iowa. I figure he isn't welcome in ISU room.

guess I'm wondering if he won't be in IC, where will he be training first semester if his plans are to join Iowa. I figure he isn't welcome in ISU room.

I imagine he'll get over here on some days...ugh. Winter is coming.

That is definitely not the case.

So what's the hold up on the decision? Is there really something to think about on PDIII end, or just hush hush until second semester?

Is it really boggling?

Yes. His issues are well documented and it flies in the face of everything stated about the program very recently. On top of it, it isn't like he puts us over the top for the team race.

(BTW, the above is not intended to be a complaint. I'm trying to be done with that on this subject as my feelings are well known. Just replying to the JW133 and trying to keep it brief.)

Yes. His issues are well documented and it flies in the face of everything stated about the program very recently. On top of it, it isn't like he puts us over the top for the team race.

(BTW, the above is not intended to be a complaint. I'm trying to be done with that on this subject as my feelings are well known. Just replying to the JW133 and trying to keep it brief.)

I guess I just disagree. If you get commitments from Downey that he is going to behave and follow ALL the contingencies, then you bring him in, if he screws up even once you kick him out, but all you have to do is watch him very closely for less than 3 months and you get a guy who is going to score a lot of points at NCAA's and keep Iowa above the masses and in the top 4 where they get a trophy. That trophy matters to a lot of people believe it or not and earning one in a "rebuilding" year is something that is expected at a program like Iowa.

I guess I just disagree. If you get commitments from Downey that he is going to behave and follow ALL the contingencies, then you bring him in, if he screws up even once you kick him out, but all you have to do is watch him very closely for less than 3 months and you get a guy who is going to score a lot of points at NCAA's and keep Iowa above the masses and in the top 4 where they get a trophy. That trophy matters to a lot of people believe it or not and earning one in a "rebuilding" year is something that is expected at a program like Iowa.

Oh, well if he says he's going to be good, I'm sure he will be good. He's given people every reason in the world to trust him, after all. And on top of that, he's been doing so well at being contrite for past problems and working to overcome his demons. ;)

Oh, well if he says he's going to be good, I'm sure he will be good. He's given people every reason in the world to trust him, after all. And on top of that, he's been doing so well at being contrite for past problems and working to overcome his demons. ;)

hahahaha Touche. I can't argue with that. Downey is a scum bag and I highly doubt he will stop being a scum bag long term. So, I completely see your logic. However, he will be in the "honeymoon" period of any relationship for a little while and hopefully that lasts at least 3 months. Then he can go act like a fool on the MMA scene.

I think the reason bringing him in makes sense is #1 - HWC and #2 - absolutely knockout partner for Warner. I doubt if the coaches are bringing him in - with all the risks involved - just for a point bump at the NCAAs. Plus, maybe they like him.

I think the reason bringing him in makes sense is #1 - HWC and #2 - absolutely knockout partner for Warner. I doubt if the coaches are bringing him in - with all the risks involved - just for a point bump at the NCAAs. Plus, maybe they like him.

Here's the thing, the Brands brothers have acknowledged that they were feeling some heat for the lack of results and that they made significant changes in the way they were recruiting to get better results. That change was talked about with the Kemerer class of 2014-2015. That class is now academic Juniors. Meaning you should see some tangible results now. Meanwhile, just about everyone expects this to be Iowa's worse team on the mat since the Brands took over. The math there just doesn't add up for casual fans who do not follow the team nearly as closely as the people on this board here do. We sit back and say this is a odd year where Penn State and Ohio State are loaded and Iowa has no real chance, so, redshirt everyone and look towards a brighter future. We say look at the recruiting the last three years it has been great and the future is super bright, but then the team goes out and takes some questionable dual losses and is not in the top 4 at NCAA's. The casual fan is going to be asking questions and the Brands brothers will be feeling a little bit more heat. You can't say for multiple years that you are making these positive changes and then put out the worst product that you ever have 3 years into those changes. That is how coaches get fired. Now obviously I do not believe the Brands are in any danger of being fired and I do believe the future is really bright, but you better believe the production at the NCAA Tournament is a major factor in deciding whether or not to bring Downey in, despite not having a chance to dethrone Penn State or Ohio State next season.

Last edited:

Why is this good for HWC? He'll dart for MMA as soon as NCAA's are over.

OK - is he at Iowa or not? Someone start a real thread when official. It appears he is a NC at 84 / 97 either way according to what I'm reading.

Here's the bottom line: PD3 either causes his own demise once again or he becomes an absolute monster that feeds off of the daily mental injection that is Tom and Terry Brands.

Remember the rumors that the Brands might corner him at the Trials? I think the Brands saw a side of him leading up to this when he was an "unattached assassin" that nobody sees on social media -- a guy that really is flat-out tough, hungry to be great, but also a guy that's really insecure -- and they wanted a shot at cracking the code. It could be fire or it could be fireworks, but sign me up for the show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT