ADVERTISEMENT

People listing their preferred pronouns on LinkedIn....

Kind of funny that The Atlantic delivers this the day Trad and Hoosier tell us this is all VERY NEW AND SCARY!''

Irrelevant. . .

1. The article talks about people searching for a gender neutral pronoun for someone who's gender is unknown. I actually sort of agree we could probably use this because I'm often forced to use he/she which seems hamfisted. It doesn't talk about people changing their gender or even thinking gender is different from sex.

2. Most of the mentions there are random people trying to popularize different ideas for this gender neutral pro-noun and falling on their face as it was never widely socially accepted.

3. All of these examples are less than or just barely over 100 years old. I've known people who were alive 100 years ago. Most are dead now but I knew them at some point in my life. If you really want to influence my opinion on the topic I need stuff. . . widespread stuff from a time when my great great great great great grandparents were not yet born. Which is why I asked before for examples pre 18th century. Everything from the 18th century on in terms of history is all relatively recent.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHawkeye1999
Hey look, you just moved the goalposts.
Goal posts have not been moved my original post said

"Multiple pre 18th century cultures in history in which full on transgenderism was accepted as normal."

A roman emperor doing it doesn't mean it was accepted as normal in Rome. Far from it. It only means that Rome made the major mistake of elevating the position of emperor up so high that anything they did was beyond reproach.

Fissures. Give him space. He's trying, but it's hard. The social acceptance angle speaks to the gravitational pull of his church, his religious practice, that community to which he belongs whose acceptance means a great deal to him.

Acceptance means it has a tradition longer than a few seconds in historical terms.

It's the reason that I don't read theology texts less than 200 years old.

I want to see something that has withstood some sort of test of time.

If they did do that than in the cultures they where in they would have been considered crazy.

I mean things that would be apt to change my mind would be

1. Multiple pre 18th century cultures in history in which full on transgenderism was accepted as normal.

2. Strong and clear evidence how transgenderism is entirely different from believing that one is made of glass or other ridiculous notions that have no basis in reality.
I can't get over your number 2. No basis in reality? Good grief, Hoosier. This line of thinking is so beneath you. Or is it?

The information on this issue is readily available. Hell, I can provide my own personal experience. Hell, we have a trans poster who frequents HROT. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest her experience is as real as yours.

Again, given your experience as a father, I find it remarkable that you so freely and adamantly express this level of antipathy. But, again, I think your church, that community, has a very, very strong gravitational pull on you.

I can't get over your number 2. No basis in reality? Good grief, Hoosier. This line of thinking is so beneath you. Or is it?

The information on this issue is readily available. Hell, I can provide my own personal experience. Hell, we have a trans poster who frequents HROT. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest her experience is as real as yours.

Again, given your experience as a father, I find it remarkable that you so freely and adamantly express this level of antipathy. But, again, I think your church, that community, has a very, very strong gravitational pull on you.

By no basis in reality I am talking about people thinking they are made of glass. Charles VI was I'm pretty sure not made of glass. But he thought that he was. Being made of glass was very very real to him.

Also talking about people who want to be disabled and be treated as disabled even though they are not.

I'm not suggesting his experience is not real to him. I'm suggesting that I've not seen anything that shows how this is entirely different from him believing that he is made of glass other than possibly the medical technology to make it appear to be true.

Explain to me how this is vastly different from being a male who thinks he is a female.

A quote of interest

Sufferers were seen to be normal in all ways bar the belief that they had turned to glass, and so could function, albeit anxious that other people shouldn't come too close and risk shattering fragile limbs.

Change a few things and it sounds pretty like transgenderism. They can be normal in every other way but deny one obvious reality.

Last edited:

"Multiple pre 18th century cultures in history in which full on transgenderism was accepted as normal."

A roman emperor doing it doesn't mean it was accepted as normal in Rome. Far from it. It only means that Rome made the major mistake of elevating the position of emperor up so high that anything they did was beyond reproach.

Acceptance means it has a tradition longer than a few seconds in historical terms.

Dude, you literally have expressed PERSONAL dis-acceptance in no uncertain terms. More than once. In this thread. Suddenly, now you're reframing this to some new form of acceptance—societal, global, recency, whatever else you've mentioned—as some way to seem less bigoted, because, I guess this is your tack, you're just living when you're living.

Lol. Nuts.

Look, I've been harsh with you. Used harsh words. But I'm being honest, and I'm using words carefully. You're moving the goalposts, changing the definitions of terms, and I think this is a sign of acknowledgment that maybe you have some work to do.

Just go do the work. I think the world of you. The world.

Gotta go. Fun thread. But gotta go.

By no basis in reality I am talking about people thinking they are made of glass. Charles VI was I'm pretty sure not made of glass. But he thought that he was. Being made of glass was very very real to him.

Also talking about people who want to be disabled and be treated as disabled even though they are not.

I'm not suggesting his experience is not real to him. I'm suggesting that I've not seen anything that shows how this is entirely different from him believing that he is made of glass other than possibly the medical technology to make it appear to be true.
Dammit, Hoosier. The longer you wait to just do some reading, the more you're going to keep twisting your ignorance-based words into even more absurd, and unflattering, defenses.

At this point, I'm now feeling sorry for you.

Dammit, Hoosier. The longer you wait to just do some reading, the more you're going to keep twisting your ignorance-based words into even more absurd, and unflattering, defenses.

At this point, I'm now feeling sorry for you.

Give me some reading material then!!! Whatever reading you did must have made you believe this way.

Link me to something.

I don't expect "How is transgenderism different from thinking you are made of glass" in google to net me a result.

Reactions: Rudolph

You said it wasn't common. Evidence was shown otherwise. You then decided that because Elagabalus was killed that all the other evidence was invalid?

We can't help you at this point. Only you can help you when you're ready to give up your bigotry.

Give me some reading material then!!! Whatever reading you did must have made you believe this way.

Link me to something.

I don't expect "How is transgenderism different from thinking you are made of glass" in google to net me a result.
Already did. And also you can ask me about my friends, what I’ve learned from them.

Already did. And also you can ask me about my friends, what I’ve learned from them.

Where did I miss a link?

What have you learned from your friends? I'm willing to listen, I'll be honest I'm not sure how much value I give to personal experiences. Every delusional person is 100% convinced their delusions are real.

You said it wasn't common. Evidence was shown otherwise. You then decided that because Elagabalus was killed that all the other evidence was invalid?

We can't help you at this point. Only you can help you when you're ready to give up your bigotry.

In terms of percentage of population it isn't common. It wasn't ever common. You showed me a link that lists off maybe 100 to 200 people from human history. (I'm not going to go count)

Estimates are that over 107 billion humans have lived and mostly died by now.

Now obviously your list is not a full on list of every transgendered person in human history. But it doesn't show it being common in any culture.

In terms of percentage of population it isn't common. It wasn't ever common. You showed me a link that lists off maybe 100 to 200 people from human history. (I'm not going to go count)

Estimates are that over 107 billion humans have lived and mostly died by now.

Now obviously your list is not a full on list of every transgendered person in human history. But it doesn't show it being common in any culture.
You're ridiculous.
But I have hope that one day you'll recognize it.
Until then you'd best serve yourself by staying away from the topic.

It would be best for everyone if the topic went away and all could stay away from it.

Where did I miss a link?

What have you learned from your friends? I'm willing to listen, I'll be honest I'm not sure how much value I give to personal experiences. Every delusional person is 100% convinced their delusions are real.
You know what. Thanks but no thanks. You’re both lazy and a bigot. Shouldn’t have to give you a damn link, and you’re clearly not open-minded. Dictionary definition bigot. I have no more time for you.

As always, resorting to personal insults means you're losing the debate.
Not insults. You and Hoosier are the dictionary definition of bigoted as it relates to this issue. It’s not an insult. It just is. No different than Trad is in HR. Or Trad is a smoker. It’s just true. If you’re representing your true thoughts here, same for Hoosier, then you’re a bigot.

It’s really not even debate at this point.

That’s another problem here. You think this is debate?! Lol. You think I’m “losing”? Lol.

Your desperation for affirmation reeks more than your cig-stained life, Trad.

You and Hoosier are bigoted as it relates to this trans stuff.

Reactions: BelemNole
Lol. I love opinions like this.

Fad? Want to know what I hope is a fad? I'm going to guess that if Trad looked at 25 Linkedin profiles, three or less listed preferred pronouns. His reaction? Arguably incommensurate—more simply, triggered,

His reaction then effectively gives people the perception that this was more like at least half of the 25 had listed preferred pronouns.

If this thread continues much longer, people will claim that Linkedin is soon going to make it mandatory that all accountholders list their preferred pronouns.

I mean, look at your post. Look how this went from a thread about an old, crusty bigot being triggered by some Linkedin accounts to your assuring us that sex and gender identity won't be completely decoupled.

I mean, PHEW!!!

It's like we've become algorithms of algorithms.

Fuçking crazy.

It's like every idea has to be pushed to its extreme for people to attempt to understand it, weight it, judge its validity. But not just the idea itself—also the info behind the idea. Going back to the original premise… two or three out of 25 Linkedin profiles list pronouns… hmmm… not sure how to think about that… hmmm… well, WHAT IF THAT BECOMES 18 OUT OF 25?!! Oh, wow, NOW I know how I feel.

Going back to your CNN post… this is how our media market is training people to think. Whether TV or web page, it's not designed to deliver thoughtful information. It's designed to either keep you emotionally invested and/or make you click and scroll, click and scroll, click and scroll. How do they do that? By making every story sensational.

Well, now, we're so conditioned by this that now we do it ourselves, to ourselves.

Hoosier thinks trans people don't accept him. Because pronouns. He thinks this despite my assurance that is most assuredly not the case. He ignores that in favor of the more extreme story he's created in his head. Think about that. No questions asked, no interest expressed in my experience with my "they/them" friends/associates. Did you notice how quickly he went towards an extreme (uninformed) position on this?

Our brains are supercomputers. Powerful. But programmable, too.

Eh, while I do think the Fox styled stupid filter that so much news and information passes through these absolutely amplifies (would be) disputes and directs attention, to an extent, that's not all that's going on here. Little more dynamic.

kellog-copy-1.jpg

When you've got pronouns on the box of frosted flakes, CNN, LinkedIn and half of twitter warring about these topics every day, you can't expect somebody like Trad not to voice his opinion. This stuff has deep popular culture penetration at this point.

(and no, I don't think Trad is a right wing media monstrosity that way -- this was the sort of thing that was always going to be contentious... conservative psychology was always going to react this way... absolutely nothing new there)

I think Fox styled algorithms sit on top of all this; they sift through, find the juicy bits that get people going, and push those. I think help lead to an imbalanced poli-news diet. We know that story. To an extent, those (in this example as applied to the left) would've helped push this topic to popular culture, I suppose.

But part of this is simply so much information with so many eyes. I don't think stuff like this used to accelerate like it does now... because it couldn't. So I think it's a little more fundamental, that way.

As I mentioned before, we've got this interesting mixture of academia, activism, politics and media that really work synergistically -- not necessarily in an orchestrated way -- to get this stuff into pop-culture really quick anymore. Some of those items being moreso features of progressive politics, at any rate... the end result is high visibility on stuff like this. I think, in a more abstract sense, you've almost got that same algorithm working here too in that "interesting stuff" rises to the top quickly where it can be seen by an incredible amount of eyeballs. Now that's not a Fox exec pushing buttons, strategizing, but some of the same stuff happens effectively. And maybe it's moreso the activist sentiment -- to push and make noise -- that does the heavy lifting in the composite I mentioned above. But I think it's mostly because of the information infrastructure that now exists.

Anyway... the conversation with a guy like Trad ends up being the same boring old conservative/progressive conversation we've had a million times by now. To me the interesting bit is the volume of these conversations. The quantity of them... the way they dominate political discourse anymore. (look at this board)

And yeah, the Fox algorithm amplifies that, for sure, but there are more fundamental forces at work, I'm increasingly convinced.

As for my post. I think Trad and I are probably off on a different planet on stuff like this besides complaining or critiquing the same thing. With threads like these I tend to interject what I find interesting, which is often sort of tangential to the OP's point. If that close.

My responses, often enough, are rather terse and a bit vague (often because I just don't have the time) and also a bit provocative. (I mix it up like a lot of people here, taking on adversarial positions and poking at certain crowds -- this leads to a lack preface in commentary... I sort of allow people to assume the worse but don't actually give it to them... which is sort of a dick thing to do, but... HROT)

With this topic my real fascination is the phenomenology behind it.

When I said "fad" I was literally talking about:

1) The level of interest in pronouns. It's a hot topic, I don't think it's that durable. It's just not that meaningful, ultimately. It's what somebody is asking you to call them. Again... your asking someone else to refer to you a certain way. There's the obviously useful lesson to be learned (if you didn't know) that people might not internally identify with what their physical appearance would imply sex wise, and I think most people will get that. And you should probably not be a dick and call them by their preferred pronoun. (which we people will probably continue to fight about)

But I don't think this will have durability as some sort of bit of information everybody feels required to convey when, say, introducing themselves. You're seeing that now in certain more progressive leaning circles... be it a business or a college or whatever. But I don't think it lasts. (Kind of like LatinX) Mostly because there is a tiny minority that *legitimately* feels the need to use it. Legitimately because...

2) There's a bunch of people like Demi Lovato playing the pronoun game. To put it bluntly, she probably wasn't "born that way" and neither were they. The people that really seem into this stuff -- besides the "born that way" crowd -- are progressive women with emotional instability. (really look at the people that get into this stuff -- it's dominated by a certain sort of woman) I think there are a lot of "a problem looking for a solution" situations here.

HR guy talks about qualifications over all else, gets hung up on pronouns. Such a weak ass human being. Hypocrite and bigot. With hiring responsibilities. Lol.

Reactions: BelemNole
Hoosier says sure tell me about your friends, then says he’s pretty much not gonna listen because, you know, his mind is already made up that they must be delusional. And delusional is delusional.

Dictionary definition of being prejudice and bigoted.

Hoosier you are a bigot. Point blank. But you have Trad on your side, so there is that.

Irrelevant. . .

1. The article talks about people searching for a gender neutral pronoun for someone who's gender is unknown. I actually sort of agree we could probably use this because I'm often forced to use he/she which seems hamfisted. It doesn't talk about people changing their gender or even thinking gender is different from sex.

2. Most of the mentions there are random people trying to popularize different ideas for this gender neutral pro-noun and falling on their face as it was never widely socially accepted.

3. All of these examples are less than or just barely over 100 years old. I've known people who were alive 100 years ago. Most are dead now but I knew them at some point in my life. If you really want to influence my opinion on the topic I need stuff. . . widespread stuff from a time when my great great great great great grandparents were not yet born. Which is why I asked before for examples pre 18th century. Everything from the 18th century on in terms of history is all relatively recent.
It's important to note that not everyone feels comfortable or safe sharing their pronouns openly due to personal or cultural reasons. It is essential to respect an individual's choice and not make assumptions about their gender identity based on appearance or other factors.
LinkedIn has recognized the importance of inclusive practices and has provided an option for users to add their preferred pronouns to their profiles. This feature allows individuals to select their preferred pronouns or manually input custom pronouns to be displayed alongside their name.
In summary, listing preferred pronouns on LinkedIn is a positive trend that promotes inclusivity, respect, and awareness of gender diversity in professional environments. It helps create a more welcoming space for individuals of all gender identities and supports the overall goal of fostering equality and understanding.
https://goit.global/ph/

Good point.

Last edited:
It's really really stupid is what it is.

Your name is female, you look like a woman, you sound like a woman, you dress like a woman. It's pretty obvious to the entire world you are a woman.

You don't need to clarify that because a fraction of 1 percent of the population thinks they are a different gender than they were born as.
It's just virtue signaling at that point.

Good point.

Irrelevant. . .

https://goit.global/ph/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT