ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins to Mizzou

This just shows what a farce NIL is. Tony is in my opinion an average college starter, that brings no real value to the team he plays for.

33 players made all big ten and there are only 70 starters in the league. Roughly half off all starters are all big ten based off that alone. Stats are primarily a product of minutes played. If that is the case very few athletes are truly valuable.
I would have watched anybody get 14 and 5 for iowa.

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand why a player like Tony would played for Iowa for 4 years, was a starter and had success, would transfer to Mizzou? Did he just decide he didn't like Iowa or Fran?
Maybe he rec'd his BA in Journalism and wants that Masters degree from Mizzou? They have one of the better Journalism schools in the country.

I think he wants a fresh start, and $$$, so he bailed.

• Haha
Reactions: tweeterhawk
If the number ($500K) that Fran mentioned for Tony is correct, then our society is really screwed up. A CEO/President level executive for a $50M company makes between $200K to $300K annually. Many GP doctors make much less than $500K. How stupid are some of these boosters.

If the number ($500K) that Fran mentioned for Tony is correct, then our society is really screwed up. A CEO/President level executive for a $50M company makes between $200K to $300K annually. Many GP doctors make much less than $500K. How stupid are some of these boosters.

I mean your logic would make sense if CEOs/Presidents/GPs weren't so overpaid.

Last edited:
This just shows what a farce NIL is. Tony is in my opinion an average college starter, that brings no real value to the team he plays for.

33 players made all big ten and there are only 70 starters in the league. Roughly half off all starters are all big ten based off that alone. Stats are primarily a product of minutes played. If that is the case very few athletes are truly valuable.

Bart Torvik gives an overall rating to players and his was 3.4. That's really pretty good. Anything over 3 is definitely somebody you'd want on your team.

He was 2nd team all Big 10, which puts him in the top 10 of the league. If you think his contribution is basically a function of minutes, that means you expect Harding to just step in and match his production. Good luck to him.

Well he was 2nd team all Big Ten so that put him in the top 10 of players, so your 33 out of 70 isn't really correct here.

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand why a player like Tony would played for Iowa for 4 years, was a starter and had success, would transfer to Mizzou? Did he just decide he didn't like Iowa or Fran?
I'm guessing the NIL money had to be a big factor. Missouri was awful last year going 0-18 in conference and 8-24 overall. Unless they have some Fab Five class coming in to save the day, I can't imagine they're going to be a great team this season.

Tony signed on to play 4 years at Iowa and gave us 4 years. I have zero issues with him moving on to make some money.

I'm guessing the NIL money had to be a big factor. Missouri was awful last year going 0-18 in conference and 8-24 overall. Unless they have some Fab Five class coming in to save the day, I can't imagine they're going to be a great team this season.

Tony signed on to play 4 years at Iowa and gave us 4 years. I have zero issues with him moving on to make some money.
100% this

he's not going to a stellar program right now, obviously Mizzou is doing what all smart power conference teams should be doing and hitting the portal hard for quality players

in basketball all it takes is 2-3 strong transfers and you can right the ship pretty fast

Exactly. He played his four years for us and I thank him for that. Now if he can make a few hundred thousand playing somewhere else then go for it, he deserves it. it also might do him some good to play under a different coach for a year and see if he can improve his game.

Not sure if I want Perkins and pmac to do well or continue to not really do much for the team they are on.
I’d like to see them do well and then we can point to Fran as the problem. But they also left Iowa so I don’t care to see them do well.

I never could get a grasp of if I liked or disliked Tony. He would start to make you really enjoy watching him play and then he’d go through a stretch of wtf is this crap.
He might be one of the more inconsistent players I’ve seen at iowa in a long time.

Bart Torvik gives an overall rating to players and his was 3.4. That's really pretty good. Anything over 3 is definitely somebody you'd want on your team.

He was 2nd team all Big 10, which puts him in the top 10 of the league. If you think his contribution is basically a function of minutes, that means you expect Harding to just step in and match his production. Good luck to him.
the numbers were given to reflect upon NIL. As for tony, I don't see him as being anything other than a reserve on a good team. Is he starting in lipsey or gilberts place?

So one of these things has to be true with this transfer:

1. Missouri just pony'd up $500k for a slightly above average major conference guard, or
2. Fran was lying about it taking $500k to keep Tony.

My money is on #2 being the correct answer.
Yeah, I highly doubt Mizzou is shelling out that kind of money, especially when they likely need an entire roster.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
In principle, I know what you are saying Gunner, you make total sense.

But look at it another way. With the money this is being generated by college sports, who should get it? Should it be the schools so that they can pay coaches, AD's, and other faculty more money? Should it be the television networks so that they CEO's of those can make more money? Should it be the NCAA?

Bottomline is that the these sports are generating a massive amount of money because they are popular and somebody, several people actually, are going to make bank off of it. It is hard then to reason why the kids shouldn't. Tony is one thing, but Caitlin is/was another. They can talk about how much money Caitlin is earning but I guarantee there are people making more than her off of her. Now that is tragic too.

My hope is that these types of NIL deals are going to get so gross and stupid, and behavior like KP will force the hand of these universities to put some regulation on it and treat it for what it is. A business.

He's well above average for Big10 and college...whether he is NBA prospect is different discussion.

Good luck Tony. Wish our NIL was better..

So one of these things has to be true with this transfer:

1. Missouri just pony'd up $500k for a slightly above average major conference guard, or
2. Fran was lying about it taking $500k to keep Tony.

My money is on #2 being the correct answer.
Per Trilly Donavon, Tony got $400K. So not as much as Fran said (likely was using what TP's agent asked for) but not too far off to be honest.

I think your numbers for CEO salary at $50 million revenue or market value, either way is low.

Tony is going to make $500K for 1 year....his B-ball career very well might be under $1 million for his career if he ends up as overseas caliber player with no sniff of NBA.

Fran has been making $3.2 million/yr for coaching what were amateurs and probaly $30 million career salary just from Iowa. The fact the coaching Elite have gotten such a big share of college sports revenues is worse than Tony Perkins (from likely humble beginnings )making $500K.

Now that college sports is a professional league, open up the revenue for competitive allocation of Athletic Dept revenue instead of funneling all to head coaches. . My guess is you get a lot better team performance with a player budget of $3.2 million/yr and a mid major coach making $250K running the show then you do with Fran or his comparable P5 coaches making $3.2 million and Iowa's current NIL budget.

This twitter thing is pretty odd. He's arguing in that thread about it not being about the money. It's weird how his attitude just went South the last few games of the season. You could tell he didn't want to be here. Not sure what happened. He gave us 4 years and for the most part played his ass off. I'm not going to complain about a guy who ended up 2nd team All Big Ten.

I think your numbers for CEO salary at $50 million revenue or market value, either way is low.

Tony is going to make $500K for 1 year....his B-ball career very well might be under $1 million for his career if he ends up as overseas caliber player with no sniff of NBA.

Fran has been making $3.2 million/yr for coaching what were amateurs and probaly $30 million career salary just from Iowa. The fact the coaching Elite have gotten such a big share of college sports revenues is worse than Tony Perkins (from likely humble beginnings )making $500K.

Now that college sports is a professional league, open up the revenue for competitive allocation of Athletic Dept revenue instead of funneling all to head coaches. . My guess is you get a lot better team performance with a player budget of $3.2 million/yr and a mid major coach making $250K running the show then you do with Fran or his comparable P5 coaches making $3.2 million and Iowa's current NIL budget.
That doesn't include options or bonus. That's what I've been told by executive search firms I know. FWIW, Tony is not being paid by TV dollars, money comes from private NIL dollars.
Don't get me started about coaches salaries and buyout clauses. Total BS. No one will convince me Fran deserves $3.2M, except maybe the year he won BIG tourney. I like the incintive base bonuses Bluder got.

Reactions: SB_SB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT