ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins to Mizzou

I'll take it from Brad, who actually runs an NIL collective, when he flat out said that the amounts being reported for NIL compared to what is actually inked are vastly different.

Blum at Iowa State has said the exact opposite. So I guess somebody is just flat wrong or lying.

market full of panic and no regulation is not going to value people properly.
I think this is a valid point. It's a bubble, like the housing market, tech stocks. I still maintain that this annual dump of money from individuals (large and small) and companies is not sustainable for most schools. Individuals payments can flex from year to year based on a multitude of factors and businesses, even those run by avid alums, will measure what are they really getting out of their "donations". It's sort of working now, but will it still be in 2-5 years from now? I have my doubts, except for a select few schools who have the donor base willing to keep paying (in part because they've been doing it for so long, just in a more covert manner).

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Right now there are two groups of power 6 schools. Those like Missouri that will pay for guys. And those like Iowa, that will end up with whomever is left and not getting any serious NIL money. It’s concerning for the sport and for Iowa as well.
Well as long as the fans are good with the performance of Iowa athletics and the donors are doing their thing it won't change. We seem to be fine with this level and not really be serious about trying to hit the next level.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
If they unionize, at what point do these "student athletes" become designated as employees?

and if that happens, do they pay taxes on the value of the following?
* Tuition, books
* Housing
* unlimited food
* professional coaching (hours x the going rate)
* professional training (hours x the going rate)
What happens when they start getting fired for "non performance"? As we've talked about before thats the flip side of that coin for the players, and they'd want no part of that side....

I think this is a valid point. It's a bubble, like the housing market, tech stocks. I still maintain that this annual dump of money from individuals (large and small) and companies is not sustainable for most schools. Individuals payments can flex from year to year based on a multitude of factors and businesses, even those run by avid alums, will measure what are they really getting out of their "donations". It's sort of working now, but will it still be in 2-5 years from now? I have my doubts, except for a select few schools who have the donor base willing to keep paying (in part because they've been doing it for so long, just in a more covert manner).
Yep, thats what I was talking about earlier. Big money is going to want ROI, and very few will be able to justify or even measure that to any real extent.

Yep, thats what I was talking about earlier. Big money is going to want ROI, and very few will be able to justify or even measure that to any real extent.
That's why these NIL deals need to be incentive based, much like coaches. Give X $ for x number of wins. NCAA appearances. Pay the entire teams for wins, players for rebounds, etc. I wouldn't pay for player points per game, this would create selfish gunners. More $ for staying X years & graduating. Gotta be some way to make these incentive based & keep this from a merry-go-round of transfers.

In principle, I know what you are saying Gunner, you make total sense.

But look at it another way. With the money this is being generated by college sports, who should get it? Should it be the schools so that they can pay coaches, AD's, and other faculty more money? Should it be the television networks so that they CEO's of those can make more money? Should it be the NCAA?

Bottomline is that the these sports are generating a massive amount of money because they are popular and somebody, several people actually, are going to make bank off of it. It is hard then to reason why the kids shouldn't. Tony is one thing, but Caitlin is/was another. They can talk about how much money Caitlin is earning but I guarantee there are people making more than her off of her. Now that is tragic too.

My hope is that these types of NIL deals are going to get so gross and stupid, and behavior like KP will force the hand of these universities to put some regulation on it and treat it for what it is. A business.
How much $$$ do you think #22 took from the UIowa NIL? I’m thinking -0-…Stars are getting their money from folks not even connected to their schools…Maybe I’m all wrong here..

That's why these NIL deals need to be incentive based, much like coaches. Give X $ for x number of wins. NCAA appearances. Pay the entire teams for wins, players for rebounds, etc. I wouldn't pay for player points per game, this would create selfish gunners. More $ for staying X years & graduating. Gotta be some way to make these incentive based & keep this from a merry-go-round of transfers.
I think what proctor did is the tip of the ice berg in an athlete screwing a school out of $. We kind of saw it with qb who backed out of FL commit cause what he was promised wasn’t delivered in NIL. There will be more ugly situations when one of these 5* guys gets hurt doesn’t live up to the hype and some schools or donors tries to short them or cut them loose. And think you maybe right where school get burned too often try to incorporate incentive based. Which will only lead to more ugly situations where player just misses a mark cause coach pulls him in a blowout at the end of the year or something like that.

Paying him 500k would make no sense with the other better players on the team imo

What happens when they start getting fired for "non performance"? As we've talked about before thats the flip side of that coin for the players, and they'd want no part of that side....

That basically already happens. If players cannot get playing time at a bigger school, they go to a smaller school. What do you think the big difference would be?

Lots of people (including myself) thought TP wasn’t fully invested in this team the last couple of games of the season.

If it’s true that he had reps telling Fran he was gone before the B10 tourney even started then that’s a pretty bad look.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT