ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins.

Toussaint at PG
Perkins at SG
Patrick at SF
Keegan at PF
Kris at PF

That is the lineup I want to see. We play man to man and we are good. Our zone would be A LOT quicker too.

At Sienna (I know it is a long time ago) Fran would pull out the full court pressure a lot. I think this is finally the group that can do this.

Connor as a starter or 6th man in the 1-4 spots serves a purpose whether you like it or not.

Ulis backs up the 1 and 2
Sandfort backs up SF
Ogundele at the 5
Mulvey at the 4 & 5.

Throw in a grad transfer, a splash or not, at the 2 and the 4/5 would be good. But I am actually ok with the 10 we have.
Expect to see ALOT of packed in zone with that lineup, with teams clogging the driving lanes and forcing Iowa to show they can shoot the 3. Unless Perkins can show a decent jumper its tough having him as "the shooting guard" without someone like JW on the other wing.

Reactions: David1979
I'm worried about Conner minute distribution. We are most stacked at the 3/4 positions where we can hide Conner. We have 2 PGs so no room there. That leaves shooting guard. I want Perkins to get 30 of those minutes a game. I'm unsure of who gets the remaining 10 (mix of Ulis / Sandfort if he can play SG). Last thing I want is Conner sucking up those minutes, you can't have a non shooter at SG.

I really don't see much of a role for him on this team, his only skill was being a counterpoint to Garza (highly overrated imo). He was bar far the worst player on the team according to advanced metrics. If he starts or gets 20+ minutes a game and hasn't somehow magically transformed his game we are screwed. Not to mention that could open us up to transfer attrition again.

Fran needs to assess as a coach this year, not a father. He was just extended to do exactly that. We'll see...
Your correct. Unfortunately we have NO idea if Perkins can shoot consistently either yet everyone wants him to be the SG. If he can, thats great, if not then he's really a tweener. Without a serious presense from deep across from him, (like JW) we'll struggle without a shooter at that spot. I do think TP can be a scorer, just not sure f he can be a shooter. You also have to realize that when they ran Luka outside because he was a serious threat to score from deep, that opened the lane for JW and others to drive. well that threat is GONE as well, unless Keegan steps up his jumper. His and Kris's growth will be crucial. There's a big difference between scoring 9 or 10 points a game when your option #4 and there's no pressure. When you have to be the man and the defense is game planning against you, its a little more difficult.

It just amazes me how many people think Fran puts more emphasis on being a father than being a coach when playing time is distributed. He's a D-1 coach, not a grammar school dad. Connor played more because he distributed the ball as needed and made very few turnovers. Ball movement and distribution is often overlooked and Connor was very important in this being done. Pretty sure you won't get any complaints from Luka either. Some of his success is due to getting the ball in the right place at the right time.
So Connor score 3 points a game and gets 4-5 assists. I would rather have a guy score 10-12 points and get 1 or 2 assists. And I think the assists are going to go down, since to get one someone has to actually score!! With top 4 scorers gone, that may be difficult.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
It just amazes me how many people think Fran puts more emphasis on being a father than being a coach when playing time is distributed. He's a D-1 coach, not a grammar school dad. Connor played more because he distributed the ball as needed and made very few turnovers. Ball movement and distribution is often overlooked and Connor was very important in this being done. Pretty sure you won't get any complaints from Luka either. Some of his success is due to getting the ball in the right place at the right time.

So Connor score 3 points a game and gets 4-5 assists. I would rather have a guy score 10-12 points and get 1 or 2 assists. And I think the assists are going to go down, since to get one someone has to actually score!! With top 4 scorers gone, that may be difficult.
You missed his point. Completely. Again.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
If healthy Conner is going to start.
I heard TK say the same on his most recent podcast and don't get it. What has Connor shown that merits a starting spot especially on a team that lost basically all of its scoring? All 5 guys who start need to be capable of creating match up problems for the opponent. Connor is playing 4 on 5 offensively.

I heard TK say the same on his most recent podcast and don't get it. What has Connor shown that merits a starting spot especially on a team that lost basically all of its scoring? All 5 guys who start need to be capable of creating match up problems for the opponent. Connor is playing 4 on 5 offensively.
If players are passing and moving without the ball, cutting to the basket, and screening when they aren't, he is perfect for this offense. With the players Iowa will have on the floor next year, he'd do fine. But I hope he's not relied upon to drain 3 pointers because that won't cut it.

I don't think Connor getting so much PT has anything to do with Fran being his dad. It has more to do with Fran's whole sense of entitlement for 'his guys'. He even said as much in an interview about having guys who expect certain minutes and shots earlier in the season when the bench played so well in back to back games then he sat them against Indiana.

No Garza next year means Connor has to be able to score, drive and create. I have yet to see him do any of these things and don't expect them after rehabbing from his surgery. Gritty player who brings some moxie, but just not enough of anything else to merit a lot of PT IMO.

If players are passing and moving without the ball, cutting to the basket, and screening when they aren't, he is perfect for this offense. With the players Iowa will have on the floor next year, he'd do fine. But I hope he's not relied upon to drain 3 pointers because that won't cut it.
The problem is Connor's defender becomes a floater to help on somebody else. Let him shoot, it's as good as a turnover and he won't drive. If guys are going to play off you 10 feet you need to make them pay. We saw that happen twice I think last season.

Reactions: gdoggy1976
The problem is Connor's defender becomes a floater to help on somebody else. Let him shoot, it's as good as a turnover and he won't drive. If guys are going to play off you 10 feet you need to make them pay. We saw that happen twice I think last season.
If CMac would screen and roll he could clean up. He can shoot the 10-footer.

Could be Fran is just a chitty coach. He's never been to sweet16 anywhere. Lots of never's in his career.

Reactions: LGEND24
images

No coach in the country would have played Conner over 10 minutes a game with our roster from last year. I still stand a lot of our attrition problems stem from that core decision made week 1 last year to start Conner. It limited that teams ceiling tremendously. Advanced metrics show he was poorest on the floor by a laaarge margin.

Conner is an upper classmen and is his son, Fran has a major bias in both regards. The dump to Garza for assists won’t be there anymore. He puts so much stress on the offense as his defender runs free. What position you advocating for him to play?

PG can’t drive
SG can’t shoot
SF Pmac/Kris/Sandfort too many bodies
PF Undersized and Keegan needs to play 30 plus
C obv not

32 mpg and 3 ppg is what it is. My man Joe T. may have be Joe TO sometimes but he is like Vinnie Johnson compared to Cmac. 5 minutes 5 points. You are probably not as old as me, so hopefully the Vinnie Johnson reference resonated.

32 mpg and 3 ppg is what it is. My man Joe T. may have be Joe TO sometimes but he is like Vinnie Johnson compared to Cmac. 5 minutes 5 points. You are probably not as old as me, so hopefully the Vinnie Johnson reference resonated.
Did that just go over your head? Reread my post, specifically what I bolded in your post.

😉

No coach in the country would have played Conner over 10 minutes a game with our roster from last year. I still stand a lot of our attrition problems stem from that core decision made week 1 last year to start Conner. It limited that teams ceiling tremendously. Advanced metrics show he was poorest on the floor by a laaarge margin.

Conner is an upper classmen and is his son, Fran has a major bias in both regards. The dump to Garza for assists won’t be there anymore. He puts so much stress on the offense as his defender runs free. What position you advocating for him to play?

PG can’t drive
SG can’t shoot
C obv not
Good post. If I were Fran (first I would get some hair gel and work on some styles vs, my lack of options in that department) and second I would move Connor off the ball. He has more of an old man YMCA game than he does a slasher / driver / 3 point game. Let him post his guy up, run some cutters off screens and have him survey the floor not from beyond the 3 point line. He has a little step back game and is strong enough to finish through contact. Call him a 3 or 4 or 3.5 whatever but he is not a 1 or 2 and should not be parked outside the 3 point line where he is no threat to shoot or drive.

Reactions: BBHawk
Good post. If I were Fran (first I would get some hair gel and work on some styles vs, my lack of options in that department) and second I would move Connor off the ball. He has more of an old man YMCA game than he does a slasher / driver / 3 point game. Let him post his guy up, run some cutters off screens and have him survey the floor not from beyond the 3 point line. He has a little step back game and is strong enough to finish through contact. Call him a 3 or 4 or 3.5 whatever but he is not a 1 or 2 and should not be parked outside the 3 point line where he is no threat to shoot or drive.
This is what I posted earlier. CMac is smart and knows how to run the offense, but he doesn't have to have the ball in his hands to affect the play.

To me - his biggest issue is to learn he does not have to make a play every time he has the ball. I do believe he got better with that aspect later in the year. And unless i am mistaken, his minutes went up too?
Knowing you will play 30 minutes a game will solve that to a large degree.

This is where Iowa really needs that athletic kid out of North Dakota. It will really help shore up the forward/center position. Iowa also needs a shooting guard from the portal if CJ doesn’t come back. Word is he in the portal but that doesn’t mean he is gone. Interesting. I think the ship has sailed for Fran though.
If CJ doesn't come back ???? Dude it's a one way trip down the rabbit hole...

Expect to see ALOT of packed in zone with that lineup, with teams clogging the driving lanes and forcing Iowa to show they can shoot the 3. Unless Perkins can show a decent jumper its tough having him as "the shooting guard" without someone like JW on the other wing.
Most coaches won't play zone no matter what, but they'll sag off.

I don't buy into the idea that Iowa won't have any shooting.

Murrays and Pat can definitely knock down shots if left wide open.

I will not be surprised to see Perkins and Ulis both shoot better than people think.

Reactions: BBHawk

Connor was a great start for this past years squad as he really is one of the best post entry passers in the nation, with a guy like Garza in the line up and shooters all around it really is a no brainer for him to start with a group like that.

I don't think next years team will need that years skill set quite as much but rather next years team is going to have to get out and RUN!

Connor is a competitor and I appreciate that about him. He does many little things for the team that aren’t always represented by stats. That being said, his weaknesses outweigh his strengths in my opinion thus not wanting him to play starter minutes.
well put....

Without Garza, Connor gets 2-3 assist a game. It’s like playing offense with 1 hand behind your back when he’s out there. Maybe he could start for Coe.

Your correct. Unfortunately we have NO idea if Perkins can shoot consistently either yet everyone wants him to be the SG. If he can, thats great, if not then he's really a tweener. Without a serious presense from deep across from him, (like JW) we'll struggle without a shooter at that spot. I do think TP can be a scorer, just not sure f he can be a shooter. You also have to realize that when they ran Luka outside because he was a serious threat to score from deep, that opened the lane for JW and others to drive. well that threat is GONE as well, unless Keegan steps up his jumper. His and Kris's growth will be crucial. There's a big difference between scoring 9 or 10 points a game when your option #4 and there's no pressure. When you have to be the man and the defense is game planning against you, its a little more difficult.
Roy Marble was a tweener and he did all right, despite never having a consistent outside shot. Dr. Tom did use him as a forward primarily though. I love Perkins athleticism, and hope we some some 2G skills next season.

I think Ulis reveals some shooting skill as a sophomore. If not it seems most of our shooters are in the 3/4 group of the Murray's, P-Mac, and Sandfort (without knowing if/who we land this Spring). If Joe W leaves Fran probably needs another shooter at guard to make us competitive, along with a seasoned 5.

Toussaint at PG
Perkins at SG
Patrick at SF
Keegan at PF
Kris at PF

That is the lineup I want to see. We play man to man and we are good. Our zone would be A LOT quicker too.

At Sienna (I know it is a long time ago) Fran would pull out the full court pressure a lot. I think this is finally the group that can do this.

Connor as a starter or 6th man in the 1-4 spots serves a purpose whether you like it or not.

Ulis backs up the 1 and 2
Sandfort backs up SF
Ogundele at the 5
Mulvey at the 4 & 5.

Throw in a grad transfer, a splash or not, at the 2 and the 4/5 would be good. But I am actually ok with the 10 we have.
I really like this line up as well. Very athletic and pretty good length.They will take some lumps and lose a lot next year, but the experience will harden them going forward. Sandfort is a wildcard to me. His 3 point shooting could make us a threat to make the NIT.

Connor‘s shooting took a big step backwards this year; FT, 3 pointers and his turn around jumper. Perhaps that was due to injuries? Players evolve and grow, I’m not overly hopeful but if he gets back to where he was a year ago that’s a big improvement.

PG can’t drive
SG can’t shoot
C obv not
re: Connor, I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of why CJ left

I think Connor's 'glue guy' and assists are way overrated.
Let’s assume for this moment that Connor played the role in the offense he was told to play. Sure his shooting still was needed in that role but it was pretty down the list of his responsibilities. Next season that role changes, quite a bit I think. Maybe he can pull it off, maybe not. I’ll be pulling for him but if he can’t then other players with the ability should fill the void. For the record I’d have preferred others got many of his minutes last year but I’m more than willing to accept he did what he was told for the betterment of the team. Let’s see what he brings next season. He had a couple games where he could shoot well enough to play. Needs to do that consistently. Best of luck to Connor or help off the bench

Reactions: Lumas Etima
I think he could try to score more this next year. He can back guys down and play some post. He is not a push over. He just was not a scorer. Plus he was injured. I can see him being valuable next year in what his role will be.
I have been a CMac guy since his RS Freshman year. I felt at the time, this program had a bunch of pansy’s in it. There was no attitude, no toughness, nobody willing to be the guy other teams hated and do the small, less noticeable things that most casual fans wouldn’t notice.

After watching him last year, I no longer feel that way, I think there is a place for Connor on the roster and am fine with him being a 6th or 7th man off the bench. This version of IA BBall next year, barring an unexpected great haul in the portal, this team needs all the athletes and scoring it can get. To compete for an upper echelon finish in conference next season we will need the guys who can score, shoot and hit FTs, to be playing starter minutes. There’s no LG or JW to get you buckets next year. Need 5 capable scorers. Connor can spell guys at 4 positions next year. He’ll get plenty of burn doing that. That should be his role and be a leader in the locker room.

PG can’t drive
SG can’t shoot
C obv not
I disagree about last year's team and Connor. last year was the perfect kind of team for him to get a lot of minutes because they had plenty of guys that can score. The issue is they are losing those guys which exposes his weaknesses even more.

With Joe W back ( and a healthy C-Mac) you might be able to play Joe T and Connor together. If Wieskamp leaves we need more offense from Toussaint or Connor to put them in the starting lineup together.

With Joe W back ( and a healthy C-Mac) you might be able to play Joe T and Connor together. If Wieskamp leaves we need more offense from Toussaint or Connor to put them in the starting lineup together.
If those guys are playing starter minutes, they will have to be a well oiled offensive machine to get players to the hoop. I’m afraid that teams will just sag off the two and dare those two to shoot long jumpers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT