ADVERTISEMENT

Petras working out with QB Coach/NFL Prep QB Coach Tony Racioppi

We finally threw a goal line fade to Brandon Smith after I and others had been clamoring for it on this site for about four weeks, and Petras put it in the fifth row. That was an eye opener too

To be clear, I’ve said and believe that Petras was on an upwards trajectory at the end of the last year and will be even better this year. But I hope that there is a real competition for the starting job prior to the season and that nobody is simply being anointed starter based off of eight games of experience
I'm with you uno, but have little confidence that is actually the case. We have 20 years of KF to look back on and his profile seems relatively clear: Pick a guy that fits the type you like and who follows orders and then go with him unless extreme circumstances force your hand.
It will be Petras starting and taking nearly every(if not all of them ala Vandenberg's senior year) snap barring some strange, unforeseen circumstances. I hope that this offseason work pays off and he is MUCH better than last season. Even allowing for the improvement as he got to the end of the season there was still a long way for him to go.

I'm with you uno, but have little confidence that is actually the case. We have 20 years of KF to look back on and his profile seems relatively clear: Pick a guy that fits the type you like and who follows orders and then go with him unless extreme circumstances force your hand.
It will be Petras starting and taking nearly every(if not all of them ala Vandenberg's senior year) snap barring some strange, unforeseen circumstances. I hope that this offseason work pays off and he is MUCH better than last season. Even allowing for the improvement as he got to the end of the season there was still a long way for him to go.
Somebody will be along shortly to tell us that the staff has never made an incorrect personnel decision, because that’s how these conversations usually turn out. My biggest frustration is with the staff’s “type” that they recruit at QB. 6’5 and a cannon is great, but it would be nice if we occasionally played somebody who could pick up yards with their feet after a play broke down, or who you could call an RPO for that doesn’t involve a QB sneak from under center

And if you’re going to have a pocket-passer, “pro style” QB, it would be nice if they could complete a deep ball with some consistency

i did take him a while to settle down in some games

i just worry what happens with a full road stadium; do the nerves continue to get to him?
This could go either way. Many players struggle in a quiet stadium (think of all the road games at Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern where we played flat as hell). We will see whether the crowds help him or rattle him.

I'm reminded of the fat bastard line in Austin powers everytime Kirk talks about why a guy is getting first team reps because they are the one he has given the experiance to.

" I eat because I'm sad, I'm sad because I'm fat"

No shit he is the only with experiance kirk, he is the only one you have given a real chance at getting game experience.
Agree. I said in the middle of last season that KF would use his failure to give Padilla any experience as his excuse to use Petras this year. KF's lack of foresight is stunning, but predictable.

There's some really good stuff in this column.

Racioppi is in his eighth year as a quarterback guru at the TEST Football Academy in Martinsville, New Jersey — not far from the campus at Rutgers. A former Division III passing star at Rowan College, Racioppi also is a primary counselor at the famous Manning Passing Academy every summer and said he’s had 25 of his quarterbacks sign in the NFL.

One of those quarterbacks is three-year Iowa starter Nate Stanley, who Racioppi worked with ahead of the 2020 NFL Draft. Stanley’s connection to Racioppi led to Petras’ trip out East.

In an interview with the Des Moines Register, Racioppi said he wanted to make clear that Petras' hiring him shouldn't be seen as a knock on the Iowa coaching staff. In fact, Racioppi said he and Iowa quarterbacks coach Ken O’Keefe are in regular contact. Racioppi also coaches a Class of 2023 quarterback, Marco Lainez, that Iowa has offered.

“(Petras) is trying to find ways to make himself better,” Racioppi said. “Coach O’Keefe lets me know what stuff he wants him to get better at, and that’s what we’ll do.”

By NCAA rule, Iowa position coaches can’t work with players on the field from now until fall training camp. Even with the valuable 15 spring practices Iowa completed on May 1, Racioppi noted, there’s not much daily time devoted to fundamentals.

Practice time is consumed by a lot of team drills, throwing balls to receivers, and learning the offense.

Petras might be lucky to get 12 or 15 minutes of fundamental work in one Iowa practice. On Wednesday, in his first workout ever with Racioppi, Petras got 1 hour, 40 minutes of one-on-one training. Racioppi posted several videos on Twitter of Petras working on certain throws.

What is Petras working on with Racioppi?

While not delving into painstaking specifics, Racioppi pointed out some areas that Petras is working on that are common problem spots for most quarterbacks: Consistency and footwork.

“It’s how to make balanced, straight throws. How to be more consistent. Adding accuracy,” Racioppi said. “A lot of times there’s untapped velocity in their bodies; they’re either a little forward in their body weight or they’ve relied too much on their arms as younger kids. It’s figuring out ways to use their body to make throws, and let the arm be a byproduct of that.”

Certainly, inconsistency was one of Petras’ biggest knocks in his first season as a Hawkeyes starter. Among 108 qualifying FBS quarterbacks last season, Petras’ 57.1% completion rate ranked 84th. Petras in April expressed his desire to up that rate to 65% as a junior. Still, Petras won his final six Iowa starts of 2020 after an 0-2 start, an encouraging sign of his resiliency and ability to improve.

Petras could just as well be enjoying this rare break from the college football calendar. But the fact that he’s out East, on Iowa’s final-exams week, underscores his dedication to improvement.

“They’re little tweaks. He’s not way off," Racioppi said. "I’m just showing him things that I think can take his game to another level."

Petras has more work to do to retain the Hawkeyes’ starting job; head coach Kirk Ferentz noted on May 1 that backup Alex Padilla had closed the gap in the quarterback competition. But with a daunting first two games of the season against opponents that finished in the national top 12 a year ago — home against Indiana on Sept. 5, then at Iowa State on Sept. 12 — there is urgency for Iowa’s quarterback to hit the ground running when fall camp begins.

'I think you're going to see a big jump this year'

Racioppi said the tentative plan is for Petras to return to New Jersey in mid-July for more personal training.

“I think you’re going to see a big jump this year, just because he had a spring practice with the staff and his teammates,” Racioppi said. “Obviously, he’s putting the time in over the summer to get better fundamentally. I think you’re going to see a kid who’s just going to keep progressing and get better, because he wants to be. He’s got the ability. He’s got a great arm. He’s got pretty good feet for a big kid, too.

“Whatever we fix, it’s going to be a muscle memory thing now.”

As a side note, Racioppi has remained in close contact with Stanley, who was a seventh-round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings in 2020. After one season in Minneapolis, his backup job could be in jeopardy after the Vikings drafted Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond in the third round. Racioppi said Stanley’s body weight has remained in the high 220s, a sleeker representation of his Iowa days when he was 240-plus.

“He looks great. He looks fit. He’s moving around great,” Racioppi said of Stanley. “The fundamentals he’s worked on here, he’s been able to maintain. I hope he gets a shot.”
I admire Petras for getting help, but it shouldn't be necessary. There is a lot of BS in this discussion.
Of course Racioppi is going to defend KOK. To do otherwise would be bad for his business and reduce other opportunities.

Only 15 minutes a day? That is an 1-1/2 hours a week and is more than sufficient. It's actually better than 1 hr-40 min because it allows time for monitoring and correction. And that's just 1 week. What about the other 22 weeks a year when on-field coaching is allowed.

It seems the real problem is that KOK isn't and has never been a QB coach on the technical side. He has that title as a mentor for BF.

Mark my words- The Greek Freak is going to be damn good this year he’s busting his ass to get better. He has all the tools the NFL loves now if he can put it all together the skies the limit for him

Reactions: BBHawk
I admire Petras for getting help, but it shouldn't be necessary. There is a lot of BS in this discussion.
Of course Racioppi is going to defend KOK. To do otherwise would be bad for his business and reduce other opportunities.

Only 15 minutes a day? That is an 1-1/2 hours a week and is more than sufficient. It's actually better than 1 hr-40 min because it allows time for monitoring and correction. And that's just 1 week. What about the other 22 weeks a year when on-field coaching is allowed.

It seems the real problem is that KOK isn't and has never been a QB coach on the technical side. He has that title as a mentor for BF.
Why does / did Tiger Woods have a swing coach? And different ones at different times? Best in the world ever, he shouldn't have ever needed one right?

Why does Tom Brady (the GOAT) use Tom House as a throwing coach (he ain't a Buccanear or Patriot employee)????????????????????????

I assume (hope) he's doing training on the mental approach to the game. He looks physically and technically sound. QB is obviously the most mentally demanding job. Both in technical game knowledge and the confidence to shrug off mistakes.

It's been brought up many times, but this is where Ricky Stanzi shined. Dude could throw 2 picks in a row and keep his confidence.

Limit mistakes, but don't dwell on them.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I assume (hope) he's doing training on the mental approach to the game. He looks physically and technically sound. QB is obviously the most mentally demanding job. Both in technical game knowledge and the confidence to shrug off mistakes.

It's been brought up many times, but this is where Ricky Stanzi shined. Dude could throw 2 picks in a row and keep his confidence.

Limit mistakes, but don't dwell on them.
The problem is that the mental part is what needs the most improvement but also tends to be the most irretractable.

The problem is that the mental part is what needs the most improvement but also tends to be the most irretractable.
And KOK was or is supposed to be the sooth sayer and fix that for him? It was KOK you were bashing and saying Petras should not have to go outside for help when even the best of professional athletes do just that.

Why does / did Tiger Woods have a swing coach? And different ones at different times? Best in the world ever, he shouldn't have ever needed one right?

Why does Tom Brady (the GOAT) use Tom House as a throwing coach (he ain't a Buccanear or Patriot employee)????????????????????????
Different problem. Going from the 20th to the 50th percentile is not the same as trying to go from the 98th to the 99th.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
Somebody will be along shortly to tell us that the staff has never made an incorrect personnel decision, because that’s how these conversations usually turn out. My biggest frustration is with the staff’s “type” that they recruit at QB. 6’5 and a cannon is great, but it would be nice if we occasionally played somebody who could pick up yards with their feet after a play broke down, or who you could call an RPO for that doesn’t involve a QB sneak from under center

And if you’re going to have a pocket-passer, “pro style” QB, it would be nice if they could complete a deep ball with some consistency

Here's the deal. None of us attend practices so none of us know how any player is grasping the playbook, performing, etc.

Kirk, Brian, and Ken evaluate the players and name the starters, not some anonymous message board poster. Kirk, Brian and Ken have forgotten more about football than you, I, or anyone else know about football.

When Kirk Ferentz said we had 2 good QBs in CJ Beathard and Jake Rudock, he was correct. Jake went on to start at Michigan and has played in the NFL.

When Kirk Ferentz says he plays the best players I believe him. You obviously, for some reason, don't believe him.

And I love how you came up with a play that you'd like Brian to run. JFC. Again, Brian has forgotten more about football than you will ever know.

People call Kirk Ferentz a Hall of Famer. I doubt anyone will call you a Hall of Famer when it comes to your takes.

Agree. I said in the middle of last season that KF would use his failure to give Padilla any experience as his excuse to use Petras this year. KF's lack of foresight is stunning, but predictable.

When Padilla did come in, he was not very impressive. But you want more of that, because you know more than Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Ken.

Your lack of logic and foresight is stunning, but predictable.

KF will likely be coaching until he is 70. You, on the other hand, should retire from posting.

A person trying to improve at what he does shouldn't be necessary?

Seriously, WTF.

The only BS is what you typed.

thank you.

Lmao. BF called the play I wanted ran, so he must see things a little like I do… not that it takes any sort of great football mind to throw the ball up to a 6’3 former high jump state champ, who has a flair for ridiculous catches near the goal line
Iowa has run this play for several years.

When Padilla did come in, he was not very impressive. But you want more of that, because you know more than Kirk Ferentz, Brian Ferentz and Ken.

Your lack of logic and foresight is stunning, but predictable.

KF will likely be coaching until he is 70. You, on the other hand, should retire from posting.
Padilla was actually quite impressive in his few seconds of action. He threw 2 passes, one was a difficult completion over the middle, the other was an intentional OB throwaway. And he had an 8 yard scramble.

Your old "more football knowledge" argument is tired and largely irrelevant. It's more about judgement than it is about knowledge. A military leader can be an expert in all facets, ie weaponry, training, tactics, etc but if he deploys his troops incorrectly, he will loose the battle.

We are making at least half a dozen strategic errors that we keep recycling which results in the inconsistency, and ineptness of our offense.

One of those is the incongruity between our QB and the rest of the offense. Our recent offenses can be characterized as a running game that produces some nice runs but doesn't have enough consistency to even have a decent short yardage conversion rate, and a passing game that is hindered by receivers unable to get quick separation combined with QBs required to get rid of the ball quickly. The result has been rushed throws into small windows with the attendant inaccuracy and inconsistency.

So the need is for the correct TYPE of QB. One that is at least a threat to run for 3 yards and thus open up the running game; one that can buy enough time in the pocket to give receivers time to reroute themselves. The LAST type of QB for this offense is a stationary QB who gives rushers a fixed target, who doesn't pose a running threat, who can't buy time in the pocket, and who has neither the time or accuracy for the long passing game.

This is just one of several facets of offensive mismanagement. And they are all common sense JUDGEMENT errors. For you to try to defend it says a lot about YOUR judgement.

Padilla was actually quite impressive in his few seconds of action. He threw 2 passes, one was a difficult completion over the middle, the other was an intentional OB throwaway. And he had an 8 yard scramble.

Your old "more football knowledge" argument is tired and largely irrelevant. It's more about judgement than it is about knowledge. A military leader can be an expert in all facets, ie weaponry, training, tactics, etc but if he deploys his troops incorrectly, he will loose the battle.

We are making at least half a dozen strategic errors that we keep recycling which results in the inconsistency, and ineptness of our offense.

One of those is the incongruity between our QB and the rest of the offense. Our recent offenses can be characterized as a running game that produces some nice runs but doesn't have enough consistency to even have a decent short yardage conversion rate, and a passing game that is hindered by receivers unable to get quick separation combined with QBs required to get rid of the ball quickly. The result has been rushed throws into small windows with the attendant inaccuracy and inconsistency.

So the need is for the correct TYPE of QB. One that is at least a threat to run for 3 yards and thus open up the running game; one that can buy enough time in the pocket to give receivers time to reroute themselves. The LAST type of QB for this offense is a stationary QB who gives rushers a fixed target, who doesn't pose a running threat, who can't buy time in the pocket, and who has neither the time or accuracy for the long passing game.

This is just one of several facets of offensive mismanagement. And they are all common sense JUDGEMENT errors. For you to try to defend it says a lot about YOUR judgement.
Where do you coach? You seem so knowledgeable...

;)

You have made a judgment on Padilla based on, in your words, a few seconds of game action? Do you realize how dumb and completely ignorant you sound?

JFC. Your opinions are simply tired and largely irrelevant.

Which makes it obvious that it wasn't an original thought.
It wasn’t supposed to be an original thought. We had run jump ball type plays to Smith in previous years to great success, and hadn’t run one through like the first five games last year. Given Petras’ accuracy issues early on, I thought that running that play and letting the receiver try to make something happen was a good idea, which I opined on this board, because I enjoy talking about Iowa sports, and what’s working and what isn’t, and what could work.

Once again, you try to pin me as some self-proclaimed know-it-all who thinks I know better than coaches, when I will readily admit that I don’t. Nor do I consider myself any sort of “thought leader” on Hawkeye sports. So maybe you and your pal @Franisdaman can get off my back and disagree respectfully or with thoughtful discussion instead of name calling and making condescending, sarcastic remarks

Reactions: natchrlman
It wasn’t supposed to be an original thought. We had run jump ball type plays to Smith in previous years to great success, and hadn’t run one through like the first five games last year. Given Petras’ accuracy issues early on, I thought that running that play and letting the receiver try to make something happen was a good idea, which I opined on this board, because I enjoy talking about Iowa sports, and what’s working and what isn’t, and what could work.

Once again, you try to pin me as some self-proclaimed know-it-all who thinks I know better than coaches, when I will readily admit that I don’t. Nor do I consider myself any sort of “thought leader” on Hawkeye sports. So maybe you and your pal @Franisdaman can get off my back and disagree respectfully or with thoughtful discussion instead of name calling and making condescending, sarcastic remarks
I never called you that. Are you feeling a little guilty?

Everyone agrees we need better QB play. Iowa has what on first glance appears to be a very good looking team coming into 2021. We all know that the season could crash around the same QB play we saw in the first two games last season. Petras finished 72nd of what I think are 138 FBS starters in rating-so he really has the definition of an average season, so the Iowa QBing could get a lot worse.

The offensive "operating system" was different last year than the previous Ferentz seasons. Brian is getting more freedom, my theory formed off observation and "what you hear" out of IC. Tyrone Tracy said himself that the offense is becoming more oriented to getting the ball to the play makers. This is a great sign. Of course we are going to be a run oriented team, especially with a 1st team ABT running back. But we are becoming different.

Everyone also surely agrees the coaches know more than any of us about the team and successful football coaching. Their jobs depend on team success. Kirk is a legend but is any coach more than a couple of losing seasons away from the rocking chair? With all the weirdness of 2020, with the operational definition of mediocrity (which is still much better than bad, better to be 72nd than 130) we still won the final six and the two losses were by one score each (and flukish-how many times does your AA center accidently cause your 1st team ABT running back to fumble?); finished the season at national 16. By the historic standards of the last 60 years that is a successful season at Iowa.​

Its probably not going to get any better with the high profile media market teams being able to offer a much greater NIL income from their much larger media markets. People will be begging for top twenty seasons five years from now. So enjoy the wins and try to be less frustrated, and several in recent years are mightily frustrating) by the far fewer losses. We aren't tOSU, we aren't even Wisconsin in the eyes of the world. That makes the wins just that much more fun.

seems to happen regularly on these boards....people making statements they know knowing about yet fell free to criticize. What a joke! Thanks for pointing out the obvious BurgHawk....maybe some will learn to not comment about things they know nothing about...like football and coaching.
Late to the party but he was looking off the "free safety" in this clip, so no he wasn't locked on to one target.

Wait... so there's the team and there's the QB?
And the QB takes the team where ever he goes?
Confused.
If you are unaware of the importance of the player that touches the ball on every offensive play, I cant help you other than, watch more football. Also, you might take note of the quality of QBing on the teams that are very successful. Hint- they have a very good QB.

Correlation 1.0

If you are unaware of the importance of the player that touches the ball on every offensive play, I cant help you other than, watch more football. Also, you might take note of the quality of QBing on the teams that are very successful. Hint- they have a very good QB.

Correlation 1.0

Wait... the Center?
Ah! Linderbaum IS awesome. OK I see it now. Thanks!
Anyway, like I said, Petrass has plenty of room for improvement this year.

Tyler Linderbaum 2.0

Wait... the Center?
Ah! Linderbaum IS awesome. OK I see it now. Thanks!
Anyway, like I said, Petrass has plenty of room for improvement this year.

Tyler Linderbaum 2.0
Yes Petras has room for improvement, that's why iowa was good not great. Now youre helping me prove the QB mostly determined results more than any other position. Good QB=good offense. Great QB = great offense. etc. Iowa was good on offense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT