ADVERTISEMENT

Polasek gone

So we don't have a RB coach or an O line coach,, time to make a splash hire and quick. For the love of goodness don't be another 60 year old retread.
I’ve done some thinking about the RB coach. Obviously, I love the idea of Ladell Betts, but I also began to think of some others. Mark Wiseman could be one that would be a splash, as would Jermelle Lewis.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Ouch.

If I was KF (and I'm obviously not) I'd put any future pay raises toward assistant salaries. Gotta keep try to keep KC and KB as long as possible

Ouch.

If I was KF (and I'm obviously not) I'd put any future pay raises toward assistant salaries. Gotta keep try to keep KC and KB as long as possible
I think Bell might be getting groomed to be the next DC. It’ll either be him or Wallace imo. Copeland is one they’ve got to keep. We can’t afford to lose him.

I’ve done some thinking about the RB coach. Obviously, I love the idea of Ladell Betts, but I also began to think of some others. Mark Wiseman could be one that would be a splash, as would Jermelle Lewis.

The entire sphere of assistant coaches should not be limited to former players. If a former player is a good coach, by all means bring them in. But bring in the best person. Polasek did a great job the last 2 years, unit got much better at pass blocking and more consistent. When you hire really good assistants, they will leave for other jobs if they get the shot. Polasek will now be a coordinator at FBS. From there, could move to coordinator at a P5 job or even a head coach. And Foster has the chance to coach in the NFL.

The entire sphere of assistant coaches should not be limited to former players. If a former player is a good coach, by all means bring them in. But bring in the best person. Polasek did a great job the last 2 years, unit got much better at pass blocking and more consistent. When you hire really good assistants, they will leave for other jobs if they get the shot. Polasek will now be a coordinator at FBS. From there, could move to coordinator at a P5 job or even a head coach. And Foster has the chance to coach in the NFL.
I’m just guessing. I can’t really think of many guys not associated with Iowa. Ladell Betts is my top choice for the next RB coach though.

You guys are missing the real story here. This is the same thing that happened to J. Hayden Fry in his last several years and the team’s recruiting and record started to decline. Coaches are concerned that Ferentz will at some point in the future retire and they better bail now for any good opportunity that comes their way. The only staff that will hang in until his retirement are his sons, son in law, and those close to retirement (Parker) and those no other P5 program wants. Iowa is paying its assistant’s very well compared to everyone but Clemson and Alabama and a very few others. Let’s see who he hires to replace these guys. Will they be real qualified and experienced or will they be on the downhill slide or green. This signals the beginning of the end of the Ferentz era unless he takes things to the next level and wins the West, the BIG and weak Barta passes the torch to Brian.

You guys are missing the real story here. This is the same thing that happened to J. Hayden Fry in his last several years and the team’s recruiting and record started to decline. Coaches are concerned that Ferentz will at some point in the future retire and they better bail now for any good opportunity that comes their way. The only staff that will hang in until his retirement are his sons, son in law, and those close to retirement (Parker) and those no other P5 program wants. Iowa is paying its assistant’s very well compared to everyone but Clemson and Alabama and a very few others. Let’s see who he hires to replace these guys. Will they be real qualified and experienced or will they be on the downhill slide or green. This signals the beginning of the end of the Ferentz era unless he takes things to the next level and wins the West, the BIG and weak Barta passes the torch to Brian.
Let’s not jump off the cliff just yet

Yeah that’s not what is going on. Guys are moving up.

I’m just guessing. I can’t really think of many guys not associated with Iowa. Ladell Betts is my top choice for the next RB coach though.

Pretty sure Betts doesn’t have any interest in being a college coach. At least he made it seem that way in an interview years ago. He wants to be a dad and it seems like high school head coach is all higher he is willing to climb.

He could have changed his mind though.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Yeah that’s not what is going on. Guys are moving up.
He took a pay cut to go to a lesser known team In a weak conference. You might be able to argue he made a resume move but it's pretty hard to justify this as "up" when he is making hundreds of thousands less to leave the b10 and move to larmie Wyoming.

He took a pay cut to go to a lesser known team In a weak conference. You might be able to argue he made a resume move but it's pretty hard to justify this as "up" when he is making hundreds of thousands less to leave the b10 and move to larmie Wyoming.
He wants to be more than an OL coach. If it’s just about money, sure he didn’t move up. But he is an OC now which he wasn’t going to be at Iowa or any other Power conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT