ADVERTISEMENT

Polasek gone

He took a pay cut to go to a lesser known team In a weak conference. You might be able to argue he made a resume move but it's pretty hard to justify this as "up" when he is making hundreds of thousands less to leave the b10 and move to larmie Wyoming.
The guy who got the Montana state job over him was the Wyoming OC so probably a step up.

Reactions: BCDHawk
He took a pay cut to go to a lesser known team In a weak conference. You might be able to argue he made a resume move but it's pretty hard to justify this as "up" when he is making hundreds of thousands less to leave the b10 and move to larmie Wyoming.

Could this be a "we are not going to let you go but I suggest you look around" kinda deals?

Polesek came from a winning culture at NDSU and was starting to really make strides on the recruiting front. Huge loss IMO.

You guys are missing the real story here. This is the same thing that happened to J. Hayden Fry in his last several years and the team’s recruiting and record started to decline. Coaches are concerned that Ferentz will at some point in the future retire and they better bail now for any good opportunity that comes their way. The only staff that will hang in until his retirement are his sons, son in law, and those close to retirement (Parker) and those no other P5 program wants. Iowa is paying its assistant’s very well compared to everyone but Clemson and Alabama and a very few others. Let’s see who he hires to replace these guys. Will they be real qualified and experienced or will they be on the downhill slide or green. This signals the beginning of the end of the Ferentz era unless he takes things to the next level and wins the West, the BIG and weak Barta passes the torch to Brian.
Pump the ****ing brakes!

Reactions: dbrocket
It’s a move up in title but still a lateral move. KF will attract good staff. He needs younger, good, ambitious coaches.

Anybody hired as an OL coach by KF and has success will be a made man in the industry.

And as for RB coaching candidates all you have to say is the last guy here kicked butt and the NFL came and found him in 3 years.

Bell, Copeland, Foster, Polasek injected a lot of needed energy into the program. There’s plenty of young coaches out there we’ve never heard of - I trust KF will find some

You guys are missing the real story here. This is the same thing that happened to J. Hayden Fry in his last several years and the team’s recruiting and record started to decline. Coaches are concerned that Ferentz will at some point in the future retire and they better bail now for any good opportunity that comes their way. The only staff that will hang in until his retirement are his sons, son in law, and those close to retirement (Parker) and those no other P5 program wants. Iowa is paying its assistant’s very well compared to everyone but Clemson and Alabama and a very few others. Let’s see who he hires to replace these guys. Will they be real qualified and experienced or will they be on the downhill slide or green. This signals the beginning of the end of the Ferentz era unless he takes things to the next level and wins the West, the BIG and weak Barta passes the torch to Brian.

Thanks, Doug. Looks like we might as well shut the program down. A guy left for a better job to move up the ladder. It’s over. Later, dudes.

And Bobby Kennedy AND Chris White. But I agree. Generally I think he’s hired very well. Especially recently. Helps that we have a veteran line returning. Two big hires coming though. Both will be very important to recruiting and culture.

And Bobby Kennedy AND Chris White. But I agree. Generally I think he’s hired very well. Especially recently. Helps that we have a veteran line returning. Two big hires coming though. Both will be very important to recruiting and culture.
bb35610f3cbb069ad476b276c2a9f378.gif

This kind of money every year is life changing.

Kelvin Bell, defensive line

FY2020 salary: $375,000

FY2021 salary: $425,000

Raise: $50,000

Kelton Copeland, wide receivers

FY2020 salary: $300,000

FY 2021 salary: $340,000

Raise: $40,000

Brian Ferentz, offensive coordinator/tight ends

FY2020 salary: $785,000

FY2021 salary: $860,000

Raise: $75,000

Derrick Foster, running backs/offensive recruiting coordinator

FY2020 salary: $250,000

FY2021 salary: $290,000

Raise: $40,000

Jay Niemann, assistant defensive line/defensive recruiting coordinator

FY2020 salary: $290,000

FY2021 salary: $340,000

Ken O’Keefe, quarterbacks

FY2020 salary: $625,000

FY2021 salary: $685,000

Raise: $60,000

Phil Parker, defensive coordinator/defensive backs

FY2020 salary: $800,000

FY2021 salary: $890,000

Raise: $90,000

Tim Polasek, offensive line

FY2020 salary: $390,000

FY2021 salary: $440,000

Seth Wallace, linebackers/assistant defensive coordinator

FY2020 salary: $500,000

FY2021 salary: $560,000

Raise: $60,000

LeVar Woods, special teams coordinator

FY2020 salary: $385,000

FY2021 salary: $440,000

Raise: $55,000[/QUOTE]

This year was already a turning point for us, but if Polasek and Foster are really gone, it may be even moreso. We not only need good coaches and energetic recruiters with ties to regions with untapped football talent and who understand the positive aspects of the Iowa culture, we also need guys who will buy into the changes being made in the football program and help drive that forward.

We need special coaches, tbh. There's also a lot of opportunity if we can find them.

Assistant coaches at all the big time programs move around all the time. Some programs even change their OC and DC like my wife changes shoes. They never seem to suffer too much. An asst at Iowa moving just means next man in. Let's just hope it's a good man. But hardly a reason to scream the sky is falling, Chicken Little.

I’m just guessing. I can’t really think of many guys not associated with Iowa. Ladell Betts is my top choice for the next RB coach though.

Why? What is his track record as a RB coach and what/where are his recruiting connections and track record?

Glad the OL recruits from class of ‘21 have signed, just in case this would have been a factor impacting their decision.

Polasek came to Iowa with zero OL coaching experience and did well while getting better and better each year. Sure it shows Polasek was good but to me it demonstrates that the program will always have a solid OL coach with KF at the helm. I would have liked the continuity provided by Polasek but am not worried for this position in the least.

Weisman a "splash"? Nahhhh

Where has Jermelle Lewis been coaching?

Actually Weisman appears to be a very smart, hard working, and driven guy. I don't know if his personality is recruiting oriented, but if so, he looks like an excellent young coaching prospect,
but probably not for these spots at this time.

If Iowa doesn't develop a path for him, I won't be surprised if Doyle pulls him away.

This is a positive for Iowa. For a long time people were bitching about nobody wanting our assistants, and now we're losing two of them who were obviously somewhat sought after. Both were great coaches and will be missed, but I think it's a sign we're on the up and up with our assistant hires again. Good for Tim.

Of course it’s up. Not a higher level of play but from an o line coach to a coordinator. Doubtful a guy ever gets a head job without being a coordinator somewhere. Only you couldn’t figure that out because you want to bitch about everything our FB team and bball team do.

Anyone else find it odd that for 2021, Wallace will make $120,000 more per year than Woods, and Niemann $60,000 more than Foster? Not a good look for our athletic department in my opinion.

Anyone else find it odd that for 2021, Wallace will make $120,000 more per year than Woods, and Niemann $60,000 more than Foster? Not a good look for our athletic department in my opinion.

It’s okay to have that opinion. Nobody should force you to not be impulsive in your thoughts.

Reactions: KatoHawk
I'll say Mike Goff. He went to high school in Illinois, played at Iowa in the 90s, spent some time in the NFL. He also coached offensive line at Western Kentucky the last two years and they had high marks in PFF for the offensive line the last two years. The major reason him and the school seemed to have parted ways is the new offensive coordinator there runs a more uptempo style, something Iowa won't do. I think looking at his ties to Iowa and recent success coaching oline he may be a good fit.

Reactions: amahawk
It’s okay to have that opinion. Nobody should force you to not be impulsive in your thoughts.
Woods has been part of the staff since 2008. His pay level sticks out in comparison to other staff members in my opinion. If you want to classify that as impulsive...go ahead.

Of course it’s up. Not a higher level of play but from an o line coach to a coordinator. Doubtful a guy ever gets a head job without being a coordinator somewhere. Only you couldn’t figure that out because you want to bitch about everything our FB team and bball team do.

Not really relevant to this conversation, but since you're being snarky again, tell me where our current HC
was ever a coordinator. And yes, I know, that's part of his problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT