ADVERTISEMENT

Post Your Unpopular Opinion: Men's Fashion Edition

Yes. With tie, not a problem, because you have top button buttoned and you have a jacket covering the sleeves showing. No tie, then your undershirt has to be v neck or beater.

This is the real issue. V neck undershirts only. And pro tip, go grey with the undershirts... They don't show through like a white shirt can. A guy I work with not only wears shirts two sizes too big, but also always has the (non-V neck) undershirt showing at the top... That's a sloppy look.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
This is the real issue. V neck undershirts only. And pro tip, go grey with the undershirts... They don't show through like a white shirt can. A guy I work with not only wears shirts two sizes too big, but also always has the (non-V neck) undershirt showing at the top... That's a sloppy look.

I don’t wear white dress shirts without a tie and I rarely wear a tie.
Ninety-nine percent of the time I’m open collar with a regular white T beneath it. Why? Because I can.

Your piercings make you look stupid.

Socks don't go with sandals

Button up shirts and polo shirts should be tucked in while in public.

I'm not sure if any of those are too popular but I think my most unpopular opinions would be with dress shoes.

Dress shoes with no laces on them are slippers. They are only barely acceptable if you are over 70. If you are under 70 you should never wear these.

81jNqn1zKyL._UX395_.jpg

This is a slipper, not a shoe.

Dress shoes should be worn only with black or dark blue socks. Not wearing socks with your dress shoes is for dirty hippies.

a1479ea9db7e1de1f4c1c142020675eb.jpg

He looks ridiculous.

Dress shoes with a square toe look ridiculous.

kenneth-cole-shoes.jpg

This look needs to die.

Boots are not dress shoes

61YAuoY6CJL._UY395_.jpg

NO NO NO NO NO

Lets be real the only dress shoes men should wear are black oxfords. All other are stupid.

Agree on some of your points, but not the loafers. If it's business casual they work great... just not the style you posted. Those were terrible. I wouldn't wear loafers with a suit though. Something like these from Cole Haan for business casual:
C29040_E.jpg

Your piercings make you look stupid.

Socks don't go with sandals

Button up shirts and polo shirts should be tucked in while in public.

I'm not sure if any of those are too popular but I think my most unpopular opinions would be with dress shoes.

Dress shoes with no laces on them are slippers. They are only barely acceptable if you are over 70. If you are under 70 you should never wear these.

81jNqn1zKyL._UX395_.jpg

This is a slipper, not a shoe.

Dress shoes should be worn only with black or dark blue socks. Not wearing socks with your dress shoes is for dirty hippies.

a1479ea9db7e1de1f4c1c142020675eb.jpg

He looks ridiculous.

Dress shoes with a square toe look ridiculous.

kenneth-cole-shoes.jpg

This look needs to die.

Boots are not dress shoes

61YAuoY6CJL._UY395_.jpg

NO NO NO NO NO

Lets be real the only dress shoes men should wear are black oxfords. All other are stupid.

you a cop, bro?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Agree on some of your points, but not the loafers. If it's business casual they work great... just not the style you posted. Those were terrible. I wouldn't wear loafers with a suit though. Something like these from Cole Haan for business casual:
C29040_E.jpg
C29040_E.jpg

c2961.jpg

a6eb482b-ca53-4d04-9ebd-b99be272d0d0.jpeg

I don’t wear white dress shirts without a tie and I rarely wear a tie.
Ninety-nine percent of the time I’m open collar with a regular white T beneath it. Why? Because I can.

Everyone laughs at you behind your back and wonders if you will ever dress like an adult.

Everyone laughs at you behind your back and wonders if you will ever dress like an adult.

I dress appropriately for the occasion and not motivated by what people think about it. I got over that when I became an adult.

Are you seriously concerned if people are laughing at you behind your back?

I dress appropriately for the occasion and not motivated by what people think about it. I got over that when I became an adult.

Are you seriously concerned if people are laughing at you behind your back?

Nope. Don’t care. Just letting you know what’s happening. Kudos for not caring.

Reactions: Nipigu
I work with farmers, and when I am doing farm visits in sloppy conditions, I'm certainly not wearing dress shoes. So, what options does that leave for professional looking footware?

Brown cowboy boots with my jeans. Can't wear my tennis shoes, my farm work boots dont look good enough for work, and I'm not ruining dress shoes.

100% agree on cowboy hats. Pointless.

Maybe I should have said the combo. I’m referring to the people who think playing full on cowboy dress up is a good look. Boots with no ten gallon hat, acceptable. Now if you are on horseback ropin’ up some cattle on the ranch, feel free to wear your Garth Brooks apparel.

Reactions: Herkster5
Yes. With tie, not a problem, because you have top button buttoned and you have a jacket covering the sleeves showing. No tie, then your undershirt has to be v neck or beater.

Buy a quality white dress shirt and the type of white shirt underneath doesn’t matter.

Maybe I should have said the combo. I’m referring to the people who think playing full on cowboy dress up is a good look. Boots with no ten gallon hat, acceptable. Now if you are on horseback ropin’ up some cattle on the ranch, feel free to wear your Garth Brooks apparel.

Then I agree 100% with you. Cowboy boots certainly have their place in my work attire when I'm out seeing farmers or need to look decent going out at night, but not overly dressy.

I'll be rocking them tonight.

I’m not gonna lie- I’m considered a slob by most of you in here. I wear jeans, black slip on shoes, a brown belt, and either an untucked polo; or plaid type shirt with a vest. Almost every day.

I also throw a hat on backwards and sweats to run to the grocery.

Regular fit dress shirts need to vanish. Why is there so much extra fabric? I bought a white dress shirt last year for a wedding and made the mistake of not looking at the cut first. Never again. That thing nearly could have been used for a parachute. Slim fit only thank you.

Any good tailor will trim all of that extra fabric out for $35-40. It takes about a week, and allows you to shop at the Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers stores (or Paul Stuart of course if you work around there). They have some gorgeous dress or dressy casual shirts. and you do not have to buy 3-5 at a time.

You will no longer have to avoid the sea of dress shirts between the door and the mens suit section. This can be painful, knowing that not one shirt in that area will fit.

Wrong. Some of you clearly don't have Scandinavian blood in you. Those that sweat should always wear a t-shirt under any dress shirt. Nobody wants to see your pit stains.

enjoy your manty line.

fix the root cause, don’t mask it with a terrible looking undershirt.

what exactly would that root cause be? I like the cold. I don't complain about it. But if I am dressed to look good and I am in a warm environment, I don't want pit stains.

If your pits are so sweaty that regular antiperspirant doesn’t protect you, look into Botox. Then you can actually be dressed to look good and not dressed like an eighth grader worried about sweating through a Van Heusen.

If your pits are so sweaty that regular antiperspirant doesn’t protect you, look into Botox. Then you can actually be dressed to look good and not dressed like an eighth grader worried about sweating through a Van Heusen.

I wear t-shirts year round under everything. Sorry, I love Magnum PI the original show, but I don't want to look like him in real life with the shirts showing chest. More power to you Ronnie.

magnum_pi_selleck_5_-_h_2017_0.jpg

Reactions: beanerhawk
Men have really been pushing the boundaries with brown shoes and suits lately. It used to be brown and grey pants were fine. Now, we have guys going dark navy, dark grey, and sometimes even black (gasp) with brown shoes. Admittedly, I’m a bit on the color blind side of things, but you shouldn’t push this too far. When in doubt and going dark, go black belt/shoes.

Men have really been pushing the boundaries with brown shoes and suits lately. It used to be brown and grey pants were fine. Now, we have guys going dark navy, dark grey, and sometimes even black (gasp) with brown shoes. Admittedly, I’m a bit on the color blind side of things, but you shouldn’t push this too far. When in doubt and going dark, go black belt/shoes.

So this offends you?

best-25-blue-suit-brown-shoes-ideas-on-pinterest-brown-tie-blue-suit-l-33ecc5d86234f0dd.jpg

Stop wearing white tee shirts under your white dress shirt. You look ridiculous.

I know I'm late to the party but I will defend this.

Granted you shouldn't be able to notice the white T-shirt.

But if you are going someplace or doing something where sweating is likely, having a white T-shirt underneath to absorb the sweat is superior to having a dress shirt with large wet spots all over it.

At any wedding there always seems to be that one guy who doesn't know this.

Last edited:
Regular fit dress shirts need to vanish. Why is there so much extra fabric? I bought a white dress shirt last year for a wedding and made the mistake of not looking at the cut first. Never again. That thing nearly could have been used for a parachute. Slim fit only thank you.

Perhaps you should just learn how to buy clothing in your size...

This kind of shit actually bothers people?

Yep. Cracks me up.

I will guarantee anybody posting anything they hate hear also wears something or practices some fashion other haters in this thread will despise.

The ONLY fashion thought I adhere to is "dress like you know your audience when out in public". Otherwise, I don't truly give a shit what anybody thinks of how I dress, nor give a shit about how anybody else dresses.

Reactions: jellyfish10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT