ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Grades

Total sarcasm, my friend. But for some on this site that's what they want to see. They don't want you to be critical of any of our wrestlers, and if for some reason one of our wrestlers doesn't do anything but hang out for the entire 7 minutes without taking a shot they want you to embrace that performance and blame it on anything except the possibility that the wrestler wrestled like poo poo. I thought Art's grading was pretty spot on and that as some have indicated it was a pretty lame first dual of the season for some of our wrestlers. But just the same I thought I'd better give everyone A's so some of our more sensitive readers don't get their panties in a bunch. :)

Holy shit, everyone is aware that this was the first dual of the season in which 5 starters were absent, right? Reminds me of last year's UT-Chattanooga dual in which a couple guys were absent and others looked out of sorts. I recall everyone screaming the sky was falling and wanting to hand PSU the trophy then, it ended up working out. I didn't like the lack of dominance last night either, but I think we all need to take a step back and let this develop, we're gonna be alright in the long run.

Holy shit, everyone is aware that this was the first dual of the season in which 5 starters were absent, right? Reminds me of last year's UT-Chattanooga dual in which a couple guys were absent and others looked out of sorts. I recall everyone screaming the sky was falling and wanting to hand PSU the trophy then, it ended up working out. I didn't like the lack of dominance last night either, but I think we all need to take a step back and let this develop, we're gonna be alright in the long run.
I suspect you are greatly overestimating the amount of "sky is falling" fans on here. I doubt a single poster on here now thinks we won't win the natty because of last night.

Sounds like Ayers is a big fat liar. For one, they knew Spencer wasn't going all week. Glory would not have been trying to make weight at all which it's been proven he was. Second, he would rather sit a highly favored guy and give up a likely 9 or more team point swing? That's not doing his job as coach of the team. Lastly the logic that we are not going to wrestle if the guy we wanted to wrestle isn't going is moron logic. The sport would be dead in short order if teams went by that logic. What a clown 🤡.

Ayers is a high quality guy who, I suspect, is trying to protect his wrestler.

Reactions: el dub
High-quality people don't flat-out lie.

But moving on.

I know Chris, and he is a high quality guy who is good for the sport. It certainly appears that Glory pulled a big time boner and was catching a lot of flack for it, so his coach stepped in to play the part of Winston Wolf and clean things up. And my guess is the last couple of days have been very bad ones for Mr Glory, in the privacy of the practice room.

I realize I am biased here, but coach is a stand up guy.

Reactions: pumpdog20
I know Chris, and he is a high quality guy who is good for the sport. It certainly appears that Glory pulled a big time boner and was catching a lot of flack for it, so his coach stepped in to play the part of Winston Wolf and clean things up. And my guess is the last couple of days have been very bad ones for Mr Glory, in the privacy of the practice room.

You're a stand-up guy for sticking up for him. So I won 't over-judge the guy, whom I don't know from a hole in the wall. That said, his Twitter quote was: "A lot of misinformation out there. To be clear…we prepared for one guy. He wasn’t going to weigh in. So we didn’t weigh in. End of story." But it wasn't "end of story." It was a flat-out lie, and someone called him out on it. Good. Lying to cover up the fact that your athlete failed to make weight isn't helping anyone. It's kinda crappy in multiple ways. So I'll take your word for it that he's a good guy, but I won't trust anything that comes out of his mouth going forward. If you're a friend of his, please tell him that the correct quote in that situation is, "We need to be more disciplined in our preparation, and that includes managing our weight and nutrition properly. Hopefully a lesson learned early in the season." Not some silly cover-up load of horse manure. It doesn't reflect well on him.

Do you believe he is a stand up guy if he didn't stand up for the truth but intentionally lied to us all? I'm not saying he did. I don't know.

Sounding like both parties stories could be true. Glory get there he's practicing hard checks and his weight. Puts clothes back on goes hard for awhile checks weight again is a little over and stops and doesn't weigh in. Princeton side of things he gets going cutting his weight they are like maybe Iowa does wrestle Lee. Glory is cutting checks weight starts again they realize Spencer is in street clothes and they tell Glory forget it

Nope, I spoke to folks that watched Glory cut up until he ran out of time and simply said I'm done and he couldn't make the weight. There were folks in the wrestling room that saw the whole thing and one of them posted as such. It really would not have been a big deal, had Ayers just told the truth and said, it was a fast turn around from U23 Worlds, he let his weight get up too high and couldn't get it back down. Simple, truthful (novel concept) and, yes, then the case is closed. Here is my sentiment. I don't believe Ayers is a good guy. Good guys don't blatantly lie and great coaches don't make excuses for their athletes. They teach honesty and accountability. Tom's answer to the question about Big Cass was honest and he put the accountability on Big Cass and said it's going to hurt tonight and that sucks, but he has to feel that situation and react. That's on him and he will learn from it. Folks, that's honest and that's good coaching. My prediction is that Princeton will stay where they are as a program... Ayers took a program forward due to a good work ethic and some apparent enhanced recruiting, but to take the next step, Ayers shows me he doesn't have it. He lied, he made an excuse for his athlete, he showed me his athlete is probably more in charge than he is of the program, because he was apparently fearful of saying what needed to be said.

One last point, it was announced that Spencer wasn't going far in advance of Princeton leaving for their trip. They have three 125 wrestlers listed on their roster. Why didn't they bring one if they knew Glory wasn't going to weigh in. It really is sad on Ayers behalf. A good guy Ayers is not, but he did prove himself to be an average coach.

Last edited:

Stand up guys don't flat out lie. End of story whether he's your buddy or not.

Stand up guys don't flat out lie. End of story whether he's your buddy or not.
Lol What gives?

I know someone popular around here who verifiably lies from the time the sun comes up to the time it goes down. Each and every day. If his lips are moving he’s lying. And some of the very best people around here still like him just fine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: edohawk
The fact that he lied isnt a huge deal to me, everybody fibs from time to time.

The fact that he tried to use the bad press of his guy missing weight to shift negativity towards our program is a bunch of bs and pisses me off.

There's a million lies he could've come up with to make missing weight not look so bad, but to make the conscious effort to try using it to put a negative light on Iowa shows exactly what kind of person he is, IMO.

Lol What gives?

I know someone popular around here who verifiably lies from the time the sun comes up to the time it goes down. Each and every day. If his lips are moving he’s lying. And some of the very best people around here still like him just fine.
now that's a lie

Reactions: el dub
I like Ayres a lot. I think he's a great coach who felt the need to protect his guy. I suspect it was a half lie. I suspect Glory's screw up came from a mental/emotional let down when he found out he wasn't getting a crack at Spencer (combine that with this being Princeton's first dual in 2 years and on the road and he's a big 125). It sounds like he came in way over, cut hard for a couple hours trying to make it, and at some point they came to conclusion "why are we even doing this?" and called it off. Would Glory have wrestled Ybarra if he had been able to get down? Yeah, that's why he was on the trip. When it was clear it was going to be brutal to get that last half pound off in 20 minutes, they probably decided it wasn't worth it. I'm guessing if they could do it over again, they would have just left him in NJ.

Here are my grades:

125: A- Would have been nice to watch a match but at least both wrestlers showed up.
133: A ADS rocked it!! Good TF!
141: A- Excellent effort. We didn't take many shots, but not to worry, Lee, Micic and Rivera will come to you.
149: A This kid came to wrestle and put on a show; reminded me of the first time I saw Spencer Lee. Loved it!!
157: A- Outstanding effort against a superior opponent. Hopefully Monday will be nicer next time.
165: A- Great showing. Not much scoring but a win is a win.
174: A Very entertaining. Brands was always trying to score points. Good job!
184: A Loved watching Myles wrestle; he never stopped trying to score points. Good TF!
197: A- Excellent effort against a superior opponent. Hope we don't face many more guys like that.
285: A- Great effort by the U23 world champion! Tried for the pin, but it didn't work out.

Overall team score: A/A- Some of these men really came out to put on a show for the fans who love watching Iowa wrestling. As for the rest, they gave it their all...and we'll get em next time. Let's just hope that PSU wrestlers aren't as mean to us as some of those Princeton wrestlers were. :)
Lol

If you learn how to hit that grey area, hit me up, for I need a ton of advice with that! 😆

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Couple quick comments. Someone said and I agree Cass did not look pinned. Either way he made a huge mistake allowing himself to get there. Unreal how much smaller his legs are this year. Watch to see if this is a legit issue against the Monsters in the class.
If you ever wrestled and cut weight yourself you know how hard it is to cut through Thanksgiving and Xmas. Removing one of those would be a huge huge advantage to any wrestler that is cutting. Starting the season after Thanksgiving makes sense to me especially when the prize is in March.

No idea why everyone is off but managing activity of athletes is one of the hottest topics for coaches these days in all sports. It's happening everywhere and for good reason for the athlete. Sucks for the fan

Lol What gives?

Yeah, I don't like that guy either. For that very reason. To each his own.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Nope, I spoke to folks that watched Glory cut up until he ran out of time and simply said I'm done and he couldn't make the weight. There were folks in the wrestling room that saw the whole thing and one of them posted as such. It really would not have been a big deal, had Ayers just told the truth and said, it was a fast turn around from U23 Worlds, he let his weight get up too high and couldn't get it back down. Simple, truthful (novel concept) and, yes, then the case is closed. Here is my sentiment. I don't believe Ayers is a good guy. Good guys don't blatantly lie and great coaches don't make excuses for their athletes. They teach honesty and accountability. Tom's answer to the question about Big Cass was honest and he put the accountability on Big Cass and said it's going to hurt tonight and that sucks, but he has to feel that situation and react. That's on him and he will learn from it. Folks, that's honest and that's good coaching. My prediction is that Princeton will stay where they are as a program... Ayers took a program forward due to a good work ethic and some apparent enhanced recruiting, but to take the next step, Ayers shows me he doesn't have it. He lied, he made an excuse for his athlete, he showed me his athlete is probably more in charge than he is of the program, because he was apparently fearful of saying what needed to be said.

One last point, it was announced that Spencer wasn't going far in advance of Princeton leaving for their trip. They have three 125 wrestlers listed on their roster. Why didn't they bring one if they knew Glory wasn't going to weigh in. It really is sad on Ayers behalf. A good guy Ayers is not, but he did prove himself to be an average coach.
Princeton roster may list 3 125 but according to wrestlestat the other two have been at 133

CS needs to claim that spot at 149. Looks like the fifth year senior is fourth string at this weight. I’m surprised that spot on the roster didn’t go to a youngster with potential to develop at a needed weight.

I have a tough time figuring out why we have no better options at 157 after all of these years.
One daughter

Kelly weighs in (see what I did there😉):

Yeah right Ayers. Has a chance to wrestle in front of 1000s in Carver on Big10plus and whiffs. Take your boy back to Princeton and enjoy the 50 or so people that come out and watch in your gym. Next time you want to come to Carver, hope your told, nah not who we wanted to wrestle.

Reactions: Spoons
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT