ADVERTISEMENT

Projected starting 5

You bastard! How DARE you bring up a relevant basketball topic!
😉

Now regarding your post, I can see Joe T getting the start. Just because of what he brings that is different from the other 5, he should be on the floor. It may be sacrilege but bringing JoBo off the bench will be that X-factor that will make Iowa a difficult team to face for guard matchups.

Another thing that I know has been mentioned is that Iowa needs to keep some of the top 5 on the floor at all times when the game is in doubt. I hope we never see more than 2 players at a time checking in.

You bastard! How DARE you bring up a relevant basketball topic!
😉

Now regarding your post, I can see Joe T getting the start. Just because of what he brings that is different from the other 5, he should be on the floor. It may be sacrilege but bringing JoBo off the bench will be that X-factor that will make Iowa a difficult team to face for guard matchups.

Another thing that I know has been mentioned is tha Iowa needs to keep some of the top 5 on the floor at all times when the game is in doubt. I hope we never see more than 2 players at a time checking in.
I think that JorBo should come off the bench but I don’t think he will. Fran wants to get off to fast starts offensively and JorBo has the best shot out of anyone on the team. If Fran did bring him off the bench, it would be better because Joe T creates mayhem and his speed is unrivaled.

Agree with OP that's what the lineup will be, and agree with others that it should be Joe T starting and JBo off the bench. Both can average around the same number of minutes, but I think it sets up better rotation wise to have another plus defender in there with Fredrick to stop other teams top guards, and then have one shooter that we can bring off the bench. If JBo starts I envision stretches where all of JBo, Fredrick, and Weiskamp are on the bench at the same time. Who's going to stretch the defense to the 3pt line if that's the case?

G: JorBo
G: Frederick
G: Conner
G: Weezy
C: Garza

Next in:
Joe T
Nunge
Ulis
Perkins
PMac

Reminds me a bit of the mid 90's Houston Rockets championship teams - All world Hakeem Olajuwon surrounded by a bunch of very capable playmaker/shooters. Count me in!

Obviously McCaffery has a lot of weapons in his arsenal. Even non-Iowa fans recognize the worth of our starting unit, thus the high pre-season ranking. The true question will be answered by the reserves. We know that JBo/JT will be effective. Will Patrick play like the ranked 4 star designation given to him? Will Nunge be able to regain the form he played with last season that won him a starting job before his injury? Will any of the freshman be able to play at this level this season? The B1G is a major step up from any HS league. Given the coronavirus, depth might be even more important than usual. Assuming all goes well, and the season get played, it ought to be a helluva ride to the end.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
I think Bohannon comes off the bench is does phenomenal also.

Here is mine:
Luka
Connor
JW
CJF
Nunge or JO

Here is my second lineup middish first half: Garza, JW, JT, Nunge/JO, Bohannon.

Reminds me a bit of the mid 90's Houston Rockets championship teams - All world Hakeem Olajuwon surrounded by a bunch of very capable playmaker/shooters. Count me in!
Except at Iowa we go by the moniker, “Phi Hamma Jamma”
basketballpig.jpg

Reactions: zachbacker54

Garza = Olajuwon
Toussaint = Cassell
Bohannon = Smith
Fredrick = Elie
Wieskamp = Drexler
C McCaffery = Horry
P McCaffery = Thorpe

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
If JBo doesn't start, which I doubt actually happens, it's not going to be Nunge or Ogundele filling his spot on the floor, it would be Joe T.

Which would make sense also. I do think woth the likes of Illinois, MSU, Gonzaga and some of Iowa’s bigger games, I do think they should go with a bigger lineup and have JT or Connor at point.

Everyone who thinks JT should start is crazy. I like that he can come in and play D for a couple of minutes each half but he is not in JBO’s category. I know that Garza is our best player but JBO is the straw that stirs this drink. We are a top 8 team with JBO and top 25ish team without him. JT will have his time to shine but it won’t be this year.

Everyone who thinks JT should start is crazy. I like that he can come in and play D for a couple of minutes each half but he is not in JBO’s category. I know that Garza is our best player but JBO is the straw that stirs this drink. We are a top 8 team with JBO and top 25ish team without him. JT will have his time to shine but it won’t be this year.

Can only laugh at this guy...wants Toussaint to play 4 minutes a game. Wow.

With JBo and Frederick injury prone or with the potential for injury, JoeT and Connor will be playing the guard positions when needed. Iowa can spread these guys out and use Connor down low with his height.
Add in the true freshman guards and Iowa will stout with Ulis and Perkins helping out or seeing time at the end of games gaining experience.

Toussaint will likely play 15-20 minutes a game, perhaps more if foul trouble or if he earns more time. Bohannon has a chance to be the all-time leader in Big 10 3 pointers. If he's healthy, his ability to force teams to guard him out to 25 feet opens up space for everyone else, plus his ability to hit shots late in games.

The cool part is we can see how the season plays out. If Toussaint has improved his decision making a lot, he will be a lot more valuable.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
I think you start Jbo and you start in zone. If the other team is lighting up the 3pt line, you pull JBo and go man to man.

Reactions: CaboKP
It's always nice to have more than 5 guys that deserve a starting assignment. Then you get to mix and match players to try to get 5 on the floor for the entire game that are potent.

For example, CMac - smart, steady, tough, doesn't give up the ball - but needs to have some shooters in the game to spread the floor.

Garza - do you surround him with quickness and shooters or another inside guy to take some pressure off of him in the middle?

JBo - all-time Hawkeye great. Put him in with the 2's to take pressure off of them? Or, put him in with the 1's to be awesome?

Rookies - how do you mix them in? You don't desperately need them barring injuries, but injuries are likely. Plus, there is 21/22 to consider. Spot them in with the 1's? Or, the 2's?

Two things are certain - 1) it's going to be a super interesting season! And 2) every game they lose will be Fran's fault!
;)

Bohannon has over 100 career starts. He's a fifth-year senior and a team leader. You don't keep that kind of experience on the bench. If he's healthy, Bohannon will start. The real question is whether he starts at point guard or shooting guard.

I agree with OP: Fran will start the season with Bohannon, Fredrick, Wieskamp, Connor and Garza, and adjust as necessary going forward.

Bohannon has over 100 career starts. He's a fifth-year senior and a team leader. You don't keep that kind of experience on the bench. If he's healthy, Bohannon will start. The real question is whether he starts at point guard or shooting guard.

I agree with OP: Fran will start the season with Bohannon, Fredrick, Wieskamp, Connor and Garza, and adjust as necessary going forward.
I said it last year and I’ll say it again: Fredrick ain’t going to the bench. If Jordan starts, it’ll be at the 1

Reactions: BBHawk
Last year without JBO, Joe T only played 2 minutes in many a half’s. Sometimes that was 2 minutes too many.
He was a freshman and Fran kept a short leash to avoid allowing mistakes to snowball imo. His consistency (and minutes per game) improved during conference play. Joe averaged nearly 18 mpg across all games and Fran had said that he’s playing like a senior in practice (yes, take this with a chunk of salt). I think he gets a longer leash this year and averages ~15 mpg again. Keep in mind we lost Bakari Evelyn and that Bohannon will eat into some of those minutes as well, not just Toussaint’s

Reactions: perryhawk
Last year when JBo was coming off the bench to start the season (granted, working his way back from injury) the team looked out of sorts. Gets inserted into the starting lineup a few games later...team looks much better.

JBo starts. Joe T will get plenty of mins.

Last year when JBo was coming off the bench to start the season (granted, working his way back from injury) the team looked out of sorts. Gets inserted into the starting lineup a few games later...team looks much better.

JBo starts. Joe T will get plenty of mins.

That's when Nunge was starting in our stupid two center lineup. That wasn't necessarily because JBo came off the bench. He can come off the bench and still get starters minutes.

Reactions: Hawktucson
Toussaint will likely play 15-20 minutes a game, perhaps more if foul trouble or if he earns more time. Bohannon has a chance to be the all-time leader in Big 10 3 pointers. If he's healthy, his ability to force teams to guard him out to 25 feet opens up space for everyone else, plus his ability to hit shots late in games.

The cool part is we can see how the season plays out. If Toussaint has improved his decision making a lot, he will be a lot more valuable.
It may depend on the matchups, as to how many minutes JT plays. 20-22 maybe. JBO back, opens everything up, like you said!

G: JorBo
G: Frederick
G: Conner
G: Weezy
C: Garza

Next in:
Joe T
Nunge
Ulis
Perkins
PMac
it will be interesting to see what Fran does w/ the 5 freshman. None have to redshirt, of course.

hopefully there are some blow outs where he can see how certain line ups perform.

with covid and the 21 day sit out if you test positive, its all hands on deck.

I don't think there's any way that Jordan doesn't start. And I wouldn't be surprised to see both he and Joe T in the game during crunch time, especially if we have a lead.

I think that JorBo should come off the bench but I don’t think he will. Fran wants to get off to fast starts offensively and JorBo has the best shot out of anyone on the team. If Fran did bring him off the bench, it would be better because Joe T creates mayhem and his speed is unrivaled.
I like this idea as well but you are right I think Fran will start him.

If we didn't have Connor, I could see JT starting, but he's a perfect PG for this offense. Great passer, great IQ, mentally tough, and the coach's son.

OK, OK that's what I want for a lineup... Quicker defense and still plenty of offense.... But JoBo does deserve to start. He's more than earned it. And Fran will start him.

Now, if we get hammered with some slow starts on the defensive end, then maybe Joe T. Although I see Fran having him just be the first one off the bench quicker than usual.

Luka
CJF
Weezy
Connor
Joe T

Next 5:
JoBo
Nunge
PMac
Perkins
Ulis

If we have learned anything from Football it is that this season will be totally unpredictable. With the virus increasing, especially in Iowa, it will be essential to have a deep squad. There will be many interesting decisions to make: How will the team handle logistics such as room assignments & seating arrangements when they travel. Internal team leadership will be essential to keep the team as safe and healthy as possible.

PG -- Jordan B, Joe T, Connor
2G - CJF, Jordan, Joe W
3 - Weezie, PMac, Connor
4 - PMac, Jack, Connor, Kreegan
5- Garzilla, Jack

If Patrick McCaffery is healthy and I think he is, he starts. Need the length and passing that
Patrick brings with his game. Or, perhaps Jack has come back stronger than I realize.

#gohawks

2G - CJF, Jordan, Joe W
3 - Weezie, PMac, Connor
5- Garzilla, Jack

If Patrick McCaffery is healthy and I think he is, he starts. Need the length and passing that
Patrick brings with his game. Or, perhaps Jack has come back stronger than I realize.

#gohawks
I'm sorry, but you clearly don't understand the importance of CMC, especially in a lineup with Fredrick and Jbo (neither of which I would classify as good passers/playmakers). CMC will be in the starting lineup as he provides a unique skillset as a forward, and will be the best playmaker in the starting lineup (assuming Joe T comes off the bench, which I think he will.)

1 - JBo/Joe T/Ulis
2 - CJF/Jbo/Perkins
3 - Weezy/Pmac/One of the Murrays
4 - CMC/Pmac/One of the Murrays
5 - Garza/Nunge/Josh O

I see the majority of the minutes going to the 5 starters, Joe T, Pmac, Nunge, and whatever one of the Murrays or Perkins stands out the most, as Connor can play guard or forward, so you take the best one out of that last group.

2G - CJF, Jordan, Joe W
3 - Weezie, PMac, Connor
5- Garzilla, Jack

#gohawks

I'm excited to see what Patrick can do now that he's put on some weight and gotten healthier, but with all the experience on this roster his most effective role will be as a spark plug off the bench. Start Connor at the 4, and sub in Patrick and Jack as needed.

You make a good point with your lineup, which is that we have tremendous position flexibility with this team. Connor can play pretty much anywhere, Jordan can man the 1 or 2, Fredrick can play the 2 or 3, Wieskamp can play 2-4, Patrick can step in at the 3 or 4, Jack can be a 4 or a 5, and the Murrays can slot in at the 3 or the 4. In fact, the only major contributors who are locked into a single position are Toussaint and Garza.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT