ADVERTISEMENT

PSU grades

Kinda my view, as well .

And I hope I never have to watch Ybarra ever wrestle again. He's brutal. Not anywhere close to B1G level talent.

Man I think you guys are being harsh on Ybarra. If he wasn't "anywhere close to B1G talent level," he would've gotten teched or pinned by Hildebrandt who is a 6th year senior that got 4th at NCAA's last year. Meanwhile Ybarra had 0 matches prior to this year and was about 3 seconds away from keeping it to a decision. C- at worst IMO.

Nope. I feel the same way. Penn State has a couple dead weights. 149 & 157. Iowa can score at 9/10 weights. Not sure about Ayala but if he gets back he could qualify and score also. All is certainly not lost..

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I think you are wrong. I really don’t think their wrestlers are judged because of the way their fans carry themselves here. I think most fans have mad respect for their athletes and have nothing but good things to say about them. Well, all but one of them. I’ve met quite a few of them, Spencer, Kem, Max, those kids aren’t fake. They are as they seem to be, polite and very respectful. Most fans know this and don’t hold it against them because of the low class fans here that cry that other programs are cheating, parents and wrestlers taking bribes, wrestlers being on steroids …etc etc…
Seems obvious right? It's like saying because someone threw a bottle it reflects on all Iowa posters on the cesspool, strange. Honestly, it's kinda weird that so many ardent PSU homers hang out around here....some days I want to bait some rat traps and leave them lying around.

Reactions: SDHN2013
That would be my reply as a respectable iowa fan too.
Because it's the truth. Some jackass comes here and makes fun of Warner "moaning" and we're supposed to take your claims seriously?

I'd love to see your reaction in the same situation as Warner. My guess is you wouldn't be able to get up. But you're an internet tough guy.

Am I the only one that feels better about March now than I did going in to tonight?

Great win by Cass and despite being dinged at 133, 141 and 174 we are right there with the #1 ranked guys.

Agreed. I entered this meet prepared to get blown out and feel resigned to another PSU championship. We clearly are not the favorite, but we have a fighting chance.

125 - didn’t learn anything

133 - I was a little afraid RBY had opened the gap, but he has not

141 - as expected

149 - happy will the result. BB did not look good, which is helpful

157 - biggest disappointment. I can’t see KY scoring meaningful points

165 - not only did Bull look good, but importantly Berge did not

174 - honestly happy with Kemdawg. This lays to rest lingering doubts that he is too injured to make it to the finals. Five more weeks of recovery could make the difference. As is he looks to still be our best guy right now.

184 - as expected

197 - a little disappointing, but not much

HWT - big sigh of relief considering the Michigan match

Nope. I feel the same way. Penn State has a couple dead weights. 149 & 157. Iowa can score at 9/10 weights. Not sure about Ayala but if he gets back he could qualify and score also. All is certainly not lost..

Ybarra is essentially 3rd string. Maybe 4th if the rumor of Schriever going down is true. I think the fact that a 3rd/4th string guy was seconds away from keeping last year's 4th place finisher to a decision is evidence of Iowa's depth..

And PSU has 1 dead weight. 157. Bartlett could very well beat Murin next time and has already beaten last year's 6th place finisher.

I guess if you can support your “internet tough guy” claims we can address them.

I don’t care what claims you take seriously, I don’t care if anything I type effects you in any way. I’ve watched a lot of matches in CHA and lastnite was by far the worst representation of fans I’ve ever experienced. If the truth bothers you, I apologize.
I wasn't there, so idk if your story is true - it doesn't seem implausible. Any time you get 15,000 people in that type of environment and the results are disappointing, it can happen that there will be a few bad apples. It does not represent the fan base as a whole. I know more than a few PSU fans personally that have said and done much worse than this (albeit football fans - as you well know PSU only gets about 6,000 to wrestling meets)

Reactions: raslen007
I guess if you can support your “internet tough guy” claims we can address them.

I don’t care what claims you take seriously, I don’t care if anything I type effects you in any way. I’ve watched a lot of matches in CHA and lastnite was by far the worst representation of fans I’ve ever experienced. If the truth bothers you, I apologize.
Nothing you say bothers me. Don't take me calling out your bullshit as it bothering me.

I wasn't there, so idk if your story is true - it doesn't seem implausible. Any time you get 15,000 people in that type of environment and the results are disappointing, it can happen that there will be a few bad apples. It does not represent the fan base as a whole. I know more than a few PSU fans personally that have said and done much worse than this (albeit football fans - as you well know PSU only gets about 6,000 to wrestling meets)
PSU has a football coach who tried to cover up rape allegations by his players at Vanderbilt. They hired him after the Sandusky mess. Any attempt by any of their fans to take a moral high ground is hypocrisy at its finest.

Ybarra is essentially 3rd string. Maybe 4th if the rumor of Schriever going down is true. I think the fact that a 3rd/4th string guy was seconds away from keeping last year's 4th place finisher to a decision is evidence of Iowa's depth..

And PSU has 1 dead weight. 157. Bartlett could very well beat Murin next time and has already beaten last year's 6th place finisher.
Haven't had a chance to read the rest of the board yet - I was going to ask about the possibility of Schriever at 125. When was his last weigh in? First possible date at 125 with descension rules?

1. How does Rivera keep finding work?
2. Why do we always seem to end up having him
3. Why is he allowed to even do Iowa matches

1. How does Rivera keep finding work?
2. Why do we always seem to end up having him
3. Why is he allowed to even do Iowa matches?
I would also add it would not be an iowa home meet without clock troubles or confusion.

From watching live Rivera did call the 2 for kem after time, but Kemmerer had 2 before time ran out he just didn't call it.

I absolutely don’t think it represents the whole Iowa fan base. It doesn’t. I had a great time talking with several ppl sitting around us, and they were very respectful and friendly. The ppl sitting down in front of us, not so much. I can see the friendly heckling and gaming, but the things being yelled to PSU wrestlers and coaches by a some fans was mind blowing to me. I’ve never experienced those kinda personal attacks from Iowa fans in my experience at Carver.

"Kidwicked said:
After hearing and and seeing the things I did last nite, I can assure you Iowa fans live up to the cesspool reputation. A gentleman sat beside me lastnite that had his 2 young boys with him for their first Carver dual. By the conclusion of the 141 match he told me he’d never come back, and that he was embarrassed to say he’s an Iowa fan. Idc how many titles you’ve won, idc about a legacy, none of that matters to me when a fan base has the morals of yours. It’s sad the wrestlers get judged by the fans. Truly, truly appalling to sit and listen to it."

You've presented at least twice in this thread as if you feel that way - The truth of the matter is Iowa gets A LOT of young passionate (immature) fans that attend wrestling meets. Mix in The new development of alcohol sales in college venues and I'm not sure what you'd expect.

PSU fans don't get to play a moral high ground. You guys have some good fans and some bad just like Iowa. The fact that you immediately run over here to bash Iowa fans without any critical thinking lets me know exactly the type that we're dealing with here

125 - f (sucks to have to put 3rd string guy out there but what can you do? Injuries suck.)
133 - c+. As others mentioned he did a much better job getting to legs but then he just stopped wrestling. Definitely closer match than any last year though.
141 - c+. OT was sloppy. Definitely a winnable match (duh)
149 - b+. Did what was expected.
157 - b+. See above.
165 - a. Marinelli had fire in his belly and worked hard for that major. Never a question of who was better here.
174 - b+. A loss but what a match. For being 1 to 1 so late the amount of action was certainly impressive. Would like to see a little more offense from kem vs counter wrestling but also acknowledge he's obviously not at 100%.
184 - c. Kept it to a decision but I think that was also brooks not committing to the bonus. Needs more offense but that's also hard to find when wrestling the #1 kid.
197 - oof. So close to a good grade but the final sequence(s) were just brutal. D.
285 - a. After giving up the first TD it was all Cass. Solid top game and the upper body ties were top notch. Props to vakattack for suggesting this as a winning strategy.

Haven't had a chance to read the rest of the board yet - I was going to ask about the possibility of Schriever at 125. When was his last weigh in? First possible date at 125 with descension rules?
He's a 133. Didn't cert at 125

I'm not sure. Saw someone here say he last weighed in at NW, but saw somewhere (not sure if true) that he weighed in last night at 133 but no clue at what exact weight if so

Man I think you guys are being harsh on Ybarra. If he wasn't "anywhere close to B1G talent level," he would've gotten teched or pinned by Hildebrandt who is a 6th year senior that got 4th at NCAA's last year. Meanwhile Ybarra had 0 matches prior to this year and was about 3 seconds away from keeping it to a decision. C- at worst IMO.
Ybarra had one, and only one, job last nite.

I go back to even the Army dual. Absolutely no semblance of an offensive arsenal.

"Kidwicked said:
After hearing and and seeing the things I did last nite, I can assure you Iowa fans live up to the cesspool reputation. A gentleman sat beside me lastnite that had his 2 young boys with him for their first Carver dual. By the conclusion of the 141 match he told me he’d never come back, and that he was embarrassed to say he’s an Iowa fan. Idc how many titles you’ve won, idc about a legacy, none of that matters to me when a fan base has the morals of yours. It’s sad the wrestlers get judged by the fans. Truly, truly appalling to sit and listen to it."

You've presented at least twice in this thread as if you feel that way - The truth of the matter is Iowa gets A LOT of young passionate (immature) fans that attend wrestling meets. Mix in The new development of alcohol sales in college venues and I'm not sure what you'd expect.

PSU fans don't get to play a moral high ground. You guys have some good fans and some bad just like Iowa. The fact that you immediately run over here to bash Iowa fans without any critical thinking lets me know exactly the type that we're dealing with here

I didn’t run over here to bash anyone, I’ve been here. I can promise you, I won’t be taking any of my 4 young sons to CHA for a PSU match, after what I saw and heard last nite. Take that as moral high ground, or anyway you wanna take it.

Absolutely. It came from section C, around row 20'ish, but I didn't see who it was specifically or I would have narced the punk out myself. Very low class move and since it came from so close to so many PSU fans, I am surprised that he wasn't seen.

That said, the security response was also an F, one lone cop showed up after several minutes had elapsed and pretty much stood there for several more minutes before moseying over to closer to where it came from and then did nothing once there.

Terrible thing for someone to do, it socks that they apparently got away with it.
For sure x100. That was absolutely appalling to hear.

The only F I'd give out is to the guy who threw the bottle and to kidwick for always being so emotional.

Ybarra - A+, everyone gets a participation trophy 🏆 Actually I missed his match.

Desanto - B- But only because it's not nationals and I think it was a good stepping stone. He needs to finish his shots.

JE - B Eierman doesn't create much of his own offense, uses mainly counters so I don't mind that he only initiated a couple shrugs before OT but stay chill like Pat Lugo learned to so you don't blow your wad and find yourself exhausted in OT.

Mad Max - A New opponent, and a stalling master. I heard someone say BB is like a civil war musket, it's only good for 1 shot every 7 minutes. Max is getting tougher, I agree that I hope he starts to realize he belongs on the podium.

KY - C- At least he won, wished he would've put up more points as I know he's capable.

AM - A Way to break him, that's what I'm used to seeing from Marinelli. I don't know if it's the loss or because it's PSU but I'm hoping it's the loss so he stays fired up from here on.

Kemerer - B- Don't be afraid to shoot Grandpa Mike, you're really good at it. Starocci is out matched by Kem IMO, but you saw how much harder starocci fought to keep kem down, but maybe Kem's shoulder won't let him do mat returns without risk.

Assad - C Did exactly what he's supposed to do and that's what we needed to stay in it.

Warner - C- Only because that bow and arrow was so brutal, but he shouldn't have been under him in the first place. BTW, internationally they're not letting that go ask Terry Brands.

Cassioppi - A Mentally Strong, had to take a Jedi mind trick to see Kerk beat Parris and not let it affect you. Love Skinny Cass, big Tony IMO wouldn't have fought off the take downs as well.

Last edited:
I was not able to watch last night. Was the fan ejected. One time in Houston at a HS volleyball match a parent threw a full water bottle at a line judge(a high school kid who is a volunteer) over a line call(which can be overruled by the actual officials). He was tossed and banned for the season. Throwing objects at players/officials is bs. Especially those not wearing any padding.
No, they couldn't find him. They certainly tried!

For sure x100. That was absolutely appalling to hear.

The only F I'd give out is to the guy who threw the bottle and to kidwick for always being so emotional.

Ybarra - A+, everyone gets a participation trophy 🏆 Actually I missed his match.

Desanto - B- But only because it's not nationals and I think it was a good stepping stone. He needs to finish his shots.

JE - B Eierman doesn't create much of his own offense, uses mainly counters so I don't mind that he only initiated a couple shrugs before OT but stay chill like Pat Lugo learned to so you don't blow your wad and find yourself exhausted in OT.

Mad Max - A New opponent, and a stalling master. I heard someone say BB is like a civil war musket, it's only good for 1 shot every 7 minutes. Max is getting tougher, I agree that I hope he starts to realize he belongs on the podium.

KY - C- At least he won, wished he would've put up more points as I know he's capable.

AM - A Way to break him, that's what I'm used to seeing from Marinelli. I don't know if it's the loss or because it's PSU but I'm hoping it's the loss so he stays fired up from here on.

Kemerer - B- Don't be afraid to shoot Grandpa Mike, you're really good at it. Starocci is out matched by Kem IMO, but you saw how much harder starocci fought to keep kem down, but maybe Kem's shoulder won't let him do mat returns without risk.

Assad - C Did exactly what he's supposed to do and that's what we needed to stay in it.

Warner - C- Only because that bow and arrow was so brutal, but he shouldn't have been under him in the first place. BTW, internationally they're not letting that go ask Terry Brands.

Cassioppi - A Mentally Strong, had to take a Jedi mind trick to see Kerk beat Parris and not let it affect you. Love Skinny Cass, big Tony IMO wouldn't have fought off the take downs as well.

Good post.
  • I am going to borrow the musket line!
  • Agreed Warner should not choose down here. Commit to winning the TD battle
  • Good point on Cass not letting that get into his head

I absolutely don’t think it represents the whole Iowa fan base. It doesn’t. I had a great time talking with several ppl sitting around us, and they were very respectful and friendly. The ppl sitting down in front of us, not so much. I can see the friendly heckling and gaming, but the things being yelled to PSU wrestlers and coaches by a some fans was mind blowing to me. I’ve never experienced those kinda personal attacks from Iowa fans in my experience at Carver.
You have to remember this type of meet brings in about 1/3 of fans who are NOT Iowa wrestling fans. They are people going to a hyped event and many are also imbibing in alcohol consumption. They absolutely don’t represent the Iowa wrestling fan base. No matter what anyone says about bad fan bases, the truth is every team has good and bad fans. We all represent the many facets of humankind.

Ybarra @ 125 is just a wrestler in the wrong program at the moment. I think he has more talent than we will ever see, but anyone who has wrestled can at least acknowledge what it is like for him to score on guys in the room. Spencer, Drake and everyone Ybarra rolls with just makes it uncomfortable for him taking shots. With different practice partners who he can actually score on, it would be interesting to see if mentally he would loosen up.

I thought Kemmer was very methodical in a good way. Kem looked like he knew he gassed in his last match and needed to be patient during this match. I also felt he was protecting his shoulder and body a bit more staying out of too many crazy positions. I don't imagine he expected to be fending off some of the shots he had to, but that match was well wrestled by both. I think Kem will stay controlled, but more willing to scramble in awkward positions to score when it is his last match at nationals in the championship. Would expect the same type of match at Bigs.

Austin just needs to find a way to hit the shot with an angle and come up quick. Once RBY gets his hip on Austin he is carrying his bodyweight and can't come up. Work in the room has improved Austin and I feel he will finish a couple of those next time with Terry working with him. He is close and I liked his attitude last night. He had every right to complain about RBY cranking toes and his ankles. RBY knows how to get in Austins head, but Austin is close.

149-157 we are solid. Iowa fans can get their undies in a bunch about these two weights, but both are tough, tough guys. I think both will be a bit of a surprise. Like how they wrestle night in and night out.

Warner will also make some changes in the next couple weeks. We have seen him open up and actually get in on re-shots for 2 the last couple of matches. Conditioning needs to improve to beat Dean, but I feel Jacob has the look of confidence I haven't seen before. Looks like mentally it is starting to click, just needs better lungs.

Kidwicked- I have seen the worst of the Penn State fan base at nationals for a good number of years now. Won't bore you with details, but I can say Sam Amine and I experienced some of your worst in an elevator a couple of years ago. The worst part was, they had no clue who Mr. Amine was! How is that possible that they just crawled out of a closet to make complete asses out of themselves in front of a premier wrestling family?

I will give 1 grade, F for audio levels in Carver. Constant very loud music even during intermission. It’s hard to have a conversation. I understand hyping the crowd but it’s over the top. Does this post show my age?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pumpdog20

Do you watch wrestling?

Ybarra had one, and only one, job last nite.

I go back to even the Army dual. Absolutely no semblance of an offensive arsenal.

Which he was about 3 seconds away from accomplishing...what would his grade have been if he kept it to a decision?

125 - f (sucks to have to put 3rd string guy out there but what can you do? Injuries suck.)
133 - c+. As others mentioned he did a much better job getting to legs but then he just stopped wrestling. Definitely closer match than any last year though.
141 - c+. OT was sloppy. Definitely a winnable match (duh)
149 - b+. Did what was expected.
157 - b+. See above.
165 - a. Marinelli had fire in his belly and worked hard for that major. Never a question of who was better here.
174 - b+. A loss but what a match. For being 1 to 1 so late the amount of action was certainly impressive. Would like to see a little more offense from kem vs counter wrestling but also acknowledge he's obviously not at 100%.
184 - c. Kept it to a decision but I think that was also brooks not committing to the bonus. Needs more offense but that's also hard to find when wrestling the #1 kid.
197 - oof. So close to a good grade but the final sequence(s) were just brutal. D.
285 - a. After giving up the first TD it was all Cass. Solid top game and the upper body ties were top notch. Props to vakattack for suggesting this as a winning strategy.

On the flipside of being harsh on Ybarra, I think a lot of you are too high on Young.

Young/Barraclough was basically the same situation as Ybarra/Hildebrandt. Young is a 2x AA, and he can't even take down a guy that has yet to win a dual match in his career. That gets a B+ whereas Ybarra gets an F?

125- c-. I'm not sure how Ybarra got his high ranking in hs. But he isn't there right now.
133- B-. Lots of shots. But I never felt he was actually going to complete them. I'm sure RBY felt pretty comfortable most of the time when Austin shot.
141- B-. Normally taking the #1 guy in overtime would be higher. But mental lapse at end of 2nd period was bad.
149-B. That was a round of 12 type match. Max has to keep winning 1 takedown roulette to score points in March.
157- C. Kaleb young matches are great to get into Carver Cone line early. A win is a win though.
165- A. Bull looked like he should. Berge is tough to score on but he gassed.
174- A. Kemerer's hips are insane. Thought he had two at the end. Starocci is a clingy rider.
184- good job not getting a major. He's gonna need to win a lot of scrappy matches to AA.
197- I liked the aggressiveness in the first. But he gassed pretty hard.
285- great job by Cass. Kerk looked pretty tired as soon as he got on bottom.

Which he was about 3 seconds away from accomplishing...what would his grade have been if he kept it to a decision?
Easily a "C".

Like I said, no one expected a win.

And if he had made any attempts in the 1st two periods, he could have turtled up in third period.

Am I the only one that feels better about March now than I did going in to tonight?

Great win by Cass and despite being dinged at 133, 141 and 174 we are right there with the #1 ranked guys.
Though a very close match at 133, I disagree that Desanto is close to RBY. Desanto was in on his legs at will probably 7 times and was never even close to finishing or putting RBY in trouble. RBY shoots once and takes Desanto down in seconds. You can say, “shoulda woulda coulda” but Desanto needs to improve dramatically to beat him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT