ADVERTISEMENT

PSU grades

Easily a "C".

Like I said, no one expected a win.

And if he had made any attempts in the 1st two periods, he could have turtled up in third period.

OK I would've thought more like a B, but even still, C to F for giving up a last second turn seems harsh IMO.

I didn’t run over here to bash anyone, I’ve been here. I can promise you, I won’t be taking any of my 4 young sons to CHA for a PSU match, after what I saw and heard last nite. Take that as moral high ground, or anyway you wanna take it.
Then I think you would be making a mistake. There is a learning opportunity to every situation. CHA is a unique experience.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Am I the only one that feels better about March now than I did going in to tonight?

Great win by Cass and despite being dinged at 133, 141 and 174 we are right there with the #1 ranked guys.
No you’re not - at least with me. The Hawks had two dominant wins and two others though close, were not really threatened. Penn State had two dominant wins, with one of those over a back up of a back up. The other four could go either way. I thought Desanto out wrestled RBY. Eierman got sloppy in OT. Kem, well there’s that. Warner had it and gassed. I like their chances in March.

We can agree to disagree, but I didn't see a single attempt to score by Assad. He tried to keep it close and he did.
wrong. Rewatch the match. He was in on the legs a couple times. Respectable showing by Assad and Brooks was frustrated he could not do more. If you want to highlight a match of not trying to score, look at the tape of the 133 pound match. Bravo did nothing the entire match but hang on. Should have been one more stalling call on him, at least. He won a scramble and then hung on to win. If Iowa gets healthy, this could be one of the great NCAAs of all-time. PSU fans should keep in mind that the NCAA tourney would have been a done deal with Spencer Lee Wrestling. Tough break for Hawks and a big gift for PSU.

And please, I really do not think any Penn State fans should be on this site lecturing Iowa fans on moral behavior. They should let that sleeping dog stay sleeping..
I didn’t run over here to bash anyone, I’ve been here. I can promise you, I won’t be taking any of my 4 young sons to CHA for a PSU match, after what I saw and heard last nite. Take that as moral high ground, or anyway you wanna take it.
What opposing fans anywhere have not experienced crap from the home fans? If were a Penn State fan, I would keep my mouth shut in regard to any moral judgements. Your athletic department should be trying to operate without football. If any program ever deserved the death penalty, it was PSU football.

If I was a F*n State fan I wouldn't be coming away from last night's dual feeling like a 40 point favorite (or whatever Intermat has them at) going into NCAA'S over Iowa. Onward.

Good post.
  • I am going to borrow the musket line!
  • Agreed Warner should not choose down here. Commit to winning the TD battle
  • Good point on Cass not letting that get into his head
I gotta come clean Art, that musket line I heard from Vakattack 2 days ago but it was good!

Reactions: artradley
1. How does Rivera keep finding work?
2. Why do we always seem to end up having him
3. Why is he allowed to even do Iowa matches?
I can’t speak for how the B1G assigns officials but in some cases when officials are assigned by the conference they can accept or decline. For instance an official in the Mountain West may decline an assignment for Wyoming but accept one for Hawaii. Not saying a destination is always the trigger, but perhaps there are officials who don’t want to officiate at CHA and Rivera clearly loves the attention so he would accept every time. Not saying this is happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: TailgateTom
I didn't realize this was the Army grades thread
I seriously can't understand this unending defense of a kid that is in over his head?

You have to be a family friend or relative.

What you responded to was my comparison that he has shown no urgency or attempts to score all season.

I guess he's better than forfeiting the weight.

I can’t speak for how the B1G assigns officials but I’m some cases when officials are assigned by the conference they can accept or decline. For instance an official in the Mountain West may decline an assignment for Wyoming but accept one for Hawaii. Not saying a destination is always the trigger, but perhaps there are officials who don’t want to officiate at CHA and Rivera clearly loves the attention so he would accept every time. Not saying this is happening.
This makes all the sense in the world, actually. I'm 100% positive he'll take the opportunity to screw Iowa every chance he gets. Shouldn't teams also have the option of declining officials?

This makes all the sense in the world, actually. I'm 100% positive he'll take the opportunity to screw Iowa every chance he gets. Shouldn't teams also have the option of declining officials?
It was a couple years ago (and in reference to Angel, who wouldve thought) when I had this conversation with somebody in the know, but it sounded like reffing is a bit of a gentleman's club and specifically refusing a ref is tricky business, and opens the door for you to receive a whole new level of biased officiating.

It was a couple years ago (and in reference to Angel, who wouldve thought) when I had this conversation with somebody in the know, but it sounded like reffing is a bit of a gentleman's club and specifically refusing a ref is tricky business, and opens the door for you to receive a whole new level of biased officiating.
This makes 100% sense, too! That sucks, but I get it.

Reactions: GoHawks1996
Angel is an awful referee and has no business being a D1 referee. But with the current rules, we’re leaving too much control in the referees hands to determine results. A referee should never determine who wins a match. I’m also getting tired of watching wrestlers clam up, stall, and try to scheme the system. It took us 6 matches last night to see a 1st period takedown. How does that promote the great sport of wrestling? Here are a couple of rule changes I think need happen to promote activity and give referees less of a chance to determine the winner. Heck, both coaches were even disappointed in the performance last night.
1. Absolutely needs to be a step out point. Stay in the dang center of the mat and wrestle.
2. No more choosing top and bottom between periods. If you’re good on top then go get a takedown. I’ve watched enough spiral riding, double boots, and hooking the ankle to last me a couple lifetimes.
3. If you get a takedown, 30 seconds down on the mat before standing both wrestlers up. Lets end full period rideouts with absolutely no activity. For you 1 point riding time lovers, go get two takedowns then.
4. Get rid of the escape point. You can reverse the wrestler still, but I’m tired of watching referees incorrectly and inconsistently call stalling, start the 5 count rule, or miss lock hands. If the referee thinks there’s stalling, stand the wrestlers up. If a wrestler is just holding on or drops down, stand the wrestlers up. The constant stoppages in matches to review this stuff is getting ridiculous.
5. Lastly, get rid of the 2nd referee since they do absolutely nothing and no more of the head referee reviewing their own call. Replace them with a separate crew at a remote location that can review the calls made by the head referee. I understand not all programs can have this for all duals, but it’s a must for the big time meets and programs, conference championships, and NCAA’s.

I would also add it would not be an iowa home meet without clock troubles or confusion.

From watching live Rivera did call the 2 for kem after time, but Kemmerer had 2 before time ran out he just didn't call it.
We, Penn St fans feel exactly the same about Rivera. He is terrible. He hosed Dean out of 2 to 4 pts at the end of the 2nd period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT