ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue with the shade

Left his brothers to join a rival. Says a lot about him as a man
Wow. That's quite a take. Then I guess it said a lot about Nick Saban when he left his brothers at LSU to join a rival (Alabama). And every other coach who's done the same thing in pursuit of the mighty dollar.

It's been explained and explained and explained, but I'm willing to spell it out for you and your buddies one more time:
Charlie Jones gave the Iowa staff spring practice to show him there would be a real QB competition and that there would be significant improvements to the passing game. Iowa showed none of those things, so even though Charlie would have preferred to stay in Iowa City, doing so would have meant wasting one more season, his final collegiate opportunity to develop his skills and give himself the best possible shot at a spot in the NFL.

So Charlie Jones did what anyone with a brain would have done. He joined a program that has a 21st century offense led by a QB that he grew up catching passes from. And after only one game, Charlie has shown what a great decision he made.

And for those who continually harp on Purdue losing to Penn State, get a grip. PU didn't lose because of Charlie. Meanwhile, Iowa's offense couldn't score against an FCS team, and Iowa's QB didn't pass any better than he ever has. If Charlie had suited up for Iowa vs. SDSU, he would have had zero catches for zero yards and zero TDs. But why oh why did he leave the mighty Hawkeyes?

LOL LOL LOL

Wow. That's quite a take. Then I guess it said a lot about Nick Saban when he left his brothers at LSU to join a rival (Alabama). And every other coach who's done the same thing in pursuit of the mighty dollar.

It's been explained and explained and explained, but I'm willing to spell it out for you and your buddies one more time:
Charlie Jones gave the Iowa staff spring practice to show him there would be a real QB competition and that there would be significant improvements to the passing game. Iowa showed none of those things, so even though Charlie would have preferred to stay in Iowa City, doing so would have meant wasting one more season, his final collegiate opportunity to develop his skills and give himself the best possible shot at a spot in the NFL.

So Charlie Jones did what anyone with a brain would have done. He joined a program that has a 21st century offense led by a QB that he grew up catching passes from. And after only one game, Charlie has shown what a great decision he made.

And for those who continually harp on Purdue losing to Penn State, get a grip. PU didn't lose because of Charlie. Meanwhile, Iowa's offense couldn't score against an FCS team, and Iowa's QB didn't pass any better than he ever has. If Charlie had suited up for Iowa vs. SDSU, he would have had zero catches for zero yards and zero TDs. But why oh why did he leave the mighty Hawkeyes?

LOL LOL LOL

Coaches dont live with the players. They dont wake up at 6am to squat and hang clean with the boys. They dont eat every meal or do every rep on the practice field. Big difference compared to the brotherhood of your peers.

Idgaf if he transfers to Purdue in January or transfers to Utah after the spring. But an intra divison transfer after spring ball? Once a hawk, never a hawk for that guy. And LOL at it being a business decision. The NFL will find you in NAIA if you can play.

LOL LOL LOL
When did Saban leave LSU to join Alabama?

LOL LOL LOL
Sadly, there are still plenty of Iowa fans who don’t get it.

With field position being much more of a priority this year, his departure may cost us a game or more.
I think Bruce can be a pretty damn good punt returner when given opportunities and more experience. He did a good job of not letting the ball bounce for lost field position and only really made the one mistake of a fair catch when he had a lot of room to run. I'm not too worried about the PR game, but losing an experience receiver with our dearth of depth is the bigger problem.

Reactions: IAGuy
when millions (including non iowa fans) can see this doesn't make sense not to try the backups.
when padilla came in against nw i could see everything move noticeable faster and smoother. and padilla only had to be average.

When did Saban leave LSU to join Alabama?
Before becoming HC at Alabama he was HC at LSU. Lost his last coached LSU game to Iowa via the 2005 Capitol One bowl Tate to Holloway miracle play.

And LOL at it being a business decision. The NFL will find you in NAIA if you can play.
It was 100% a business decision. Tape playing NAIA talent does not equal tape against Div 1 P5 talent. Case in point, Brandon Wegher set records left and right at NAIA Morningside and went undrafted. If he stays at Iowa or Oklahoma he’s undoubtedly drafted.

It was 100% a business decision. Tape playing NAIA talent does not equal tape against Div 1 P5 talent. Case in point, Brandon Wegher set records left and right at NAIA Morningside and went undrafted. If he stays at Iowa or Oklahoma he’s undoubtedly drafted.

Right....when is the last time we had a runningback drafted?

David Bell was drafted after wideouts from North Dakota St, Western Michigan, and South Alabama. They dont give a shit, they know who can play.

LOL LOL LOL
Minor detail of Mr. Saban leaving for the Miami Dolphins before Alabama, but maybe facts.

Left his brothers to join a rival. Says a lot about him as a man
I'm guessing you aren't concerned about the brothers he left at Buffalo. The Ferentz millionaires didn't live up to their end of the bargain with Charlie and lots of other players by being totally inept at leading respectable offenses, blame them.

I'm not sure if CJ is NFL material but those brothers won't be paying his bills after college so if getting 10x the receptions to put on his resume helps him earn a living by playing football in some capacity it was a great move. We shall see but I bet he has more fun catching all those passes and he'll probably beat Iowa

David Bell was drafted after wideouts from North Dakota St, Western Michigan, and South Alabama. They dont give a shit, they know who can play.
Those are all Div 1 schools not NAIA…kind of a big difference. No idea if CJ is good enough to make an NFL roster, but his best chance to do so is to have evidence and tape of his abilities against top level talent. In a single game at Purdue he’s almost halfway to his total stats from all of last year. It was a smart business decision regardless of how you feel as a fan.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
The combine and physical measurements mean everything anymore. He very well could make a team, but he will be a late round draft pick at best.

The combine and physical measurements mean everything anymore. He very well could make a team, but he will be a late round draft pick at best.
He is gonna find out that everyone in the NFL is big and fast. I don't think Charlie will be durable enough.

Stats matter more to some programs and players than wins. This is evidence of that.
Petty statement. Business decision for Charlie and so far it is looking like a good one. Listed 2nd Team coming out of Spring, so you might want to re-evaluate.

Before becoming HC at Alabama he was HC at LSU. Lost his last coached LSU game to Iowa via the 2005 Capitol One bowl Tate to Holloway miracle play.
There was an NFL stop in between those two places. He didn't jump from one SEC team to another.

Reactions: yrunvs
Yep.

I was at the game, and every time we trotted out for punt return, I said this is where we are going to miss him.

He was that spark.

You never knew if he'd run it back for a TD.
I thought Moss looked every bit as dangerous (and fast) as Jones on those post-safety kickoffs. Our punt return didn't have many great opportunities because there were so many short punts on short fields.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Those are all Div 1 schools not NAIA…kind of a big difference. No idea if CJ is good enough to make an NFL roster, but his best chance to do so is to have evidence and tape of his abilities against top level talent. In a single game at Purdue he’s almost halfway to his total stats from all of last year. It was a smart business decision regardless of how you feel as a fan.

Lol this is the iowa fan board. Glad you guys care more about Charlie's stats than Iowa wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT